Is long distance running (5k, 10k, etc) the ultimate manly sport?

is long distance running (5k, 10k, etc) the ultimate manly sport?

you have to be really strong both mentally and physically to endure all that pain for such a long period of time

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hV63DbQ_qSc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-distance_running
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There's nothing manly about it and every endurance/long distance runner looks like a shriveled turd

Sprinting and lifting are the manly sports

wrong

>long distance
>5k, 10k

bruh

thats long enough by any standards

>5k, 10k
>long

>Sprinting and lifting are the manly sports
>but muh mussels! so manly!

Women are known to have higher pain thresholds than men. So your justification for what makes it manly is void. #nocardioformesenor

in long distance running the difference between men and women are smaller than in every other sports.
So I'd say it's the most girly sport

it's not painful when you're conditioned for it
it's quite pleasurable

That is interesting. Where did you learn that? Seems like it would be the opposite.

I like long distance running more. You pace yourself and build endurance by going meh speed. People also get impressed since they can only do at most 1-2miles even though you know you're shit

I'm not fast enough for short distance and if I try to run a mile as fast as I can I feel like throwing up

>5k, 10k
>long

pls...

>got up late sunday morning to go to work
>no breakfast, 30 minutes of sleep, not ready at all
>pull backwards out of driveway, feels rough
>won't turn right, get out and look
>FD tire is literally not even on the rim
>rim is sitting on the pavement
>throw keys in house while I get a jacket
>take off down the road
>run 20 minutes all the way to work, 30 minutes late
>an hour later can't squat at all, knees are in debilitating pain
>ran midfoot stride at 80 steps per minute, no big deal at all, I run every other day

I read somewhere that it's something to do with the fact they actually feel the pain more intensely so as a result they're inadvertently conditioned to withstand pain better. Not sure on the actual science behind it but I know from experience that women are far better at dealing with tattoos than men on average. Ask any tattoo artist and they'll tell you the same.

> going meh speed.

That's your problem.
If you are running in the comfort zone, you are doing it wrong.

It's like going to the gym and only lifting easy.

If you're able to lift/run something, you have to train to do more.

Running is not like lifting.

Any decent training schedule will have you running at an easy pace for most of your runs.

Non-dogshit martial arts (MMA, MT, boxing, wrestling etc) are clearly the manliest sports.

Don't know why anyone would think any differently.

Physical strength/= muscular endurance

>5k and 10k long distance

Fatty.

Because rugby exists

>Only actually makes an EFFORT for maybe 30 seconds at a time, AT MOST
>Considers 'sprinting' and 'lifting' to be 'manly sports'
Found the fat DYEL.

This is however a good opportunity to discuss 'sprinting' and why the majority of Veeky Forums doesn't understand it, or HIIT either for that matter.

Sprinting is an endurance-based activity, and like ALL endurance-based activities, if you don't build a solid aerobic base on which to build your ability to sprint, you'll be a really mediocre-at-best sprinter. The reason for that is the specific training that improves your ability to sprint is literally the most stressful on every part of your body, and as such carries the highest risk of injury, likely severe injury, or in the case of someone who isn't anywhere near conditioned enough for it, risk of sudden death from heart failure. In order to train your sprint successfully and productively you need to spend about 3 months building your aerobic base, first, then you can move on to Threshold and Anaerobic work, and finally the most difficult and physiologically stressful of all: Lactate Tolerance work. A real sprinter would leave the average denizen of Veeky Forums in the dust every single time, because they're more interested in mere 'aesthetics', and either can't (due to scheduling) or won't (due to lack of motivation) do the requisite work to realize their potential as a sprinter.

>5k -10k
>long distance

You're joking right?

I run a minimum of 7 miles Monday and Friday

A "Long" run doesn't start until like mile 8

If you are conditioned for it then there is no pain

>Has never ran more than 2k in his life
>Still acts like an expert

Fuck off

I guess he meant 5,000 to 10,000 miles

Exactly this

Look guys, coming from a current hs track and cross country star (don't worry, i'm 18), running isn't that difficult if you start and be consistent. I did football for 8 years of my life before my senior year but all the heavy weights and conditioning was getting boring. So I started running (after a short stint in band) and I absolutely HATED it.... at first.

I couldn't run half a mile the first time I hit the track, but I noticed the more I ran, the more I saw improvement, even if I didn't run farther than the day before, I began to notice my breathing getting better and my endurance increasing. And then, it started to feel good. Ask any runner, and they'll say it feels somewhat like a drug: you do it, and afterwards you feel great. I mean, the same thing with a hard day in the gym, but with running I just feel a LOT more energized.

I swear Track and Field, and Cross Country are what were missing from my athletic growth.

tl;dr: Run guys. It's good and it feels good.

high test gal for encouragement :^)

It's not painful if you enjoy it. Think about what you enjoy.

If you're still gonna think of it as pain, then accept pain but don't make it 'suffering'. Think of it as penance.

It sounds really stupid but when I ran for the first time in forever, I felt clean in a way that a shower couldn't achieve.

Cred: I've participated in 3 10k's, came 2nd in one, and 3rd in another, I've done 2 5k's, but they were more of an event than a competition.

Also my High School team has won both district and regional meets, with my discus and shotput scores being on top, and my 100m score being in the top 3 (2nd place).

My max number of miles as of now is 10 in a session, and I ran that last Saturday.

Happy running.

You take your car for something that take you 20m to run ?

You know how I know you're American ?

I agree but you have also to do some HIIT and running hill, have a better 1.5 mile, etc.

For example, when I run my 1.5 mile, it's not a relaxing experience at all. It's a lot of pain non-stop for around 9mn.

Ok but no.

I run 1.5 mile in less than 10mn and run around 20k each weeks. Sometimes going up to 40k per week.

What's your stat ?

>it's not a relaxing experience at all. It's a lot of pain non-stop for around 9mn.

then you shouldn't do it

I started going for daily 5km runs on week-days to counteract my life in front of a screen. so I lift 2-3 and run 5-6 times a week. and I have to say I enjoy running much more than lifting. its satisfactory on deep biological level like sex, eating a god meal or drinking a nice cold glass of water on a hot summer's day.

>you have to be really strong both mentally and physically to endure all that pain for such a long period of time

It stops being painful after like ten minutes of running. Infact it starts to feel good after a while. Used to love cross country

This.

It's not hard to begin conditioning either. Just run regularly and slowly build up your distances and it's fun. I used the Navy's running program and I was looking forward to my runs. Like a dog getting ready for a walk "oh boy I get to run today"

Enjoy your brain injuries

at 80 steps per minute you are literally just walking at a brisk pace

20k isn't even beginner tier

I'd say the cutoff for distance running is the point where it becomes impossible to complete anaerobically. So anything longer than about a mile is distance running.

>run a 5k today on a tread mill
>set the incline to 1%
>set the speed to 10.5 km/h
>fifth or so attempt to run without stopping in these settings
>time goal: 29 minutes
>first 15 minutes went smooth, so I had music in my mp3 player
>16-19 minutes my body was slowly giving up, the pain I was going through was immense
>20 minutes in, I put this on full volume (suggestion by an user yesterday)
>youtube.com/watch?v=hV63DbQ_qSc
>"a year from now, 5 years from now, what are you gonna wish you did today?"
>feel a shivering all over my body>23 minutes in, the pain returns, can barely breathe anymore, then this plays
>"what's the difference between you and them? the professionals are the ones who are willing to knock on the doors of complete exhaustion every single day"
>"now let me define exhaustion for you"
>literally too focused on listening to the definition at this point, I have no idea how I was still running

>"exhaustion is at that very point where it's just so damn painful that you just can't push anymore, that it hurts so bad that you can't even think straight"
>"it's in reaching that point where you will know that you did absolutely everything in your power, that there wasn't one more thing you could have done"
>24 minutes in, 5 minutes to go
>"so what's the difference between you and them (the professionals)? are you moving closer towards your goals or are you moving further away from them? are you knocking on those doors of exhaustion or are you just uncomfortable?
>25 minutes in, what the fuck my breaths are super small
>"you see being uncomfortable is not exhaustion, being uncomfortable is your mind quitting before your body"
>the last sentence hits me really hard
>even though I can not breathe, and I feel so much fucking pain, I can still run, so I am probably uncomfortable
>"being uncomfortable is just saying no to trying again"
>"achieving greatness happens when you are willing to do something that will kill you just to make you better"
>27 minutes in, mp3 stops
>I am all alone now
>decide to say fuck it, increase the speed to 12 km/h
>go full throttle
>finish in 28:30 minutes

I don't know how I didn't die Veeky Forums

I started running 5ks in July, my first 5k was 44 minutes. My "training plan" was to always make sure I hit my maximum every time I go out for a run. I have managed to go down to 29 minutes, but I am afraid this will fucking kill me in the end.

will I die eventually from heart failure guys? I have been doing this for 5 months now.

capped
cool story, bro. seriously, I enjoyed reading it.

No. That is long distance for a fatso. Anybody who is even slightly physically fit should be able to run a 5k with absolutly no problem. A 10k, that is starting to be long distance, but still far from a half marathon.

Run outside, tread mils are bad mmm'kay

long distance is the best, cycled 274km couple years back in one day

>not doing 5k with your eyes closed kicking people's dogs because they get in your way, turning the volume to 11 and never looking back

>then on your way back doing a second sweep

What is more manly is not worrying about what other people think is manly.

Run if you want to. Try to enjoy the process. It's great cardio. If you think cardio is not for you, don't do it.

I'd have to agree with this, I never train cardio or do any sort of sports other than fatass powerlifting, and a 5k wasn't all that hard. It's about the same effort/time I put in at the gym every day anyway

I used to walk 3.5 km to the bus for school, then that distance again when walking home everyday as a teen.
5K is fucking nothing.
Normal length is 5k to 15.
Long is 20+

There's nothing manly about running away

Cardio kills gains

Try running 75+ miles per week and breaking 16:00 in the 5k and tell me about how running is easy and lame

thanks bro

i just had blood tests done just wanna see what is my body missing etc
heart diagram turned out fine

doctor said have rest days and you are young so dont worry

>painful

you're doing it wrong. nothing can feel as intense or alive as when you are running and the sun caresses your face and you are sweating insanely while your runner's high kicks in.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-distance_running

>In the sport of athletics, long-distance events are defined as races covering three kilometres (1.86 miles) and above.

>Sprints (aka I'm super fast and you wish you were me)
>Middle distance (aka failed sprinter)
>Long distance (aka I wasn't smart enough to learn technique)
>Marathons (aka I believe that running this distance makes up for the fact that I'm super slow)
Half marathon,Marathon
>Ultramarathon (aka I'm 50 year old marathon runner and I'm having a midlife crisis)
Anything above a marathon

nope this is perfectly normal

>running will kill you

nope this is bonkers. cardiovascular shit is the worst killer in america, it will make you healthier.

>5k's
>manly

lmao

yeah pretty sure they "run" that distance in 50 minutes

half of the people in these threads run 5k in 50 minutes

Anyone have tips for someone who has excercise induced asthma?

been between skelly and tryhard-otter my whole life and started running a while back for the sole purpose of relaxing after long days of work. Reading this thread gives me such great pleasure. Usually I cant really relate cause I dont seem to be on par with Veeky Forumss muh muscles mind set, but you guys cant run for shit!

>5k in 30min
>5k in 50min
>5k in 44min

Would you consider yourself ripped? Athletic? Cause these stats are fucking fatso tier, honestly. I ran 12k in

Take your Ventolin before heading out

+1
only thing i disagree is the failed sprinter for 800 and 1500

I want to take up wrestling but im afraid of the oil drag

Women who've given birth have been demonstrated to withstand more pain. Women are still worse runners for other reasons

The more I approach the speed of the top women, the less qts I see during a race.

Why even live?

my man. you play?

kek

>Always wanted to be a "runner"
>decide to go for a run at night because embarrassed of being see
>did 2 miles on Saturday
>then 8 miles
>yesterday did 9 miles
>today it's raining heavily all day
What do ;_;

Dont be a faggot, i took me little 7 yr old neice to a color run 5k, she ran the whole way and had a great time. 5k is endurance like 135 ohp is impressive.

>decide to go for a run at night because embarrassed of being see
>did 2 miles on Saturday

Niggha when i started c25K I couldn't do the 30sec run without stopping sitting down and heaving a breather half way.
But I stood by it. And ran every day. Sunny, rainy, showing didn't matter. Every run I did in shitty conditions made the next one easier and i was thankful for good weather. I blew 10km today. It was -4C when I went out to run. But I ran for 10km without stopping and I think thats worth something.

Also don't give a fuck about the people around you when you run. they don't give a fuck about you.

Congratz! but where I live there is no sidewalk so I run on the road and I don't want to be seen during the day plus I work during the day.
What are your goals? I'd like to run a marathon in 8 weeks

B A I T
A
I
T

how much are you running rn per week

I run 10k in 42 minutes.
It took me 3 months of some half assed intervall training 2-3x a week.

The effort I put in was mininal, and I just feel much better. At least mentally.
Highly reccommended :)

I started this Saturday so I haven't been running for a week yet

T-Thanks user.
Currently I'm happy with the 10k since it seemed like an unachievable goal for so long. Turns out, not that hard.
My next goal would be to out run a 60yo naked madman. I call him Naked Picard. I see him on the track every god damn day. He is as old as dinosaur bones but he seems to have gotten stuck in RUN mode somewhere in his life and just zips all over the damn place. And his tempo is admirable. I can do 5k in about 25min at my best. And he passed me twice during that one. And I'm pretty sure he dose at least 10km a day, every day since I never see him get on or off the track. I tried keeping up with him but nah son, gonnan need a lot more work for that.
I figured I could do a semi marathon by next year maybe. And in two more years give a marathon a shot.

I admire older runners as well and they look so damn good too. Good luck! I want distance over speed right now.

if you haven't ran ever and you are dead set on running a marathon you will probably have to walk half of it

you probably will have to walk half of it, if you are dead set on participating in one. two months isn't enough time to properly prepare from scratch

Yeah but I was capable of running 9 miles doesn't that count for something

You didn't mention your speed or anything.

That said, if you went from couch to 9mi in like 3 days, you're very likely to get injured.

how fast did you run those 9 miles? honestly then you could probably run it, but I wouldn't expect to have a good finishing time. I know some dude who did a marathon while only running 25 miles a week, but I don't think he did very well

Nothing fast unfortunately 12:27 but that's to be expected

If that's your cutoff, you're talking time rather than distance. A 400m can be run aerobically or anaerobically depending on how fast or slow you run it. Most people can run primarily anaerobically for about a minute (hence why there are people on his board who could beat Usain Bolt in a mile).

I personally would recommend that you run a half-marathon first.
Most training plans include a three week taper, which means that you would be put at a disadvantage there, since you need the full two months to even just build up aerobic capacity and can't afford to taper for your muscles. So you are going to be going into a 26 mile run with sore muscles, which is never pleasant, and may also lead to injury. The alternative is to sacrifice aerobic endurance, which will absolutely hose you.
If you REALLY want to run this, don't run the whole thing. Do like a walk-run-walk-run thing. Most cut-off times are fairly generous so I wouldn't worry about being dq'd, and I assume you don't really care about your time and just about finishing.
As for training, I would try to get up to 25 miles a week a week before the marathon, and then have an easy week of rest.

I ran D1 and have done both of those things (most miles in a week ever was 88, 5k PR is 15:40). Getting my 5k down to that took long because I'm not talented. I quit running after college and got my squat to lmao2plate within the first year. It's honestly easier than running IMO.

I don't want to run an actual race I just want to run a marathon for myself but thanks for the advice. I'll try to run longer distances only 2 a week and shorter ones 3 times

That is actually what most running plans will suggest. You might want to start adding some speedwork at some point in the future as well (instead of one of the short runs)

Godspeed user

Thanks
Has running made your legs nice and lean?

They are pretty built. But I don't do anything else, so I'm basically skinny-fat with nice legs.

Wouldn't recommend...

5-10km long distance?
Long distance doesn't start til around 20km, and any healthy human should be able to run 20km without stopping.

long distance (5k 10k isn't long distance lmao) actually reduces test

Yep. Think about it. Marines invented Iron Man. Iron Man is the ultimate endurance test (mental and physical). The only thing that competes with it is Strongman - a different kind of endurance sport.

Sprinting is for football faggots and blacks. So if you're a faggot or a black, then perhaps you should take up sprinting or Mr. Olympia.

The 5k PR is really awesome, hands down. Never done 5k distance but I manage little less than 11:00 on 3k and among us driven casual runners that is considered fast as fuck. Really puts your time in perspective.
Why exactly did u quit?

After enough training it isnt even particularly painful. Perhaps its cause im a casual runner who just runs so he doesnt lose his ottermode, but it stopped being "all that pain" once I stopped being fat.
But I'll definitely never forget the pain of my fatty man boobs pulling at my chest and feeling like I worked chest the day after I run. Or my heart being in my throat and the burning from even mild exertions. Man I dont miss being fat.

OD wilson isn't white.

Yeah because white people dominate long distance
White sprint medalists at Rio: 4
White long distance medalists at Rio:1

So your telling me you a sprinter will not get pussy, ruin his body, and have a higher risk of death at a younger age.
Lol