What was your first time at the gym like?

What was your first time at the gym like?

Scary as shit, was like 16 yr old.
Now 27 and its comfy as fuck

>Immediately attempted to bench 80 kg
>Pass out on the way out
>mfw

Was mildly confused and had the intention to do ICF. Didn't really knew about the order of exercises so I just started with the first thing I recognized which was tricep pushdowns. Eventually I started doing bench with my gymbro and some dude walked up and said that we're doing it wrong and that we have to put on as much weight as we can do and then make forced reps with the other dude pulling. It took a couple of weeks to really get into it and understand what the fuck I was doing at the gym

Also he gave some dietary advice, which was eat everything you see and eat shitloads

>start doing bicep curls
>football coach comes in and starts yelling "SQUAT, BENCH PRESS, POWER CLEANS, SQUAT, BENCH PRESS, POWER CLEANS" over and over
>get scared and leave

I walked past the lifting area straight to the cardio area beacuse I was intimidated

After some time I realized that most people in the lifting area are fucking DYELs

This is my first ever greentext
>Go to gym
>Scared shitless
>Cannot find the locker room
>Consider bailing out, decide to go in anyway
>Only squat rack occupied, fuck, what am I supposed to do now
>Bench press vacant, go there
>One set with the bar, awkward as fuck
>Load 5kg per side and put on clips
>Do one set
>Sit, look around, start to relax when I notice that no one is paying any attention to me
>Do 4 more sets with that weight (35kg, clips were 2.5kg each)
>Go over to the power rack that is now vacant
>Squats, warmup with the bar, can't remember what my working weights were, maybe 40kg?
>After three sets start to look around wondering where I'm supposed to do the rows
>Do my 4th set
>Still no idea where to do the rows
>5th set
>No idea where to do the rows, decide to do OHP instead
>Do 5 sets of OHP, go back to get dressed, go home, feel good that I finally did it.

That was 2 years ago, I'm happy I did it.

I dont remember, I was already excited for day 2

OP here, I'm going to tgo for the first time today. Have hardly any fitness knowledge, just wathced a couple mark rippetoe videos on youtube. Wish me luck.

Trips for the luck, even if you fuck something up it's not going to matter next week, let alone next year, just enjoy it, we were all there at one point in time

Hahaha all of you autists here are hilarious I walked in like a badass motherfucker bro. I already knew I was the biggest gai there without even stepping into the gym. I walked straight up to chad and told him that he was on my machine and that my name was on it and shit then i did huge weight and afterwards I fucked his bitch and walked straight up to the biggest gai there and asked him for his cycle bruh and then after that i did some leg presses like who tf does squats and i walked out the gym and went to mcdonalds for some gains bruh

I don't know I haven't gone yet.

Too afraid to go by myself but all my friends keep stalling.

(I've been doing bodyweight fitness for 2 years to avoid having to go to the gym this has become somewhat of a complex for me)

Leave

why

It was freshman year of college and all I remember is being embarrassed by how little weight I was doing (was an athlete in high school and assumed I was strong). I couldn't do one dip and I remember not being able to incline bench 95lbs.

4 years later I was one of the strongest dudes at my college gym and was getting mires often.

You are not a man return your balls and leave

im working on it user

Freshman year high-school. Track coach keeps us mainly free weights and bench press. Cares more about reps for newbies than anything else.

Fuck this triggered me. Ive been going to gym's for 10+ years and I've never been inclined to tell some clearly noobs some crazy bioscience bullshit

Had crippling social anxiety due to being auschwitz-tier, stepping into the gym for the first time took a lot of courage, I was petrified. Owner showed me around the gym and taught me how to bench, deadlift and squat, with the empty bar. Even with the empty bar, I remember feeling hardcore DOMS for a whole week after. For the first year, I only went during night time to avoid people. Now I can go at any time or do any other activity outside on my own, lifting has mostly cured my social autism and I'm thankful for it. It's cliche but facing your fears is the only way to conquer them and make you stronger.

>hungry lanklet skeleton
>all the bears and chads on weights look intimidating as fuck
>resign myself to treadmill
>run for days
>obvious old timer eventually notices me
>tells me to stop being a fag and spot him
>can barely bench 60 lbs, much less spot a dudebro going ham
>do it anyways
>learn how to get swole through his guidance
>stop giving a shit about how others perceive me and just FUCKING LIFT

Nervous as fuck, only guy who brought a towel into the gym with him (it said something in the promotional flyer), wearing a DETROIT tank top in Scotland.

>Walk around no idea what I'm doing, head over to free weights
>Pick up Dumbbells somewhere in the middle, probably 24kg
>Take them back to bench, attempt to curl, fail, walk back over and put 24s down
>Pick up 20kg dumbbells, walk over to bench, attempt to curl, fail, walk back over and put 20kgs back
>Pick up 18kg dumbbells, walk over to bench, attempt to curl, fail, walk back over and put 18kgs back
>Repeat 14kg
>Repeat 12kg..
>Barely manage to curl 10kg which is the smallest dumbbells they had
>Put it back, walk away thinking everyone is laughing at me (probably right thinking back)

>Come in the next day and curl 10kg
>Add stupid shit like tricep extensions and lunges over the next couple weeks
>2-3 months later finally add in a bench press

>11 months later and I'm squatting 150kg, benching 70kg, OHP 40kg
Still can't curl more than 18kg but at least I'm strong

>literally me
And I'm still too much of a pussy to do it

Kinda like this Jason Blaha post...

>clips were 2.5kg each
wat

Also I've been going to gym for just short of a year and I still have no idea where the fuck I'm supposed to do rows and deadlifts

Learn to calm down and take your time. The anxiety and self consciousness are your enemy as a noob. Just remember you're the only person who cares what you're doing wrong.

God speed

just do it man, you'll feel so much better, I used to go to the gym at 5am a couple of months ago because my lifts were a joke (couldn't ohp/bench/squat the bar) but I go at normal times now because i realise that the only way to get used to a certain environment is to put yourself in it and feel uncomfortable, you'll look back and laugh at your former self, you only get to laugh at yourself if you take that fucking step and go lift

Too pussy to go for the first time or to keep going? It does get easier user, the mind does become more confident as the body becomes more attractive and the routine sets in it'll no longer feel like a chore but something to look forward to, we're all gonna make it. I also realize this kind of fear was really stupid, as most gym people are really chill and helpful. The only person judging you is yourself.

Now when I see a new skinny kid joining the gym, I can't help but feel proud of him and offer help if I see him struggling.

>Are not alone in the gym
>Only a short time later someone 16 to 18 years. Siimasamikääpiö arrives
>Nods a greeting and goes an evil puppet master lat pulldown
>30 kg pulling the weights quite clearly in pain
>Straight face so poor bogerface
>Moves after a few minutes the various vehkeelle
>Meanders all the equipment as a place to be one of the amusement park, it is always 10-30 kg weight> mittani_on_täyttynyt.rar
>Asked that "leaned to the weather pretty sure that should the sun be here?"
>Luihuläski looks at me confused and begins to stutter something like "mi-so .. how?"
>"Huh?"
>"How to ..?"
>"Ha !?"
>Paiskaan dumbbells on the floor and walk towards the field of Friends
>"I asked THAT WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"
>Leaves kuset your pants off suddenly
>everything_went_better_than_expected
>Has not subsequently been reflected in the type of
>Hall Culture rescued

Juuh elikkäs whether other similar experiences? Even very Eb feeling, I can not imagine how it brat at home coming thick hamburgers cheek and cries virginity ??

My dad took me when I was 17 and showed me a decent routine. However, I was so out of shape I puked halfway through.
8 years later and way too many times on and off too count I'm finally going regularly. Over the last two years I've gone from barely being able to squat 95 lbs to hitting a 415 1rm. Feels good man

It was the university gym and I had shit form so some PT on training came at me horrified and tried to fix my form.

I just got intimidated after that and went to a cheap public gym.

what the FUCK did I just read? is this a new meme? holy shit

Compound lifts and legs and leg compound lifts involving legs.

do rows and deadlifts inside the powerrack with the safeties fucked off.

This is like reading a spam blog post algorythm

>I can not imagine how it brat at home coming thick hamburgers cheek and cries virginity ??
What did he mean by this?

I always feel like doing deadlifts in the power rack is a waste and just being a dick

I just went for the first time today.

Recovering anorexiac, putting on weight.

Found a small gym close to home, can take like max 3 guys so I felt good until people started coming in. I was alone at first.

My friend told me I should do bench press, French press and military press. Get on the bench and do 5 reps with 10kg weights on. Move onto the military press, my hands give out.

Struggle to drive back home, can barely shift gears. I feel so lost and confused, I feel like I'll never get stronger.

GUYS
yesterday i gave up my gym v card and my back hurts from deadlifts
which exercizes can i continue to do?
which ones should i stop and wait for recovery?

eat a shit ton user
also do you drink whey?

I can't handle whey, I'm lactose intolerant, I get acne, blisters, gas and diarrhea from milk.

I need to find an alternative.

>went up nearest gym, generic huge franchise gym
>ask for trial day
>go to treadmill and rowing machine and use them while checking everything out
>decide to sign up
>proceed to to fuckarounditis / no routine for the following year and achieving nothing

i dont think anyone even noticed me that day, but it was a big franchise gym so most people were themselves super weak.

> get there
> do some weird shit on some machines
> go home
it was uneventful

fast forward to now and i'm doing texas method so i'm all good

protein bars, brocoli, chicken breast
there are lots of alternatives
good luck brah

Deadlifts are posterior chain- glutes, quads, lower back, a little lats and calves.

Anything upper body is safe- OHP, Bench Press, Chinups, Curls of any kind etc

Anything posterior chain can wait- Squats, leg press, lunges, rows, pulldowns, twists etc

>clips were 2.5kg each
is that a thing?

thanks a lot dude

Torille

Fish of any kind. Tuna is cheap and easy to make taste great and add calories to.
Nuts & Seeds.
Fruit.
Whole Grains.

All big on calories with plenty of nutrition.

No worries. Also worry about your form. If you're sore for more than a few hours after Deadlift you have poor form. Most common is probably related to weak hamstrings.

>nearly passed out squatting the bar for the first time
>squatted 25kg 3x5
>benched 22.5kgs 3x5
>deadlift the bar from off a piece of equipment for step ups and stuff
>deadlift 30kg 1x5

I probably looked stupid as hell but you have to start somewhere.

I was 250 pounds 5'7 and ran a km maybe, also did a few of those weird glutes leg exercises.

First time I went was July the 7th of this year, messed around with squats, the bar felt REALLY heavy on my back for the first time and I felt like I was never gonna get stronger. Also couldn't bench the bar so I didn't bench for the first couple of weeks out of embarrassment since I have no one to go to the gym with me. I just kept going though, and I advise any noobies to do the same.

Whats some good starting weights for someone who is 65kg and 178cm ?

Why do you write gay with i instead of y

Pretty normal.

Whatever you can lift with good form

Bar on everything, 40kg for the deadlift. Starting with just the bar will allow you to progress for longer.

Signed up to the gym today and am going for the first time tomorrow
Im 6'0, 62kgs pretty much dyel
Tips lads??

>tfw the fat kid you were secretly cheering on stops coming to the gym

Eat more.

Also start with the bar. Learn compounds as soon as you can, they'll push you furthest quickest.

I always imagine they've moved on to another gym or started in the military or some fit job and imagine them as a pet being released into the wild- maybe he dies, maybe that fat fuck goes on to conquer the world =')

2 years ago, started with Stronglifts, doing my squats with just the bar trying to get comfortable with the form and 2 big guys ask to work in with me. They are squatting 2pl8 which I thought was hot shit at the time. They are talking to me about form, asking me about my goals and being pretty friendly. Then when I switch to bench they give me some pointers on that as well.

I still see one of them from time to time and he always gives me the nod or sometimes says hi.

bring a towel and water bottle

nobody is looking at you and if they are they don't really care anyway

if you choose to wear earphones (not recommended on your first few workouts) take them off while deadlifting

try squatting wider if your legs are really long in proportion to the rest of your body where it's impossible to ATG without buttwink

have a big breakfast or you will fucking pass out

get a pipe or stick or some shit and practise the movements now

don't squat with a shit loaded or you'll make a mess

if there's chalk don't be afraid to use it even if you're deadlifting babyweight

leave your ego at the door

Thank you, i will watch videos on compounds tonight and have a second dinner soon

Thank you so much for the advice

why shouldn't you wear heaphones while deadlifting?

my phone gets in the way

i guess it's ok if you have a smaller music player

best story itt

I have bluetooth headphones and i still take them out while deadlifting my working sets. No idea why, no real reason why I do it.

just do them in the squat rack

It's cunts like you who ruin it for everyone else.

>go to squat in the rack
>can't because some crumb of shit is deadlifting in it

Die

My stats are a little big higher but I can barely curl 10's, wtf?

Stupidly broke my old phone while doing rows. Clip-on MP3 players cost literally one dollar on aliexpress (need a microSD card), ideal for the gym or cardio, also really small and light-weight.

It is

>evil puppet master lat pulldown
What did he mean by this?

>politely ask the guy if he can move the bar so you can squat
>he would do it but you're too autismo to communicate

>crumb of shit

lost it

also, just ask you fucking autist, 99.9% of the time they'll say sure

Excellent post

>go home
>cry virginity
mfw this is me

>go to gym after watching saving private ryan
>did nearly every mashine, 5 sets or so, horible form and way to heavy
>after coming home played rakion for 6 hours without eating and feeling like a boss and swole as fuck.
>since that day I kept on training 5days+ per week for over 6 years now

good gains?

T-thanks Google translate

Masive gains.

I learned a lot since that day, but I hella enjoyed it. Also thought that whey was a magical substance.

>Finnish

Why am I not suprised.

>"leaned to the weather pretty sure that should the sun be here?"

Fuckin smooth my dude

I was 12. My older brother took me.
I don't really remember the details. I think I just ran on the treadmill a bit and used some of the faggier machines cause I wasn't allowed to touch the free weights.

i push myself way to hard and vomit all over the place.

I was too scared to hit the squat rack, afraid of what people might think. I was seriously skinny (I'm still dyel but not as skinny as then). I just did kettle bell squats to train form and some deadlifts with the bar only.

Fucking Finnish shitposters.

put me in the screencap

I guess they are not called clips, locks maybe? The kind they use in olympic lifts, except a bit smaller.

In the 2 years I have actually realised where to do them. Apparently you haven't.

I remember the pt literally drawing out all of the free weight exercises he'd told me about like I was some sort of dip shit

I forgot to bring my pants. I had to go back home for them and return half na hour later to start my workout. Otherwise it was good experience. Was probably 20 at the time.

It was yesterday. I just sort of walked around like a retard too embarrassed to really do anything. Eventually worked up the nerve to bench and deadlift. Rounded things out with some random cable machine lifts and went home.

Going back today, wish me luck.

I could barely chest press 135. Now I do 410 naturally after 10 years.