Anybody here have Crohn's? How do you live with it?

Anybody here have Crohn's? How do you live with it?

I was all but diagnosed yesterday and I feel awful.

Other urls found in this thread:

mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/crohns-disease/basics/symptoms/con-20032061
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My dad has this and it's a real inconvenience, he's built like a tank though so dw you can still get big.

If you eat a good diet that's not high in sugar and processed foods you should find it quite manageable, depending on the severity of your condition.

I don't know much about crohns, so please forgive me, but I find using marijuana helps my IBS somewhat. Look up low-FODMAP diet, maybe.

Colitis fag here, almost two years now. All i can say is find the foods that dont trigger your guts, double your water intake and perhaps drop down to three days a week if you're flaring up. Also swimming seemed to help me in the mornings. It gets better as long as you realize you have to work, live and lift with the disease not against it.

My pharmacist (real pharmacist not a drugs dealer joke) has it and he switched to the keto diet and I believe
He's been off all his medication for two years. Research it.

Looking at it now, id love to get off these meds, thanks user.

Make sure you guys invest in IMNP who is developing an already promising cure for Crohn's disease. Make quite a bit of money too

I was diagnosed with Crohn's about 10 years ago when I had to have an emergency bowel resection - they took out 6" of my small intestine.

is right. The most important thing is to find your trigger foods, avoid them like the plague and stay hydrated.

I recommend keeping a food log and a pain log. After a while you will be able to notice a pattern and identify which foods are causing a flare-up. Crohn's can be very different for people; you could be fine eating something that causes a flare-up for someone else. That's why it's up to you to identify your trigger foods. For me it's anything high in fiber (raw fruits/veggies, oats, wheat bread, nuts).

It's a very simple disease to manage once you learn how. Don't feel too bad OP. you'll get the hang of it

thank you.

I'm just so scared that I'll have to have a surgery man. I hate the idea that my gut is rotting away like that... I really hate thinking that one day I'll have a bag connected to my stomach.

I'm sorry to be saying this stuff to you, glad you've got yours under control. Hope you're doing well and I wish you the best.

Keto guy again, notice most of what people are saying is they can't eat whats pretty much banned from he keto diet already. It may be a good starting point and from their you can do what said and keep a log. My former boss' daughter has Crohn's as well but I don't think she watches her diet and really has a hard time keeping her weight up. The Pharmacists guy I was telling you about however does keep a strict diet and is a pretty fit guy. I think he lifts most days after work. As with any medical thing listen to your doctor and good luck.

there are so many diseases and problems people have. Why can't we just be anime characters with no health problems with only life/death

Diagnosed in 07, 3 resections since then. Its hard to gain weight, I usually have to go 1000 over the calculated TDEE to maintain weight. Eating that much means I poop a ton, my joints get puffy and stiff now and then.

Figure out what foods give you the screaming fire shits and avoid them, stay away from super fibrous veggies unless they're cut small, bananas will stop you up so be careful with them. Tell your doc if the meds make your allergies weird or give you new allergies.

How long was it between first symptoms and the diagnose? What symptoms were you experiencing?

If you keep a healthy diet and lifestyle, you should be able to stay in remission with only the occasional flare-up. It's really not that bad, you just have to get used to being careful about what you eat.

My Crohn's was diagnosed as acute - far more severe than most cases - and I live a totally normal lifestyle. I take my daily medicine, hydrate regularly, eat foods my digestion can handle, and go to the gym 4-5x a week.

I know what you're feeling. I was pretty depressed at first, especially after spending 2 weeks in the hospital, but since I've figured out how to get things under control I feel great. You'll be fine user.

the weird thing is I don't have any diarrhea (thank god). not yet anyway. that's why I was so sure this wasn't crohn's. I don't have fever, joint pain, or other symptoms either; there's no blood in my stool (only once I saw a bit of redness). All I have is abdominal bloating and constant discomfort/mild-ish pain, with a bit of constipation but it's not so bad because I usually shit daily. This started in march with a stomach ache that lasted for a couple of days. since then I've only had a really bad stomach ache like that two more times. I thought it was IBS, so did the doc, but apparently not.

oh yeah, I also lost a lot of weight. Used to be 80kg, now I'm down to 67kg. Feel pretty tired most the time and have low appetite now, too.

I've been ill since March. I had a colonoscopy last night, doctor saw inflammation. he said it looks like crohn's and he's taken biopsies to confirm it. it's really unlikely the biopsies won't confirm the crohn's, but I'm still hoping, man...

they gave me colonoscopy because my faecal calprotectin level was 400+ (whatever the units are). for a normal person they're at 0-50.

I'm not officially diagnosed yet until I get the result next week, but doctor thinks it is Crohn's unfortunately, and in all probability the biopsies will confirm this.

Thanks so much user. I'm really glad you're doing well. Take care dude, wish you the best.

Are you Veeky Forums? How's your appetite and energy etc?

I only started working out and bulking in April. My whole life up until then I had been a skeleton (5'11" 120lbs.) and completely sedentary.

I always just assumed it was because my Crohn's wasn't allowing my body to completely process the food I was eating. It wasn't until I started counting my calories that I realized I was skinny because I just wasn't eating or exercising enough.

Now I'm 160lbs, my goal is 190 with

160 from 120 is impressive from any standard, crohn's or no. Fucking well done dude.

whats it do?

mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/crohns-disease/basics/symptoms/con-20032061

It's chronic and lifelong, often leads to surgery. Can result in you having a bag outside your stomach for a colon. It's incurable but it can be treated and you can go into remission, but surgery is still very probable for most people. Your intestines basically rot away over time.

My gastro told me there might be a cure in the works in my lifetime. Not any time soon, he said, but some day it's likely.

Listen to everyone in this thread OP. Log whatever bothers you and make sure to keep up a healthy lifestyle. I was in your shoes over 4 years ago and as long as you keep track of yourself you can live a normal life.

It's a chronic IBD that can affect any part of your GI tract. The white blood cells surrounding the affected area attack the inner walls which can lead to severe inflammation and flare ups. There's no cure and surgery is seen as a last resort since the disease can pop up somewhere else during your lifetime.

there probably are sick anime characters desu

how are you in the gym? are you strong etc? energy levels okay? do you often feel under the weather or just normal all the time? how bad was your crohn's when you started?

I'm always in pain...

since my colonoscopy yesterday I'm feeling really bad. I was actually feeling better before I had this... it's like I've gone back two months and lost progress (I thought I had IBS, cut out a few things like lactose and gluten. my lactose intolerance test actually came out positive and when I stopped that it made a huge difference).

Crohnie here since 2010, reinforcing what everyone else has said about finding and avoiding your trigger foods.
I'm not sure about overall diet curing you but 'Breaking the vicious cycle' is a book you may want to read to get some insight on it.
Try not to stay on steriods/prednisilone too long and get on to azathioprine (harsh on your liver).
I'm on adalimuab (humira) at the minute and its a godsend but expensive in the US, God bless the NHS.
Good luck user.

thank you very much user. take care.

I'm a novice lifter that only started over 5 months back, but honestly I feel none of my symptoms when I lift. If my energy is low isncause of my shitty sleeping habbits. I take a remicade infusion every 6-8 weeks to keep myself in remission since the other options like steroid medication did shit for me. It was honestly hell when I was first diagnosed because nothing I took lasted. Lost a lot of weight and felt really frail. Just work with your doctors to find what medication works best for you and keep on top of your diet and hydration. You're gonna make it OP.

Thanks user. Take care my dude.