EYE HEALTH GENERAL

Who Lasik here?

I turned 18 y/o a few weeks ago. Interested in ditching my contacts/glasses as quickly as possible.
Is Lasik a good investment? Will it deteriorate over time? Should I wait until puberty ends? Discuss

bump for interest. im pretty much on the same boat. Wearing glasses sice being 8yo and turned 18 a few months ago

I'm considering eye surgery as well. Don't limit yourself to Lasik. Think about your needs and consider prk and the one where they put fake lenses in your eyes.

It's really best to get eye surgery after you finish growing. I'm 23 and I'm afraid I'll be pushing the envelope by getting it too soon. Probably not, but it's always possible I could suddenly grow-- you don't officially stop until you're 25. At 18 you probably have plenty of growing to do. Talk to an eye doctor about it some time.

Where the fuck do you see "health" on the board's name?

Get the fuck off my board

when you google "Veeky Forums health" /fit is first suggestion

Get it done breh

Seriously do it senpai.

Right, and when you google "Veeky Forums politics", you'll get /pol/. But that doesn't mean you should go to /pol/ for political advice

Yeah, we really need to get this thread cleaned up, it's stealing valuable space from the endless rehashes we ought to be seeing.

>Hey bros are black genetics real or a meme?

>Why can't lifting get me a gf. I'm sad ;'(((

>Yeah bro, PLG man, let's get fat and pick up heavy shit fuck yeah

Come on nigger. The guy wants eye advice. I think it'll be ok, and the topic is at least tangentially related.

>not going to /pol/ for political advice
You're not wearing your trip Trappy

Does PRK give you the same glares and halos when driving at night? I heard LASIK gives you that, and I already got those a little bit.

A friend of mine works for Lasik (as a secretary/receptionist, not a surgeon - just to be clear) and she's been hounding me to get eye surgery done forever. My eyesight is legitimately terrible - legally bind without glasses, and I suppose the argument could be made that I'll never make it without surgery. That said, I don't give a shit. I've worn glasses all my life, and I ever get big enough that still wearing glasses would be incongruous with my physique (unlikely) I guess then I'd consider it.

As for her endorsements, Lasik is apparently the premier vision correction practice in the world. Cheap, safe, effective, non-invasive, the whole lot. None of that means anything to me - I like my glasses, I'm used to wearing glasses, and suddenly not wearing them won't suddenly make my life drastically better. I've always thought of getting laser eye surgery to no longer wear glasses as a woman getting a mastectomy because she decided she was sick of wearing bras.

But none of that matters:
>Talk to an eye doctor about it some time.

Coming to Veeky Forums for surgery advice, are you fucking retarded? The fuck is wrong with you?

This, also your eyesight should have been stable in the last couple of years

I got it done, it cost me $3000, I wore glasses for more than a decade, now I don't have to.
The doctor will tell you to avoid heavy lifting for a month after though.

These days PRK and Lasik glares/halos are not supposed to be permanent. In the first few months after PRK surgery you're supposed to get halos at night, but after ~3 months it is supposed to go away as your eye heals up and smooths. I'm no expert, I only know this because I googled it and know an eye surgeon who I ask about things.

I got prk for free since I'm in the army and honestly it was the best thing I've ever done. Idk how much it costs on the civilian side but it would be worth paying for imo. My vision is 20/20 now and I don't get dry eye or anything but I know some people who's eyes get dry every now and then after the healing period for the surgery. Only problem is at night lights like while I'm driving have a small halo around them that's about the only downside so not really much of a problem.

You have to wait for your vision to stabilize before you get lasik no way they're gonna recommend an 18 year old do it especially when you can just wear contacts in the meantime

Maybe she thinks you look hot without glasses.
I got surgery lined up in 2 months, positively excited.
Glasses suck for so many things: Headphones, get foggy in winter(especially with face scarf) , swimming/surfing, sex and making out. Really lookig forward to wake up and just have the world in focus. Im glad glasses exist, but fuck em

>I've always thought of getting laser eye surgery to no longer wear glasses as a woman getting a mastectomy because she decided she was sick of wearing bras.

It's more like a woman getting boob implants because she was born without tits. Although in your case it serves a functional purpose as well.
That's a retarded comparison man.

I'm young, do a lot of MMA, and get glare when I see headlights at night. Anybody have experience with that? Would PRK help with glare, and would it be hurt by contact sports?

Not in the context of the discussion. She wasn't selling me Lasik on the basis of "you'd look better without glasses" (aesthetics) but on the basis of "wouldn't it be nice not to have to wear glasses?" (function). I mean I agree and it's a silly comparison regardless, but that was how the conversation went.

>Maybe she thinks you look hot without glasses.
Maybe. Doubtful but maybe.

>asks Veeky Forums about this instead of an eye surgeon

how are people this stupid allowed to function?

bump for interest

I had no touch Trans PRK last friday

gonna be healing until next friday

2211 euros. hope the end result is worth it.

21 here, got lasik in summer, best decision ever - now have better than 20/20 vision. Doctors say it's suitable once your prescription starts being stable (not changing often). Every day and night I can see better than ever before. Well worth saving for.

older Veeky Forumsbro here. Been to a couple of different places for consultation, so...

Been considering Lasik for a couple of years bc I can't wear contacts at work and I have other issues with glasses.

Do not fall for the "low price" ones. It's a rather common procedure now, but it relies more than a bit on the skill of the doctor.

You might need a second "adjustment". A cheap storefront will be charging separate for this.

A larger practice or a hospital/university connected place will probably have the newest equipment; they will cost more, but everyone I know that has had little or no issues has gone this route.

Your vision will still slip as you get older. reading glasses are not out of the question, but distance vision will tend to not change much.

Looking between our local teaching hospital which has a state-of-the-art all-laser system, and a practice 60 miles south of me that is run by that local hospital in association with my hospital. My expected cost will be 2.5 - 3K per eye.

Lasik will fuck up your night vision

You should wait until your eyes stop getting worse so you don't have to get it done again. I'm 25 and my prescription only just stop changing. Going in soon to get it done.

Don't get lasik till you're 23-25.

This is only some cases, not every single time.

Fuck you asshole

Keratoconus
4 eye surgeries and I still cant see dick
I cant ever get surgery and I have fucking intacts implanted in my eye

AMA

heres my eyes if you wanna see the intacts

You should try contact lenses. I've had them for years and I'll never go back to glasses. They're perfect.
My mother is almost legally blind and has been wearing contact lenses for years, just like me. Laser surgery became possible when she was younger, but she never dared to try it. Now it turns out that the people who got early laser treatment can't get operated for cataracts, a very common problem when you're old. My point is that laser surgery might interfere with other surgical procedures. Obviously, technology has progressed a shitton since those early treatments, but still. I'd be careful with my eyes.

PRKfag here. The two weeks of doing nothing after the operation was the Hell of Boredom, but it was well worth the 3k I spent on it. It didn't hurt at all and the concerns, at least for me, they told me about were overhyped.

Can't be fit if you can't see shit homie.

Ignore wht all other fags have said about waiting lol wtf thy know nothing about lasik they are virgins,

Tht being said go to peru thy have the best eye doctor lasik cost 2.5k, 700ticket

Lasik in america runes 5k or more

I got it it was great can see better thn 20/20 ur eyes get bigger over time if u wore glasses since age 1, after two weeks thy get normal looking, n even months later now my eyes look bigger

>Tht being said go to peru thy have the best eye doctor lasik cost 2.5k, 700ticket
You guys pay for the doctor with 'tickets'?

>tfw have to get prk and the eye doctor said my best hope is 20/40.

I have 20/100 in both eyes, with the right eye being half-lazy (can see with it and everything, but it gets strained if I close my other eye for too long).

Also because of the lazy eye, I don't have depth perception which sucks, but I was born without it so I adapted to it (can drive, shoot, do whatever without any issues, driving a firetruck is a bitch though (paid on call at the local fire dept)).

I'd still need glasses even if I got the surgery, and it'd be a 6 month recovery time before they are back to full function.

Is it worth it bros? (need 20/40 minimum for local police depts, which I want to do)

he probably means plane ticket

Was kidding user :)

Doesn't lasik give you dry eyes for life? Also horrible scars that never fully heal?

Does PRK do that too?

i'd love to fix my eyesight somehow but i think i'll wait for 100% safe with 0 side effects procedure after which i can still practice martial arts

I don't know, I just asked around for lasik because I was interested for a while. Then I read a load of horror stories. Fuck it, it's not worth the risk.

I got PRK on thursday. Recovery is kind of shitty, at least it is for me. Eyes are still sore, and vision still blurry.

PRK does not have permanent damage to the eye. Doesn't go as deep as lasik, just top layer that does completely heal itself.

Lasik does have a scar that never does heal completely. A flap is made in the cornea.

There is also one called Smile.

Best bet is to go to a clinic that offers all procedures and have them assess and tell you what fits best for you.

My friend was legally blind with bad vision. Wore contacts all the time.

Did the deed and now is glasses free. He said it was the best decision he ever made. Considering it myself even though I'm not nearly as bad.

>I like my glasses, I'm used to wearing glasses, and suddenly not wearing them won't suddenly make my life drastically better.
Bruh, you do know that after surgery you could keep wearing glasses without prescription lenses if you really wanted to, right?

Contacts suck cock
>fall out occasionally
>scratch your eyes if worn too long
>terrible if you hook up with a grill and wake up with them still in
>cost more than Lasik over 5 years

> -3.75 eyes
> had lasik at 18-19 y/o
> now 23
> close to perfect vision, one eye slightly off perfect
> can function without glasses
> eyes vary slightly day by day
> had several corneal ulcerations in one of my eyes, on and off

It's been 5 years, AMA

[spoiler]The surgery is pretty horrifying, but takes like 5 minutes[/spoiler]

Don't fuck with laser eye surgery, needlessly expensive and the slight risk of eye damage isn't worth it. Just wear glasses

Newfag detected lololol

Getting Lasik on the 28th. Don't get the cheap deal, pay more and use a top tier laser. My treatment will cost 4k

Haha i was only pretending to be retarded

Isn't PRK actually safer?

The new one -ReLEx SMILE- is meant to be the best though right?

Why get Lasik?