Anyone here into boxing?

Anyone here into boxing?
I just started recently and my wrists are fucking killing me. What do?

Wrist wraps?

Wrist wraps my brother. Learn to do them properly and you will have next to no problems with your wrists. Just think of them like seatbelts

Hand wraps. You have to keep them tight around your wrists, enough to keep circulation in your hands but tight enough to get the support. Check your form and make sure you keep a straight wrist through out the entire punch otherwise the force is being obsorbed into your wrist instead of your entire arm.

Why wrist wraps? Can't you just get strong wrists?

You can, but strong wrists won't necessarily mean that wrist pain and injury is eliminated, wrist wraps are supporting your hand in a box like shape that is good for boxing. Wrist wraps are just a support piece and have been used since boxing has been a thing, greeks wrapped their hands and wrists in leather and such.

Starting boxing about a month ago. Had done other martial arts before, but no sparring or full-contact stuff.

Sparred for the first time a week ago. Was fucking great. Got hit in the head a couple of times. It was worth it for the rush though.

How worried should I be about brain damage? I'm a pretty smart guy, and I'd hate to ruin one of my few assets forever. After my first sparring session i had a headache the next day, but it disappeared after some sleep. Was it a concussion?

As long as you don't get bopped constantly for years and years like the pros your brain should stay smart

Yeah someone decided to point that out after an hour of punching the bags. Don't think I was putting them on properly

A girl there suggested I buy some gelled gloves that go under the boxing gloves?

Nope, a headache coming from strikes to the head is pretty normal, especially if it was your first spar. But as long as you don't go into competitive boxing don't worry too much about brain damage, but in saying that anything can happen so be careful in spars. Don't fuck with anyone bigger and stronger than you, becuase weightclasses matter. Hope this helps

Nope, learn to do up wrist wraps properly, i swear to you that if you do them properly you will fell almost no wrist pain. Please don't go with gimmicks, this works the best and will save your hands in the long run.

>tfw big knuckles w/ early arthritis aches
>tfw can never become a boxer because of this

Prove them wrong, prove yourself wrong

How do I get into boxing? I got gloves/head protection for sparring with some friends, and we had a blast. I found a local "boxing gym" but their website is very outdated and i haven't had time to go across the city and check it out. How much do they cost/offer compared to a regular gym? How hard is it to get into amateur boxing if you're already more fit than the average gym-goer?

Mine costs £3 a night.
It's mostly a rotation of people hitting various types of bags. Every 5 minutes a whistle will be blown and get told to do 20 push ups, crunches, planks etc etc, then move on to the next bag over, and halfway through we need to run half a mile.

Sometimes we even box.

I go to a local pcyc and they have a boxing coach and area. Costs me about $10 a session, but i bought a 3month pass, so i can go to all the sessions old mate offers. Getting into boxing is easy, step 1:get really, really fit, step 2: ask your coach about organising some proper fights for you step 3: train like a madman. Boxing fit isn't gym fit, but nothing makes me sweat more.

Being good at boxing has less to do with fitness and more to do with yoyr aptitude for learning technicalities. Actually taking fights will require you to be fit, but learning boxing simply takes a bit of talent and an apt, eager learner.

I know its been said before, but to you and the OP, WRAP YOUR FUCKING HANDS AND WRISTS. Ive boxed for 11 years and my first few years were spent unwrapped. When you dont wrap up, you're inviting all sorts of issues regarding the fine bones and tendons/ligaments in your hands, wrists and arms. You wont feel it at first, but if you're dumb like I was you'll definitely have problems down the line.

Also, regarding wraps: dont get those shitty, expensive evergel shit wrap things everlast puts out. They do very little to protect you vs actual wraps. I see so many people opting for those when they start because its easier. They're like the clip-on tie of the boxing world. Dont be a lazy fuck and just learn how to wrap up. Takes 5 minutes.

Furthermore, steer clear of those big pillowy everlast gloves everyone gets. They're shit. If you have to get everlast stuff, go for their pro training line. Otherwise just grab some cheap 30 buck revgear 16oz gloves and call it a day.

please. you can be a boxing savant, but if you aren't fit, you just can't cut it.

most normies get exhausted from punching a bag for 10 minutes

Your gym sounds sad. More like a bootcamp than a boxing gym

I'll tell you what though

shit works.

Seconding this. Proper wrist wrapping is all you need. You don't even need fancy wraps, just do them right

I don't doubt it, but actual boxing with sparring is infinitely more fun

Didn't say not to be fit, but has less to do with it than learning how to properly carry your technique. If you cant relax properly while you stick and move you'll gas in no time. You're not wrong though.

>Had done other martial arts before, but no sparring or full-contact stuff.
That's called dancing m8. You had done dancing before

That's boxercise, not boxing

maybe your cardio, but not much else

turn hand in slightly when you punch