Why do you lift? To get better at a sport, for aesthetics? Not memeing...

Why do you lift? To get better at a sport, for aesthetics? Not memeing, but not having any particular goals is making it hard for me to stick to a program.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nq_J2C6Hrz0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's a semi-restart button for my focus.

Also it doesn't feel natural to not feel somewhat sore.

I just like having something to throw myself at

I wanted to do fighting sport so i started gaining muscle i gained 11kg and now i do judo i run at least once a week and i workout 3x
But whatever i do i know perfectly that i'm doing this to find a false idea of purpose and so i don't look like an empty silhouette in front of people.
Life is hard and i try to be harder

For girls. Any other answer is autistic.

In this age , anyone that lives in a country that isn't 3rd world doesn't need strength for their daily lives.

youtube.com/watch?v=nq_J2C6Hrz0

I lift to protect Serbia

this.
Also, lifting for A girl is retarded. Lifting for girls is not.

>serbia
>3rd world
checks out

Well that's pretty privileged of you to say

But almost all girls don't care about your traps or lats. Hell, if you just have abs and big arms it'll work out.

How you get your whey protein and shit if you in Serbia brati? I know the balkans got issues with that shit and I don't imagine you can throw £50 on this easily.

I compete in weightlifting, but honestly I think I lift because my self esteem is tied to my strength. If I'm getting better and stronger, I like myself. If my lifts are regressing, I don't. Kind of fucked up desu but I guess it's better than a drug habit

>But almost all girls don't care about your traps or lats

I use college sports as an excuse, but in reality I like to look down on other people.

I'm a DYEL sprinter
Realized every sprinter does gym work so decided to start lifting

I'm not in Serbia anymore

But if the times comes...

ULL DO NUTHIN

Then set goals and strive for them retard. Join a team or sport or activity that interests you and find something you enjoy.

DAMN, CHLOE MORETZ LOOKS LIKE *THAT*??

It's all for judo. I am proof that strength doesn't make you look aesthetic.

I lift and do strength training because I'm not gonna have another moment like the one in freshman where I couldn't do a pull up and gym. Now I'm doing kickboxing and chun kuk do, and want to get stronger at that as well. Someday I'll be stronger and worth something more.

lifting for girls is pretty autistic senpai. impressing sloots is just a by product of lifting. lift with purpose either strength or aesthetics.

>Why do you lift?
Just never considerd not lifting plus I enjoy looking/feeling good and being able to pick up heavy things

To feel useful and capable. How can I claim Im fit if I can´t lift heavy things, run a 10k, do hard calisthenics, fight, survive innawoods, and look like a buff dude?

Also to princess carry my bf, no homo.

It's fun.

I lift to take down the globalist jews
and to protect her smile

Because my body is the only thing I have control over.

What anime is she from?

I am 25 and a virgin

I lift to gain confidence about myself

one could say I lift for girls

I don't give a fuck, this is what made me consistent with my program the past 3 months so it's working just fine.

>I have control over my body
>some people smoke 2 packs a day until 90, never get lung cancer
>some people smoke a pack a day for 2 years, quit in their 20s, get lung cancer at 50

you don't have control over shit senpai

>I lift to take down the globalist jews
>elects a president who had picked ex-Goldman Sachs CEOs for his cabinet
Played

Because its the only thing keeping me from fucking killing myself

Survive depression
Fight anxiety
Distract myself from crushing loneliness

you lift for girls but you're a virgin?

Used to be bullied as a kid and my skinnyfat dyel ass got mugged more than a few times. Haven't had anyone try anything since I got big and more confident, now I try to maintain that.

Also I want to eat GREASY PIZZA just like Chad all day without getting fat.

Also bitches.

Sun and Steel any good?

This. I've gotten so used to always be sore somewhere in by body, every time i dont feel sore i think something is wrong

Sun and Steel is really fucking crazy, I haven't read anything with similar ideas anywhere else. It's also really interesting to read it after other Mishima books, gives you a different point of view on them.

Pretty much to keep my self confidence up and have a good attitude while proving the bravado entitled shit aspect for no apparant reason attitude is for wankers. Lot of average people who don't or can't do everything acting real special or being dickweeds but refusing to do anything but "check" other people and avoid them when confronted.

>be me and visit distant family
>she is dying and can't get out of the bed
>she needs morphine for pain but that it messes with her head
>her husband is better but he literally looks grey and has trouble breathing
>only one grandchild takes care of both
>the rest are ungrateful shits that are gonna whine about the inheritance but never visit
>I try to imagine to be her, the pain and the idea you are gonna die soon in this state
>say goodbye and I travel back home
>3 days pass and i get news
>she is dead

I don't lift, I just do bodyweight, cardio and I am a natty and I eat well.

I've just started but this idea keeps me moving

It's not about getting laid, my ego or body dismorphia; It's about trying to appease the crippling fear that I'm gonna die like that, in pain both mental and physical.

I feel good, I look good and it's a productive way to spend time and energy

>To get better at a sport, for aesthetics?
Both of those. Plus its fun to challenge yourself.

Prevent injury. I am an ER doctor (not surgeon) and patients are getting heavier and heavier. My technically healthy cardiofag colleagues all have spinal injuries because they can't handle pushing a 400 lb lardass on a stretcher (they get injured trying to stop the stretcher). I work out with the EMTs since we both have nightshifts. They are the only other people in this field who have to be fit, sometimes I even ride with then since I'm still a resident needing volunteer hours.

One thing I'm worried about is that it's projected 60-70% of all doctors will be female in

can you sum up some of those ideas in a tl;dr
I'm guessing lift weights and sunbathe while not giving a fuck about other's opinions or something??

Because I'm an incredibly vain person and cherish the ability to look down on others. I also pretended to be a grill online for years in my teens despite having been fat, so I'd like to have the body I always wanted to have as a teen now.

To feed my ego and show I'm superior to everyone else.

I started because I wanted to see my body become something that wasn't just skinny. I was curious to see what I would look like.

Now that I'm somewhat fit I can't ever stop because the thought of getting thin and flabby again is so repugnant it fills me with dread.

I like to feel extraordinary.

It's something that I've felt as far back as I remember. I always liked the attention, the praise, and the knowledge that I could do things that other people couldn't. I got good grades in school, went to a decent college, got even better grades there. I went to do a job that most people would be pretty scared of, lived through political instability in a new country, am now coming back to try and get into a good graduate program and start an academic career in a field that I love.

I had never been physically impressive - your classic glasses-wearing poindexter type. I was, at 6'2", about 140 lbs of fat and bone. I started lifting to impress people physically. I want to be intimidating, and now that I'm around 190 lbs, I'm getting there. Not there yet, mind, but trying all the time.

I want to be better than other people, I guess. Being stronger is one way I try to accomplish that. I want to be better because, at bottom, I'm scared that I'm not and that my life has been a lie.
/blog

>hard for me to stick to a program.

MEN DONT DO PROFGRAMS
A man wakes up, ticks in his demons, smells the sunrise, makes breakfast for his youngin, faces the weights and lifts like a boss

When I was younger I gained a rep as a nutter and fought a lot with weapons now I'm grown people still try to test me but weapons equals prison so being strong helps

Hey waddup dude. Im a recent nursing program graduate. Just got straignt into an ER that's a a lvl 2 trauma center

Any general words of advice (medecine, for nurses, ER life)? I used be an an EMT (1.5yrs, mostly IFT transports). I'm also 23 if that helps. I already lift, but these patients are reaching mutantkek size

my body is my only true posession in this world

This x100,000
>be me have alcoholic dad, alcoholic grandpa, alcoholic uncles
>g-pa died when I was young (he was 71) in a hospital bed with oxygen things in nostrils
>father currently in so much pain that all he does is take it out (bitch, harrass, etc.) on my brother, mother, and doggo
>idc about what he does with me
>his pain is due to laziness
>had knee injury 16 years ago, went from cool running dad to alcoholic (self-medicate)
>due to alcoholism because of pain, he has become lazy and ~175 pounds overweight at 5'7"
>is in more pain now because of the amount of weight he has to carry around with him
>the cycle continues
>more alcohol
>more bitching
>more weight
>more pain
>I forgive him

I promise you, an anonymous fitness board, that I will never become that. I will make it and I will die without pain. This is me sinking my ship.

>pic related, is doggo

because of this thread i have figured out why i want to achieve all goals thanks guys

>i want to die painlessly

this goes for mental pain too if i don't accomplish shit i'm gonna be really hurt when i kick the bucket and those skeletons are still fucking watching me bro

Lift to be in the best possible shape for soccer and to de-stress

Because every day I don't is another day I didn't

I saw an article in the local paper about a man who carried his kids out from a fire in an apartment complex.
I realized I wasn't sure I would be able to do that for my kids.
Still not, but getting closer.

Lifting for 'aesthetics' is a negative-sum game; when it's to (theoretically) attract women, it's even more so.

You want to spend some time at the gym to not be fat, get some basic strength, and maybe look like it? Great. Train like a bodybuilder when you don't compete? Stupid. Train like a bodybuilder to pick up women? Flat out retarded. Train for the specific requirements to excel at sports? God-tier.

I only train for movements. I want to hold a full planche and I've mastered the front lever.

All for me baby.

Because lifting is the closest I can get to irl RuneScape

Complete linear progression with different skills (body parts) anyone can be good at it if they do it long enough but few make it there. Powerlifting/bodybuilding comps are like the duel arena, pvm is lifting the weights, and when other dudes also have their shirts off around you in public its like PvP in the wild. The monsters (weights) get progressively stronger as it goes on, but it completely scales to you. Steroids is like buying gold, you still have to work for the results but it's a lot easier. Natty limit is all 99s. Winning the Olympia is the completionist cape. Bosses are like PR sets.

better be oldschool rs user

Sexy

Honestly I think I have a genuine addiction to it. Whenever I stop lifting for more than a few days I get depressed, lethargic, my motivation goes through the floor. It's not even just exercise, because shit like running and swimming doesn't cut it. I need to lift heavy ass weight a few times a week to feel right. It completes me.

to feel more like goethe's faust

Because I am sick of looking like a dyel twat

AMN, CHLOE MORETZ LOOKS LIKE *THAT*??

>using bodybuilding for ALL the skills
its like you want to be dumb boring meathead

To love myself a little.

It's fun. It objectively makes me feel better when I lift. I have no specific goals and don't take diet seriously so I look shit considering I have lifted a couple of years but every time I'm in the gym I enjoy myself.

It is a hobby. Something I do because I enjoy it.

As a hobby to afford me some pride, it's nice being that guy who works out.

>but not having any particular goals
Is having the pleasure of waking up every morning, staring at the mirror, and then seeing one handsome motherfucker not enough of a reason?
If that isn't then you're not supposed to be here.

Was a weak obese old man.
Now a less weak normal-fat older man.

I lift because I used to be at 188lbs 8% bf and I let myself go. I got married and I completely became a fat autistic piece of shit. I said at dinner with my in-laws that I was wanted to get back in shape and they all fucking laughed at my face. So now I've been going hard at it and the memory of them laughing at my face is my motivation

TO BE STROOOOOONG

I literally have nothing better to do. My life was a mistake.

>don't need strength in daily life
What is physically demanding jobs?
What are home projects?
Kill yourself.

I lift because it's fun and it keeps me healthy. I'd like to do local strongman, but I need to get a little stronger first.

What kind of cancerous fucking people do you eat with wtf?

OP. I work for law enforcement and i deal with some shitty people. I have an intense hate inside for people like these and I find lifting is a great way to channel that hate into something more productive. And no, I havent shot a black man by mistake.

t.underage b&

Eventually your hormones level out and you realize there's tons of shit to do on this planet.

Lots of reasons. I started lifting at 19 because I felt tiny and weak compared to my friends. We used to wrestle and climb and lift and throw rocks and shit and I was insecure. I woulded to be more like best mate who's so naturally strong it's absurd (he squatted 3pl8 once without properly working out for months).

Ofcourse now I'm 25 and no one gives a shit. I can outwrestle all of them and I'm as strong at least as the best of them. We aren't likely to find out for sure but weightlifting is pleasure in itself and i do it just because I do. Just because monday, wednesday or friday.

Nowadays I work out because the week feels wasted and empty if i don't but my main motivations for structuring my routines are
1. To be a better martial artist. So lots of legs, core and shoulders.
2. To impress girls not that i ever hit it off with any.

Also just to be the most likeable version of myself. People are noticeably much nicer to me when I'm at the larger scale.

Thanks for the book reccomendation OP I'm going to read that.

It's never a mistake

Because out of the almost decade long span of depression, the only thing I care about, other than my dog, is the idea that I'm working towards becoming some sort of vigilante, and lifting is one of the means to achieve it.

It's probably the most autistic reason there is, but honestly, I'm tired of being a fearful, scrawny punk and I'd rather die protecting someone or stopping crime than in an hospital bed.

>inb4 join the police/military
Pre-existing health conditions prevent me from doing so

Please make lots of mistakes in the future

> To get better at a sport
HMB. The stronger you get the better you are at pounding people with a battle axe.

i have anger issues, lifting helps me clear my mind.
i lift so i don't snap somebody's neck when they talk shit.
i tried a lot of activities to calm down, i read, i study a lot, don't really have time to go out but i do that every weekend, catch up with my friends. thing is, lifting clears my mind while reading and such doesn't, it just keeps it busy.

lifting for girls, like that faggot user says, seems strange and shallow. especially "in a country that isn't 3rd world". doing something for somebody else rather than doing it for yourself is never good.

tl;dr lifting for somebody is shallow and a waste of time, never really gonna make it.

Lifting for girls is a meme.
Lifting for boys is where it's at.

It's just a hobby. Why do we farm levels and gear for our characters in MMOs? Essentially the same thing. A slow repetitive grind which yields reward over time. And if you sink enough time, you'll look badass and everyone will call you a nolife and tell how they wouldn't even want your gear but secretly they're miring and you know it

Lifting is playing an MMO in a real life

>fun
>feels good
>aesthetics
>sense of accomplishment

Because I hate myself
I hated my hostile home environment, I self medicated as a kid with dinosaurs
I hated the fact that I was getting picked on, I used video games as a form of escapism
I hated stress from a school that constantly belittled and punished me for small acts, so I withdrew and just spent all day jerking off
Before I started lifting I had stress from college, my depression was the worst it had ever been and I just didn't see the point in anything. I lifted. For escapism. And it had become the only form of escapism that actually had an impact.
It has become the highlight of my day. I learned how to push myself and do things that I never thought I could do. I have become more confident and energetic. My depression still exists, but I am starting to see the beauty in life.
We're all gonna make it. If you don't believe me, thats fine, as long as you believe yourself.

This

Don't see a reason not to if you've got the time and energy. Humans have been doing physical labour their entire time on earth, can't totally stop when computers come around

Gay blonde vampires are the best vampires.
I really am an awful person.

DAMN, CHLOE MORETZ LOOKS LIKE *THAT*??

I said I use bodybuilding for all of my skills because bodybuilding is mindless linear progression like RuneScape. Everything else is not.

fuck you

discipline
achievement
self control
pride

it helps me from slipping into the void

>strength
>can wear anything you want without looking retarded
>people see you as capable, men respect you, women want you
>dat after workout feel
>health of all aspects
>something you can talk about
>be bros with chad (n-no homo)
>higher chance of employment (>inb4 wagecuck)

and many more. Getting girls is good, but there are more benefits than that.

To be strong enough to protect myself and intimidate others at the same time

>Why do you lift?
Why not.

To show everyone who ever doubted me that I'm not a mistake. That I'm not a bastard. I never new my parents. They were killed in a car accident. It landed ontop of them after they'd been thrown out the windscreen. Every time I lift those weights I imagine myself there, lifting that car off them. I might have never known them but I've met them in my dreams and I know they'd be proud of me.