Why does Veeky Forums have a problem with crossfit?

Why does Veeky Forums have a problem with crossfit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qnjYyfkcaNI
europepmc.org/abstract/med/24276294
youtube.com/watch?v=Uav8EuRZY2A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Look up crossfit gyms in my area
>All $150 and up per month

The major problem with the crossfit world is the way information is presented as absolute truth while it is mostly sort of made up. Crossfit coaches and practitioners are not as qualified as they want you to believe.

Also I personally find something sort of offensive about the extravagance of the workouts; it seems some were invented just to be complicated.

You can achieve equal or better results with a much simpler program than any crossfit program.

cos its gay and snaps backs

youtube.com/watch?v=qnjYyfkcaNI

>human chandelier

shits dangerous

This kind of the truth. I did crossfit and kickboxe for 3 months and without changing my diet (ate a lot of sugars and drank coke a lot), I managed to lose 10 kg. The thing is, you'll get leaner, that's for sure, but if your goal is to build muscle, you're better off with a program that isn't just repping to infinite. Also, there's some crossfit workouts that are great outside of crossfit, especially Annie, which is 50-40-30-20-10 reps of Double Unders and Sit Ups. Did this one for 2 or 3 weeks after every workout and noticed a big change in my abs.

Crossfit is to real fitness what SJWs are to reality.

>it's this thread again

How do you know Veeky Forums has a problem with it if you haven't seen these threads before?

>drive past small crossfit gym on industrial park near my town
>see some guy with a cap on and a chinstrap beard doing deadlifts shirtless outside the gym
>from a distance looks like a decent weight
>as I get closer realise its the faggot bumper plates that are like 8 inches wide.
>its a 2pl8 deadlift
>he drops his last rep from the waist
>looks around to see how many people possibly saw this

I got a little autistic rage in my heart that made me imagine walking over, loading up 6pl8 and showing him he isn't strong or badass like he thinks.
But I just kept driving.

6pl8? wow you must be a big guy.

4 u

lol what the fuck is this?
Especially the empty weights thing

>All $150 and up per month

This.

For 150 I can get a boxing + gym membership with change

I do crossfit with my gf (got a special deal, 60$ a month, usually its 120)

And the guy doesnt load his max deadlift, because its owl and cardio at the same time, so he cant lift his max

Crossfit is different from weightlifting, since I do it I have a good form on squat, deadlift etc. It push you to your max, but if you want to build mass, I think its gonna be hard on it, much faster at the gym

I'm no crossfitter, nor have I even thought of doing it, but these ppl do look ripped as fuck. That crazy ass endurance to....

Can we atleast acknowledge this ?

It's unsafe.
/thread

the fuck is that sanddigging thing? this is hilarious

>An injury rate of 3.1 per 1000 hours trained was calculated. No incidences of rhabdomyolysis were reported. Injury rates with CrossFit training are similar to that reported in the literature for sports such as Olympic weight-lifting, power-lifting and gymnastics and lower than competitive contact sports such as rugby union and rugby league.
europepmc.org/abstract/med/24276294

crossfit:
>complete a certain exercise as fast as possible
>doesnt matter if you herniate a few discs in the process
>coaches are like priests(at least they think so) and the ppl that go to crossfit are simply the mere congregation
>did i mention its unsafe as fuck?

the only things crossfit has going for it self are:
>good endurance
>makes people more aware of the importance of powerlifting, al beit forgetting form COMPLETELY
>incorporates a lot of power and speed exercises

"An online questionnaire was distributed amongst international CrossFit online forums. A total of 132 responses were collected with 97 (73.5%) having sustained an injury during CrossFit training."
Hawhawhaw.

>online questionnaire?
That means they can state whatever they like and still have that high percentage of injuries?
Wow, just wow.

They are the hippsters of lifting. They are just a little bit better than everyone else and they like to show it.

Crossfit in and of itself is a great way to get in shape, especially in terms of getting to a good starting point aesthetically from skinnyfat. Healthy blend of cardio and weight training leads to a balanced physique.

The problem that Veeky Forums has is with crossfitters, not crossfit. People who don't have discipline or in general don't know what they're doing, bouncing around on yoga balls or doing shitty-form chinups saying "it works your core more." These people are not and never will be Veeky Forums unless they get some discipline and learn how to get in shape.

>>Crossfit
>>Crosses /fit

Crossfitters seem to be more dependent on an external trainer-priest than /fitbros. The self-sufficient and self-driven in any sphere tend to look down on those who aren't.

Because all you need for fitness is some discipline and a barbell. Crossfit takes advantage of the average person's ignorance of fitness and convinces them that they need to shell out and over-complicate their exercise to get fit. Everyone gets on the gravy train, from "crossfit gyms" to layman "instructors" to sports equipment manufacturers.

The fact that you're paying money to have people stand around and NOT help you with proper form is an insult.

They also tacitly imply that you need a whole big happy community to motivate you otherwise you'll fail, whereas the reality is that if you can't find the motivation within yourself, no amount of encouragement from your "crossfit buddies" will lead to real commitment.

Essentially. Crossfit is a money-making racket, and as people who care about fitness and want others to become and stay fit, it's a pointless waste of money and time relative to what you can and should be doing.

Crossfit programming is not the problem, Crossfit the institution is a problem. There is a fundamental fault-line between people who are Crossfit fans and those who disagree with its ethos.

>ripped as fuck people doing crossfit
that doesn't mean they got that body from crossfit
maybe they workout somewhere else
or are just hired for marketing purposes

Crossfit isnt bad if it's done right, it just usually isn't.

Most gyms are meme tier. case and point

It's really high intensity, not just on your muscles, but also on your joints (e.g., ligaments, tendons, cartilage). While working out to failure with low resistance is a thing for muscle workouts, you should never train to failure with your joints.

Muscles heal fast. They're usually back in action two days later at full strength.

Other tissues, not so much.

In most sports, you can be competitive if you train consistently for six months, because they depend things that you can adjust quickly:
Fit cardiac muscle
Fit skeletal muscle
High VO2 Max
High Lactic Acid Threshold

Crossfit does a lot of gymnastics style workouts that intentionally use disadvantageous form to increase resistance with body weight. In gymnastics, this is fine because progress is slower and there's more focus on safety and developing the necessary strength in all parts of the system behind your ability to move: muscles, ligaments, and tendons. There's a reason gymnasts start young and train for years. For example, in men's gymnastics, an Iron Cross on the still rings is a B level skill (on a scale of A to E, E high), and it takes a few YEARS to develop the tendon and ligament strength to do it. To Crossfit's credit though, I've never heard of them trying to push anything higher than A level skills. They do reach higher impact, though because they do them at high velocity and to failure instead of focusing on perfect form and letting speed follow when it can.

Cont.

By allowing themselves to try that, they deserved fucking up.

Marketing

Even Reddit knows it is shit.

All the same, using gymnastics style exercises under your own weight is appealing to both gender groups. Generalizing here, women like it because of the misconception that you will bulk up iff you lift heavy weights and men like it because of the misconception that more pain is better, and training to failure at high speed under your full body weight will do that. Finally, it appeals to everyone because it's convenient: you get your cardio and resistance training done all at once, and because everything hurts afterwards it simply must be effective.

The truth is that gains are earned at the gym, but made in the kitchen.

If you want to gain body control strength that you find in gymnasts, you want to do actual gymnastics or bodyweight fitness routines that are based on gymnastics progressions, instead of just using the same exercises. It'll take more dedication, but your joints will thank you and your results will ultimately be better. If you want a strong, efficient cardiopulmonary system, do cardio. If you want to get strong muscles use high resistance. If you want to get better endurance, use lower resistance for longer.

>Can literally buy all of the gym equipment after a year's worth of premiums
>Most of their regulars use juice and achieve subpar results
>High injury rates due to unbalanced ancillary training and tendonitis/impingements/imbalances
>Can find better resources, programs, and technique online for free

It's basically a cult. The only blackmail the leaders have is the knowledge that their members are paying way too much money for bad advice

Crossfit is simulated manual labour for those who are too poor to afford to work the land.

The basis of the system is fair, but most of the exercises done are crap. Too complicated, and some of the stuff is just garbage.
Climbing ropes -> yes
Sand-digging -> no

I went to a Muay Thay class once where the """teacher""" did the following endurance training: spin someone around until they get dizzy, than have all the other guys punch him while he tried to block.
Kinda like this: youtube.com/watch?v=Uav8EuRZY2A

Several coherent paragraphs of well structured text on this monster energy drink advertising forum. I'm actually impressed.