I'm a new lifter, just getting into it. Formerly a fat fucker, not so much now...

I'm a new lifter, just getting into it. Formerly a fat fucker, not so much now, due to 25 mins HIIT every other day and a 500 calorie/day deficit. I'm now 188lbs from 228lbs.

I'm looking for a nice simple program to give me a good strength foundation. I've been reading about the Stronglifts 5x5 thing as it's supposed to be a good place to start for beginners to get the fundamentals right.

Anyone else used stronglifts?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes, Stronglifts should give you a good base for the first few months; it certainly worked for me.

Depending on your build you might find the basic program bit lacking in upper body development; in that case you might want to add those dips and pullups to your workout.

Thanks man

and do the pullups on the bench day and the dips on the ohp day.

SL is fine. Lots of people here started with it, and it's sticky-approved. I think the sticky offers Stronglifts, Starting Strength, Reg Parks, and Sean10mm Stripped as good beginner routines. They're all basically the same, they get you from barely being able to lift the bar to getting to the point where you're stalling and hitting your limit on noob gains, and then you're ready to move on to an intermediate program. This is typically 6-12 months.

Stronglifts gets a little stank sometimes because the creator, Medhi, is a businessman/marketer first and foremost while the other programs were generally written by actual bodybuilders/powerlifters. That doesn't mean the program is bad, he knows his shit well enough to walk you through the first 6-12 months of your journey, but his program is FULL of branding and telling you to download his app and shit like that. If you can overlook that then SL is a great program.

try this

Day 1:
BP 5x5
Incline Dumbbell BP 4x6
Rows 3x5
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x8
Skullcrushers 3x6
Day 2 Rest
Day 3:
Rows 5x5
Incline Dumbbell Row 3x12
Close Grip Lat Pulldowns 3x15
Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3x12
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x10
Upright Rows 3x12
Day 4:
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 3x6
Leg Extensions 3x15
Leg Press 3x12 Calf Raise 3x15
Leg Curl 3x15
Day 5:
Dumbbell BP 5x5
Incline BP 3x8
Incline Dumbbell Bicep Curl 3x15
Tricep Rope Extensions 3x15
EZ Bicep Curl 3x8
Dumbell Flies 3x10

rate me pls
will i become a greek god

Probably not. You're going to die some day.

as this user pointed out, SL might lack a bit of upper body work.
you could try going for Phrak's greyskull LP.
im currently on it and i like it a lot, i was doing a bb ppl routine before and it was so heavily focused on isolation.
i generally throw a bit of isolations at the end of the work out (one day lateral raises, one day biceps + tri, one day seated rows)

consider it!

People actually do this shit? Fuckin l o l

I was looking at his app - It's really quite good. The only thing you actually have to pay for is a bolt-on thing for the app which includes a plate calculator and a warm-up guide

Just do regular SS, SL is a shitty meme because it has no power cleans, no dips, no pull/chin-ups and is 5x5 instead of 3x5.

You can do SL for a long time (same with any beginner routine) as long as you start adding in accessories. Hell, I hit 4/4/2.5/1.5 before I stopped doing SL and I probably could have kept going, I just got bored.

What about reddit's PPL routine?

SS/SL is good, sometimes great, but there are mor e optimal ways for everyone to train, including novices. I don't care about about simplicity. I don't care about your motivation. These arguments are not relevant when discussing pure EFFICIANCY.

Here are more optimal routines:
* Sheiko Novice Stage 1 & 2
* 2Suns 5/3/1

>reddit

dude imagine if you had kept going I bet you'd be diddling 7 pl8s by now and squatting 6 pl8s.

shouldn't have gave up pussy.

i do like routines with 5 rep sets since i am doing 12-8-8 as sets, i never had the chance to test my 5 RM for a long time.

do ss, sl is a huge meme

>ss: markos ripotos, former powerlifter, has 30 years coaching experience, wrote a few books that are pretty much mandatory reading
>sl: a """belgian""" guy called mehdi that lost at arm wrestling against a bunch of dyel t*rks (while he himself had been a bodybuilder for years); he's an advertiser by trade, and literally the only good thing about sl is "there's a fancy app"

>wrote a few books that are pretty much mandatory reading
the biomechanics parts of starting strength sucks

Funny guy.
This one:
reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

The fancy app helps though, selling point desu

Don't do this. There's "minimalist", then there's "why even fucking go to the gym".

NO

OP of that thread doesn't know ANYTHING about training. Just stalk his profile for a while. He's literally clueless.

* Cuckols
* Sheiko Novice, from forum or app, they are different though
* 5/3/1 LP variations ("for beginners" or "2suns")
* GZCL (GZCLP variation for new lifters)

All these programs will be slightly better than SS/SL or any variation thereof. They will build your general fitness to a much greater degree, and not just raw strength, which will bite you in the ass int he future anyway.

Hey guys,
I used to do SL and now do a variation of SS.
I have now plateued on bench and squat (90kg/120kg) and swear I eat and sleep enough.
My guess is that my CNS has got used to the exercises.
Is changing to a high volume program useful?
If yes, which one?

So let me guess, SS then?

try to not workout for 2 weeks or so, your cns will be pretty shocked when you get back, you could even do a mini cut in the period.
high volume, 300kcal deficit, cardio that kinda stuff, 2 weeks, then hit it hard again

So would you recommend all the basic SS lifts with just more reps or any isolation exercises in addition?

No, I posted this

ofc not, do a bodybuilding style program, maybe a ppl or something.
i believe bodybuilding dot com has a pretty good ppl, otherwise search for linear progression ppl and then just take the linear out of the equation and do the exercises, add and subtract isolations as you wish

What do you mean? Do you think SL/SS work forever? I don't get why people change LP programs. Just stick with ONE. Let it run its course and change to an intermediate one. I swear I see the same shit every day: "uh i started with icf 5x5 and switched to sl 5x5 but now i do SS, but i'm not gaining anything, help?".

You're missing the entire point of a LP program. It's not supposed to last forever. It's not about your CNS being used to the exercises. You just need to add more volume, and begin working on your weaknesses, simple as that.

Analyze your lifts, find out where you're failing, find out the reason why you're failing in that particular part of the lift, find out what muscles are responsible for failing that particular part of the lift (or if it's simply bad technique), find the closest resemblance to the lift that adresses said issue.

If been doing the Reddit PPL and I've seen huge improvements desu.

this is pure bullshit what the fuck.

to the guy asking a question, look up deloading and what it means. Dont listen to broscience

SL and SS is a fucking meme.

Just fucking do PPL 6 times a week, 4x8 per lift, 2 compound lifts + 3-4 isolation lifts per muscle group goddamnit. It's been scientifically proven to be the method that maximizes gains.

fucking memesters with their faggy ass SL bullshit

Do strong lifts and progress onto gslp