AMA - Exercise & Nutrition Science (hons) student

Yo fit, havent posted in a few years but am about to graduate Exercise & Nutrition Science at one of Australia's top unis, accepted into honours next year and thought I'd put my knowledge to use and give back to a board that guided me in my early lifting years (seen as there are no jobs lel)

CV: Been lifting for 6 years
Bach in exercise & nutrition

AMA - if anyone cares/has any burning questions

Other urls found in this thread:

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/4/1088.2.full
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

FINALBUMP

finalfinalbump

what foods help height growth the most?

Milk as it contains growth factors and in young kids dairy consumption has been shown to correlate with increased height. Also elevates IGF-1 which MAY help

how old are you?

>honors
>nutrition major

Unless you turn that joke into a career in medicine, its a glorified PT.

what is your opinion of routine structure? should lifters follow a strict 3 4 or 5 day a week routine doing the same thing week in or week out, or schedule in mini blocks (2-3 weeks) based on what he/she desires to bring up - whether it be physique or performance wise?

Thanks mate.

18, Why?

Wrong. Height gains is very very strongly tied to your genetics. Of course you may have epigenetic changes that can drastically alter the fate of your height, such as short gene gets silenced, tall gene gets amplified or vice versa.

Proper nutrition only realizes your height potential.

i think austrailia has stricter laws about the title of "nutritionist" and such.

exercise science is a real degree. good luck getting a job outside of being a trainer though.

no need to be mad homie, doing honours to get a few publications under my belt and am currently in the planning stages of a paper on natty test boosters with a PhD student

Plans were to get into med, a PhD in brain ageing or to start my own nootropics company. Unsure of which route to take yet but still have a fair bit of time to decide.

Depends on your training status

If you're average in genetics and below intermediate-advanced lifts 3-4 days a week with consistency until you stall will serve you best but as you reach advanced periodisation becomes a must.

Periodisation is also more important if you're focusing on athletic training which requires performance in multiple trainable skills like speed/power and strength

Just wondering, theres still time but all evidence in the topic is still reasonably sketchy, genetics being the massive determinant. Proper nutrition and what i mentioned above MAY help, its not very well studied bar associative studies in kids i mentioned prior.

Pretty much anyone can claim nutritionist status in australia, dietetics is the highly regulated title and you need a dietetics degree to qualify.
Nutrition and exercise science are saturated as fuck and not very highly regulated. job market is heaps saturated.

anectodally - i am 5'8" despite a 6ft brother, 5"11 dad, all uncles over 6'0, both grandpas 6'2" and a 6'7" great uncle. played lots of sports and ate lots of good whole food as a kid.

but, i stayed up until 4 or 5 am every night of the summer i was 13 or 14. go to bed if u want to GROW

Yeah shit like that will not help, genetics set the base but environmental factors hold large influence. Your body isnt going to prioritise height if its struggling to reach optimal development in other, more important aspects of physiology ie the brain and organs.

so the more advanced, the more structure you need?

Yeah, to put it simply the body doesnt want to waste resources and energy adapting to stimulus and as you progress it becomes harder to force that adaptation, therefore stimulus needs to be varied and larger, and thats the basis of periodisation

>18, Why?
You're 18 and about to enter into an honours degree without having completed an undergraduate degree of at least three years? You start uni at age 15?

I'm not 18 lol, thats the dude who had the height question.
Im 22.

Yea I realised as soon as I hit post

When I was 14-18 I had a very poor diet and never ate that much. Before I became depressed (the reason why I ate so little) and extremely underweight, I was the tallest kid in my class and my doctor said that with my growth rate, I will most likely be 6'2. I'm 18 and 5'8.

I've begun bulking, gaining weight and lifting. I'm still the same height. I'm just wondering, did I completely fuck up my height forever because I was malnourished during high school?

No

I would say with 99% certainty no, growth stunting only really occurs under severe protein and energy deficit, almost impossible to achieve in the western world but occurs a lot in the third world. Don't stress dude.

Does this just mean it was in my genetics to be a manlet?

Do you think I'll grow or stay the same, assuming I eat well? I don't hold out much hope.

My dad and brother are both 6 feet.

Question related, may depression actually stunt your growth? I'm reaching but i'm thinking maybe cortisol levels being high... dunno

As much as the answer is cliche, its very largely genetic. Men achieve peak height velocity later than girls and its duration is highly variable, do some literature searching of peak height velocity or something similar and have a look. Some dudes continue growing into their 20s and 18 is definitely not too old to write it off. However, it may be in your genetics to be a manlet, hard to say. My advice: dont stress about it, do some reading on stoic philosophy and live your life thinking like that.

Theres research coming out linking depression to brain (and therefore systemic) inflammation, unsure of any research on inflammation and growth but given what I know of the effects of systemic inflammation I'd say its entirely possible. It stunts muscle growth and dysregulates most aspects of physiology.

also keep eating well, overconsume fruit and vegetables, and supplement high dose fish oil/eat a lot of fish.

I hope that if I eat enough I can grow. I'm definitely drinking a lot of milk, something I rarely used to do, but not entirely GOMAD because I can get enough calories to still gain weight.

But thanks, I will definitely read up on that.

I'm a poor college student, so the only fish options are tuna. I used to eat that a lot a few months ago but cut down on it after reading about it's mercury content.

And I eat a lot of fruits but not many vegetables just because of their availability for me.

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/4/1088.2.full

Keep at it homie, evidence is stronger than I'd remembered.

For what its worth, I drank a glass of milk per day on average from a wee tot and, despite it making me fat as a teenager, I ended up 6'2, my mum is 5'2 and dad is ~6 and by far the tallest in his family.

any tips to fit vegetables in a bulk if you're low appetite? I mean, if i eat a lot of vegetables i simply can't shove anymore foods in my stomach.

Fuck tuna man, as far as omega 3s goes its pretty shit. And the mercury content is NOT good. Sardines (in olive oil preferably - for reasons not related to omega-3s) are waaaaay better and just as cheap.

yeah man, buy a blender, buy some kale, carrot and ginger and some oranges. Blend like 5 kale leaves, 5 carrots and 2 oranges with water and ice and you have a delicious juice full of a ridiculous amount of beneficial compounds too long to list here. Cheap, easy, you'll hit your vege and fruit intake with little effort + your skin will fucking glow bc of all the Vitamin A in carrots and kale. The honies will love it.

oh and regarding appetite, its still gonna fill you up because of all the fibre but i cannot stress how much easier it is to get your vege intake that way. It legitimately changed my life.

Fuck salads, way too filling, not dense enough and way too filling.

CLIFFS FOR ALL THE MANLET/HEIGHT BRAHS

Calcium in cows milk is important for bones, bone growth but ALSO has bioactive growth factors in it originally meant for the calf but that also have activity in humans. Drink up boyce

I'll definitely try that. I'll just drink it before sleep when I already hit my macros that way will be easier. thanks

No worries. good luck mate.

ELABORATION

I have great personal interest in fasting & ketosis and how they pertain to health, brain health and cancer. My honours project is examining the effect of fasting & keto on brain health specifically. So fire away if anyone wants to know anything about the above topics or anything fasting/keto related in general.

One final bump before I get back into study.

Is intermittent fasting without ever going into ketosis good for fat loss? How is it different compared to actual ketosis? Is ketosis even natural?

Becoming fat adapted/more metabolically flexible is indirectly good for fat loss through appetite control. When you don't constantly elevate then deplete blood sugar (as you would eating small meals or even three meals/day) it removes the intermittent orexigenic (appetite increasing) signalling mediated by low blood glucose level, leading to less desire to eat. Also if your body is adapted to burning fat as it would be were you to fast, it wont freak out or go into an energy crisis when you go without a meal. It also appears to have benefits regarding muscle maintenance whilst in a deficit and that will also indirectly contribute to weight loss through maintenance of BMR (basal metabolic rate)

It is very, very similar to ketosis physiologically.
The main difference being rate of triglyceride synthesis and storage as dictated by dietary energy availability.

lol, should've answered these in the one go. my bad.

Yes ketosis is natural. Our ancestors evolved in an environment of low energy availability and low carbohydrate availability. You achieve ketosis after ~3 days of a fast or very low cal diet and this wouldve happened regularly. With exercise and low carbohydrate consumption ketosis can be achieved relatively easily, again wouldve happened regularly to them.

the body adapted mechanisms related to planned cell death and regeneration of various physiological systems that occur only when fasted or on a low calorie diet for an extended period of time, many of them are only being discovered now.
Also calorie restriction through IF or otherwise activates a range of genes related to improved cell resilience resulting in an improved stress response and improved health overall. They're rather complex but there are many and they're very, very important for maintenance of good health. Expect intermittent fasting as a public health intervention within our lifetimes, also if youre interested look into the effect of IF/ketosis (not one in the same but some aspects are) and how they improve cancer treatment and the effect they have on brain health and disease as well as autoimmune disease, to name a few. It's honestly amazing, the way we live and eat now is NOT at all what our bodies have adapted to and the health outcomes you see in the west are testament to that. But things are changing despite massive resistance in academia.

Thanks user. One more question: Is intermittent fasting only effective if your diet is generally low-carb? I mean, I try to cycle carbs and on my high-carb days I eat 200-300g carbs. Doesn't it defeat the purpose of IF?

Thanks again, this is really interesting.

Nope. it will improve insulin sensitivity meaning that even if you eat high carb (at night, say) the body will dispose of said carbohydrate through either fat storage or glycogen synthesis, leaving you to return to use of fat for fuel by the time of your next meal. Obviously extreme carbohydrate consumption in large energy excess could overcome this but then you'd just be a fat fuck.

between-day carb cycling will help to improve insulin sensitivity (ala leangains), as will training fasted.

PPS - fuck the IF hate, a recent study showed improved strength and muscle mass gains accompanied by higher fat loss in advanced trainees - average weight 80kgs with a bench (non 1rm) improvement of +~7kgs to ~110kgs in the IF group. Amazing results.

Thank you based user, this is what I was hoping to hear.

NP my brother, all the best