QTDDTOT

Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Last thread
I'm Asian and mildly lactose intolerant (I don't get full on diarrhea but I get enormously gassy and my routine shit comes maybe an hour earlier than usual). Am I still fully absorbing the protein?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IKc6hwPvsHg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Obviously not, when transit time is hastened you lose time for digestion

You can either
A) invest in lactaid and other lactose enzymes in which you're deficient
B) invest in non-lactose containing protein

If I miss leg day, can I do it in the morning and arms at night?

Whats with the sipping water in between sets meme?

I am a morbidly obese heroin addict and will be getting clean from Boxing Day. In previous attempts I have found that at night from 6pm onwards I suffer a deep emptiness and depression where my cravings hit hardest and I feel my worst. My plan is to fill this void with exercise, and so I've bought some equipment to start a home gym but have no idea what exercises to do. I would ideally like to be able to exhaust myself every night rather than a full body routine only 3 days a week.

I've got a power rack with incline decline bench for squats and bench press, an olympic barbell, 100kg of weights, a set of adjustable dumbbells and 5 and 10kg kettle bells.

Any ideas on what to do with them?

Can I ditch the back squat and do front squat only? Currently I do low bar on tuesday and front squat on friday.

Greyskull

repostin'

I've recently moved back in with my Nanna after living with my now ex-girlfriend for 3.5 years out of the 5 year relationship. We broke up due to my lack of drive, anger about my shitty life and anxiety/depression for the same reason. Plus being NEET for the majority of the relationship.
Now I've had this massive kick up the ass, I want to get my life on track and hopefully prove I can be a productive human and not a waste of space.

So I took the squat rack, Olympic bar, Olympic dumbbell x 2 and the ~60kg worth of weights that we bought ages ago that I never got around to using, and have owned the Starting Strength book for years now barely having read it.
So now I'm keen to actually get stuck into proper weight lifting and bike riding, I'm about 5'8 and ~75kgs (I have no scales) and am looking to gain muscle mass / strength but lose the excess fat I've gained from being sedentary for so long, when I started the relationship I was around 65kg and was a cardio fiend at the gym (wanted to get into weights but too self conscious to learn in a room full of people who know what they are doing).

So I guess what I want to know is, is SS going to be a good start for me, and if so how important is diet? Living with my Nanna it's going to be near impossible to eat proper healthy dinners as she wants to eat with me but won't want to eat chicken breast + veggies every night, but my other two meals I have absolute control over (not that I've eaten much the past week+ due to the break up sadness), and I don't drink soft drink, only water and sometimes cordial for a bit of flavour.

Other question is, is riding bike 2-3 times a week going to impact anything to do with my lifting? Like I said I want to be lean but also strong, maybe swimmers body but with a bit more bulk as I don't want to become a turbomanlet with huge body on tiny frame (pic related).

Any other advice about where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

SS is good, greyskull is better for your goals. Diet is extremely important. Eat what your nana makes but try to fill on veggies and protein (chicken, eggs, lean beef, stakes). Explain why its important you eat certain foods, shell understand.

Riding a bike is good for you, nothing bad.

Read the SS book for form advice, dont do GOMAD. Also leave fit never post here, this place is poisonous.

How does Greyskull differ from SS?

Also I'm the one who's going to be doing the majority of the cooking, but it's an electric stove top + oven which is an absolute cunt to cook anything effectively with, especially on the stove top. And my Nanna is fairly unhealthy, especially since I moved out from here 3 years ago because she never really bothered to take care of herself, she loves snacking and says she's excited to 'eat well' again, but then she'll buy packets of chips and cakes from the shop. None of which interests me at least, so there's no temptation there.

My diet roughly so far consists of:

Breakfast
1 Cup of Oats + Lactose free milk (no GOMAD because I'll probably be hospitalised due to intolerance) for breakfast, maybe cup of tea
Lunch
???? (I've really struggled to be a lunch eater my whole life, or even a breakfast eater for that matter, probably the only reason I didn't turn into an absolute hambeast the past few years)

Dinner
Steamed vegies or mixed salad (no dressing) with some kind of potato (mashed/boiled) and a meat (crumbed fish, tenders, lamb chops) and water for drink.

Now I'm working out I'm probably going into calorie deficit which isn't my goal, but I've never been a big eater. I need to fix this somehow.

On GS you do rows or chins every workout.

Monday
Low bar squat 3x5
Bench Press/ Press 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Pendlay row 3x5
Incline flyes 2x10-12
Rear delt flyes 2x10-12

Wednesday
Press/ Bench Press: 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Deadlift: 1x5
Weighted Chin: 2 x 6-8
Lateral raises 2x10-12
Curl variant 2x10-12

Friday
Low bar squat 3x5
Bench Press/Press: 2 x 5, 1 x 5+
Pendlay row 3x5
Incline flyes 2x10-12
Rear delt flyes 2x10-12

Thats one version of GS.

Thats not enough protein. Try to eat some meat/tuna/eggs for lunch. Dont eat tuna everyday or youll get mercury poisoning. Peanut butter is easy calories if you need them.

I found this relating to Greyskull and it does look a lot more well rounded (and fun) than SS.

This is my first week lifting and I've only been doing the barbell to get familiarised with the motions (my front thighs are feeling it even with no weight on the bar, either I fucked up somewhere or it's just DOMS), so I think I'll finish up with SS this week and start this Greyskull routine next week. Do I need to start with the barbell again or do I need to find some kind of comfortable weight to start at? It doesn't say anything about that on the picture outside of how much to add each workout (going to need to buy more weight disks for sure).

And yeah my diet is very lacking, I'm going to be picking up 2 bags of protein this weekend and start adding a shake to my diet on top of having a proper lunch. Is bread the devil though? I love wholemeal bread and would be more than happy to have various sandwiches for lunch, especially as I'll be working full time soon so I'll need something relatively easy to make up the day before.

I ended up catching a flu and missing my workout.

Pic related is my routine. I missed the lower power day, and may have to take tomorrow off as well.

Wut do?

When it says alternating does it mean alternating between the two exercises during that session or doing the opposite exercise in the next session?

Don't do the accessories.

Who are ya? What are you going here?

Alternating isn't "superset."

Elbows recently started hurting whenever im halfway through a set of pushups, pain very tolerable but could lead to something worse, what do

Are you using this?

How do I figure out how much I should lift? Just go straight for the heaviest I can lift or something thats just a bit of a challenge?

If it's the first time that you do an exercise be conservative. Go for a weight that you can do as many reps as you should do but not going to failure on the first set.

alright, cool. thanks.

When I do pullovers, should I rest my entire back on the bench or just the upper part as I have seen some dudes doing?

Full body engaged! But I don't see much of a problem. Just be sure to get some rest in afterwards

What's wrong with back squatting?

now I've seen it all, a fat junkie

How come generally after deadlifting, if I don't wear a belt I can get sore in my hamstrings and some lower back, whereas if I wear a belt my entire back is sore. Lower back, erectors, traps, rhomboids basically everything but the lats.

What's the lowest possible amount of kcals I am allowed to eat without losing all my muscles?

That is not how it works. Go back to the sticky and read about cutting.

So I can eat nothing and won't lose muscles as long as I work out?

Oh, it's bait. I'm sorry I replied.

That's not me.

Sticky doesn't answer this question.

How do you recognize someone that uses anabolic?

How do I stop feeling the weight is more prominent on one side? This only happens when I squat.

Any tips or cues to avoid this?

Being your lower back the limiting factor, when using a belt you take off of your back some of the weight, so you can get the rest of the muscles worked. If you don't use it, the main muscles get sore before and the secondary can't get enough.

They have smaller than average balls.

>fat monstrosity who eats away his depression

Went to a psychiatrist and am on Lexapro
2 weeks later, I've lost over 10 pounds just from not eating. Although I'm getting in 500 calories a day, I don't feel starved or malnourished.

I guess where I'm getting at is, are anti anxiety/depression meds okay to use for weight loss? Anyone have similar stories?

Giant traps and lats, stretch marks, bloated belly.

There are some vidoes and articles on this. Generally they mentioned that there's a size limit with wrists as comparable ratio.

My biceps are really uneven, is it worth limiting my right bicep gains so my left can catch up or should I just keep working both as hard as I can

Because you don't have any reading comprehension.

It depends.

A huge 120kg giant will lose a lot of mass if they eat 1500 calories a day. Whereas a small guy at 60kg can manage on that.

Your body uses a base amount of energy per day, stress and activities increases the amount of energy needed to sustain.

If I can keep doing an exercise at the same intensity should I just keep doing sets of it?

e.g. I can do 3-4 chinups, rest for a minute, do another set of 3-4 chinups, I can like keep going forever.

Yesterday I did 7 sets of 3-4 chinups without any problems at all. Would it make a difference if I did 10, 20, 30 etc sets of chinups, as long as I am doing them properly?

I dont know why, but I have no problem doing like 3 or 4 chinups, but after that I just stall.

Why do you even answer if you cannot help me out.

>it depends

fuck you

Not exactly, if you want to make progress you need to .. well progress. I'm not saying doing a ton of 3-4 chinups wont do anything if you do enough sets of them, but you are much better off progressing them somehow.

Do 5, rest 2 mins, do 6, rest 3 mins, do 7 then next time simply aim for 3 sets of 8 or 10.

Or, add weight and do 3-4, add more weight do 3-4, add more weight do 3-4.

Holy shit you are beyond salvation dude.

There is not a single person in this goddamn universe that could answer your question when you don't give any kind of information to work with. Height, weight, exercise density, diet. There are many factors to this and I've already told you the fucking sticky ACTUALLY DOES explain this but you are too dumb to do anything but stare at it without reading.

Well the problem that I cant do more than 3-4 even though it is my first set, so it is not like an option to rest longer to be able to do more.

I will however attempt with added weight to see if I can still do 3-4 of them.

Bulking for 6 months now. In the past 3-4 days I started feeling bad: always full amd I feel like puking for hours after finishing a meal (5 meals/day so all day puke stimulus). I didnt recently increase my caloric intake. What could it be? What do?

Do any of you guys have different calorie goals for the weekend vs weekdays?

I eat less during the week, but then pig out a bit more during the weekend.

Just keep trying for that 5th chinup dude. Trying to lift within your current capabilities isn't how strength training works.

user is right, as your LBM goes up, so does your BMR so asking us how many calories you can eat without at least giving us your weight is just retarded

if you just do more sets you're not really progressing, progression should be a major staple in your workout routine

they will catch up eventually, just stop doing bicep curls when your left one gives out even if you could still do some with your right one

honestly I'd stop eating that little, eventually you will crash
That little calories is key for losing muscle eventually as well

I dont think you ever will, squats still feel like right side is lighter even though i'm in the middle of the barbell

it doesn't matter

it's a meme, you dont have to sip water in between sets

honestly, you can never be sure, I know some natty guys who are massive and I know roided guys who are smaller than me

could be you just have a stomach virus. also what are you eating?

I dont do this on purpose but it tends to happen since the senpai comes over in the weekend to catch up so we make large meals, try to limit this unless you lift in the weekends as well

>find some kind of comfortable weight to start a
Do this

Breads fine if you can "afford" the calories. Its not that filling vs the amount of calories it has.

Is there anything other than a ridiculously extra strength antiperspirant that I could use to help with armpit sweat? I can take a shower, put on antiperspirant and a t-shirt, and in 15 minutes have the starts of sweat stains under my arms. The only thing I ever used that kept me totally dry was that certain-dri stuff, but it can't be good for regular use either I'd imagine.
I've even tried no antiperspirant but I've always been very self-conscious about being smelly.

Week one do bench and week two do ohp

Might be worth going to the doctor for a checkup then.
I eat the usual stuff:
Brown rice and bread, veggies, fruits, oats, chicken, turkey, cob, salmon, eggs lean beef nuts etc

Are you sure you're centering yourself under the bar? Get under it, unrack it, and if it doesn't feel sturdy, put it back and try again.

nope, some people just sweat more than others bro, I am the same way
I just change shirts every day (sometimes a few times a day) and use antiperspirant

if your diet hasnt changed or none of your habits have, it won't be something you did so yeah get some blood work maybe

Kinda thought so. My dad is the same way. Thanks user.

When should you switch from linear progression to something else?

When you stop progressing, switch programs.

I have a hard time believing then you do 3-4 with perfect/good form then you can't do a 5th. If however, for some reason then you need to do 3/4 like normal and then (no rest) do another 3-4 "negatives" until you can do a 5th, then do 3-4 more negatives until you can do a 6th, etc.

I'm guessing that I am since I tried to move a little bit to the opposite side to "balance it out" but I was actually off balance when I did it.

But I am in a shitty gym (college) and I can't check if I am dead center or not because no mirrors and I am too autistic to ask for help and go to the gym when nobody is around.

>I dont think you ever will, squats still feel like right side is lighter even though i'm in the middle of the barbell
this is also my case. wtf is going on? maybe uneven floors or legs?

sprinting before running or running before sprinting on cardio days?

Taking meds to lose weight is probably healthier than being fat, but you should learn how to cut without meds if u wanna get fit

What exercise can I do to replace OHP? I can't do overhead pressing movements because of injury.

I've been doing lateral raises and front raises for shoulders.

does this look like a decent warmup progression?

8x20
5x42.5
5x50
4x55
3x62.5
4x5x65

5x60
4x80
3x90
2x95
2x100
2x5x105

bench and deadlift respectively, weights are in kg

I didnt yet reach 1/2/3/4, but I'm having huge problem and fail a lot. People told me to eat more but Im already gaining 1lb/week or more constanly and I dont wanna gain more fat than muscle. Do you think I should switch?

In addition to that do exercises the work the chest and tris

lifts, how long lifting, bodyweight?

can somebody provide link to a 3600-4000 calories/day mealplan?
Need some inspo.

How do I avoid brushing my dick when doing barbell shrugs?

When I was getting fat, I was eating 2x king size snickers, 2x little debbie variety snacks (brownies, nutty bars), 2x 32oz fountain sodas, a grab bag of chips, then I'd order pizza for dinner, and have a few cans of soda before making 3-4 bowls of cereal before I went to bed.

already doing bench. injury also prevents me from doing dips with proper depth

when I'm making eggs, I grab a stick of butter and use it like a crayon to make my pan not as sticky, do I need to record that with my calorie intake, or is it not that important?

I also add a pinch of salt & pep, but never add it into the equation when counting calories.

wher r de protons

1/1.7/2.5/3.1 1RM, 6 months lifting. Gone from 65 kg to 77 kg in this period of time

It's too much volume for me. For bp do 20xbar and 10x50℅ and then do 3 working sets. For dl you could do 8x1pl8, 5x1.5pl8 and then 3x1 at your working weight that seeing that you do 2x5 whit 105kg you are doing it wrong, go for a weight that you can do just 1 or 2 reps and do two sets of them. That weight should be 120kg or so currently.

thats mindless eating of junk, thats not a meal plan for a decent bulk

butter is ~80% fat and you're probably using 5-10 grams of it (try weighing it before and after if you have a scale sdensitive enough), so you're looking at ~60 calories. record it ifyou're on a tight cunt, forget about it if you're bulking

exactly zero calories in salt; and pepper (and spices in general) are calorie-dense being extremely low in water content, but you're using way less than one gram per serving, so you can completely disregard that

Is IIFYM a meme ?
Like if i eat almost all of my proteins in my noon meal and some in the afternoon, will i be okay if i take enough of them ?

By linear progression are you saying you've been doing SS/GSLP/SL?

Don't wear loose boxers

Yes, you'll be fine.

Yes. Veeky Forums sticky's gslp to be exact.

Where to buy sweatpants to lift/jog in?

Ok, I would do an early intermediate/late novice program like Candito's Linear program. You can probably progress on it for 3-6 months before needing more advanced programming.

Thank you brother. Will look it up.

Reposting,, since i got no replies.
Former fatass here. I was on cut since i started lifting. Been doing modified starting strength with pendlay rows instead of power cleans. Now that most of my lifts have stalled (except for DL which is still slowly increasing ), i am thinking about switching to intermediate, but i dont know if i am intermediate yet. I'm 175 cm 64,5 kg and my stats (5RM) are:
SQ 110 kg
BP 72 kg
OHP 55 kg
DL 141 kg
Now my question is, should i switch to intermediate program? If yes, which one? I was
considering Texas Method. Also should i bulk? I'm pretty skinny but still have bellyfat.

Based on height/weight you sound skinny, maybe skinnyfat but still relative. As for being intermediate or not if you are no longer able to make gains and you have done deloads then it may be time to switch. There is not a real hard and fast "rule" (despite what Veeky Forums might say) on what lifts qualify you to be intermediate.

Intermediate is more about no longer making linear gains, having a good strength base, comfortable with the movements and still looking to progress but understand progress will be slow. I wouldn't get caught up on to much on the transition from beginner to intermediate. If you have been lifting consistently for awhile now then you likely are intermediate and the ratio for most of your lifts to your weight are pretty good.

As for "intermediate" programs to switch to its really about what your goals are. TM is going to have you continuing to make strength based goals. A program like PHUL might be nice as it gives you that strength and a little more hypertrophy but does require 4 days a week. A program like PHAT requires 5 days but allows you deliver more of your physique that might be being missed by only doing compound lifts (although I would say PHAT volume is alot to just jump into if your coming from doing just your standard 3x a week SS).

So to really give a recommendation it depends on...Your goals? How many days a week can you train? How long can your sessions be?

Finally as for bulking, only bulk if you are okay with committing the next 6-8 months on a slow bulk. If you can't and only want to do like a 8-10 week bulk, then keep cutting or finding your maintenance until your ready to bulk for a long period of time slowly.

As you leave the beginner stages of lifting muscle gains are slower and doing "mini" bulks and "mini cuts" will just leave you at exactly the same place you were when you started. Your physique will simply look the same so only do it if your willing to do it for a long period of time.

use dumbbells or find the machine that lets you hold weight on sides...please tell me you're doing shrugs correctly instead of ZEROOOO reps

I also wanted to add if you have been cutting and on SS for the duration of your cut I would recommend moving to maintenance for 4-8 weeks at least and see if you can grind out a little more linear progress.

Understand that cutting is going to really hurt your strength gains so you should if you have stalled hard enough to think about switching programs to at least find your maintenance and stay on the program a bit longer to squeeze out all the gains you can. You will never see a bigger strength increase to your base then when your a "beginner" so don't be too in a hurry to leave it behind.

I'm getting my secret santa a big tub of protein powder. What brand is recommended?

Thanks. Actually i started lifting 1,5 year ago, and am doing SS since almost a year. Lost 40 kg in process. Actually my bench has gone down at the highest point it was 77 kg and my OHP was highest 57kg. But my Squat and deadlift progressed. I started stalling somewhere like few months ago as i was cutting at 1500kc, only recently i switched to 1800kc. Now i wanted to try reverse diet by adding 100kc weekly and i thought that maybe i would try slow bulk at 200/300kc. My point is i dont know if when i pass over my maintenance calories i should start Texas Method (my primary goal is strength but, i guess with strength comes looks aswell) I will try to post some pics of my body if that helps.

I have minimal degenerative changes in my right si joint in my hip causing my hip alignment and back pain. My pt said they could put it back into place after a while. Is this true or bs

What's a good weight lifting routine for cutting/weight loss in general? I tried SS last time but didn't feel like it didn't do much since I couldn't increase on any of the lifts during a cut. I do cardio on top but want to keep lifting as well.

Probably something cheaper that works just as well, but I use this.

low rep + low calorie

You can post pictures if you want but not sure it would really change my recommendation. If you count your macros it should be pretty easy to find your maintaince. Just weigh yourself everyday at the same time, take an average, and every week, slowly add 100-200 calories until your weight is virtually the same for all 7 days or a 2 week period and you are pretty much at your maintenance.

Keep in mind though when coming off a long weight loss period you will likely be a bit lower then you will be after your body readjusts to higher calories so you may be able to increase it further by 100-200 calories after 3-4 weeks of eating at maintenance. Also understand if you were on a low carb style diet (or lower then usual) you may add a little bit of immediate weight from water as you reintroduce those.

With that being said, TM is a great minimalist program but I find it to be (IMO) to bare bones. When you start as a novice lifter its easy to focus on those compound lifts and ignore everything else because you don't have any real base for strength. As you approach your current max strength you reach a point where there are other factors that might hold you back. Obvious we talked about diet being one of those, but other muscle groups that are not worked directly will lag behind. Certain muscle groups respond better to higher volume (lateral head of shoulder comes to mind as an example) so for a more balance physique even for strength progression you may wish to add some volume to TM if your switching to that exclusively.

I'm having some real issues advancing with my OHP. I believe it's because of mobility issues since all my other lifts are moving along steadily. Youtube brought me to the stretch involving moving the broomstick over your head and it turns out i have some MASSIVE flexibility issues doing that. Should I be doing that stretch? How long should I do it for? Should it be done daily/more?

Bump please

I am of the opinion there is no "best" or even 'great' cutting routine. If you lifted before you started to cut then you should keep doing your routine. If you are just adding weight training and have never lifted before something like SS is recommended because you are not going to really gain much in the way of muscle during a cut, all your trying to do is to maintain what muscle mass you have by signaling to your body "Hey keep this muscle see we are lifting heavy shit" (IE: use it or lose it philosophy).

Additionally due to rest times and things weight lifting doesn't burn as many calories as you might suspect. Cutting is 80% diet, 20% everything else. So focus on that more then anything.

Likely you have both shoulder and upper back flexibility issues. Likely you also have rounded shoulders and/or forward head posture. I would recommend the "shoulder dislocates" 2-3 times a day.

Alan Thrall has a descent video on it and other ones you may wish to check out.

youtube.com/watch?v=IKc6hwPvsHg