Ogus 753

Anyone here doing/has done Ogus 753? Would love a review on this routine, which seems to be a hybrid of Smolov and Wender 5/3/1. I'm considering starting it in January

Other urls found in this thread:

plantnplantnplantn.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/ogus-753.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump
am interested in this as well

sweet, what has you interested in it?

It's a cookie cutter bodybuilding routine which is stupid because it tells you what accessories to do to the main lifts, which should be up to you and not your program. The main lift progression is fine though. Change the assistance work to what you would do on a regular U/L split.

whats your take on the volume? would you make any adjustments on the number of accessory lifts

Volume is also very individual. There are people who do barbell compounds 5x10 and there are people who will do 2 DB compounds and a DB isolation for a total of 12 sets. There are also people who do double that and still get great results. Do what feels right to you.

>volume is subjective to the point where the number of accessory movements in a tried and tested bodybuilding is negligible
ignore is guy OP

ive been doing a PPL bro split even though im relatively new to lifting, so im used to pretty high volume.
should i use higher volume for this Ogus routine?

I mean yeah, that's kinda what it says in the book whenever you actually read what the person who made the routine has to say.

Read the sticky and look at PHAT, look at Lyle McDonald's generic bulking routine, etc. These are way more extensively "tried and tested" bodybuilding routines than ogus 753 written by people more well known and credible.

Drop volume to 75% ish of what it was before or switch to accessories that are easier to recover from. Because the progression centers around the big 4 lifts you want to use lighter accessories that target weakpoints instead of big accessory movements like incline bench which are typically harder to recover from than a dumbbell variant for example.

>10 posts
>3 posters

>Samefagging this hard for another made-up routine that is massiveIy Iess effective than the major routines that have been around for 40 years

Fuck off, faggot OP.

>Because the progression centers around the big 4 lifts you want to use lighter accessories that target weakpoints instead of big accessory movements
Got it, thanks a ton.
Can you give some more examples of "big accessory movements" though, other than incline BB bench.
Do lat pulldowns count as big or small accessory movements?

There's a conversation between two people (including me, OP) and one other guy who bumped this thread.
Brush up on what samefagging means.

>massiveIy Iess effective than the major routines that have been around for 40 years
Its no better and no worse than most major bodybuilding routines

A very difficult to recover from back movement would be something like rack pulls or explosive high pulls or even deads. You should figure out what works for you. I find it a lot harder to recover from chins than I do from pulldown variants, for example, and I find rows fairly easy.

Alright, thanks a ton for your help bro. I just need to figure out how the programming percentages work now.....
Ogus is weird in that it programs your progression based off of 90% of your 1 RM or something

Read the 5/3/1 ebook and look at the section that talks about 'training max'. Just google it and the pdf should come up. It's fairly simple, you just multiply your actual real life 1 rep max by 0.9 and use that for all your percentages in the program.

Yeah, my friend sent me a pdf a few weeks back. I havent actually read it yet, but when i get back from uni ill read the ebook over christmas.
Thanks once again, i tip my fedora to you

You severely overrate the amount of reading you have to do. Lifting routine books are more of a "on the train ride home from uni" kind of thing than an "over christmas" kind of thing.

ill read it on the 90 minute flight back from from uni then, lol

im actually severely autistic so it takes me 2 hours to read one page

link?

link to what

plantnplantnplantn.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/ogus-753.html

do you have to do sumo deadlift? why'd he choose this DL variant

It's his preferred deadlift variant.

probably because he also chose HB squat

>Matt Ogus always points out:
>Do the exercises you like. For instance if you hate Laying Hamstring Curls then do Seated Hamstring Curls. If you have Tricep Rope Pulldowns then do Tricep Pushdowns with a straight bar. This workout should be enjoyable to the individual.

Do sumo deadlifts hit the posterior chain better or soemthing? cuz HB squats dont hit the posterior chain.
or did i get it all switched up

There's no connection.

Between Sumo DLs and hitting the posterior chain? absolutely there is.
HB squats dont hit the posterior chain. So Sumo DLs compensate for that

there's greater quad involvement in sumo, so you get better carry over from HB squats.
It also lets you lift more (generally speaking)

>High bar squats dont hit the posterior chain

?????
????
???
??
?
??
???
????
?????
??????

what the fuck????
?????????????????

Whether youre stronger pulling sumo or conventional is completely individual. Sumo is harder off the floor, conventional harder to lock out. Neither is an 'easier' lift

it's called broscience m8

>the more upright deadlift variation hits the entire posterior chain more
>highbar squats don't hit the posterior chain because tiny difference in angle

Are u ok? The biggest difference between sumo and regular DL is quad activation. There's no reason to do sumo over regular just because you do highbar squats over regular squats.

>overhead presses don't hit the delts

>generally speaking
most people have shit glutes from years of sitting, so they'll probably have trouble locking out.
like I said, carryover from HB. it probably is more to do with though.

Which one activates quads?

I mean I guess you'd use sumo deadlift to improve your highbar squat over regular deadlift but that's not the purpose of this program, and since powerlifters don't use the highbar squat and olympic lifters don't treat the squat as a primary lift it's not the purpose of any existing program. As I said, Ogus prefers sumo and deadlifts heavier sumo. That's all.
Highbar and sumo both put more emphasis on the quads, but a lot of people debate the usefulness of the highbar squat since the lower weight used means you get about the same bang for your buck when it comes to quad development.

I was saying HB -> Sumo carryover, not sumo -> HB. sumo + hb is probably a fine approximation of doing lowbar squats and will carry over when you move to pre-comp peaking - your quads and post chain get a lot of work, but your lower back gets less fatigued allowing for more sets, faster recovery, etc

>more weight in more advantageous position
>less weight in less advantageous position
this is when you start thinking about TUT and ROM. HB wins out. however, if youre constantly squatting your quads will probably be fine either way.

>Squat
I thought we were talking about DL

>most people have shit glutes from years of sitting

what kind of retarded logic is this

Putting the bar higher on your back does not force you to half squat

think hip and knee angles.

the kind that's true and well known. glutes spend all day unused but in a stretched position, while the hip flexors shorten. overactive hip flexors -> inhibited glutes. this leads to anterior pelvic tilt and shit glute activaton (pic related).
watch most people do glute exercises and they'll always compensate with their hams and low back.