So, why is calisthenics so frowned upon in here?

So, why is calisthenics so frowned upon in here?

it supports pogressive overload in the form of progressions for each exercise, it's fullbody 3x or 4x a week, and to do it properly you need quite a bit of skill, similar to when you learn a lift. Hell, a lot of online resources even recommends squats and dl for legs.

Sure, it is another approach to physical exercise and certainly a different result, but how come everybody shits on it?

How do you calculate training volume?
What increments do you progress with?

Depending on the excersice you either add weight (dips, chin ups), hold it for longer (planks, flags), or just progress on the excersice, like if you can manage 3x8 pushups, switch to diamond pushups, then try with rings, and then a planche.

I don't know that much about bodyweight though so maybe others could give better insight

People don't shit on it, it's just there's honestly not much to talk about for the general population, it's a niche even on Veeky Forums. There are good routines around, but progression is difficult and arbitrary compared to weight lifting.

The main problem is that callisthenicsfags try pick "Who's stronger" wars. People in running/swimming/rowing threads don't claim to be stronger than weight lifters, but there's always some 16 year old who thinks he's jacked and that his muscle is 'more functional' (it's why callisthenics general moved to /asp/, since they are always talking about hypothetical fights there).

That's not to say there aren't a bunch of dumb fucks within their first year of lifting claiming to be strong, but there's always huge fucking debates. I think you've only noticed those kinds of threads. When people managed to check their egos and just talk about the subject, those threads slip by unnoticed.

I've seen a lot of people here relating calisthenics with nogains. What you say about progression is right, though. I dont think it is as arbitrary but it sure as hell is more subjective than straight up adding weight.

I think some strenght routines could benefit from some bodyweight exercises.

Also yeah, you wont be stronger than a weightlifter, but maybe have better balance or better control over your body, it's a different kind of result.

well the progressions are definitely not as straightforward as weightlifting. you need to have more information to safely and effectively progress which could become too challenging/ annoying. i've been training bodyweight/gymnastic stuff for some years now coming from weightlifting and it's super fun and i'm loving it but most people have a lot trouble following routines and they get especially discouraged when it's constantly adjusting to your level and changing.

Homosexuals and gym/steroid/powerlifiting shills have something to sell and something to prove.

That's all.

Why do you need to?
If you can do a more advanced/tougher movement and how many reps you can do and how fast you can do it.

If you absolutely NEED numbers to tell you that you're getting better at something then lift.

Bodyweight movements cannot be safely progressed 2.5 lbs per workout. This makes them junk for general strength training.

The Squat, Bench, OHP, Deadlift, and Lat Pulldown (or Chin-Up negatives for those at home) are far better movements for the beginner. They can be trained 1.5 - 3 times a week for a good while, increasing the weight as little at 0.5 lbs a workout if needed.

Your ability to do 10 one arm push-ups or pull-ups won't help you lift a heavy object (which is the more common use of strength).

Because Veeky Forums is more focused on size, not mobility. Cslisthenics can build mass, but not anywhere as good as lifting. I'm more of a runner thus I need lesser mass and more mobility, hence why I do more calisthenics. That's not to say I don't lift. Leg exercises for calisthenics is severly lacking. The best leg is pistol squats, but after that there isn't anything unless you add weight. Hence why I do back squats and deadlifts.

Increasing time held, increasing reps, but it's more so from decreasing leverage and progressing to harder exercises

calisthenics are "easier" if you're lightweight compared to your strength

one big reason many people enjoy weightlifting is that progress isn't staunched by having a bit of extra fat

I love rock climbing and think calisthenics would help me improve a lot, but I'd want to lose some fat to make prgoress easier.

I did a calisthenics year. I made some gains during it, but not as much as I would have in the gym. Mostly my lats, triceps and abs blew up. But other areas like chest, shoulder and legs were starting to fall behind. I created somewhat of an imbalanced physique, going back to the gym now to fix it.

Calisthenics is great and alot of fun to progress through the advanced exercises, but if were talking about gaining size, calisthenics will never win from lifting

>So, why is calisthenics so frowned upon in here?
It isn't

You mean you're too weak to do bodyweight exercises

No, it's that he doesn't want to learn the difficult movements involved with advanced calisthenics. It's just easier to do simplistic movements like picking things up and putting them down.

No legs
+ you look like a douche doing it

Altho a goal of mine is the human flag one day

If you're shoulders were lagging behind then you did something very wrong, they're used by pretty much every upper body exercise. Could you even do a front handspring?

I did handstand pushups and alot of dips. My shoulders did grow, but they didnt get that nice 3d look that OHP, lateral raises and front raises etc give. You just cant hit your shoulders from every angle with bodyweight

You're means you are

Reverse plank
Crucifix pushups

Then progress onto planche versions, you can also do parrellel bars and stuff like that.

The OP asked why Calisthenics is generally not recommended by Veeky Forums

My answer was that Calisthenics is not efficient. It lacks proper progressive overload. It is closer to a demonstration of strength than actual strength training.

For example, in high school, I was into floor work and couldn't hold my body in a "V" position.

Now, years later and without practice, I am able to do it. Why? I credit the ab work of the standing overhead press. I don't do any other movements that directly work the abs.

Calisthenics it's just another way of exercising, muscle cant differentiate tension coming from weights or from your body, the problem with calisthenics its that progressions for building muscle are hard, when you do a lot pushups you reach a point where adding muscle would actually be counter productive, so the body optimizes to be as solid as possible so it has no additional weight bothering it, here's when you need to add weight, to trick the body into thinking it weights more, so it grows to handle that extra weight easily, the problem is that for other exercises where you cant rely on adding weight it becomes really really hard to overload, planche for example, you need to change your body possition while you progress, also to count the second you can hold that possition etc. At the end of the day if you just want to get big its much easier with weights, but if you like calisthenics you can do that too, or both, only have in mind for you to have results you need to progress in some way.

tell me some good routines bros besides foundation

Because Veeky Forumss' goals are different from a person who does mostly calisthenics.

How the fuck am I even supposed to comprehend this?

How to do dips and reverse rows at home without dip bars?

Yaw a cuck

Yo bud, is it possible to do a planch version of a reverse plank? Something I've been curious about. And if so, would it work the back? Could it be a substitute for pulling work?

seems like attention whoring to me

>how can i bench press without a bench or a bar?
You cant.

>Shart in mart detected

Yes with a shoulder with hand placement but I've never seen anyone do an upside down maltese cross. Work the back very well but probably not a good substitute as pulling work is across the whole range of motion and works the muscle in quite a different way

Been doing this for few months and progressed in few categories, currently hovering around chart middle moves. I like it, but damn learning a new move is a bitch.

It usually takes 2-6 workouts to do it properly, at least for me. Probably going to be even harder at the bottom moves.

Thanks brother.

>start doing routine
>can barerly do couple of diamond puchups
>still can't do more than one chin up
>hit pistol squats on 3rd training because I ride bike pretty much everywhere

Is there anything beyond pistol squats? I don't really want go to the gym, because no money and sever autism.

>My answer was that Calisthenics is not efficient.
No it's litterally because people are either too fucking stupid or too damned lazy.

That is litterally all.
Instead of even attempting anything outside of just BIG THREE LIFTS DOO EM POOSSIEE they'll just gear up like the genetically and intellectually inferior fuccbois they are and continue to do their suboptimal babby lifting.

There's a reason why the average slav who's only ever done soccer or the national past time of squatting while in a track suit can outsquat the avearge SS fuccboi with minimum training.

I think shrimp squats are supposed to be harder than pistol squats. Honestly, I like calisthenics a LOT for upper body work, but they don't do anything for my lower body. I could do shrimp squats and pistol squats for reps the first time I tried. I guess it doesn't help that I weigh like 100lbs.

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll try to add weight somehow.

> the average slav who's only ever done soccer
>outsquat the avearge SS fuccboi with minimum training.

so someone whose done sports for most of their young adult life can out squat someone whose just picked up training for the first time?? what a surprise!

My goal is something like pic related
Is this achievable by doing only calisthenic exercises or would I be better off going to the gym?

definitely possible from calisthenics, looks like 8-10 months of startbodyweight or fitloop with good diet

gym.
Some people might debate natty etc but hands down you need weights to achieve this mode

Yes you can, It will be just a little longer to achieve but not impossible at all
Pic related It's me 1.5 years of pure calisthenics (Also natty)

Only if you're a woman

>Calisthenics dont help you life heavier objects

My one rep max on bench press was 110 (same as my body weight) when I got sent to a program at age 15. Did pushups and ate well for 3 months until I was allowed to leave. When I left my program my weight was 125. Didn't touch a single bench press while there but when I got home my one rep max was 140.

nice gains dude but its not close enough to bateman mode to compare sorry senpai

Uphill sprints (running or cycling). That's a bodyweight exercises that could be way harder than pistol squats (depending on the incline)

Try weighted calisthenics

very comparable to kinobody and as retarded as his advice is (imo) he still uses weights.
also im not gonna hurr durr post pics you but i will admit otherwise if it proves me wrong :)

>Bodyweight movements cannot be safely progressed 2.5 lbs per workout

i cringed

>increasing the weight as little at 0.5 lbs a workout if needed.

fucking dyel

>pull-ups won't help you lift a heavy object

holy shit, actually dyel

For more advanced lifters, I would say incorporating calisthenics movements are fine (perhaps even recommended), as advanced lifters are usually very good at judging progression. Weighted diamond pushups are extremely good as a bench accessory.

The problem is two-fold in my opinion: that novices do calisthenics so they simply progress sub-optimally, and that there are some movements (especially lower body) that are completely neglected by calisthenics.

B-but fitizen sama... Just wanted to show that it is possible without a gym, just takes more time

I'm into that, can 6x50kg ring Chin-ups and dips using two of those blue water jugs because I'm poor af

Because some people are only interested in weights, some people prefer to mock what they don't do or don't understand, some people have had bad experiences with either calisthenics or the inevitable cunts it will attract and some people just because

It didn't go up because bodyweight went up it went up since you were literally so weak that any form of exercise would help

too much time and would get too complicated to progressively overload.

although the body mechanics used in calisthenics benefit front delts a lot

Yeah, you're right... But let's say, if money is on his way to get that body he should know that he can with Calisthenics, just slower
If it's not, Gym is the fastest and best answer

agreed, id never knock it as a general way of training.
its always in the back of my mind that now im "bigger" ive neglected all the bw exercies i used to love

>So, why is calisthenics so frowned upon in here?

Every saw somebody get swole with it? That's why, most people don't start at skellington, aim for ottermode and want to spend 5 years on the way.

Can anyone give me some good sources of calisthenics knowledge?
Forums? YT channels? Blogs?

r/bodyweightfitness it's a little bit cringy but it'll help, just lurk

YT:
BaristiWorkout, Calisthenicmovement (Gold tier), Dominik SKY, Dan Jeong Conditioning and Fitness FAQs are the best out there

Its less efficient than just using weights

That doesnt mean its bad. But once you get over the hurdle of dedication needed to get fit the only thing you need to worry about is efficiency.

Thanks.

Use the backs of two chairs.

Looking good senpaitachi, ex calisthenics fag here. I'm trying to incorporate calisthenics to my strenght routine, I want to be able to do a back lever and flag again