Go to walmart for the first time in 5 years

>go to walmart for the first time in 5 years
>pass through the food section
>notice this
>$2.49 for a whole fucking chicken

what in the fuck? Why haven't you faggots told me about how cheap chicken is at walmart? All this time I've been buying expensive chicken and cooking it myself. this is so fucking cheap

Is there any downside to eating 1 of these a day to get all my proteins in? it's approximately 1200 Cal for the whole chicken.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/5ecku6/eli5i_just_bought_a_whole_cooked_chicken_at/?st=ivu4059l&sh=cfe5273f
oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/ajh/iom_sodium_report_commentaries.html
reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/5ecku6/eli5i_just_bought_a_whole_cooked_chicken_at/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Those are the ones about to expire. Go to Sam's club in the AM if you want to save bank.

no

>Is there any downside to eating 1 of these a day to get all my proteins in? it's approximately 1200 Cal for the whole chicken.
sodium

is it still reasonable to get them at $5 or $6?

>falling for the sodium is bad meme

Just drink some water lmao

>american dollars

no then you're better off with tuna or sardines
if you do cardio everyday sure
if not have fun dying early over cardiac arrest

I don't have a memebership to sam's club. If I'm going to eat them the same day, the expiration date wouldn't matter though would it?

I'll probably eat it without the skin, so I should be good. I also drink 1.5 gallon of water a day, so any sodium would flush right through me

The ones marked down that heavily are indeed the ones about to expire, as pointed out.
He's also correct in recommending you go to Sam's club for fresh, cheap chicken.
A whole chicken like that will run you approximately $5 at Sam's Club, and you have the added benefit of getting your products, meals, and in general nearly everything you need at a cheaper price and in bulk.
That and the food is typically higher quality as well at Sam's Club.
But yeah Walmart/Sam's Club/Costco have things that are cheap just like that, hell even the frozen vegetables are cheaper in bigger varieties, and the fresh fruits oftentimes are cheaper as well.
It's a paradise for Veeky Forums individuals.

I usually get rotisserie chicken from Marsh for $6. They taste amazing.

Ive gotten one of those chickens once and came down with the worst case of food poisoning Ive ever had.
Ive also seen one that had flies on it at the store. I do not trust those for a second.

Ive had one from Walmart and Vons before. Dry and taste like top ramen.

I gladly spend the extra at Costco and go through one every two days if im feeling saucy. Lately though I just grill them every other day. Taste is spot on and I cook off any additional fat.

He can eat 10 of those everyday and still not be affected by the small amount of sodium.

Publix rotisserie chickens are $5.50 but they're amazing. Get those.

I wanna make chicken breast tonite but I hate how dry they are. Any brine recipes and also rub ideas?

>Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Sodium Bad Hahahaha Nigga Just Take A Drink Of Water Like Nigga Buy A Bottle Haha

I usually make curry out of the breast...too dry any other way

Yes, I would say that's around the average price, or maybe even less than, as opposed to the ~$8-9 I pay for 1/2 a chicken, a side and a water at the cafeterias I eat at when I'm working. $2.50 is ridiculously cheap

might not be healthy, but for the tastiest, juiciest chicken get dill pickle juice and marinate the chicken in it for at least 4 hours before cooking.

>Gets all his medical science info from the 19th century

I can do curry!
I like eating pickles but will they go bad if I use all the juice from the jar?

Just eat it with like a table spoon or two of sweet baby rays and even if it's dry it's enjoyable.

reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/5ecku6/eli5i_just_bought_a_whole_cooked_chicken_at/?st=ivu4059l&sh=cfe5273f

Wtf?

they might dry out. if you have an airtight container i'd put them in that with a little bit of water for moisture and they should stay good for at least a couple weeks.

Where's your sources? Whom do I trust, the medical and health field or some random squatter on 4chans fitness board?

I buy them discount all the time, its like leftovers, the chicken was roasted yesterday it will last 5 days in the fridge. It's not about to "expire" they just have to roast them fresh everyday because people don't want leftovers.

oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/ajh/iom_sodium_report_commentaries.html

Gee user, didn't cha head then pump those hens fulla' antibiotics and steroids?
Only eat natty chickens

>1200 Cal for the whole chicken
kek buddy, more like 2000, unless it's a very small chicken and you throw the skin away.

reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/5ecku6/eli5i_just_bought_a_whole_cooked_chicken_at/

On a related note, how do you guys cook your chicken?
At the moment all I do is cook is fry it in a pan after marinating it in whatever I feel like.
Is this the healthiest way or should I just slam them in an oven?

the only way it can become unhealthy is if it you start deep frying it or serving it with additional fats.

shit it's not even unhealthy really. Fat/carbs aren't unhealthy, it's just the amount you consume

>sweet baby rays
>high fructose corn shit

Or just make your own non-garbage sauce.

Haha I get this reference :D

If your breast comes out dry then you're just a bad cook. Sorry.

Bake it in the oven. Juicy, easy, and no mess. Also when it's done I put mozzi cheese on it 3 minutes before taking it out then slap an over easy egg on it. It's heaven

Enjoy all the added hormones and steroids they inject these poor chickens with.

Underrated

Don't overcook it brah, get a george foreman grill or something.

USE THE OVEN NIGGAH
I will never return to using a pan when making chicken.
Throw that shit in the oven for 25 minutes at 200 degrees C, shit is tender as fuck

.Throw that shit in the oven for 25 minutes at 200 degrees C
enjoy your salmonella

A whole chicken is $11 up here in Mapleland

When you're buying chicken that's been fed soy all it's life and pumped full of chemicals no shit it's cheap.

such is the price for being a fucking leaf

>bagillion grams of sodium
>tons of fat
>all the protein largely gone due to overcooking

You'd get more eating a thing of peanutbutter

i see u

> protein gone due to overcooking
kek. I bet you lose all your gains when your stomach acid destroys those protons too

have you seen most of those rotisserie chickens at walmart that get reduced?

They are practically skin on bone due to they are so dried out

just learn to cook
get a food thermometer and cook it until it reaches 165 degrees for 10 seconds

nice and juicy and easy

Does that mean you believe beef jerkey has no protein?

No, but compared to what you could be getting out of say 2.49 for a whole chicken breast you're offerings are worse.

Sodium doesn't cause heart attacks retard. It causes hypertension in people with shitty old non working kidneys. Hypertension can do a lot of bad things but again, of you're normotensive then there is nothing to worry about with dietary sodium intake.

Don't want to make a new thread, but these past 2 days I haven't felt well. I ate 800 calories yesterday because I couldn't eat without feeling nauseous. but I felt hungry too, so it was like double nausea. nausea from hunger and from whatever is going on. Today I ate a little more, but I still feel the same.

>Sodium doesn't cause heart attacks retard.
derp

If you eat too much salt, the extra water stored in your body raises your blood pressure. So, the more salt you eat, the higher your blood pressure. The higher your blood pressure, the greater the strain on your heart, arteries, kidneys and brain. This can lead to heart attacks, strokes, dementia and kidney disease.

Nah it doesn't if you have a functioning renal system. Sodium only exacerbates hypertension in people with blown kidneys. If your kidneys are working at full capacity you can't eat sodium to cause hypertension in yourself.

idk what the fuck temperature is talking about, but 325 F for 20-25 minutes is perfect. if its practically the same temperature, then listen to that guy, hes my nigga

americans have no idea how lucky they are.

the ONLY protein that is cheap where I live are eggs.

milk, meat (any type, even sardines), whey, cheese, yogurt... you name it, it's all four to five times more expensive than the prices you guys mention in threads. we also have a minimum salary multiple times smaller, so in the end, only rich people can afford to eat their protein right. hell, the yogurt with most protein in the whole country has 10g total. when my cheapo whey ends and I have to buy real food it's scary.

what a waste of pickle juice. marinate hard boiled eggs in that shit, and just learn how to cook chicken properly, as so

not him, but all that I know is that in Montenegro, proscuitto and salted pork in general is widely consumed and their incidence of heart problems is pretty damn high

If you're curious I suggest reading medscape articles on risk factors for cardiovascular disease. You'll find that there are many of them and eating salted pork can be a risk factor in a couple different indirect ways. It's surely not the only risk factor in these population however. Diabetes is the single largest risk factor, cigarette smoking is another super bad one. Other than that the Mediterranean diet composed of mostly olive oil and omega fatty acids from fish with fresh veggies is repeatedly shown to be a superior choice for cardiovascular outcomes.

Anyway as far as salt goes, older people lose kidney function this is universal. By 60 years many people have significant reductions in renal capabilities and also become hypertensive for a variety of reasons. In these people of course reducing sodium is a good first step to helping reduce blood pressure. But if you have normal blood pressure then the sodium is not harming you at all. So check your blood pressure. If you're hypertensive then cut sodium, lose weight if you're fat, and do cardio.

if you have a hydroxyl beside a hydrogen, it can eliminate to form a double bond. this can chemically change animo acids so they are no longer amino acids. so over cooking can reduce the amount of protein due to chemical dehydration (and not by loss of already present water).

What is the ratio of amino acid loss in typical prepared cooked food products? Half a percentage in well done versus overcooked?

I feel you Canabro.

nigger i have no idea, this is high school level organic chem. you need to find someone who studied food science (yes this is real and the jobs pay a fuck ton).

here's an example of how cooking can actually affect the quantity of macro nutrients:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

causes sugar and amino acids to combine and become unabsorbable

the two amino acids that have OH's on their side chain and can dehydrate off the top of my head is serine and threonine. im sure there are other reactions that occur close to 100deg C that affect nutrients. but cooking also causes proteins to unfold, making their digestion easier. its a compromise (think of trying to cut a bundle of yarn into pieces vs have a linear string of yarn being cut).

i used to buy those all the time

Fucking this
You cooked it too long

lmao underrated

>tfw food is so expensive in canada that all I can afford to eat is eggs, ramen, rice and potatoes

this country is totally ridiculous if you aren't rich

Nothing is cheap in maple land

How is a bird that never saw sunlight and was fed on literal poison growth hormones and toxins going to help you get natty gains? Why not pay more for nutritious, mineral available meat?

> expired
> comes from diseased, crippled chickens who are crowded in their own shit 24/7
> poor handling of the meat post-slaughter, probably has traces of feces and pus all over it

just a few reasons not to eat $2.49 chickens from walmart

> cost 2.49 to raise an animal for over a year, kill it,ship it a million miles away, cook it, and stock it.

IFLY

>Chicken
>Expensive

Pick one

I bought one and I could taste the fuckin antibiotics in it. Never again.

>Only 1200 calories in an entire chicken
what kind of fucking chickens do you have in america? Where i live you eat a chicken as meal for 4 people and you would all be absolutelly stuffed

eating chicken raised on 45 days. don't do it; it's bad for your health.

so that's the natty limit?

Last time I got a roast chicken from Walmart it had feathers.

Unpopular opinion: If you eat one chicken a day, youre DP'ing mother earth and the future of your kids - solely so you can support your ego, thats worth thinking about i think

Wtf?

yeah but we get to fuck the chicken before we cook it
thanks trudeau

Popular opinion*: If you go Vegan, you're surrendering your masculinity along with your gains -- and, in the long term, damaging your brain, too, from amino acid deficiency.

*Unless you're a vegan-cuck, in which case it's massively UNpopular -- but who cares what those faggots think? THEY ARE TRYING TO STEAL OUR GAINS!

>like just walk away

>If you eat too much salt, the extra water stored in your body raises your blood pressure

This is wrong. In healthy people, the salt/water balance is so tightly controlled that your BP WILL NOT raise after eating too much salt.

wish my dog cost that little

youll just piss more

oh fuck!

wtf I hate lemons now!