I love the idea of running to loose weight...

I love the idea of running to loose weight, I plan on running for 2 months to loose weight while also beginning a sensible diet. I am 6ft 85kg (187lbs) but I have three main concerns that I hope you can help me deal with:

1: Is it possible to do permanent damage to my knees or any other part of my from running an hour a day for 2 months?

2: What are the best running shoes from cushioning my joints from impact?

3: How many calories would I likely burn in an hours worth of intense running?

>loose

>inb4gomad

> 2016
> being so nu-male you have to overthink just going for a run

ISHYGDDT

>loose

Thanks a lot Veeky Forums, you've been a terrific help.

My stats are nearly the same as yours when i started my cut a month ago.

Running on trails guarantees no leg damage. Running on cement is safe enough as you limit that to no more than maybe twice a week.

I would highly recommend you strength train on top of running. Im doing SS, on top of daily running. The cardio and training synergize remarkably well for weight loss, as your body burns calories repairing muscles even off days. And if you're a total noob, you'll actually get strength gains for a while as you lose fat.

I've lost 7lbs in a month already, in spite of my strength gain.

Run on trails, not concrete. Invest in good running shoes, learn proper running form and you're good to go. Shouldn't need to worry about knees if you do all that and test your limits :) gl OP.

Thanks, problem is there aren't really any trail areas near me. What running shoes would be very good for cushioning?

1. Yeah, most injury comes from over training and exacerbated by poor form and poor flexibility, running itself if everything else is in order is not harmful. But most people over train, have poor form, and are inflexible, so you will probably hurt yourself at some point, but I would not worry about that to start (first 6 months).

2. You are from an evolutionary point of view one of the most well designed distance running animals on the planet. You will not fall apart if you go jog for an hour, stop focusing on this.

3. You will burn less calories than your post workout hunger can take care of. Endurance exercise can make you slim if you go balls deep in it for a long time, but you can NOT think of one run = some amount of weight loss. Endurance exercise for weight loss in studies shows a tarable compliance rate over time and abysmal end result weight loss for people who try to use it for such.

If you wanna lose weight, cut out most carbs in your diet, eat a lot of fat and some protein, and think of it as an on going routine, not a fixed time period diet.

If you wanna start running at the same time you can, but you only have a certain amount of will power to make changes, and if running is a slog for you you'll probably sacrifice your diet and have very poor weight lose results. This will lead to discouragement and returning to old habits.

My advice. Look up the Keto diet, or if you are looking for something a little easier the slow carb diet, try that first for a week or two and than worry about running if you want.

>loose

>loose

>loose weight

its lose you fucking garbage

You should not run more than every other day, especially if you are new to this.

For shoes, lookup forefoot running. No need for cushion.

Read the sticky, running is for cardio, not loosing weight.

Foot shapes differ, what fits one may not work with someone else

Any specific models of trainer that work well overall?

Joints get worn down eventually, knees and shoulders are the first to go, running too much just gets your knee problems to appear earlier, only your genetics know when though

1. No, it's just middle school urban legend to believe running messes your knees up. This has been proven wrong over and over. Learn correct running form though.

2. It really depends. Go to a running store and try some on. Do not buy zero drop or Vibrams if you plan on running on anything that isn't sand or dirt. Buy real shoes.

3. The general rule of thumb is 100 calories per mile. Count by mile, not time. The faster you run, the more EPOC you undergo. But that's marginal compared to running longer distances. Steady running will always burn more than running as fast as you can for 2 minutes.

About 100 calories per mile. Just try different shoes. And just practice running.

1) run 3 times a week to avoid damaging yourself.
2) anything you feel comfortable with I guess. Not every foot is the same, you can probably buy some gel pads to improve cushioning.
3) ~1000 depending on how fast you run. Usually 1km is 150cal

You need to think of it the other way around, i.e. fix your diet first and foremost, and then any running you do after that is just a bonus.

Don't worry about going for an hour - especially if you are already overweight, you'll be lucky if you can even slowly jog one mile (i.e. about 10-15 minutes worth.)

How do people reduce/deal with the tightness in the calves that builds up during running? I'm trying to improve my running, but after a kilometer or so my calves feel really tight to the point where it's very uncomfortable and it takes a lot of walking to make the feeling go away. Is there a problem in my form, or do I need new running shoes (mine are pretty old at this point), or what? Are there specific stretches to help with this?