CARDIO THREAD

there wasnt any so cardio fanatcis come here ask your questions and shit

ill start: can i just start jogging for 30 minutes trying to keep a constant rate and taking breaks when i need to or is it necesary to do couchto5k????

ALSO

for weight loss should i aim to jog more distance in the same time or just jog more total time?

ALSO

if i wanted to do HIIT what would be a good starting program?

You can take breaks if you want to, keep pushing yourself and you will be able to run for an hour easily.
The faster you run, the more calories you will burn, ideally you want to run fast and long. I burn over 1300kcal in an hour in a tempo run.
Bunch of different good interval sets, you aiming for any specific race/distance or you just want to lose weight?
I do mostly long distance so like to do long intervalls, so usually alternate between 20x400, yasso 800s, 10x1k and 6xmile.

>you aiming for any specific race/distance or you just want to lose weight?
just lose weight

Okay then shorter intervals will be fine, work your way up so a sub 60 10k is easy, then start doing short intervals. Flying 40s are pretty fun, you do 40s on high effort followed by 20s recovery jog x10 then you jog easily a few minutes and repeat. You will also notice that weight impacts speed a lot in running. Even though I am only about 2-3kg over race weight now I'm still considerably slower.

Trust me you will get hooked just like I did, started just to lose some weight, then did a few 10ks, a year later my first mary and now im a 10+ time ironman finisher with over 20 standalone marys

>4
i dont really understand much of what youre saying could you say it again adding units to all the numbers

what is a good stretching routine for before jogging?

I'm so fucked.
I can't even run for five minutes and I already feel like I'm dying. I got solid muscle mass but the cardio, holy shit

Gotta start somewhere brah. Cardio gains are the hardest to achieve but the most rewarding. Not to mention it's the best way to get shredded. An hour of running burns over 1000 kcal

Look up dynamic stretching. You should do dynamic stretching before a run and static stretching afterwards.

Try 4 to 500 and no one that needs to lose that weight is going to be running for an hour

>An hour of running burns over 1000 kcal
no, not by a longshot, it burns half that much tops if youre really really good

couch25k is not mandatory...
I guess 30min with breaks are fine too

Also keep in mind everything pretty much everything is working at the beginning, so just do some running

I've always found cardio funnest when I don't think about it or time myself, just throw on some music and run, I know it's not the most effective way to get better but I went from being able to run around a mile to doing 4-5 miles at a decent pace.

Just use an elliptical or some shit at about 17 resistance. That's 500 for a half hour at 5mph

>That's 500 for a half hour at 5mph
yeah no

...yeah? Prove how it's not

Newfag here. Want to try swimming for cardio. This good idea? How many laps would be considered good cardio?

do 30 minutes of continuous cardio, swimming is great, increase teh amount of laps you can do in that time

search for tutorials on technique and spend some time improving technique

the thing about swimming is that good tecnhique really changes your performance, so you could be in great shaep but if you dont know how to perform a proper front crawl you will be very slow and get tired very easy

Thanks user! Off to learn wtf a front crawl is.

Been trying the eliptical cardio shit that i keep reading praises about online. Is elliptical a meme?

30 minutes of 60 second intervals of high and low intensity says i burned just short of 450 calories. Worked up a sweat and felt my core on fire for a little while after.

Or should I just jog for like 30 minutes at similar intervals?

I would take the calorie readouts on any machine with a large grain of salt, but any form of cardio that gets you sweating and breathing heavily is good for you. Plus elliptical is a lot easier on your knees than jogging.

Yeah, save your knees.

I'm a forester, and I walk through the woods all day and put my knees through shit as a result (snowshoes are killer). I don't want to put them through any more stress so I stick to the elliptical.

If I have bad knees when Im older. I want to make damn sure its not because of running in place in a white-painted, sterilized facility.

40s = 40 seconds....

Swimming is great, and would definitely recommend signing up for an adult freestyle course. The first months will be pretty tough swimming, but after a while when you have better technique i would say 2500+m is a good length for a regular workout and then you can do one longer every week at about 4000.
Google swimming 100s and you will find great routines, you should never just be doing laps.