How do you guys balance Veeky Forumsness and education? I'm in my fifth semester of uni and things are ramping up...

How do you guys balance Veeky Forumsness and education? I'm in my fifth semester of uni and things are ramping up. I feel like I never have time for the gym anymore.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MtcLh_8eOic&list=PLnGBcsajZuOCOvRya_zbkCEXkW2h1yEmz
mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57289.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Really? You're just gonna post that as your image? Oh boy. Oh gee. I am really excited to see what this thread turns into. You're never getting a serious answer.

Also it's sixteen. Just to get us started

Is tha a shop?

>implying he wanted a serious answer

It's the only school related image I have. Contain your autism.

Common core just means you drop the PEMDAS rule.

how in the nigger loving christ does that make 16? PEMDAS god damn it

No it's a school

teehee

You have to open the brackets first, do all the eqautions within the brackets
20/5(2*2)
20/5(4)
then open the brackets
20/20
now do the rest
=1

of course it makes sixten you stupid fuck. Why would you do anything with the 5 and the bar behind it before you divide 20 through 5

Not with common core, common core does not apply the PEMDAS rule. Hence why it's so confusing.

No, you do what's inside the brackets first
20/5(2*2)
20/5(4)
Then left to right order of operations as multiplication/division are the same priority
(4)(4)
=16

what is pemdas

Why are people who don't know shit about shit also terrible people in general

protip on how not to be retarded: dividing isn't different from multiplying. it's just multiplying by the multiplicative inverse

That's fucking stupid.

PEMDAS
MD
Multiplication comes first. You do the 5(4) before the 20/20

Left to right is a meme that children carry with them through adulthood. It's 1

The confusion is over the '/' meaning an implied fraction or meaning division (this symbol ÷)

You could interpret it as

20 / [5 * (2* 2)] or as 20 ÷ 5 * (2* 2)

unsolvable equation

this fucking picture triggers me

>Americans

>Has never taken a college math class.

Huh? I don't see any equations in the pic.

MD go together left to right. Same with AS. It's whatever comes first, since technically they're the same.

Millennial logic in a nutshell

20/5(2*2)
20/5(4)
4(4)

wow

at the top of the picture

No

Yeah I was just being a dick. It's not an equation, it's an expression.

He's okay right?

20/5(2*2) =/= 20/(5(2*2))

Can someone explain what's going on?

youtube.com/watch?v=MtcLh_8eOic&list=PLnGBcsajZuOCOvRya_zbkCEXkW2h1yEmz

I am doing a PhD in theoretical computer science and I pretty much spend my entire day at the university and go to the gym at night

Yes it does. Parentheses are implied in this case. If it was as you say it's be (20/5)(2x2)

mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57289.html

oh you guys don't get it.

common core is trying to teach real mathematics, not just arithmetic.

it's designed to teach mathematical intuition, instead of the arithmetic drills. i had common core in high school for algebra, but i used pemdas, and other basic shit.

now i'm doing a masters in mathematics. i mean, maybe common core helped, but i can absolutely see how it is a valid concept to teach.

thing is, i don't even remember being told why they are teaching it, they seemed to leave it up to us to figure it out, which is why i couldn't remember exactly what it is. but seeing that picture reminds me of what it is.

you guys need to learn about the different classes of numbers, like reals, integers, naturals, and then you'll see how the number line can be used to do maths. then once you have that sense, moving onto things like group theory, and number theory (basically the makings for a great mathematician if you learn this shit by the time you're a teenager) you'll be set for life

not sure if you are serious but those two are different equations

If you actually knew anything about common core you'd know that they focus on how to teach the kids increasingly difficult problems in their heads by breaking them down into smaller parts. This is a very simple example of breaking down an addition problem probably in like first grade. It's not trying to say that 8 + 5 can equal 10.

Teacher here,

Common Core is garbage, but most of Veeky Forums wouldn't be able to articulate why in favor of whining about SJW shit (teachers could always push that agenda if they wanted and quite a few do) or posting troll pics like this. On the edge of the frame you can see she is actually teaching a science lesson (weather, if I recall)

Probably the best thing Trump could do right now is repeal Common Core, as it's forced shitty teachers towards finding more structured lessons online or in text anyway and the standards otherwise prevent average to good teachers from being able to customize their curriculum effectively (as tying lesson content to explicitly meet all standards is an enormous undertaking.) Math also suffers from too much breadth over depth, most of the students will never benefit from having ten different ways to multiply but will suffer greatly for not having enough time on the fundamentals. The only winners are the textbook/test writing companies like Pearson, because Common Core makes it very easy to sell textbooks to make money hand-over-fist (they automatically meet the standards so districts are buying new books in droves) and easy to assess.

Whatever bro. It just confuses the shit out of kids trying to get a practical degree when they get to college. You can't expect normies to learn philosophy through math

I wrote 20/5(2*2) in wolfram, shit gave me that result

Common core might tie up the hands of 'great' teachers but aren't there a lot more crappy teachers than great ones? In which case we're better off not leaving them to their own devices? Personally I had teachers in high school who did nothing but talk about their personal lives to the class or showed us videos every day and we never learnt one single thing about the subject

Your calculator is only as smart as the user. These problems require you to actually work it out yourself or enter them correctly into the machine

Except the capacity for practical abstraction is very limited in children below the age of like 12. At first grade, children require more concrete forms of quantitative reasoning for them to understand the principles.

Components of numbers (e.g. counting the number of 10's in a given number) is a relatively meaningless concept to the child

There's a reason why you always always hand-write division in the form of a fraction because it's 1000x easier to think about it that way

Assuming you end up with a decent job, you will never have more free time in the remainder of your life than you do while in uni. Stop whining you fucking faggot, college is easy as fuck.

what exactly is "real" about this the question says carole read 28 pages and 103 pages. not "about" that many, not "roughly" that many. so why does the answer need to be estimated?

Well, thats because it is (20/5)(2*2) famo

No. What's right is right. We should start by actually paying teachers a good salary and hiring competent ones who have degrees in the subject, not liberal arts idiots who just stay one lesson ahead of the student

I dunno, I am not a teacher but I happen to work with elementary school kids and so I have had to learn a lot of these common core concepts when I help with their homework. At first I was like, fuck this new shit let's do it my way! But all the non-special ed kids were grasping it and churning out answers at a rate that impressed me and that's what made me stop and rethink it. I think they're smarter and more capable than we give them credit for just because we got treated like morons when we were that age.

No you always start with parenthesis that are actually given

Can someone please explain this to me? Why did the person lose points for not "estimating?" Is estimating simple math a requirement for this type of class?

They're churning out answers because they're learning to work with the system. It doesn't mean they're developing mathematical insight into what they're doing, which is part of what common core is sold on.

It's not that children are idiots, but parts of their brains that are responsible for what we refer to as practical abstraction don't start developing until close to adolescence.

t. fag that came from a family of specialized educators

I think I got this.
They want to teach kids to make approximations.
How many pages did she read?
About 70 is a reasonable answer and
75 is a precise answer, both are correct.
But wording is retarded, it's way too easy to quickly calculate 103-28, so there is no need to approximate at all, and a teacher is a dumbass for not accepting a valid answer, so yeah
>Murica

MFW they are trying to push the "IGNORE THE CONSTANTS" agenda to small kids

anyone in computer science should get this feel

Option 1
>go really early in the morning before class and get to bed very early

Option 2
>sleep very late(if your classes allows u to do this) hit the gym very late at night

I have class 4 days a week, with fridays and weekends off. So I workout Thursday night, Friday night, and Sunday afternoon. I know the spread of this isn't ideal, but I'm not left with much choice because I have trouble getting enough sleep on the weekdays as it is. I can't afford to have a 90 minute workout session.

Constants become irrelevant when problems become big so fuck constants.

After working out I can't really focus on anything for the rest of the day. That's why I only workout on days when I can afford not to study afterwards.
When I have a lot to do in a short period of time for the university I usually don't workout at all
am I the only one?

they're the same fool