/plg/ Powerlifting General

Powerlifting shit goes here

Other urls found in this thread:

strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2012/12/28/what-causes-knee-valgus/
youtube.com/watch?v=vimZj8HW0Kg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

HEY GUYS I SEE THERE ARE TWO /PLG/ THREADS UP ALREADY BUT I BETTER MAKE A THIRD BECAUSE I SUCK COCKS OK?

Go back to your cesspool on Veeky Forums. This thread is for powerlifters only.

I only have a frontal view, not the most useful. How do I test ankle mobility?

That makes sense though.

Also now looking back at this I wasn't quite doing the same setup thing bodorio does where he pushes his hips through and rotates his gluten into place (or something)

OK lads, fun challenge time

Load your bodyweight on the bar, set a timer for a minute and squat.

Just did 30 try and beat me :)

>powerlifters only
lets be real. half the people that post here dont compete

i really dont like your squats m8

i agree
they need to leave

Fucking hell that valgus, what the fuck man...

I can't see ankle mobility as the cause of that.

As long as they're preparing for a competition, or involved in the sport in some way, then that's fine.

OK lads, fun challenge time

Take your dick and beat it until you cum

Just beated it 2301 times, can you beat me?

LEANER
E
A
N
E
R

does look a bit small for a 120 lifter Tbh

>half
Doing one meet does not make you a powerlifter for life.

competing seems pretty boring

Holy valgus you almost made your knees clap

I want to have filips babies n-no homo

ive never heard anyone at their first meet say that was their opinion of the day
and you can make some powerlifting friends if you try
you are a frog tho

are you commie

it's really only that bad with the narrow stance + highish RPE. m-my warmups look okay

Maybe I'll try putting a band around my knees for a while.

me neither. I just want a pretty squat.

Doing the same routine for years with no goal or objective is more boringer.

never have competed it just looks boring

im a friend of his

I think you can fix it with banded squats, tho. Slow, banded squats for warmup, or even a few quick sets on rest days.
Yupyup.

dont do the same routine then

>I just want a pretty squat.
im not sure that is possible friend
you got a front view of your normal stance?

yeah i get that, im just saying no one walks away after saying that, that i have seen anyway
just do a meet lad
you are already kitted out lol

Who here /notgatekeeper/?

I got 0. Does that mean I win?

It is the best view.
It's definitely not your ankles, but it does involve your feet.

See, the reason you're having valgus is because of the weight and your tibialis muscle pushing and turning your feet towards the medial line.

To fix that, you have to work on changing your motor patterns.
First thing is, start at your feet. When going up from the hole, think about screwing your feet towards the lateral lines.
Second thing is, trying to get your abductors more involved. Just actively try to push it hard so that your knees stay open. If you have them, you can also use bands as resistance to queue you to use your abductors more.

Put 2 and 2 together and your squat should look much better.

Since you're training motor patterns, it's a lot more about repetition than weight. Focus on getting it right, and eventually it just becomes natural.

Hope this helps you solve the issue!

>it's a Boris gives me retarded arbitrary rep counts episode

What are you lads training today

>Just actively try to push it hard so that your knees stay open
kek
literally try harder

Well, you have to do the feet screwing as well kek.

Are you sure that order of reps is right? I don't remember it being like that.

JUST A REMINDER THAT BLUESHOES IS DESTROYING PLG
THATS RIGHT:
BLUE SHOES IS DESTROYING PLG
BLUESHOES IS DESTROYING PLG
BLUE SHIES 8A DWSTROYING 9LG

AND BLUE SHOES IS DESTROYING PLG

HE WANTED TO DESTROY OWG

HE DID

HES TRYING TO DESTEOY PLG
AND HE IS RIGHT NOW

HE IS TRYING TO MAKE EVERY THREAD ABOUT HIM

ONCE HE DESTROYS OWG AND PLG, HE IS GOING TO deaATROY ALL OF FIT AND 4XHAN

HE MAY EVEN BE DESTROYING OTHER BOARDS AS WE SPEAK

REMEMBER TO DESTROY BLUESHOES BEFORE HE DESTROYS US

IGNORE BLUESHOE POST
BLOCK BLUESHIES POST

DONT LET HIM GET TO YOU

DONT READ HIS DRIVEL

WE NEED TO KEEP OWG ALIVE

AND JUST REMEMBWR THAT TRAPPY CHAN IS OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR, AND IS BLUESHOES WORST ENEMY

SHE WILL PROTECT US

a mod on his forum says you can do alternating sets of 5 and 8 on those days if you want a harder session

tfw no qt gf

>wake up
>it still hasn't got any better

ive got doms from squats 2 days ago
>didnt squat for months (injury)
should i just start sheiko anyway lol

U tell me

It hasn't been changed since I downloaded it. So yes I'm sure unless the original file is wrong

I'll do it as written, but that's an interesting idea

my knees hurt now

it's never gonna lad

What do you mean by screwing your feet towards the lateral lines?

96 (ninety six) kg this morning. I'm gonna keep dieting down to 90~ and then stay at a small surplus and/or maintenance til my meet on April 1st.

hopefully I don't fuck it up and end up 93.5kg

Danke, I will try implementation of bands and screwing.

I actually don't have one atm.

fuck off with your retarded-ass explanation

the transfaggot is right tho, you just need to not let your knees cave. if you feel them going in, and you can't keep them out, just fail the rep.
That way you're not practicing faulty reps.

>April 1st.
what a day
i remember it well

Just dropping off a little tip for The Press which might be of use to some people here - throughout the movement, be aware of your mid foot and feet in general. Doing so will greatly help balance during reps and cut down on wasted energy by not moving the bar perfectly vertically. It will also make you more aware of your whole body in general since the visualisation point is as far as can be from the direction of movement of the bar.

Helps me a hell of a lot.

thanks but i havent done it in years

>reading proposal up and down to make a powerpoint
>the fucking state of it
The questioning post-presentation won't be a bloody good time at all.

And slooooow reps.
Lean af fAm.

moving the bar horizontally doesn't really cost energy, mate.
gravity forces are perpendicular to the floor...

>screwing

How did the tinder date go.

If the bar starts to drift horizontally you need to do work to bring it back

No offence but your understanding is poor. Do you lift?

damn everyone is an asshole

Is this a funny joke

you don't need to bring it back as long as it stays somewhere over your foot.

also, you move the bar horizontally mostly with your lower body, so it doesn't really take any work from your front delts.

no. people are always meming about vertical bar path nonsense, whereas in reality it hardly matters.

You CAN'T be serious

Nope, you're good. I thought yours was one of the medium programs, which have a different order (3-7-4-6-2).
It's just that the day is basically the same, so I recognized it erroneously.

Screw them by pointing your toes out.
You can see that if you screw them in, it basically brings your knee in as well. This is a simplified explanation of what causes the valgus during the squat (tibialis acts causing inversion).
So by screwing out, you prevent your tibialis and the forces to affect your feet and thus your knee.

semi-serious.

bar all-over the place is bad, yeah.
bar over mid-foot throughout the lift is good, yeah.
but a vertical bar path isn't good because of "wasted energy", it's good because it allows for proper positioning (so you can transfer the most amount of force into the bar).

do you seriously think the tibialis anterior is what causes valgus?

you don't think the MASSIVELY stronger adductors cause it?

ffs

Yep, it was a breakthrough study that showed us.

They compared activity of the adductors in cases of valgus and no valgus, and they were literally the same levels.

They also compared the tibialis activity, and voila, tibialis had a fuckton more activity in the cases where valgus occurred.

From that, it was simply a question of reanalysing all the biomechanics and seeing if you can actually explain the valgus with the tibialis.
Turns out yeah you can.

Crazy how something so small can cause the entire machinery to go bonkers.

i don't care about your explanation.

post the study.

>They compared activity of the adductors in cases of valgus and no valgus, and they were literally the same levels.
34% higher in this one, tho. Participants did an overhead squat, for the record.

34% is a shitton, damn.

The researchers still point to the ankle and calves as the culprit of valgus, tho.

Yes, I reread the study and I misremembered a few things.
It was gluteal activation that stayed the same.

Trappy if I hate hate HATE deadlifts and I like squatting and I want to replace all deadlifts in the sheiko I'm doing with SSB squats how should I do it? I'm thinking kind of roll with it almost like a straight up super substitution. Like for example of sheiko has me deadlifting 3 doubles at 85%, do 3 moderately hard doubles with the SSB. Or should I make it like just a straight 5x5 and taper it down closer to the competition?

My plan is to deadlift only on skills test, then about 10 days out work up to what I think my opener will be, then at the competition.

>ywn alex

also thanks for posting the source, instead of shitposting/misremembering like a trans.

i need reasons to not kill myself thanks

Are you the guy who used to spam threads lying about being a twink top who fucked muscular guys?

no

well at least you're not that faggot, there's one reason

>like a trans
No reason not to be civil now, is there?
You'll regret it.

that's actually me being as civil as I can.

Try pushing boulders up hills

>one must imagine Isley happy

no

enjoying training > progressing
I'd rather enjoy training and have one lift not progress or go down 10lbs than hate a third of my training days and have it increase 10lbs in 3 months.

also historically the best thing I've ever done for my deadlift if SSB squats with 0 deadlifting. for a few months. took 3 months and did exclusively SSB squats on a 5x5 LP for a while and did a 30lb PR on like my second deadlift workout after. not that I expect this to repeat, I don't, but in my own experience there is validity in it.

lmao my explanation is actually nonsense in many places.

Guess I'm a bit rusty and should reread some things before talking about them again.

Still, the feet screwing does help because it acts as a force for external rotation.

So you want the lowbar and SSB squats to drive the deadlift progression?
Because the SSB is a very quad dominant variation, and while the lowbar does involve more hip extensor action, it's still a quad dominant lift like every squat.

And the deadlift is a very hip dominant lift, hamstrings and glutes.
Getting very strong quads from squats will only help your deadlift so far (though SSBs will strengthen your spinal erectors a lot, which helps for deadlifting). And while your hip extensors should still get stronger, you'll spend so long without floor pulling that when you do pull it's gonna feel worse than ever.

If you wanna do SSB, I'd recommend just copy the planning from some squat days, and use the %s, and paste it over the deadlift planning.

However, if I was acting as your coach, I wouldn't let you sub deadlifts for SSB squats. I don't see that working well besides the fact that you're probably gonna have more fun... until the competition comes.

Unless you have another plan?
I mean, you can add SSBs in the program without having to stop deadlifting. And I know you want to stop deadlifting, but if your plan is to compete on all three lifts you have to train the three lifts.
What you can do is perhaps a compromise? Lower the frequency or volume of deadlifts and do SSBs

Only on Veeky Forums you get insulted for bringing in new knowledge and solutions.
Classic.

Also it takes 5 seconds to find the study on google.

I get it that you naturally feel more attracted to a fatherly figure, and me being something that goes against your conservative values makes you be naturally more aggressive towards me. But let's try and not be animals here.

But this is just me, ofc. You're the one who knows what's best for you, and have the experience with yourself.

So in the end, I'd say follow your guts. If it turns out to be the wrong decision, you really wouldn't have lost much time at all - and you still had fun.

Hopefully saying this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass later on kekkkk

On a similar topic trappy, I really hate regular squats and have weak spinal erectors. After the competition I'm doing in 6-7 weeks, would it be okay to train for a while with just SSB squats and deadlifts instead of normal low bar squats?

SSB is harder on the spinal erectors...

Will you be the father I never had?

>And the deadlift is a very hip dominant lift, hamstrings and glutes.
Stop posting so much misinformation, goddamnit.

I'd say so, yeah. Just do a few sets of lowbar now and then to keep the motor patterns fresh.

I'd probably also increase the deadlift volume a tiny bit.

No sean, bugger off.
And I won't be your mom either.

It is though.

If you're gonna come with bold claims, back them up.

Yeah, that's the point. To strengthen them.

Okay, cool. I might actually try doing this for 3+ months after my meet just to see how it goes. Should I deadlift twice a week if I plan on doing that?

>I get it that you naturally feel more attracted to a fatherly figure, and
Is there any chance you were posting in the boardie b8 thread the other day lol

Good night lads.
>03:40 am
feck

Maybeeee, uh, work a bit on that?
Well if you care so little for the deadlift, then sure.
That period you talk about probably sorted out some relative weakness, so unless that happens again I rather doubt you'll see the same improvement, or any improvement at all.

Also, what Trapp said. You really shouldn't avoid the movement entirely.

Imo you should always deadlift at least twice a week.

I think it might go well for you. SSB squats are probably gonna fix you gud... or kill you.

>always deadlift at least twice a week

But muh 3 day sheiko

Should I seriously be adding deadlifts to that?

>bold claims
You're the one making claims all the time.
Anyway, the adductor magni are the most important hip extensors in squats and deadlifts. Knee to hip extension ratio is lower in deadlifts, yes.

Assuming you keep a straight back, the quads still play a vital role in the first half of the lift, which is also the hardest part of the lift. Sticking point is pretty much always before the bar passes the knees (assuming straight back).
Hamstrings aren't as important as adductor magni in the first half, because they oppose quads while the adductor magni don't.
Glutes aren't as important in the first half, because their hip extensor moment is relatively low in high hip flexion.

>Yeah, that's the point. To strengthen them.
Oh, haha, good then.
I'm not used to seeing people attack their weakpoints instead of running from them.

>Maybeeee, uh, work a bit on that?
you're right, i should blame him for his shitty personality and shitposting, and not his transshit.
next time i'll call him a regular faggot.
better?

>So you want the lowbar and SSB squats to drive the deadlift progression?
yes mostly it just that I really, really dislike deadlifting and I've had success in driving it with SSB in the past so I figured what the heck
>Because the SSB is a very quad dominant variation
ye it's great right
>If you wanna do SSB, I'd recommend just copy the planning from some squat days, and use the %s, and paste it over the deadlift planning.
so just pick something that I think might be a reasonable max and plug that in and roll with it? did I read that right or nah
>However, if I was acting as your coach, I wouldn't let you sub deadlifts for SSB squats
good thing you're not then :)
>I mean, you can add SSBs in the program without having to stop deadlifting
no it's that I GET to stop deadlifting
>but if your plan is to compete on all three lifts you have to train the three lifts
LALALALALALA
>What you can do is perhaps a compromise? Lower the frequency or volume of deadlifts and do SSBs
maybe I'll deadlift like every other week or something

it's really just that having fun and not hating a third of my training days is more important to me than progressing a lift that I hate maybe like 10 lbs in 3 months.

ty my friend

I don't expect a ton of improvement tBh. if my deadlift even stays the same I'll be happy. really my only goal for this training cycle is to get my squat back to where it was a few months ago. bench improvement would be cool but even that is a secondary goal at this point

What I used to do is just substitute the good mornings on the squat days for either RDLs or touch and go Deadlifts.

Here's pic related if you want to have a good read on deadlifts.

And here if you wanna learn how the hamstrings actually work.

I just showed you why your claims are shit, and you link me a screenshot of your shitposting?

Holy shit, dude, that's some next-level assholery.

holy shit, please fuck off with that garbage.

No, almost everything you said is wrong or only partially right.

I linked you something that will explain the why's and how's.

If you really care about learning, then read.

This is my favorite picture.

Dude, you're delusional.
I've already read those shitposts earlier, and even explained to you how they're wrong, and how you're misinterpreting and misapplying a lot of things.

And instead you just keep shitposting here.
Really nobody else to point out your mistakes, because nobody in /plg/ actually knows anything about kinesiology.

I'll give you one thing though, if this is your intention, you're a really good troll.

>mf
>really my only goal for this training cycle is to get my squat back to where it was a few months ago.
Well that justifies your case better. You really should still have some form of deadlifting to not lose the movement and coordination.
Please make sure increasing the amount of squatting doesn't fire back at you.

How good is sheiko for aesthetics/building mass?

youtube.com/watch?v=vimZj8HW0Kg

Oh this trappy-user shit's heating up.

I'm excited to see where this goes. It's like the old /rg/s. Question now who is gonna devolve into spewing complete ad hom first.

>so just pick something that I think might be a reasonable max

Yeah, or test your max. Whatever you think is safer haha.
But I'd recommend not using the %s and plans of the deadlifts for SSBs, and instead copy some of the squat stuff to the deadlift days and doing SSBs with those.

>maybe I'll deadlift like every other week or something

That would be good.

>it's really just that having fun and not hating a third of my training days is more important to me than progressing a lift that I hate maybe like 10 lbs in 3 months.

Then go for it.
It's all about having fun, in the end. And it's not like you're committing to do this for the rest of your life. You can still change your training in the future, if it becomes needed.

I could spend half an hour here writing you a lengthy explanation of everything that's wrong with your post.

But you don't wanna learn. You just want to argue. I'd just be wasting my time. Time I don't have to waste.

It's not a program for building aesthetics...
It has a llot of volume, so you're gonna build a lot of muscle, but most of the volume is squat bench and deadlift. Don't expect to build "aesthetics" just from those three lifts.