Cardio or lifting?

Veeky Forums I need some advice. I have read the sticky before any of you start fucking saying that. To give a bit of context, I am 6'2" and weight about 255 pounds. I want to cut weight down to about 200 pounds and then start working out to convert fat into muscle down to maybe 190 pounds. The sticky says to just lift weights in general to lose weight but I always thought that cardio was the best way to lose fat. I mean some people I've been talking to on here also just told me to do cardio while others told me to lift. Which is it? I'm trying to lose a mass amount of fat before I start lifting. Your advice would be appreciated.

Pic related

Lift weights first, after a few months when you've made some noon gains then start doing cardio. If you started doing cardio now you'd be sore as fuck from trying to run with those fat legs trying to support your obese body.

Fucking brutal. Kek

Why lose all that perfect potential muscle, work it off. Don't burn it but turn all that fat into muscle! You'll be deadlifting 350, benching 150+ if you really work on it.

What a savage m8.

Wasnt really hurtful as it is the truth i guess

Because i dont want to be fucking 260 pounds of muscle

the advice is clear. why aren't you lifting yet? do it now.

Alright. Gen tips for noobs in the gym? I started lifting a while ago but i thought i looked like a complete idiot

> i thought i looked like a complete idiot
fuck what you think

read the sticky

Both, but go with slightly more cardio since you're over 250 lbs.

Start out with light to moderate cardio (elliptical or low intensity biking - avoid the treadmill as you'll get winded quickly and have your knees ready to explode - hell I'm 181 lbs and 4 miles on the treadmill still wreaks havoc on my knees).

Lift as well - the cardio will help with initial weight loss but lifting will build lean muscle mass so that you can passively burn more calories. At 255 lbs. I'd recommend cardio at a minimum of twice a week on stimulants (caffeine + yohimbine works wonders) to get an initial 10 to 20 lbs off quickly. Once you get a bit lighter and gain more stamina - work your way up slowly to the treadmill.

Of course try to increase your lifting as well, but you should mainly do machines if you're new since they tend to be safer and get your muscles more "prepared" in a sense for free weights. After a month or two you should be good for free weights.

Best of luck.

t. former fatty

fuck that, go run every day and stay below a caloric deficit. download myfitnesspal and don't cheat. it's all about what you eat, man. stop eating like shit and keep your calories low and the weight will fall off.

You fucking faggot i told you i did

It's 100% truth.

You wont be. Ideally you'll be losing weight as you're lifting.
Count calories if you're not already.

Calorie counting doesnt work because it is inaccurate and takes a lot of fucking time for people who dont make their own meals.

You are absolutely fucking retarded and should promptly never give advice ever again.
>Myfitnesspal
>Can literally scan any barcode ever for any meal
>Can literally type in "carls jr jalapeno turkey burger" and get exact calories
>If mommy makes your meals you can search "Fried chicken" or "glass of semen" and guesstimate, but always overestimate calories

I go to a local mexican food place which isn't on MFP. I just find some super high calorie burrito and use that as a placeholder.

Rich Piana is 6'1" and in the range of 300 lbs after decades of training - you shouldn't worry about becoming 260 lbs of pure muscle.

Dude, no, if he starts now, he'll have mammoth calfs that will be the envy of every skelly legger.

OP, DO BOTH, but emphasize cardio.

Work out 5 days a week, 5 days of at least 45-60mins of cardio, and 3 days of strength training. Just do the machines and you'll be fine, don't go too crazy with trying things you're unsure about until you've been working out for a couple of months.

Waiting until you get to 200pounds to start lifting will be a complete waste of time, if you start now, by the time you get to 200 pounds, you COULD be tanked.

>calorie counting doesnt work
is this bait? or are you ACTUALLY on the autism spectrum?

Fag

How do people develop these mindsets? Clearly this guy is ignorant of being Veeky Forums, losing weight, strength training, etc, but he still comes off as if he knows what will happen if he lifts weight.

We're all trying to inform you that you're misinformed and unknowledgeable on training and losing weight. You won't be 260 pounds of muscle, someone with your body will be able to lose fat and gain muscle for at least the first 4-6 months of training. So do both, research strength training, fat loss, etc, but most importantly, just START TODAY

Intermediate fasting my dude

Are you fucking stupid?

More people would be in your situation if getting to 260 lbs of muscle was that easy

You can do both.

>tfw fatass when growing up
>calves are slightly smaller than quads

i'm not sure if i should be proud or not

Jesus christ this thread is a fucking shit show. Alright listen up you fat sack of shit I am going to give you the advice that helped me when I was in your situation.

Fucking get MYFITNESSPAL or ANY CALORIE COUNTER APP. It's almost 2017. There is a multitude of apps out there to count what you stuffing down your fat face. There is no excuse to not be counting calories.

Calculate your TDEE and eat at at least a 500 calorie deficit of that. The larger the deficit the more fat you will burn. CALORIES IN < CALORIES OUT = WEIGHT LOSS. No if ands or buts about it. No low gluten, no low sodium, no low sugar, none of that "never eat/only eat white foods" bullshit. Eat less and move more.

As for moving. Yes, you want to run. You are going to be shit at it at first. I sucked at your weight. Everyone at the start is fucking trash at running. You will be sore. You will be covered in sweat. You will barely be able to breath. But it will get easier.

Do couch to 5k consistently. Burning calories through running + calorie counting and eating at a deficit will get you results.

Also, get into the habit of lifting. Find a guide online and follow it. The sticky has good stuff. I generally split my bodies into days. 1 day for arms. 1 day for core. 1 day for legs. 10 minutes of running before and after.
RESULTS WILL BE SLOW. and I mean really slow. aim for losing 1 pound a week on a good week. You are in it for the long haul. 2 years at the very least to get you down to a weight like say 190-200. To put into perspective, I started at 320 and after a year I am now in my 230s on the final push to lose these 30 pounds.

You can do it user. But you have to not want to be a fatass.

Try to run everyday, work up to 30mins, start at 5 if you have to, add a little every other day. Eat right, get to 220, then start lifting.

also this. Only start lifting once you reach 220-230. Running/walking and eating less will get you down to that weight just fine.

I've gone from 94 kg to 77 kg over the past couple years, I still have another 7 kg or so to lose, but here's my advice:

Diet is the most important thing. You can sit on your ass all day and still lose weight if your diet is on point.

If I were you I'd do these things:
0) count calories, be at a 500-700 calorie deficit per day, and do this CONSISTENTLY.

1) Low-impact cardio like stationary bike, 3 days a week.

2) Compound lifts, maybe 3 x 5, something like Greyskull LP or a modified Starting Strength/Strong Lifts, 3 days a week. Don't worry about progressing fast, on a cut it will be difficult to keep up your energy and recover (some people say it's not but for me it was very hard), take it slow and steady.

Consistency is the key. Don't lose sight of your goal and build good, healthy habits. This is a LIFESTYLE change and it will take you months to transition into new habits and routines. Realize this will be a multi-year process most likely. Don't get discouraged and if you get sidetracked for whatever reason, just get right back into the groove and don't sweat it. Setbacks will happen (injuries, loss of motivation, getting drunk and binge eating, whatever). Don't let them stop you. Just pick yourself up, learn from your mistake, and get back on track.

>Start lifting after cutting weight
Literally why? Wasting amazing noob gains for no reason other than getting to a low weight quicker.
Take a bit more time and you can good higher numbers, more muscle, and eventually look way better once you've cut the weight.

Of course running should be added but lifting should be primary, especially for someone who has the potential of loose skin. You NEED muscle to look halfway decent and running just helps shed weight, not look good.