Fat shame / obese rate

35.7% of adults are obese
How does this even happen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eHWi5KzcQvg
youtube.com/watch?v=Jkr7Z0_Oj-Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it's surprisingly easy to become obese if you don't care at all about your diet and never work out. Happened to me. Three years ago I was a (stiff fat) 6'3" 215. A couple years of heavy drinking, never working out, and eating out for 75% of my meals caused me to balloon up to a whopping 255.

>tfw half a pound to go until my bmi makes me merely "overweight" instead of obese.

Desk jobs, tv culture, a country not well structured for physical activity, decline of physical culture, limited opportunity and cultural enthusiasm for sports participation outside of school ,
Giant food portions and too much prepackaged food, warped portioning

As an example, I just spent 3 years living in motels and eating bad food because of work. I put on weight and lost a lot of strength.
I'm back in the gym now but have a desk job. I get treated like some sort of fitness freak for spending an hour and a half each morning in the gym before work.

None of my coworkers can even fathom getting up early to exercise

The quality of life has improved. No one has to do hard work anymore, and easy access to food when you please. Also, I assume cheap fast food and expensive healthy food isnt helping.

Dude, I've been let go from so many jobs for not assimilating into junk food/tv culture and as a result, looking like a complete alien to folks when I say that I dont watch british bake off or big bang theory or whatever. I can't relate to normies and it's because I give a shit about myself.

The reason why normies are fat is because they feel obligated and pressured into a life of vice and underachievement. Consumption of sub-par entertainment, bad food, overpaid sportsball players on TV and night-life all gives us something safe to talk about at work when we get back on Monday. If you don't do this, you're considered a freak or a weirdo. You don't watch X-factor? Sorry, now almost anybody you work with is not going to be able to relate to you.

They eat shitty food because they hate themselves, and they hate themselves because they eat shitty food.

yeah, as in pretty much capitalism. U.S. is all about making money, not protecting the population and it's health. and it sin the best interest of big business that the populace continues to grow into mentally challenged consumerism cows

>No one has to do hard work anymore
not true, its just the nature of the work that has changed. instead of doing hard physical labor, the hard work now a days involves things like trying to figure out how humanity can support itself in space, aka a critical thinking hard problem. and in some ways its actually harder than before, because you're not allowed to self-sustain your own life, via being born into society and agreeing to live in it you're agreeing to play by rules like having working a job for 8+ hours a day that you dont like or may be rather irrelevant to humanity.
there are pros and cons to both sides of present and past, but do not wrongly jump to the conclusion that everything is just so much easier now a days. theres a lot of things that are actually much harder, like going to college and paying a shit ton more and having a shit ton more competition than your fathers generation did.

Dont tell me things are harder now than they ever have been, because thats wrong.

I can go online and buy literally ANYTHING I could ever want and never leave my home. We've gotten to the point where foods, that were usually only available during certain seasons, can be bought year round. People no longer have to work as hard to sustain themselves. Suddenly in the last couple of decades, hunting and farming is not needed to survive. Life expectancy has gone way up. Diseases arent that big of a concern anymore. The quality of life has improved, and people do not have to work as hard.

You know you can dislike pop culture while still being social/not an autist. Disliking the inferior things normies like isn't enough to get you laid off from a job. I'm willing to bet you just don't put yourself out there/ be friendly

Just a theory, but the most likely reason is because despite what Tumblr will tell you, it is mostly socially acceptable to be fat.

It mainly just boils down to social pressure. It's considered very rude to tell someone else that they're fat, they've gained weight, they should go on a diet, etc. Anyone who fat shames is seen as an awful person. There is very little social pressure making people want to stay thin. Plus, everyone around you is fat, so you don't stand out if you get fat too. Fat acceptance stuff plays a role as well. While hardly anyone is actually Tumblr-tier, people will say that they find dad bods and "curvy" women attractive. A person who gets down to a normal weight BMI will start getting called anorexic or criticized for losing what is deemed as too much weight. People will also sometimes fit shame and people who spend a lot of time at the gym are made fun of. Anyone who is objectively a good weight with muscle and a healthy diet will look different from everyone else, and people will either worry about their "obsession" or become jealous and make fun of them. You will receive more criticism from looking really good than you will get from being a fatass.

There are also a million little things that contribute to how easy it is to get fat. Fast food restaurants and convenience stores are everywhere and provide cheap and tasty food that is very calorie-dense and fattening. Many people won't bother to go home and cook a healthy meal when they can stop by McDonald's. There is a lot of misinformation about what foods are healthy and which one's aren't, and many people don't know much about nutrition. Condiments like ranch dressing or mayonnaise can add tons of calories to a meal. Consumption of a lot of alcoholic beverages or soda could contribute, too. All these little things in addition to having little social pressure to not be fat means that a lot of people are going to gain weight and not lose it.

I used to be fat in some teen years, like 14-17 and I don't even know how the fuck it happened.

Thinking back I can't remember ever eating that poorly, I am not even on a strict diet now but I went from 125 to 83 kg (185 cm)

I think it's mostly just regular lifting that made the difference.

>I've been let go from so many jobs for not assimilating into junk food/tv culture

Yeah, that didn't happen.

I was 250lbs because I would literally sit for 8 hours a day and play video games while eating entire Costco boxes of chocolate and granola bars.
High calorie, unfilling, sugar based foods, a sedentary job, and general life style.
Is it really that surprising?

What's more surprising is that I didn't realize how fat I was until I broke 240

It's a bit like being an alcoholic. You have to hit rock bottom. Thankfully, mine came when I went over 250 and not at full on land whale status. I realized that I looked like shit and clothes made no difference. I could walk around in my $1000 tailored suit all I wanted, I'd still look like a slob.

I really don't understand how people get much fatter than I was without making a serious change. When normal-sized clothing starts to fit badly, it should be a serious wakeup call.

Yes, it fucking did.
I used to work in an office. One day my co-workers were 'discussing' the 'Great British Bake Off' which is a fucking normie show about Muslims making cakes. One of them asked my opinion. I told them - and I quote - 'I have no interest in watching idiotic barbaric Muslims shoving flour and sugar into an oven whilst shovelling takeaway food down my disgusting mouth so I can communicate properly with the other fatarses in my office who can't understand words that aren't muttered from teeth that don't contain cake crumbs. Instead, I work out, and prepare healthy vegetable dishes and snack on boiled eggs and broccoli. Please do not mention this show around me again or I will take you to HR'.
For that I was fired because I didn't want to fit in with fucking fat fuck culture. To this day the first question I ask at job interviews is 'are we allowed to snack whilst working'. If the answer is anything other than 'yes, but we employ calorie managers to prevent office obesity', then I tell them I am not interested. 'No snacking' is also acceptable.

I became fat because my parents are fat and because of this I was raised to make very poor choices. Once you're fat I also think it is a little harder to eat healthy as your body isn't used to it and you were raised to eat unhealthily. On top of families being like this, America has companies that sell extremely good, cheap, unhealthy food (fast food for the most part). Then we have candy bars, soda, milkshakes, etc. you name it.

Of course it's socially acceptable. Tumblr extends their boundaries a bit but most people aren't going to be assholes to unhealthy people. Your theory is retarded to think the main reason is social pressure. If anything social pressure would make people LOSE weight, not gain it.

Obvious troll is obvious

I eat because I'm unhappy. I'm unhappy, because I eat

215@6'3 isn't obese.

obvious reddit is obvious

you have to go back

I don't know where you live, but here in 'Murrica, it is considered extremely rude to even suggest that someone is fat or even hint at it. Go to the South, walk up to a fatty and tell them that they need to lose weight, and see how well it goes for you. There might be a little bit of body shaming here and there, but there isn't much of it at all.

It's why Asian countries are thinner, if someone gets a bit chubby, they're going to catch hell for it. And many Chinese/Japanese/Korean/whatever who comment on someone else's weight do it in a well-meaning advice kind of way. But pointing it out to them will make them self-conscious and want to lose it.

If it was seen as unacceptable to be fat, and fat people had many other people pointing their weight problem out to them, very few people would be fat.

Let based Milo enlighten you.

youtube.com/watch?v=eHWi5KzcQvg

youtube.com/watch?v=Jkr7Z0_Oj-Q

Kek

Stress does things to you, thankfully i have high metabolism so I've never streaked past 120

dubs get all

Spoken like a true NEET

Food takes no effort to get and there is no motivation to exercise. That's about it really. We're so good at manipulating our environment we took the physical challenge out of living. KFC tastes pretty fucking good. Still, hating fatties is like hating gays: Doesn't affect me so why care? (yeah I know public health care etc and sitting next to them sucks).