How much protein can you absorb in 1 meal?

How much protein can you absorb in 1 meal?

Other urls found in this thread:

examine.com/nutrition/second-look-at-protein-quantity-after-exercise/
ajpendo.physiology.org/content/302/8/E992
examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

as much as you want. think back a thousand years when people found/hunted for their own food - they'd eat once and didn't find more for literally days in some cases. do you really think the body is going to be like "oh here's some quality nutrition let's take 30g of this and dump the rest even though I won't have more for possibly days"

the whole protein

our bodies do have limits you know.

It's 30g per hour approximately but it takes hours for your body to digest food.

You can absorb 5-10g per hour. But you have a huge buffer in the form of your stomach, gut lining, blood level etc. So basically you can eat all your daily allowance in one meal and most of it is going to get absorbed.

maybe yours does, you low test mouthbreathing numale limp-wristed cuckhold

no shit - but they're certainly not as autisticly low as the bodybuilding community likes to parrot they are. 30g is what most people like to say, and that's a very small amount - i've got no doubt in my mind our bodies can use more than that.

Depends on the individual.

You can train protein breakdown and aminoacid absorption the same way you can train muscular endurance.

In the average person, it's about 25-30g per meal.

You body has limits far lower than my body, simply by virtue of me being a descendant of stronger people than you are.

body digests roughly 20-30ish grams of protein an hour.

but protein from real food stays in your stomach for 6-8 hours, so you'd have to eat like 300grams of protein (nearly 1.5kg of chicken) in one sitting to start having problems.

About twice the amount of half the protein you're able to absorb.

Source? IIRC, 30g is just the peak anabolic response.

LIMIT BREAK

>In the average person, it's about 25-30g per meal.
Fuck no, if our bodies were that retarded we would have died out long ago. Your body can store excess nutrients in your stomach and gut linings and release them over time into the bloodstream. If you really go crazy, it will slow down digestion to get a handle on things, it will fight for every bit of nutrients.

depends on how big the load is

3 proteans

It's more like,
>how much protein do I absorb in an hour and at what rate does the unabsorbed protein move thu my GI tract?

kidneys and liver can only handle about 250-300g per day with a ton of hydration

most people won't absorb anywhere near that amount even if you eat that much and just fart/shit it out

Tests show that the body stops absorbing protein before even reaching the 1g/lb mark. Most people will have absolutely no benefit from eating more than 150g or so, the rest, as you say just makes your farts and shits smell horrible.

Well, think about it logically: If your body isn't using what you eat, you'll literally see what's left over in your poop.

So should I eat my whole whey box in a day? I mean, I wont just shit it out right ?

This

Veeky Forums is f0king stupid mate

I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they are just uneducated. If they still don't get it after some help or are unwilling to learn then I accept my loss of time and move on, hopefully to less dumb people.

While you will absorb almost the same amount as you would if you spaced it out over the day - it would put unnecessary strain on your GI tract (bloating, heartburn etc.) and is thus not recommended.

why would your body do this if you're eating a modern diet?

there is no need for the excess protein.

>im dyel

Protein farts and shits are awesome. You are not a true lifter.

You're genuinely retarded.

Do you honestly think your nervous system thinks to itself "oh, I live in the 21st century, I don't need to store any extra nutrients because food is plentiful."

By that logic your body should throw out any extra calories because there's no chance of starvation.

examine.com/nutrition/second-look-at-protein-quantity-after-exercise/
No one is entirely sure of how much protein the human body can use at one time. It will also vary depending on LBM, weight, genetics, etc.
Take what ANYONE on Veeky Forums says with a grain of salt.

>In the average person, it's about 25-30g per meal

Why is this falsehood pushed so hard?

>he doesn't know about up/downregulation
>he's still gonna give advice about biochemistry

This thread is in dire need of some citation

>Hur-dur, if you aren't a disgusting stinking slob that enjoys the smell of man-farts you're a fag.

correct

>Why is this falsehood pushed so hard?
Because it just so happens to be the same protein content that the average shake has (with and without milk.) This way it's "better" to drink a couple protein shakes spaced out trough the day than to eat a couple decent meals with 40-60g of protein.

Basically for the same reason that everyone "needs" 200-400g of protein per day or they will never make gains.

>having such a fragile grip on your masculinity and projecting on others
I bet you also have a beard to hide your bitch jawline and wear plenty of flannel like a bull-dyke.

The premise of this question is inherently flawed. We don't
>absorb
Nutrients. We destroy them and redistribute their building blocks for various uses. If there are excess proteins, carbs, and fat soluble nutrients they are stored as lipids to be used up in times of want. You will probably just get fatter if you eat more than you exert. Most likely will not
>shit them out
This is the fevered dream of a ham planet and not how the body works. If we could eat all we wanted and our bodies shit out the unnecessary then there would be no fat ppl.

ajpendo.physiology.org/content/302/8/E992

MPS is stimulated by the ingestion of protein (more importantly, leucine). There are zero (credible) studies showing that your body cannot absorb all the protein you ingest. However, I do not believe that the human body is capable of using more than it needs (dependent on LBM, frequency of workouts, genetics).
I believe I remember Eric Helms saying something along the lines of 0.8g-1.2g/lb. Sounds reasonable.

Like this user said you DO NOT shit out the excess. You exhale a majority of the weight that you lose.

>This is the fevered dream of a ham planet and not how the body works. If we could eat all we wanted and our bodies shit out the unnecessary then there would be no fat ppl.
Fat gets absorbed much faster so you'd have to eat titanic amounts to get anal leakage from it, but it is possible.

For protein, the treshold is much lower since it is slower to absorb. Some average person is probably never going to hit that limit - but some fag who read somehwere that a serious lifter needs to eat a pound of pure protein a day will hit that limit and shit out plenty of undigested protein - usually you can tell by the tell-tale smell. What else is the body going to do? Make your gut linings swell up till you get a big Lenny gut? increase your protein synthesis past the physiological maximum? just let your blood turn into mostly aminos?

THIS.

The human digestive system is based aroubd eating habits we had thousands of years ago. Which was feast and famine. Humans often went days without food and when we had it we have to make sure what ever we ate we could extract every calorie and hold onto as much of that energy and nutrients as possible so we can make it to our next meal.

>You exhale a majority of the weight that you lose

>2016
>not breathing heavily to make mad gains

He probably meant carbon, but that comes from metabolized food - not from undigested matter.

as much as you eat famalamadingdongingtonertonson

who the fuck cares? the only thing you should care about is eating enough protein to have 3-4 grams of leucine (from decent amino acid profile sources) in every meal while eating 3-5 times a day. absorption matters jack shit.

Why are you arguing with me, when you clearly don't understand that most fat loss is done through the exhalation of CO2.
It also comes from the oxidation of fat cells. You're absolutely correct, and I misspoke. Thank you for correcting my mistake.

>civility on Veeky Forums
>mfw

This is memeology at It's finest.
>swell the lining of your gut
>that tell tale smell
Only some nutrients are stored in the lining if you have enough excess it gets stored in your lipid layer just under your skin
>b-but only dietary fat makes you fat
Wrong again Dr. Oz. All types of cals and nutrients including many broken amino chains are stored in our bodies lipid cells. It's why you can o.d. On certain vitamins if you eat too much over time. And the smell of rancid shit during a high proton diet is just the odor of the different by-product gasses being created by the bacteria that live in your colon. That's why dog and cat shit smell so awful. They aren't shitting out unused protein, they just have different bacteria breaking down more animal sourced by products in their colon.

>palebro science

these are the people giving you fitness advice

>blaming everything on whey companies

Sure bud.

>swell the lining of your gut
>Only some nutrients are stored in the lining if you have enough excess it gets stored in your lipid layer just under your skin
Your reading comprehension is terrible, I was mocking people who think your body can handle unlimited amounts of protein.

>Wrong again Dr. Oz. All types of cals and nutrients including many broken amino chains are stored in our bodies lipid cells.

>"In reality, the chances that excess protein contributes to body fat stores are insignificant, and arguably physically impossible under normal or even slightly hyper-caloric conditions that most athletes face on a daily basis. Only until theoretical extremes – either for protein intakes or calories or both – are achieved will there be any significant contributions to body fat from excess protein intake."
>Bray GA, Smith SR, de Jonge L, Xie H, Rood J, Martin CK, Most M, Brock C, Mancuso S, Redman LM: Effect of dietary protein content on weight gain, energy expenditure, and body composition during overeating: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2012, 307:47-55.

>They aren't shitting out unused protein.
see pic

all of them

I'm not blaming 9/11 or the extinction of elephants on them; but supplement companies cherry pick and maliciously misinterpret a lot of studies to get people to buy shit tons of stuff they don't need, sometimes they even pull claims from their asses - they are a major source of broscience.

The rate of what is excreted seems to be at a constant proportional rate meaning that you are both using or storing more as well as excreting more. Your body can handle idk about unlimited but clearly massive amounts of usable protein. This chart doesn't point to a threshold limit at all but rather a proportional relationship that is in all likelyhood affected by various other factors ranging from micro-biology, composition of total diet, and level of exercise. You are making a fallacy by using a scientific study to track a specific result and then trying to extrapolate something different from it. The passage you used specifically mentioned athletes. Well athletes lead an active lifestyle with constant muscle destruction leading to constant muscle reconstruction. If the subjects were not athletes and instead couch potatoes i would wager that their excretion rates would not be significantly greater than the athletes but they would be fatter than the athlete.

I am aware that you can't conflate what's going on into one pithy answer, there needs to be some degree of "memeing" to get a short but reasonably accurate point across.

>body can handle idk about unlimited but clearly massive amounts of usable protein
But the point at which protein intake ceases to be a bottle-neck for MPS (except in minute degrees, that are well past the point of of reasonable diminishing return) is much lower than that. That's what I'm trying to bring across. Studies on LM gains show a clear plateau past 1.8g/kg even in strenght athletes on a caloric deficit.

>specifically mentioned athletes
I'm assuming that Veeky Forums is mostly frequented by amateur or even pro strength athletes.

>If the subjects were not athletes and instead couch potatoes i would wager that their excretion rates would not be significantly greater than the athletes but they would be fatter than the athlete.
The study that was the source for that image was on bed-ridden hospital patients. When you look at, for example, Lysine excretion/intake ratios - the difference is 5%. With higher throughput I'm fairly certain it would increase; but maybe your right, maybe it would remain fairly minor until an extreme point.

*Forgot pic.

Plus you've got to consider that most of the tested athletes are probably around 10-15%BF.

So if you're going by LBM then it's somewhere around 1.6g/kglm.

Your average 6', 19FFMI, 170lbs noob lifter needs about 100g of protein. Add on a generous 20% to compensate for inefficient protein synthesis, slightly below ideal protein sources and a bit of a safety margin: 120 grams.

120 grams. The sticky would recommend 50 grams more than that, 70 if you didn't add the margin. That's close to a dollar per day on protein powder, 2 if you live in a country where whey prices are inflated.

t. vegan

You can get protein from more than whey. I'd argue it's easier to get protons from food because even good whey is disgusting.

You're disgusting
>apex predator not living out his full potential
Disgusting.

But you got to consider that if you're on a cut then you need your protons from very lean sources.

Let's use chicken breast as an example (cheapest source of complete and lean protein in my country.)

>It costs 4.5$/kg, 300 grams per kilo, 66g per dollar.
>For me the excess that following the stick would yield is about 60g/day, 1830g per month.
>That's 27.7$ per month, average salary for blue collar worker is 333$, so 12% of that income.
>The average salary in the US is 3666$/month, so that would be equivalent to an American needing to spend 440 extra dollars per month due to the stickys advice. That's not chump change.
So you see why knowing exactly how much protein they need - and not just taking the "more can't hurt" road is important.

Plus, not trying to be a dick, but you probably know that you need more than a 20% margin due to reduced bioavailability and protein completeness unless you're really meticulous about your diet and amino matching or are advanced enough that there is very little MPS inefficiency like in noobs.

*330$, forgot to compare blue collar to blue collar, still not a small amount.

>why would your body do this if you're eating a modern diet?
t. retard who doesn't know how evolution works

you piss out most nutrients, including fats. Anything that isn't water soluble goes through the GI tract.
Fatties being fat now has nothing to do with their present decisions. Most can undo the damage but choose not to because their weak willed cunts.

if everyone here is so smart why is there still a huge controversy about optimal protein intake? what is it? everyone seems to give a different answer.

>300 grams per kilo
top kek

Or it could be that no one on an oriental trading company memo board is smart...

It is my understanding that our cuckolded endurance bodies that aren't really good at doing anything but manipulating tools do not prioritize getting beefy in any way

It is my understanding that in many cases, protein we eat gets broken down and converted into glucose and glycogen via the Krebs cycle. This is especially true after a work out. Your body doesn't give a fuck about protein, all it knows is it is out of glycogen and needs to replenish it in case shit hits the fan and you have to exert yourself again. This is why your recovery drink should include carbs, so that protein is not wasted in the relatively pointless goal of energy maintenance.

It is further my understanding that our bodies will use about 25-30 grams of protein per meal as building blocks for new, usable protein synthesis and structural growth.

>It is my understanding that in many cases, protein we eat gets broken down and converted into glucose and glycogen via the Krebs cycle.
Not really, see study quoted in , Kerbs is very inefficient and the body is "aware" that protein is vital.

>go to bodybuilding dot com to read about protein absorbs
>writer says doctor tells him more than 250g a day is bad for your liver and kidneys
>writer asks bodybuilder who tells him to don't be a fag and eat 350g a day
>writer concludes bodybuilder is right over doctor

This is interesting. If this is the case, why don't we treat protein in the same or a similar way as dietary fiber? (i.e., not count it as a significant source of caloric energy because either it cannot, or in this case, is preferentially NOT used as an energy source)

If the majority of protein does *not* contribute to body fat, then what that really means is that it's not being used for energy at all.

Following this logic, we should have some kind of math, some kind of research that gets to the nitty gritty of how much protein we actually use for energy.

It seems like this idea suggest current dietary recommendations and science is pretty behind - but I may be misinterpreting, so I'd like to hear your thoughts.

For reference, foods already list their caloric content taking the average efficiency of the human digestive system into account.

Why don't we do this to weigh the caloric content of protein,by considering it's average rate of use as an energy source?

>writer says doctor tells him more than 250g a day is bad for your liver and kidneys

Excess protein is not bad for your kidneys as long as:
>you get enough fat to avoid rabbit starvation,
>don't have any preexisting renal conditions,
>don't consider a moderatley elevated risk of kidney stones a big deal,
>don't eat enough to overload even healthy kidneys with urea - but that's usually an absurd amount. Problem is that if you need that much protein - you're probably on roids. Which will cause some kidney and liver problems in most cases and you're probably eating too little fat - so it's not all that healthy.

>bodybuilder who tells him to don't be a fag and eat 350g a day
Well if you're on all the roids then you probably would see some benefit from that much, as a natty you don't even need half that.

>Why don't we do this to weigh the caloric content of protein,by considering it's average rate of use as an energy source?
Because it only applies to active individuals and because there is some convoluted calculation involved.

>It seems like this idea suggest current dietary recommendations and science is pretty behind
Not science, but dietary recommendations are in some regards: FDA recommendations are usually based of average (including women and the elderly) sedentary people. See the graph in , look at where the RDA recommendation is and where the EA (endurance athlete) and SA (strength athlete) recommendations are.

Oh and I also forgot, because the protein used for MPS still adds weight to you: muscles have weight. So the mass added to your weight is similar to the mass that would be added if that protein ended up as stored fat.

>1016AD
>be hunter-gatherer
>everyone else is farming
>manlet peasants make fun of me because I don't know how to civilize

interesting!

asking dumb questions for clarification

Is this why athletes have such absurdly high daily energy requirements?

Because a significant amount of what they think of as calories are being put to use in other ways?

>Because a significant amount of what they think of as calories are being put to use in other ways?
Yes and no.

A kcal worth of protein (0.25g) used for replacing damaged muscle fibers will add mass to you just like storing it as fat would. But the exact weight added varies due to differences in energy efficiency, however you got to consider that the body will utilize energy from carbs/fat to cover for some of the cost - which is much more efficient. If you constantly work out there will be a lot of that replacement going on, "funneling away" quite a bit of mass in the form of excreted urea, exhaled carbon etc. However, they probably calculate it as part of "energy expenditure" during exercise, or so I would think.

Also, a large part of their high caloric requirement is because muscles burn a lot more calories than fat even when idle, add in some strenuous exercise and you get to pretty high numbers.

As I said, the whole thing is a bit complicated.

yeah, this discussion has pointed out how little I know about this.Thanks, you've sparked a lot of further reading and academic interest for me.

well, look where that shit got us.

lmao

Upper limit seems to be around 100g in one sitting
examine has an ok article on it

>we havent evolved at all in over a thousand years

fuck off shlomo

is there a video sauce on that pic?

Amino acids and some peptides are able to self-regulate their time in the intestines. An example of this is the digestive hormone CCK which, in addition to regulating appetite and satiety in response to food[10] can also slow down intestinal contractions and speed in response to protein.[11][12] CCK is released when dietary protein is present, and demonstrates a way in which the body can slow down digestion in order to absorb all present protein.[13]

In a study done on women, consumption of more than 54g of protein in a single meal versus across four meals resulted in no differences.[25] As these women had on average 90 lb of lean mass, it is highly plausible that more protein could be efficiently processed. The same researchers found that a single high protein meal was actually more effective in a population of elderly women.[26]

Research done on Intermittent Fasting supports the theory that your body can cope with far more protein than most people think, with two studies showing that the consumption of an average of 80-100g of protein in 4 hours yielded no differences in lean mass[27][28]

examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-i-eat-in-one-sitting/

Anyone touting the 30g in one sitting meme is simply uneducated and doesn't understand what they're talking about.

Eat as much protein as you want in one meal. If you're retarded enough to think your body stops processing it in a defined amount of time then eat more throughout the day.

Holy shit nigga, do you have any idea how long evolution takes?

>being cucked by your own body

Do you think you'll just shit it out if you eat 10 platters of ribs in one sitting?

1 generation. Evolution is a continual process dum dum.

Hence why entire species of moths have changed from black to white and doubled their size in less than 3 years.

>Evolution is a continual process dum dum.
So is weight loss, that doesn't mean you'll notice changes after a day.
We haven't evolved THAT much.

you going to let your body pussy out on you?

>person on Veeky Forums says eating more than 250g a day is ok even though a doctor says its bad for internal organs

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS GUY
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

So eating a kg of protein a day is allright? Might start doing it and get fucking shredded in a week

I didn't say it was a great idea for everyone; I said it's not that bad if you have healthy kidneys, a healthy diet and don't mind a slightly elevated risk of kidney stones.

3 preotein

made me kek

4 scoops, it's always four scoops.

Because doctors are dyels.

This, your body doesnt know the difference between living in some desert in Africa and the middle of New York, your body just runs and does its job