Training for Military

Okay Veeky Forums, lets say theoretically I wanted to do some kind of Special Operations Forces in the US Military (e.g. Navy SEAL, Green Berets, Marine Raider)

What would my workout routine and diet be like?

Other urls found in this thread:

professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42993
youtube.com/watch?v=KY08ZXSO1CI
2commando.gov.au/careers/preparation-and-training
sealswcc.com/navy-seal-what-are-chances-hell-week-success.html
military.com/military-fitness/navy-special-operations/navy-seal-fitness-test
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Endurance training and mental conditioning. The majority of those guys can barely push a 90kg bench.

High calorie. Lots of cardio endurance.

Get a pack with 50 lbs of whatever, and walk as fast as you can and as far as you can 3 times a week. This is the most difficult part for most people.

Yup, military guys don't lift a lot. That's kinda changing now in the U.S. but if you're a burger then you have a notoriously weak military

Got it, but what kinda physical benchmarks should I be at before entering the training pipeline for one of these forces?

Try to incorporate a lot of McDonald's and and heavy lifting and limit your cardio only 1 time a week

nice meme

a lot of different distance runs 5,10,15 mile hikes at a 6 minute/1 mile pace, lots of swimming also.

From my experiece:

Become a cardio animal. No really, the whole training feels like a fucking Triathlon.

Also learn on how train without food. They will starve you on 1500 kcal a day and intense training to see how strong you are mentally.

And what should I do other than that (if anything) to develop mental toughness?

Also buy a hypoxic mask

They use:
>starvation
>sleep deprivation
>ambient temperature
>humidity
to break you.

There isn't really a way to prepare for it because you will stop your workouts before you reach the point that they will push you. Normal boot isn't too big of a deal though, and just preparing before going put you ahead of a lot of people there.

professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42993

Fuck that looks thorough. Thanks man.

maybe we'll be in selection together someday user. Good luck.

Which one you joining user?

- Get up before 6am everyday, without exception to exercise for mental conditioning.

- Be able to 2 hour fell run without a break.

- Do step 2 whilst wearing a 50kg bergen.

- Learn how to swim combat side stroke and sprint side stroke.

- there is no substitute for hard work.

I know that part of the test to get into the Marines is lifting a 30lbs can of ammo over your head as many times as you can in 2 minutes. I've been preparing for that with a regular 30lbs dumbbell. My max was 10 lifts when I first started, but now I can max out at 40 reps max with another 2 sets of 20 after. I'm going to move the weight up to 35lbs and see how that goes. When it's time for the test, I'll be lifting that can at super speed for the full 2 minutes.

You will never catch a break so just prepared to be called a faggot a lot all while being in extreme physical pain, so just the right mind set of not giving up no matter what. Put on some sunscreen a pair of running shoes or cleats and run sandhills, sprints, bearcrawls, just cardio, cardio, and prepare to lose all your gains in selection.

You can probably look up the strength requirements on their respective sites. And work to and above them. Calinesthetics is the way too go bc almost all of them are along the likes of x pushups in a minute, etc...

No need to worry, I've lost them all already.

A lot of running. Pullups, pushups. If you don't currently lift at all, squats and deads to the point that you've developed sufficient muscle mass to hump an 80lbs pack without it killing you.

Don't do this ever. Only 2LT's fresh out of IBOLC wear those.

1500 isn't starving bro.

Sup dickknuckles, i am in a sof unit. Here is a sample of physical training guidance provided by staff on hand. Take it as you will.

good goy thank you

Fucktons of cardio, hiking, calisthenics, swimming

I never had a problem with the rucks. Probably all the years of sports before I went in. But man, you are right, it was the HARDEST thing for so many people.

Hardest thing for me was the lack of sleep, I like to get 9 hours, we were getting like 4-6 at best.

Be able to ruck MILES without being dead tired (5+) with a 75 ruck on. Because when you get done, you'll set up, do drills, train etc. The walking is just the warm up. Also, you can try to adapt to sleeping few hours a night, but this is hard because if you do this then go right into training, you are doubling the time you are under that stress. Also get good at thinking on your feet. It's 60% mental, 40% physical. Your brain will break before your body will. You will just THINK you can't do it... Also.... PUSHUPS and PULLUPS. LOTS OF THEM.

LOL you're dumb. 1500 cal a day but working out for literally 12 hours a day. During training you will burn 5-10k a day (depending on the day). And some days you only get ONE MRE, which is about 1200-1800 cal.

kinda depends on the SOF unit

SF/82nd, tons of rucking, running, land nav stuff, going without food at times, also SF selection is bretty quick

For NSW, BUD/s is 6 months. You will never go hungry, 4 meals a day the whole time. No rucking. Lots of cold water, swimming, team stuff with boats. Neck strength is really important in BUD/s I hear.

PJs, honestly I've heard PJ training is like broken up BUD/s, with med school mixed in. It has one of the lowest pass rates of any SOF training in the world afaik, which is crazy because how many people even know what PJs are much less apply? Anyways shit is called Superman School for a reason I guess.

MARSOC/Recon, a lot like SF but with some swimming and more spam can carrying. But you'll be in the corps for a year+ before you get a shot at this so you really just need to be in good enough shape for SoI, you can train up while you're in.

For almost all of them, the strength requirement is minimal. Endurance is much harder, and then mental grit is the real killer for most guys.

>but if you're a burger then you have a notoriously weak military

low quality bait

I have a mate in the military and I have legitimately no idea of how the fuck they survive on as little sleep as he says he's had in training.

Being up 30 hours nightclubbing is srs business and takes two days to recover from. Being up 40 hours laying in a ditch staring at the sky is apparently normal and takes on normal night before you're expected to be normal again.

How the ever loving fuck do you get like this?

You just get used to it after a while. Shit catches up with you big time once you get old though.

>5 mile run: 37:00

FUCK THAT
U
C
K

T
H
A
T

It's not military but I did smokejumper rookie training which is 6 weeks of intense physical conditioning and I washed out after 3 weeks because I got shin splints. Hope I helped.

Swimming, cardio, calisthenics

Double that weight for any infantry unit.

The main is 1200, then you have peanut butter, condensed milk, trail mix, energy bars, and electrolyte beverages to buck you up to your daily needs. You're not supposed to have a three course dinner when working, it's supposed to be quick and easy calories.

Train as is you were doing a triathlon. Do push up, pull ups and the plank after every run/swim.

Start going hiking with a heavy bag every weekend. Hilly areas are best if you have them near you.

Keep in mind that every special forces selection in the world is trying to break you. No matter how fit you are you will feel like shit.

If you are the type of person who struggles with self motivation or self discapline then get that nailed down. You need to be able to look after yourself and chase your goals without hesitation.

These. Other things are not being able to change your clothes (which can become very dirty, or wet, etc.) for many days.

Sleep deprivation is probably the ''easiest'' or the most convenient in civil to perform. Go to sleep at 1-3 am and wake up at 5-6 am, with no exceptions. Be very strict about immediately rising from the bed and not lingering there in a coma mode. Even better, don't sleep in your own bed, do it on the floor with only a blanket or nothing if temperatures allow it. I had a 12 day forest camp in temperatures ranging from -5C to -25C. Sleep deprivation, constant darkness (there were about 5 hours of sunlight a day) and face alongside fingers and toes going numb whenever outside the tent (about 21 hours a day) was definitely the toughest for me.

>275 dl
>2pl8 squat
>bodyweight benching

LMAO WUT. When I was still being called DYEL from normies I had better stats than this shit. I was wondering how my classmate marine got accepted into marsoc division when he was a little chub and weaker than me

Not the person you're replying to, but speak from experience relating to discussion.

>Go to sleep at 1-3 am and wake up at 5-6 am, with no exceptions. Be very strict about immediately rising from the bed and not lingering there in a coma mode

So much this.

Probably one of the unlikely benefits I had going into uni (waaay back in the mid-late 00's)

I wasn't so much a studious student back then,
But being able to cram for exams/ training how to function with little sleep was probably the biggest perks I've learnt, inadvertently as a result of being a lazy student.

You learn to sleep anywhere uncomfortable or not, and you fine tune how to hit deep sleep really quickly any time of the day, but just be uncomfortable enough to be somewhat alert, like how you wake up before dawn or earlier than normal if you sleep somewhere unfamiliar.

Just keep in mind that you need a few minutes to "wake up", getting the blood flowing works, washing your face with a bit of water works.

But if you're keen, give this a go.
>Set your alarm clock at a random time through the night, break routine.
> do something that doesn't involve artificial light to wake you up (i.e computers)
> do something like physically simple gardening, clean something or part of the house.
> do something mental, i.e solve a puzzle, write down a whole paragraph/chapter from a book, paraphrase, until you understand what is said then recite what you've learned.

Eventually work your way up to more physically demanding activities, like hitting a 10k run in an hour, whatever.

Just be careful that you don't go doing things like driving a car or something, assume your cognitive abilities are the same as if you're intoxicated when sleep deprived.

i wish i had heterochromia

There are specific workout programs for each specific SOF unit with a selection process. SF, SEALs and MARSOC all have one. Note that there is no equivalent of the 18X SF or SEAL Challenge contract for the Marines. You will have to suffer through till you are an E4. That time can vary depending on MOS from a year in fleet to over 5.

All is pretty much the same in that only the mentally powerful pass. SEALs and to a much lesser extent MARSOC have extensive water work which will require specialized training. SF and MARSOC have extensive ruck marching generally carrying other things. Minimum 45lbs by 6 mi. Up to 80lbs with longest distance being 20mi.

Land Nav is a very good skill to have going in. People fail because of that all the time.

Go to the beach, mud pit, w/e and do push ups, sit ups, mountain climbers, steam engines, roll, hello dollies, insert body weight exercises for at least an hour. Keep pushing times longer and longer. Pit training is easy but can wash people out that aren't used to it.

If you have a buddy to train with that will help. Body weight +1 exercises are good and will get you used to carrying another human body which is awkward.

Another selection thing is being a guy that works well with others. You will get peer voted out if you don't take orders well or if you think you are king shit.

That's all I can think of. Ruck for SF. Swim for SEALs. Both for Raiders.

i'm training for the aus military to be an infantry officer.

physical is 15 push ups, 45 sit ups and 7.5 shuttle run. once you've finished basic you're expected to do 80 pushups otherwise you fail. have been told to get my 2.4km run down to 10 minutes and 22 minutes for 5km by a recruiter.

my goals: intermediate lifting levels by those strength calculator websites, 10 pull ups, 80 pushups, 100 sit ups, and the above run times as well as being able to do a 10km run in a reasonable time.

keep in mind this is only just regular army.

this is a good doco on aus sas selection, looks tough as fuck.: youtube.com/watch?v=KY08ZXSO1CI

this training schedule gives you an insight in what you'd be doing: 2commando.gov.au/careers/preparation-and-training

these days its pretty clear that the best workout for military is doing crossfit as much as Veeky Forums hates it.

Good luck mate.

I'm training for rifleman in the ADF. Just started though.

So does she. (she uses contacts)

JTF2 is like Canada's Army SF. The standards depicted here are good ballparks and training goals.

I'm not going military, but I'm shooting for police. Their PT test is a joke but I suspect the academy is similar to military bootcamp. I can only assume I need to run lots, do push ups, do sit ups, and learn to take a punch to the face.

What would you lads suggest I do to train or better my training? Last year I lost a bunch of weight and was running. At the moment I've just been lifting 5 days a week. I know I need to do more endurance exercises, but does anybody have a good routine to ease into?

My goal is to be academy-ready in one year's time.

I was in a military for a couple years as part of some mandatory service faggotry. Wasn't special forces myself, but had a specialty that allowed me to train with many SOF troops.
You cannot stress physical stamina and endurance enough. Don't get me wrong, raw strength is great and necessary, but you need to be able to carry 130+% of your bodyweight for kilometer after kilometer after kilometer without fail. Get good at distance running and rucking (what some other anons mentioned as putting weight in your bag and walking distance).

Best of luck to you!

I just tried a walk with a weighted backpack. I struggled admittedly but I'm hoping to join the Royal Marines next year before I turn 20, I walked about 3 miles in an hour with 15KG (35lb) of weight in my bag.

How bad of a starting point is this?

Also I'm 5'8 160lbs. I think 35lbs might have been a bad starting point considering it's nearly a quarter of my body weight

Okay the navy seal PST is posted online but the requirements aren't that hard.

There's been studies done in order to optimize your chances of making it through hell week, if you get too strong your chances of getting med rolled go up significantly

sealswcc.com/navy-seal-what-are-chances-hell-week-success.html

Also its been recommended that you are able to tread for three minutes with no hands while holding a 25lb weight

The actual physical screening requirements are here. Keep in mind they aren't too difficult but the reason most people drop is because they are unable to keep up with the mental stress and exhaustion

military.com/military-fitness/navy-special-operations/navy-seal-fitness-test

Id do 5 days a week gym + 6 days a week cardio for a while (3-4 months) and then cut by 2 days a week gym (Bench, squat, ohp, pullups, farmer walks) and 6 days a week cardio.
Swimming and running.

Sundays would be just some light walking on the nature.

And, would be strongman training (cardio related one, not static) fair?

Cardio would be some kind of mixing running with pushups, pullups and situps.

There's a whole subleddit with verified active duty and retired seals answering questions and giving advice to people going into BUDs

And one of the mods there did a really good AMA too.

Thats rather good, nothing great but nothing to fret about.

If you're actually serious about any type of special operations and you're taking advice from Veeky Forums... you will absolutely fail.

You need to look up the pass tests and what the average acceptance rate is. Yeah for STO part of the pass rate is like 8 pulls ups... but the average is 18. If you don't have the contacts to talk to anyone in the field... then you need to look up some genuine training programs as well. Hint: They'll be more endurance related. You'll also need figure which are bullshit and which aren't. Some of the advice people are giving in here is laughable. But if you aren't able to differentiate between the good and awful advice you shouldn't be trusted with other peoples lifes anyways.

Assuming you're enlisting you'll need to have top ASVAB scores too(not that hard to get)

could you post a link please ?

Also, it doesnt matter how heavy you are, everyone carries the same gear.

Not him but It's just r/navyseals

Pretty small community so not alot of new content but there's a ton of useful links and info if you sort from top of all time. I just had my eye surgery a few months ago and plan on joining in three years after I graduate uni. Worst case I wash out of BUDs and get stuck with a job painting boats or some shit, best case I graduate buds go on to SQT and become a team member.

>r/navyseals
thank you very much

>basic-ass air freshener
>basic-ass interior design

I just expected more, ya know?