Anyone here that swims for cardio/workout?

Anyone here that swims for cardio/workout?

How long on average would you say it takes to see weight loss results from swimming ~20-25 laps a day?

>20-25 laps

Adorable.

Not the strongest swimmer here. Doing that to start out.

Then again I usually only swim once every 2 years and that's in boots and cammies

Anyone?

I swim and 20-25 doesn't seem like a lot to me, but if you do it daily and you're just a beginner...

I always swim for time (30-60min), not for laps, so I have a hard time commenting on that.

You should learn to crawl first, breaststroke won't get you that far in terms of exercise. Throw in some backstroke/dolphin as well.

Swimming is one of the best forms of exercise. Have fun!

20-25 will probably not make you lose much weight. At least you need to increase the number over time, which will happen anyway when you stick to it.
But if you do so you will see some resonable results after a 2-3month or so I'd say

But swimming is great:
>no injuries
>decent upper body
>qt3.14s mirring your smooth movements and skills form the edge of the pool

>tfw you do a perfect flip turn

I swim for swimming...

What is a "lap"? 25m, 25y, 50m, something else?

Weight loss comes from eating less. However, swimming will build muscles, so that might help.

Breaststroke done right is incredibly exhausting. One should aim to master all strokes, though. Front crawl is probably easiest to learn properly, though. Good starting point for OP.

I only swim for exercise, no weigthlifting although I do bike to get around the city.
As a result I'm dyel but not skinnyfat at least. Considering my diet is in the normal caloric range for someone my size (more fiber maybe, I eat a lot of veggies), you'd be looking at about 80-110 laps twice a week to maintain a good shape.
It's an approximation since I don't count laps and just look at the time but it's between 90min and two hours worth of swimming.
That's with a slow and steady breaststroke pace mind you. Now I try to intensify it with sprint laps and front crawl since i've gotten used to it.

Anyone else breaststroke underwater for laps to increase lung capacity\function?

Regularly swimming already does wonder for breath capacity and control.
I don't see the need to target it specifically unless I'm trying to be jean reno.

I personally just do it for "fun" essentially, like 90mins. twice a week to unwind from work, I get my actual training elsewhere. Friend of mine thinks he's a genius for doing swim HIIT though so I will share for lulz

2min. easy crawl
1min. brutal hardcore breaststroke twice the speed anybody would consider sane
2min. easy crawl
1min. hardcore backstroke
repeat for 30mins., do twice a day

It looks pretty damn gay and I'd never do it but he swears by it kek

Where did this "front crawl is the easier stroke" meme come from? I cannot do it correctly for the life of me. Breast Stroke kills my upper body though, really feels like a work out

How do I learn to swim properly? I used to take lessons but I forgot the parts about when to breathe and shit.

>Hardcore backstroke

Hope he gets a concussion, the retard.

yes i actually do this, but im not sure if its a meme or reasonable.
At least i can say I started doiing barley 25m (1 lap) and im like 32.5m (1.5laps) now

breathe: when head out of water

shit: never while in the water, you gross son of a bitch

he somehow manages not to and stops early enough (don't ask me how) but I'm including for him to fuck up and hurt himself in my prayers every night

I started swimming daily a month ago. My routine is:

Day A:
>10 x 50 meters for warm up
>rest
>25 x 50
>rest
>25 x 50

Takes 3 hours.

Day B:
>60 minutes breastsroke

Takes 1,5 hours or 2 hours depending on if I want to chill in the sauna/bubble baths later.

My technique was garbage when I started but now it's pretty k.

I've gotten a lot of definition and could lose a lot of weight if I put more effort into limiting what I eat.

I just bought swimming goggles and got down in the water. Most of the technique will start forming by itself and I always kept an eye on the pro swimmers to see how they do things. But watch some vids on youtube to know what to avoid and stuff. Don't want to develop bad habits.

My gym only has this gross heated pool for old people, plus reading about chloride absorption's effect on the body on here kind of scared me off from it.

Swimming is my sport. I swim between 4500m to 6500m depending on the training, 6 times a week.

Are pools treated with ozone beter than chlorine pools?

Got into swimming this semester. But there are a few chubby swimmers which is always odd to me. Most dudes are pretty ottermode but very little muscle besides swimming muscles.

There is this like 350lb russian dude with like some tattoos and he swims non stop. For like an hour. It's unbelievable. I asked him how do you swim for so long he said "Is like running, you keep swimming"

>You see comrade you must imagine water is like capitalist propaganda

Swimming is all about dat efficiency. It's not all about strength.

This man knows. Swim for time, not for laps. Keep pushing yourself and dont stop. I'm a lackluster swimmer and can't front crawl for very long but once I cant do it I revert to BS and swim it out.

Are you implying you can't slack off from swimming for time?

When swimming for laps, you know that the faster you swim, the earlier you'll be done AND the more you'll get from the exercise. Whereas with swimming for time you can just half ass the entire thing while technically following your routine.

that's one reason why I would recommend crawl. If you half-ass that, it's still more of a workout than half-assed breaststroke. But of course, if you don't want to push yourself, nothing will really help you.

Very rarely swim for time.
There's just more motivation to give it my all if it means I can be done faster.

I still swim after my 500m but I find myself keeping a reserve if I go for time instead of pushing myself.

Swimming will make you hungry so it isn't the best for weight loss.

24 laps at my pool equals 500m which takes me under 15 minutes to complete.

I find motivation by trying to beat my time. Best so far is 9 minutes 10 seconds.

But for weight loss you'd probably want to do more.
I do various things at my pool (diving, shallow water sprints, breath training) and I spend usually 2 hours there. I enjoy the water so it's fun.

> swim 25 years just to do one lap

>he somehow manages not to and stops early enough (don't ask me how)
Good indoor pools will have markings on the ceiling, so you know early enough to stop.
Alternatively, I heard professional swimmers count the amount of strokes they need to swim one lap. So your friend might be counting the strokes to know when he would hit the wall. Try shouting random numbers at him while he swims and see if he hits his head then.
>he swims non stop. For like an hour.
In my city, we have this competition once every year, we call it hour swimming, and the participants swim for one hour straight.
The top dogs reach up to 5000m / 3 miles.
There is also old people competing, some of them are 80 years old. They can swim for the whole hour, but they only make it to 2400m/1.5 miles tops

No stroke counting, he literally changes technique mid-lap if the time frame given happens to force him to. But the markings could be the trick, I actually never paid attention to the ceiling those few times I was at his pool. The more you fucking know.

I swim 3 days a week for my cardio.

I do a 500 swim, kick, im, pull, swim for warm-up.

Then I do 15x50 freestyle at an interval that leaves me about 5 seconds at the wall while swimming at a moderate pace.

After I do 14x25 full on sprint using the same interval I used for the 50's.

It is pretty good for HIIT. If you get bored of freestyle, you can change up the interval times and do another stroke.

POOOOOOG

Why do you swim in boots and cammies?

Just swim for 45 minutes regardless of how many laps that is

Abbreviation for year is "a" -- annum. Sorry, I'm not used to burger-units.

Breast stroke done right is quite difficult (and great core workout). The only thing problematic with front crawl is having to turn your head to breathe.
But in general, in order to swim properly you have to have lessons or someone to show you how it's done.

Your maths is wrong.
On topic - if it's fun, why not? Enjoying yourself during exercise is a good way of actually exercising regularly.

Same interval means more rest? Sounds like a good programme.

I try to mix things around so I don't get in a rut. Like to do pyramids etc. so I don't have to count to 20 or whatever.

I'm a pretty decent college swimmer and I specialize in sprint freestyle and butterfly. The 100 and 200 yard butterfly and the 50 freestyle are my primary events. Swimming is an excellent method of exercise in my opinion. I picked it up my freshman year of high school and have been making gains ever since.

Not OP but I'm assuming that is for the Marine Corps Swim Qual. Usually units are pretty lax on getting it done. Or he is a reservist. Probably that. They only do it every 2 years.

Swimming is the comfiest exercise. Any other form of exercise just feels dull to me.

I always swim either 90 minutes or 2 hours and then relax in the sauna.

It's a great acne treatment too.

Yeah, more rest between the sprints. So if the first set was at a 40 second interval, the second set would also be on a 40 second interval.

How do I stop getting ear infections from the pool?

What's your 100 free short course?

I used to swim a lot, but it's just so fucking boring without music.

I usually sprint 8-10 x 50m no break and then get out because I am fucking bored.

I wish I had earproof headphones.

>earproof headphones

Wut

Nahh. Just a pog active duty.

The unit for yards is yd, as far as I know
I've never had difficulties with this, so I assume it's a problem with the pool you swim in.
I'm more of an introvert and don't mind being alone with my thoughts for an hour. I guess swimming is a thinker's sports?
>tfw to intelligent to play regular sports

I used to swim a lot, haven't found a pool now I've moved.

I'd swim like 10lwngths breast stroke straight off. Then I'd try and do a couple of crawl, rest as I did breast, then a couple of crawl again. The crawl would just wipe me out. Think I managed to get to 4 consecutive crawl lengths. But all those cardio gains are gone now.

Does any user have good recommendations/sources about increasing distance/stamina? I've done some swimming courses trough college so my technique should be okay.. but after 30 mins of laps I'm completely exhausted though my distance or speed don't increase

Swimming is gonna give everybody here a heart attack

I am impressed on how many replies and none of them tells you:
>weight loss
is about 90% what you eat and 10% what you sport. So go read sticky and figure out how much do you eat if you want to lose weight.

Also for swimming, I go crawl (free style) and when I started my only goal was to keep swimming no matter what for 1 hour straight. Later I found out it is ~2000m for me. At start I felt like zombie after 1 hour of slow crawl. In time I began to speed up and even after 1 hour I feel like I can go on. So you will mainly increase your stamina.

Swimming will give you some muscle, but if you want to be otter mode or better, you better start lifting and throwing some magic powder in too.