QTDDTOT

Thread for total noobs.

Ask me anything. I am here to help. 12 years lifting experience.

>QTDDTOT

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZeqEWLvtZJw
youtube.com/watch?v=54krdTEyziQ
bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/
youtu.be/N_5pw7fJK90
youtu.be/fjSVtNrUVp8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Where can I purchase gear in Australia?

Should I stay on SS if I'm seeing minimal size gains and my goal is to increase mass?

Will you still be here tomorrow?

How do I start

How long have you been on it? What are your lifts?
SS will make it easier to gain a lot of mass later on by strengthening your bones, allowing you to lift heavier weights for hypertrophy, etc.

read the sticky. figure out your goals. pick a diet and workout routine that fits your goals.

amazon.com

I have never been there so I dont know if you all have a Dicks Sporting Goods or what. Google search sporting good stores in AU

Probably.

Decide if you want to spend money on a gym membership or if you would rather buy some stuff and work out at home. I dont mind paying 30$ a month for a membership.

I'm reading this right now complete noob to exercising, I'm a little skinnyfat and want to gain weight and muscle

is bodyweight on its own worse than normal routines or should it incorporated into something with actual weights?

Going to the gym tmw to lift for the first time

Plan on doing the "stripped" 5x5 I found on a beginner fitness blog

What I'm most worried about: how do I know if my form is good or not? Should I look in the mirror while I lift?

Also wondering about common noob mistakes, like egregious ones that would make other ppl at the gym hate me.

Bodyweight on it's own can help you immensely.
Also, a person who is advanced when it comes to bodyweight can easily outlift midlevel lifters.

at-least do a search in the queue before posting your thread.

What are the best routine to make sure I get my upper abdominal a and obliques? I have tried many but only feel soreness in my lower.

Cur butt wink when squatting?

Are bunless Chik-fil-a clubs acceptable food?

I've been mad for the cheese and bacon. If I eat two without buns is that better than one with fries?

Stick to the machines then, its hard to have poor form on a machine.

Look up in youtube, the exercises you plan on doing; to see good form.

Good Form is usually a steady motion just with the part of your body you are working out. For example its poor form to thrust your crotch when curling. Stand still and only move your arms. For me, I sit on an incline bench to do curls, it forces me to have better form.

This thread is specially for Noob questions.

Try crunches instead of sit ups. Also lay your legs over to the side for obliques, but you arent going to have killer abs and obliques until you get close to and under 10% BF

wat

Try to limit that kind of stuff. Grilled chicken breast with no bread is a better options. The bad thing about bread and buns is that its enriched flour. Its not whole wheat.

I'm doing pretty good Veeky Forums, I've kept most of the weight off (80lbs) I'm coming out of being injured and sick, feeling some energy and will.

Only problem is the weight I did gain is right at my waist (hank hill figure currently) and I can't button my fucking pants. I downsized all my pants when I lost weight and it's really shitty to not be able to wear anything. Some days are better than others but I'm clearly a 39-40 trying to get into 38s.

Is there something quickish but healthy I can do to trim my beltline? I just want quick step so I can get into my current clothes and then get back to actually eating Veeky Forums and doing more.

Ideas?

tl;dr: what do you actually do when you can't button your pants?

Why is my deadlift so shit? I've been lifting for four months now and my squat has now surpassed my deadlift. I'm a lanky dude, could that be a problem with deadlifts? been stuck at 80kg for three weeks now.

I'm not the OP, but where's your point of failure on the deadlift? When you can pinpoint that, it'll become trivial to figure out how to solve it.

Should I do bench at the beginning of my workout instead of at the end? I cant hit the same weight as I would normally be able to if I do it at the end. Or should I be taking longer rests inbetween sets.

do you even know what QTDDTOT means

>Try to limit that kind of stuff. Grilled chicken breast with no bread is a better options. The bad thing about bread and buns is that its enriched flour. Its not whole wheat.

yeah, I know, I only get the grilled chicken no bun. I don't eat the bun either way, don't get the breaded chicken.

I'm just curious if getting bacon and cheese added is really that bad. If I don't get the bacon and cheese I'm much more likely to eat fries.

I hardly ever eat out and chic-fil-a is like one of two places I actually can go.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZeqEWLvtZJw

this "12 year vet" is garbage he's got shit advice everybody.

23 here. If I start lifting now, can I become Greco-Roman natty before I hit 26?

sure why not

SS is for strength not mass. You need to get on a hypertrophy routine for mass, there's a list you can pick from in the sticky.

I've plateaued and can't seem to make any progress at all despite overeating.

Any advice?

he'll just end up having to strength train later anyway. you don't know much about this do you?

try Keto!

Being lnaky is not helping. Where do you feel your failure point is? grip? knees? Legs? Can you get the weight up at all?

I always do Bench first because its compound. I rest around 2min in between sets. depending on what you want to do some studies say 3 min, some say 45 seconds.

Questions that dont deserve their own threads.

When you do eat that make sure it fits into your daily allowance of Fat. All things in moderation friend.

Because I sit in an office chair for 18 hours a day.

Next time don't make a QTDDTOT thread without searching the catalogue. Having two up just splits the advice in half and clogs the catalogue.

How long have you been lifting? What's your routine and what are you current weights? Height/Weight as well as TDEE? How's your sleep?

3 years is a lot of time to make some be changes. Go for it. Even if you fail you will still benefit from being fit

If you want Strength I always recommend ladder up to max routines, that helped me a LOT when i was younger. For Mass, gotta make some tares and hit 3 types of failure.

Be more specific please. what if your goal. Mass or Strength? What do you want to accomplish.

IDK who he is, I am the OP not him.

I feel like my grip is fine, I can get the weight up but only two or three times before my legs start shaking when I try again, like spasms in my upper legs. I try to keep my core tight, pull myself towards the bar and then lift with mostly my legs. Am I doing something wrong? Could foot placement be an issue?

Cry more.

how do i get rid of gyno?

>Be more specific please. what if your goal. Mass or Strength? What do you want to accomplish.

Mass, but I doubt I'm gaining much mass if I'm not making any progression in weight..

Surgery is the only way known at this time. Sorry. Ask your doctor if you REALLY think you have it, most people are just chubby

i recommend looking at your form and making sure its 100% if it is then maybe your squat form is not up to snuff and thus why youre squatting more than dead lifting. Maybe you cant squat as much if you do it 100% correct form.

Whats your diet look like. Just raw calories is not as good as a well balanced macro.

>Whats your diet look like. Just raw calories is not as good as a well balanced macro.

Raw calories + Whey at ~ 1 g/lb protein.

>but I doubt I'm gaining much mass
you haven't been measuring?

Have you been counting calories?

How does the "grams/lb" metric work for protein? Should I be cramming 250g of protein down my gullet on lift days?

ok so we will address this as an exercise issue and not just a diet issue. If you want to get more mass, say for example in your biceps, you need to do curls with a full range of motion until failure. Then youre going to, with more weight, just lock your arms at half range of motion and just hold it for as long as you can until you fail on that. Then you would want to jump on a cable machine and do negatives until failure.

Let me show you this video that explains it better. He addresses the 3 types of failure.

youtube.com/watch?v=54krdTEyziQ

for along time I only did 90grams a day and I though 160grams would be a meme. I started doing 160grams and I actually got better results. So there is some truth to it. (I weighed 90kg/160lbs at that time)

I count calories.

Measure my muscle mass? How?

You do that for every set? Or just once per exercise?

0.8g/lb of body mass is enough for anyone, even bodybuilders. Olympic lifters and bodybuilders do 1g per pound of weight, though there are no studies that show this improves lifts or muscle growth.

I guess it wont hurt to have someone look at my squat/deadlift. Thanks m8

>Measure my muscle mass? How?
You weigh yourself every week. If you're diet is right you should be gaining about a pound per week.

How many calories are you eating per day? How much protein are you intaking? What's your height and weight?

How can I tell if I'm undertraining or overtraining?

Post your work out and your personal stats. I never work out more than 1.5 hours.

I'm doing PPLPPLx and it's coming to about 30 minutes a day.

please post the actual work out

Been lifting for 5 months here, burned almost 40 pounds going from 240 to 204 at 6'2.

Problem is I have an estrogenic fat pattern, lots of stubborn fat around the thighs, ass and belly.

I know you can't focus burn fat off of any area but would it help to focus some exercises in this area? I already do a fuck ton of leg raises and I used to squat a lot at the start to chisel away my ass but degeneration in thoracic spinal disks demanded a break from the squatting.

What are some good exercises to focus on this area around my waist?

Also I regularly eat broccoli but thinking I should add more and have started to add kale to my protein shakes. Is this anti estrogen food shit a meme?

Push:
4x8 bench
4x8 flys
4x8 skullcrushers

Pull:
4x8 Chinup
4x8 Bent over row
4x8 Curl

"Leg":
4x8 Squats
4x8 Lateral raises

What's the best way to get to be able to go from being unable to do a single unassisted pull up to doing many?

When it comes to that kind of thing consider taking Zinc, Garlic, Grapeseed oil, Vit D

these wont make you produce MORE test than you naturally can but that help you make the amount you are naturally supposed to. Also be sure you look at raw zinc amounts. Zinc Gluconate or whatever is only like 13% elemental zinc..

Its not going to hurt to add Kale.

Use a chair or stool to do them. Use the assisted pull up machine. Do accessories for the muscles involved in a pull up. Progressive overload.

I kept upping my calories after not making progress. I got up to 3000 Calories/day. I'm 5'10" and ~160 lbs.

1 g protein/1 lb bodyweight

I was gaining more than a pound/week when I was finally gave up and started cutting.

And weighing myself doesn't work very well. There's too much noise. I randomly gain or lose like 1-2 lbs every day. I assume it's food and water weight.

youre under training IMO.

try this

Bench
incline bench
shoulder raises
Tri cep cable pull downs
--
Seated Curls
Hammer Curls
Chin up
Rows
Lat Pull Downs
--
Squats
Leg Extensions
Hamstring Curls
Calf Raises
Deadlifts
Romanian Dead Lifts

Hit a muscle more than one way. Also consider your rows. Some do more back and others do more rear deltoid.

Lat Pull Down cable. Master it, Ladder up 3 x 10. Each set go up 10lbs or so.

Yeah just get on the scales once a week. Every day is crazy random numbers.

5'10 160 is a hard zone to be in.

Yeah, but if I can lose 2 lbs in one day, why should I trust it if it says I lost 2 lbs in a week?

because you care about FAT not water and food weight.

think of it like a trend graph, its going to be jumpy but overall going down while being jumpy.

I've been doing starting strength and when I started, I weighed 260 lbs. it's been about 5 months and I now weigh 263 lbs despite looking tinier and my clothes fitting and feeling much lighter.

I can currently squat 250 lbs, and deadlift 260 lbs right now. Am I expected to have this pot belly of mine for awhile now? Because I noticed that not really anyone changes how they look while they do this routine, unless they were skinny to begin with.

If I have to switch a routine out of SS, do I really have to pick and choose between losing weight or gaining muscle? Because I kind of like being this strong

I read that farmer's carries are good for increasing grip strength but my shoulder's literally can't support the weight long before my forearms/hands start to feel any burn. Am I doing something wrong?

Is it okay to have a boner while a chick is grinding on you (at a rave) or is that weird?

You basically have to bulk or cut. I suggest you cut but lift to maintain your strength and lean mass

Oh, so I had to cut then? Alright, I've been doing SS with no cardio in general. But I guess that means I have to add some form of it in then to help out with the cutting process.

Is it more reasonable to expect a lb a loss per month then? Or does cutting lose more than that if I've done it correctly?

It's kind of hard for me to figure out if I'm eating enough every day when I feel constantly hungry.

Even after eating my fill of rice and chicken.

What calorie surplus is best for lean bulking? I've heard people say anything from 300 to 500 additional calories.

I cant afford enough food to bulk, what kind of food can i use to bulk.

You might be pulling your weight up a bit to try and support the weight or slouching forward. Try to look at your form but if everything is a-ok work on your shoulders cause its pretty crazy to imagine that your grip is stronger than your shoulders and traps, that's why i think form is to blame

like the other user said, weighing yourself daily is nonsense. It leads to stress and anxiety, particularly if it seems like you're not making progress. Weigh yourself once weekly (preferably on the same day) in the same conditions: After you take a shit and before you eat any food. I find that a big cup of coffee first thing in the morning helps get things moving and it's easy to subtract the coffee weight.

I would suggest eating less calories and protein (you only need 0.8g per pound of bodyweight). According to most TDEE calculators you only have a TDEE of roughly 2100. I doubt you're burning 400 calories in the gym, so I'd say reduce your intake to 2700 calories.

Milk.
>2 types of deadlifts on the same day as squat while having a full accessory day in the previous day
>leg extensions and not leg press
12 years of lifting to be retarded? This the kind of guy giving "noobs" advice.

I'm skinnyfat and I lost 9 lbs last month. Only lifting for 3 months, down from 202---> 178.

Just make sure there is tons of protien in your diet man.

I've actually added on strength too during the cut.

Cutting fast is fine, the sooner you get to skeleton mode, the sooner you can bulk and add some muscle man.

Weight fluctuates daily based on a variety of things.

Did you consume more sodium than usual? Could retain more water. Did you poop at all yesterday? You could have 1-2 pounds of shit in you. Have you drank anything? etc. etc.

Weighing daily is pointless, particularly if they're not in the same conditions.

Pure shit whst did you do in the last 12 years

You'll look better if you cut and you're not going to lose than much strength. It's your choice though and going strongman mode is totally up to you.

Basically everyone says 400-500 calories. It's all preference from there.

Basically everyone says +250.

+500 is only for rodiers. It allows you to get the maximum gains out of your cycle.

You're retarded bulking +500 as a natty. You will need to cut for twice as long (duh) or cut at a larger deficiet at the cost of lean mass

It'd probably be easier just to due smaller cycles of bulking and cutting.

bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/

So is cold showers just a meme, anyone here noticed a difference?

Would it be alright if I did the same accessory work every workout (curls, kickbacks and lateral raises 3x12) regardless of the main lifts I did?
Also would it be bad if I did pull-ups and push-ups every DAY?

Noticed a huge difference, I used to relax and enjoy my showers, now they are literal suffering for no benefit at all.

Oh well, at least I have become oh so much more disciplined.

It's just fucking people that don't have the DISCIPLINE like I do to freeze their dick off for zero reason for zero benefit that don't do cold showers.

They wish they had this """"discipline""" and this much autism

Can I ask for a form check?
youtu.be/N_5pw7fJK90
youtu.be/fjSVtNrUVp8

Recommendations on how to get my pull ups to increase? I can't seem to break 3 and I've been doing 3xF twice a week

What's the consensus on lifting barefoot? I think getting used to it just as I'm just starting out (right under 2pl8 squat) will lead to better mobility, stronger tendons and small feet muscles, etc. in the future. Can I keep lifting barefoot as my squat gets heavier and heavier, or should I start saving up for olympic shoes soon (not planning to compete or anything)?

Note that I'm severely flat-footed, but I have achieved pretty decent mobility. I can do 12 pistol squats with perfect form (barefoot), and I squat the barbell ATG all the time, focusing on form instead of numbers.

christmas is coming up. Are foam rollers worth it if you lift 4 days a week and go running 1-2 days per week?

keto vs CICO balance diet

is there any advantage or is it just memes. Advantage in regards to the rate at which you lose fat not water.

Nie zle, ale nizej.

Have you been doing any other upper back work?
Perfor

pls respond

Performance differs depending on how far your arms are apart as well.

I normally rest 1 minute in between sets (8-12)

But with deadlifts I rest a lot more (usually no more than 10). After I'm done with a set I just feel knackered and need more recovery time before I feel confident that I can perform as well as I want for the next set. Am I doing it right?

fokn kekd

depends. Will you be named Reek after you take your shoes off or freshcut spring flowers with a dash of melon.

yes. I always rest for 2-3 minutes despite doing 8-12 reps. I would consider deadlift to be the most taxing of all the big four so if you don't feel 100% when approaching the bar, no point forcing it. I've noticed most people take 5-10 on it unless they're doing babyweight or drop sets.

anyone?

accessory work, sure. I wouldn't do pullups every fukken day tho. They're pretty taxing and might lead to having a decline in the gym from not recovering fast enough.

Any exercise to strengthen the lower back?

My 1RM for high bar ATG squats and deadlift are 90 and 100kg respectively. I feel like my legs could easily deliver more, but my lower back might cave even though I brace my core.

t. 5'6, 60kg asian dyel

Could be your entire core desu. But things you might consider trying and see if they suit: hanging barbell back extensions, heavy deadlifts low reps, burpees, romanian deadlifts with perfect form, planks.

Hey guys, does anyone know of any reputable sources proving this old thing wrong?

And by reputable sources, I mean people who made their PHDs and such

thanks. btw when I said "usually no more than 10" I meant reps on the deadlift, not minutes. Maybe 6 minutes might be what I take usually.