Why do you do strength routines when you want hypertrophy?

Title says it all I guess. Why do you continue doing peaking programs when you want hypertrophy? Don't quote me Rippetoe or Sheiko or whoever is in-vogue nowadays. I want to hear how YOU, user, justify your training choices to reach YOUR goals.

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/training/the-education-of-a-powerlifter-part-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't.

I do ppl

That's good.

Because benching 40 kg for sets of 12 was embarrassing and getting me nowhere.

You could have built a periodisation around it - 12/10/8 or 12/8/6, etc. If you were doing 8x12 with 40 you were doing WAY more than the guy doing 5x5.

I was doing 3x12. I didn't really know anything when I started. Now I go by the philosophy that it is easier to build muscle when you are strong than when you are weak. Better to be strong.

You always get strong. If you increase any of your maxes, your increase your maximum strength output. I can make an argument that the guy doing 8x12 with 50 kg has higher strength potential than the one who is doing 5x5 with 60 kg, not just because he has more room to aggressively push the weight up. He will also have more muscle to recruit, should he decide to peak himself using something like SS.

Yeah I'm with this guy. What's the worst case scenario anyway, I get too strong?

Nope, it's just that if you want hypertrophy, there are better ways to train than doing peaking routines.

Oh, if you're talking about peaking routines then I agree 100%.
I can only speak for myself but doing a heavier upper and lower and then a volume upper lower day (sometimes splitting the second upper day to add more hypertrophy work) seems like the best routine for anyone who isn't a rank beginner or and advanced lifter yet.

Nobody outside of plg does peaking programs tho. Also hypertrophy programs are not ideal for beginners. Literally every single person with an education or experience lifting weights will tell you to get strong first. It's not the only way but it is in the long run the fastest way with the most benefits.

I take their advice because I don't want to be that guy at the gym for 5 years with nothing to show for it.

That's actually a very fun way to train. WSFSB is a great way to get into training and actually build a solid base of hypertrophy, coordination and general strength.

SS is essentially a peaking program. A very basic one but a peaking program non the less. I can make an argument that beginners shouldn't be doing this and instead should be doing what Dave Tate said but that would derail the thread even more.

Why not just do 5/3/1 for beginners or whatever Jimbo calls it these days?

>tfw she's not my gf

Let me put it this way, why are you doing programs that realise your strength, instead of building it, if you want hypertrophy? Why do you forego important assistance work such as dumbell flies (dumbell work in general), arms and direct ab work if you want a good body?

Because Veeky Forums is autistic and also wants to brag about how much they benched at the gym

I never understood this. If you want a bigger chest, your bragging should come from the way your chest bulges from your T-shirt and the way people eye you on the beach when you take your shirt off. Your gym total doesn't matter all that much - weight on the bar and the choice of exercises are just tools to achieve your goals.

Because for now I don't have a specific body goal. Any moderately challenging workout works for me, since the main reason I lift is the high that comes after lifting heavy. I'm doing Rippetoe's programs because they are very well documented and I have invested a shitload of time to study them. And I'm getting both strength and hypertrophy gains, people who knew me before always comment how much bigger I've become and that's enough for me.

That's what I think too. But as aforementioned, Veeky Forums is autistic.

If heavy lifting is what you desire, go for Westside and go nuts.

I wouldn't say "autistic" but inexperienced. People starting out don't need programs to follow militantly. They need sound principles that they could apply themselves.

>should be doing what Dave Tate said
what does dave say?

t-nation.com/training/the-education-of-a-powerlifter-part-1

I am going to the gym. Toodles for now.

Lifting your max should be a thing you do once a month max. That is if you're a bodybuilder, powerlifter always does the max his body is capable but imo naturally human body cant take that forever without eventual injury. So.. i do my best whilst avoiding major injuries.

>powerlifter always does the max his body is capable
you don't know anything about powerlifting training, if i ever catch you giving advice on here again i'm gonna fuck you up dude

Whats westside? Never heard of this. I only know texas and madcow

:) What if i told you that only place i let my body to be seen is the gym and even there i wear full body covering loose clothes.

I have a nice body and proud of it but i have no interest in showing to anyone. I go to the gym to make my work days easier.

You want both, so powerbuilding is the way to go. Big 3 + high rep accesories

That way you wont get puffy muscles like all the bro shitskins in my gym.

My goal is a 4pl8 bench, 300kg deadlift, volume work with 5pl8 squats, repping out BW on The PressĀ® and being able to strict row the same amount that I bench, on the same day.

Hypertrophy just comes with the territory - it's a lot easier to OHP 210lbs when my triceps rest on my lats, while the bar is at mouth level.

I do a "strength" routine because I've tried lots of different routines and I've found that you can't beat a good routine based on predictable progress on the main compounds. I've tried brosplits in the past, but inevitably you get stuck on those programs unless you're roiding. with a good strength routine you can bring your deadlift up to 250kg while eating a surplus, and if you think that doesn't lead to "hypertrophy" then you're an absolute moron. also, all the brosplitters I see in the gym are just spinning their wheels, like I used to do

>Don't quote experts on subject, layman, i want to hear your exact reasoning!

Because I want strength

>powerlifter always does the max his body is capable
Find me a program where a powerlifter always does the max his body is capable of

pls leave

You need to train for both.

Strength is a skill and hypertrophy is important for strength.
I train with high intensity for compound to get practice with high weight and lots of volume for compound accessories to stimulate hypertrophy.

Thats why all good programs include periodisation.

Dude, please don't.

Essentially an upper-lower split. You have 2 days of heavy lifting and 2 days of rep work. Google it and you can find out more info, it's a very cool way to train. A variation is Joe DeFranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards that puts slabs of muscle on athletes.

YOUR training should fit YOUR goals. I can take you by the collar and drag you to Ufa to train with Boris Ivanovich but if a higher total isn't something you desire then this would be pointless and inane.

Yup

Keep em' coming boys.

Because strength and hypertrophy aren't mutually exclusive. I do Candito's 6 Week right now and it has weeks over rep ranges in the 8-12 range.

You'd know this if you actually lifted.

You can also run periodisation for hypertrophy. Stuff like 12/10/8 or 10/8/6 isn't uncommon. We aren't talking about hypertrophy in regards to powerlifting, we are talking about training specifically for hypertrophy and using the powerlifts as a tool to get there (or any other exercise, doesn't really matter).

Because I'm training for a fight and have to stick to a weight category so I want to get as strong as I can with as little extra weight as possible.

Knowing my goals makes me qualified to write my own program even if i know fuck all about lifting? This kind of reasoning is why most normies make zero progress in the gym until they start injecting.

I am not against educating yourself. I am against canned programs and cookie-cutter approaches. If we are going to test the validity of different methods, I have seen far more people achieve good results with 6-a-day bro split than with SS and SL. There is no right or wrong way to train. Go and lift and you will eventually figure things out.

Better yet, go and read some books or even better - ask the big guys in your gym and train with them.