IT Band Syndrome

Hello Veeky Forums

Has anyone here suffered from Iliotibial Band Syndrome?
>IT band syndrome is a common injury to the knee, generally associated with running, cycling, hiking or weight-lifting (especially squats).

I lost 50 pounds a year ago and did c25k, everything went right till I stopped jogging due to new workload (I fucked up, I know). About 4 months after I stopped I tried to go for a jog again. I jogged about 6 km in 35 minutes and went home. Latter that day I had the worst knee pain I've experienced in my life, which lasted for about 3 days. I googled it and found out it was ITBS. At first I thought I had it because I ran a relatively long distance after not doing it for a while. So I decided to go slow the next time. The following week I jogged for about 15 minutes only, but the pain was still there (although it wasn't that bad this time), then I tried 10 minutes but got the same result with less pain.

What am I doing wrong? the only thing that is different from when I originally started jogging are my running shoes. Should I try with my old ones? What is the best way to deal with ITBS? How did you fix it?

Thanks for your time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ydcy3dPf__M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS) is one of the most common overuse injuries among runners. It occurs when the iliotibial band, the ligament that runs down the outside of the thigh from the hip to the shin, is tight or inflamed. The IT band attaches to the knee and helps stabilize and move the joint. When the IT band isn’t working properly, movement of the knee (and, therefore, running) becomes painful. IT band pain can be severe enough to completely sideline a runner for weeks, or even longer.

>ITB syndrome can result from any activity that causes the leg to turn inward repeatedly. This can include wearing worn-out shoes, running downhill or on banked surfaces, running too many track workouts in the same direction, or simply running too many miles. Unlike many overuse injuries, however, IT band pain afflicts seasoned runners almost as much as beginners. When the iliotibial band comes near the knee, it becomes narrow, and rubbing can occur between the band and the bone. This causes inflammation. Iliotibial Band Syndrome is more common in women, possibly because some women’s hips tilt in a way that causes their knees to turn in.

>Here are some steps you can take to prevent iliotibial band syndrome:
>Most importantly, always decrease your mileage or take a few days off if you feel pain on the outside of your knee.
>Walk a quarter- to half-mile before you start your runs.
>Make sure your shoes aren’t worn along the outside of the sole. If they are, replace them.
>Run in the middle of the road where it’s flat. (To do this safely, you’ll need to find roads with little or no traffic and excellent visibility.)
>Don’t run on concrete surfaces.
>When running on a track, change directions repeatedly.
>Schedule an evaluation by a podiatrist to see if you need orthotics

bump

Please

Sounds like me. Except I had runners knee. Luckily squatting has all but gotten rid of it. Sorry man

If you want any relief you'll need to purchase a lacross ball and a foam roller.

I have it real, real bad man.

>asking medical advice in the internet sewer

How bad is it? I'm going to use my foam roller before jogging tomorrow and wear my old shoes and will report back if there's enough interest.

>asking medical advice on a website where many users can relate with my situation

Had a mild version of this where the side of my knee was clicking, but it unironcally went away when I started squatting and doing leg presses. Apparently it has something to do with weak hips and glutes. I saw a few videos on rehabing using the same shit a PT would.

youtu.be/ydcy3dPf__M

Thanks famo
I never really lifted before but I will do it to gain strength on my legs and hips.

I'd suggest focusing more on strengthening your hips and glutes above all else, and following the video. Good luck!

Guys the inside of my left ankle has been hurting after every run for the past 2 months and the pain usually stays a few days. I just want to run :'(

Yo, i had this problem when I switched shoes as well. Turns out the padding of my old shoes was arched alot more pronounced than my new ones.it changed the way my foot struck the ground and it even felt like my leg muscles werent used to the new shoes, kept hurting various parts of my leg.
What I did was pay extra close attention to my form and footstrike and took it extra slow making sure I was running correctly in my new shoes. Also walk around a whole lot in them. Take it slow

Mine was related to my squat stance.

There are 2 variables, stance width and toe-facing

Mine was caused by a little bit too wide of stance and slight outward position of toes. Due to high pressure my knees caved in and thus irritated the area (little movement, huge pain)
I fixed it by narrowing my stance and pointing feet more outward.

Make sure you dont cave in.

OP here, just got back home from the track.

Did the hip workout suggested. And foam rolled the outer face of my legs.

I also tried running with my toes slightly outward because I noticed they were pointing inward a bit. It looked a bit goofy but idc.

Did that 5-3-5-3-5 thing in c25k and I'm not feeling pain so far, no stinging, no tickling, etc.

Thanks guys, pls subscribe

I suffered and recovered. It took 5 months of no running.

it's an overuse tendonitis injury.

Stop running for 3 weeks. Since you've been running already I assume you already have flexibility you just overworked it

Sup, OP. I had this a long time ago. Firstly, go slow and don't do too much distance. Secondly, stretch like a motherfucker. You can't actually stretch the ITB, but you can stretch the muscles around it.

Focus on your quads, glutes, calves, feet, hip flexors, and groin. Along with that, you should also foam roll the shit out of your glutes and quads.

Take some time off running and just focus on the stretches and rolling. When you get back, take it slow. That's all you can do, nigger.

I stopped for about a month until today.
You can't just go around calling others niggers, user. But yeah I'll focus on stretching and hip strengthening.

I had this a few years ago and it sucked! I switched to chi running and never looked back.

It sucks. I used to run track in high school, but had a horrible coach that told me to keep running hurdles despite the pain. Developed IT Band halfway through my second season and had to quit. Had a dumb limp for a few months and had to show up two hours before school every morning to go to the trainers.

Ur fucked OP, my leg still bothers me 8 years later.