Advice on Skateboarding to lose weight

As I'm approaching my 30's I've noticed I'm slowly gaining weight and I'm not too happy about it. I have no interest in lifting weights or running. I skateboarded as a teenager, and I recently bought a new board. How much weight can I expect to lose with altering my diet to lean meat and vegetables and cruising around and doing some flat ground tricks for an hour or so a day?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/NewSkaters/comments/5hfm0e/day_1_of_skating/
youtube.com/watch?v=E4qagwtthNI
youtube.com/watch?v=NmLDcfUeaqg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>30 year old skating around like a middle schooler

please dont

>approaching my 30's

>skateboarding

You'll look like a right faggot OP, maybe suck a few dicks to get your heart racing if you are too good for running.

I honestly don't give a shit what people think of me. I'm just interested in keeping my weight in check, and skateboarding is the only form of exercise I feel would be willing to keep up with. I've tried lifting weights and running, and I got tired of it.

Not much. In my experience the most tiring thing to skate is bowls (because you have to constantly use your hips to pump) but even then it's not that good for cardio.

If you wanted to lose weight you'd be better off going cycling or something instead.

I hope that's not the case. I live in an area that doesn't harbor too many skate parks. I just planned on skating around for a mile or two a day on sidewalks or my apartment conplex and maybe 5 or 6 mile a day on the weekend on a concrete bike trail.

It won't do any harm (unless you fuck yourself up) but I can't imagine it would really have much impact on weight loss.
Not from my memories of skating anyway.

So you don't think the cardo from skating and the change in diet will effect my weight?

Just eat less faggot holy shit, fucking SKATEBOARDING?! nigga

Op post a pic, I want to see what the kind of autistic fucking retard that thinks skateboarding in his 30s for cardio looks like. You do realize skateboarding is relatively easy as fuck? Your on wheels only applying force every so often to stay in motion you could literally just briskly walk for 30 minutes . "I'm not interested in running or lifting weights" then do zumba since your obviously a fairy.

>he uses a skateboard for anything else than squatting

I skated 3.5 miles to and from my girlfriends house everyday for several months and became a spooky skeleton. Try that OP.

Read the fucking stickey you damn NYRfag

If you put as much effort into losing weight as you put into reading the sticky then you are fucked boy.

Enjoy being fat then. Seriously though weight gain is from your diet. Burning an extra 150 calories farting around on a skateboard isnt going to have a noticeable difference

>Zumba fairy

So what kind of exercise would you suggest for someone that has no interest in running or cycling?

If it'll get you active off your ass and out of the house?
A lot.
Tony hawk is like 50 or something now and he's skinny as a rail.

Running, cycling, or swimming

HAHAHAHA this is hilarious.

>I honestly don't give a shit what people think of me.
Obviously not.

>I'm just interested in keeping my weight in check,
No your not, you're interested in skateboarding

>skateboarding is the only form of exercise I feel would be willing to keep up with.
Wait until he finds out how tough marathon/cycling/rowing/swimming/weightlifting competition is. Wants to hang with the kiddies man. Woah check out baldy over there... He's got the new yeezys and can flipkick. I heard he used to be a pro and almost beat tony hawk when he was younger.

>I've tried lifting weights and running, and I got tired of it.
You know what you'll get tired of skateboarding... Fucked knees. You're 30.

To sum it all up you're thirty, not thirteen. If you always skateboarded that's fine... But you haven't. I used to rollerblade in my teens. I enjoyed it... It's over now grow the fuck up.

so many faggots on this board holy shit. They don't get it, it's about finding an outlet to practice exercise without straight up going to the gym or 'walking for 30 minutes' which is FUCKING BORING BTW

and skating is awesome

it's mostly about diet if you can just eat less and better food you will lose weight, skating doesn't hurt though and is a cool sport!@

Read the fucking sticky holy shit oh my god what the fuck
>I want to lose weight, what exercise should I do?
EVERY TIME WITH YOU RETARDS EXERCISE IS TO BE FIT, DIET IS THE MAIN CONTRIBUTOR TO YOUR WEIGHT JESUS FUCK

>I guarantee you the guy who typed this looks like this

>interested in losing weight
>interested in how to lose it
Pick one and only one.

>mfw I'm really close to being able to ollie onto curbs and just continue skating

>soon ill be so versatile my commute will be a flawless run. people in the way of the ramp? just drop down the first curb, and ollie up onto the next curb, zipping past them

>skateboarding is so GAY Lol XdDdD Killys My DOOD

>dancing is so LAME LOL WHO DOES THat IlL Just Use My Gainz To Get WIMON hahaha FAG

>rOFL who rides BIKES?? I bet U also like DIK IN UR ASS Xd IM ONLY 13 AND I BROWSE Veeky Forums!!1!

>having hobbies in 2016
>not just lifting and then immediately go home to shitpost on Veeky Forums while mommy makes u tendies
>I SERIOUSLY hope you guys don't do this

get out of this thread, then go kill yourselves/find a hobby, thx

reddit.com/r/NewSkaters/comments/5hfm0e/day_1_of_skating/

is this you?

Obvoiusly nobody skates here...im 43 still skate and snowboard. Ill be dripping sweat and panting for breath from ramp or pool riding and often skate for hours or hit 4 or 5 parks in a day. Have you seen fat skaters? Ones that rip? No. And to answer op no you wont lose weight you sound like you sucked at skating and at 30 its too late to progress at it.

Those people probably never fucking skated. That shit will tire you the fuck out if you are distance skating. And lets not even talk about up hill

came exactly to say this

heh, i guess you're the only faggot on that board

I posted and then closed the thread.
The diet will have an impact. No doubt, but I wouldn't think skating would do much at all. Maybe I was doing it wrong but when I used to skate, it was never really an energy burning thing.

Read the sticky OP.

Unless you go hardcore into this you probably aren't going to get optimal returns in time vs. lost view.

You looked into anything else beyond treadmill/lifting? Despite what Veeky Forums says, there is more to the world of exercise beyond barbells and weight machines. Dancing, martial arts, climbing, etc are just a few that would give better returns.

Of course there are, but trying to use skateboarding as viable form of cardio is just retarded.
Plus, he's a 30yo man. You should be way passed kiddie shit at that age.

Strength training to get them massive strength gains bruh, trying to get swole, and totes trying to get a low bodyfat and fit into those yoga pants is kiddy shit bruh.
That's shit for old adolescents.

The dude skateboard his way to fitness if he goddamned well wants.

1hour skate session is ~400 calories if you go hard. Good luck!

congrats on your first attempted greentext

Have obviously never stepped on a skateboard in their lives, or did and fell off within 4 seconds.

Anyway OP, I'm 24 and I still skate at least once a week and if I have the time and my long standing back and knee injuries let me everyday. I think it will absolutely help you lose weight, I find that skating is the best form of cardio for me, within an hour or two I can barely do any tricks as my legs are that tired, heart is pounding and I"m sweating and its the only non organised sport form of cardio I can do for an hour or two apart from skiing and surfing desu.

I would say if you're serious about doing it to lose weight the key is to pop as many tricks as possible, and to go fast. Don't just cruise, always run hard before you throw down and pop all your tricks hard and high, I was at my fastest when I skated everyday, and my leanest.

> so fat that skateboarding is the only exercise he can do for 2 hours
>still thinks skateboarding is somehow helping

Lol wood pushers are so stupid

Pushing yourself in cardio is unnecessary. Get your heart rate to 150bpm for 20mins a day. Skateboarding is great for it. I just skate fast, no tricks.

Just eat less. Literally in the sticky, fag

3x5 Fridge Door Closes
5x5 Fork Put-Downs
5x5 Sips
3x5 Calorie Counts
3xF Portion Controllers

>I use to skateboard
>I tried lifting and running but i got tired of them
I think you have more of a commitment issue and lack diciprine.

>this faggy ass post
>filename
>litterally a redditor

LOL

POST BODY NU MALE PLS.

SHOW ME THE GYNO

Dubs of truth.

Swimming. Rowing. Boxing. Skip rope. Literally hundreds of ways to get cardio. Some admittedly better than others but gliding on a plank with wheels is near the bottom. Google is your friend fatty

Yes lets compare op to tony hawk

Sure fatty

>surely standing on a board and pushing off the ground every so often will help me lose weight

m8,unless you're doing some tony hawk underground 2 type shit then the only thing you will lose is your dignity

>mfw this is OP's life

get a strong skateboard fatty

Give up skateboarding and get on some blades man, it's way more fun and the fitness gains are greater than pleb- boarding.

man, what does skate boarding have to do with losing weight.

calories in >> calories out.

you could eat pizza and burgers everyday, and lose weight.

you could also do cardio 16 hours a day, and still gain fat.

seriously, exercise has nothing to do with weight gain/lose

If youre skating directly up a hill maybe. Thats the equivalent of a 4 mile run

I've been skating since early highschool and I'm about to finish university. It's great fun but it's VERY hard when you first start since you look super gay. Once you learn to ollie, get your first few grinds and flip tricks it becomes really fun. As far as weight loss it does cardio, core and legs fairly well. You won't get shredded but you never see fat skaters.

>but you never see fat skaters

This is how I know you don't actually sk8 fucboi

Skateboarding is fucking great for legs and stamina, I'm a skinny cunt but my legs are great because of it so yeah, and it burns calories and is therapeutic in some senses if you're a huge faggot like me

>rollerblades
>sells house to get good bearings for all wheels

Where do you see fat skaters? I've seen one semi chubby dude on a berrics recruit video. Nigga you can't ghetto bird, probably can't even hardflip, gtfo

You better be buying that board for skateboard squats

>half of these morons have never tried ollieing 100+ times in an hour

You all have never felt this sweat before.

its funny cuz this dude is actually a faggot

I'm 32 and still carry around my skateboard in my car and practice tre flips and shit just to fuck around. It's fun. You get a good sweat but I wouldn't count on losing as much weight as you would running but yeah if you control your diet and shit, you'll do fine.

For someone your age you should consider longboarding. Like get the gloves and try sliding, it works your core pretty well and walking up hills after skating down them burns quite a few calories in an hour. In my city where it's fairly popular it's not unusual to see guys in their 30s or 40s bombing hills. It's still a little cringy as a hobby but it's the most socially acceptable form of skating as cardio for a 30yo

I'm 29. Is it too late to start skateboarding?

I used to do it as a teen, from 13 to 16. All I could do was ollie, shove it and kickfliped once or twice.

Man, you're one sad cynical fuck.

>Have you seen fat skaters?
>You won't get shredded but you never see fat skaters.

youtube.com/watch?v=E4qagwtthNI

1. Yeah, diet comes first.
2. Skating is awesome exercise if you're not just pushing around like a sad cunt going nowhere. If you're actually challenging yourself to learn how to really shred shit, you're going to burn a ton of calories and it will absolutely help with weight loss.
3. With that said, it's kind of a catch 22. When I started skating, I was around 5'11 175 lb and it wasn't that hard to do. By the time I grew to 6'1, 190 lb two years later, I was noticeably struggling to do the same tricks. Everything felt more difficult and my feet felt really heavy and clumsy. And I wasn't fatter, either. It was all lean tissue. But being overweight and trying to actually land tricks can be really, really tough (just like trying to be an overweight figure skater). The best guys in the world are almost always rail thin. Video related.

youtube.com/watch?v=NmLDcfUeaqg

Not that I expect you have any ideas of reaching this elite level of skating. But now you know it's possible, if you didn't already! If you haven't skated since you were a teenager, you missed out on some stuff. People have really taken shit to the next level in the past 10 years alone. Well, good. Don't get intimidated by it. Get stoked. Get on your board and go fuck shit up, user.

This guy gets it.

>And to answer op no you wont lose weight you sound like you sucked at skating and at 30 its too late to progress at it.
That's definitely not true. I skated and wasn't great at it as a teenager, got back into it around 30 and am now much better at 32 than I was at 15.

Fuck no, it's never too late. Just go for it! Don't listen to the losers telling you something "isn't cool" or "you'll never be good." Your goal shouldn't be to impress people or be the next Mark Gonzales, your goal should be to just have fun. Life is too short to not do what you really want to do.