How do I add to my routine? Should I go to the gym?

Hello. I have worked up to a routine that looks like this:

Every other day workout:
>4 sets of 12 pull ups
>4 sets of 25 push ups
>3 sets of 40 crunches

Every other day cardio:
>Run 3 miles
>Bike 8-12 miles through grass and dirt paths in the woods
>In between running and biking days walk three miles

So typically I work out every other day and do cardio nearly every day if you include walking as cardio.

What can I add to this routine besides increasing reps or increasing sets? I could sign up for the local gym but I've never really worked out in a gym before so I won't know how to use the machines or what I should even be doing in the gym.

Note I'm 5'8" and 130lbs. I used to be 149 lbs before I started my routine.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-Adjustable-Weighted-Vest/dp/B015XULAQE?th=1&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=-DqtIxL_ek4&t=611s
youtube.com/watch?v=sak1x1sY27E
youtube.com/watch?v=iKzJZ-vApE0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What do I add to my routine
I have no idea what your goal is so I have no idea what you should do to reach it

Oh whoops I should clarify that for the work outs I do all of those in one day, for the cardio I do one of the three listed that day and alternate every other day.

idk I guess I want to gain weight but I want it to be muscle and not fat. I want to weigh 140 pounds. So I want to gain 10 pounds but I don't want to gain belly fat. I worked really hard to eliminate most of my belly fat and even at 130lbs I still have some left and I feel like if I gain 10 pounds it's gonna come back.

Lookup a routine like stronglifts 5x5 or greyskull lp or some ppl or whatever. Keep the cardio and pushpull ups

london london london

pls be my gf

>what can I add to my routine

I mean, barbell training. Not interested? It's not gonna make you ""too muscly"", trust me.

Just firm you up a little.

> I could sign up for the local gym but I've never really worked out in a gym before so I won't know how to use the machines or what I should even be doing in the gym.

1. Pick a routine you like, recommend PPL for cutting (weight loss)

2. Google the exercises 1 by 1

3. Watch form video

4. Do them!

Look, lose weight until your happy with how lean you are. Keep it up.

Once you're happy with how lean you are, you can gain muscle, by eating +250 calories more than you burn per day.

yes, you will gain fat. But very little.

If you don't want to look fat, then just eat +250 for one month, gain a tiny bit of fat, then eat-250, and lose the fat.

You're not gonna build muscle doing endurance levels of bodyweight exercises and cardio.

Do resistance stuff like weightlifting and try to do a weight that will get you to exhaustion between 8-20 reps per set.

Also, if you want to get bigger, you need to be at a caloric surplus. That means eating more food and doing less cardio. Once you build the muscle mass you're looking for, keep the same routine but eat at maintenance or a little less, you'll lose the body fat but more or less keep the muscle mass.

So I should go below 130 pounds? I looked up normal weight for my age and height and I'm underweight already yet I still have belly fat. I like the way my abs look when I flex them but when I let them rest the belly fat is still visible. I could easily drop to 125. I cut out all snacks and was only eating two meals a day until I hit 130. Now I eat 3 meals a day again so I don't drop below 130.

>eat at surplus
>build muscle and gain fat
>continue until muscle is satisfactory
>eat at deficit
>lose fat, keep muscle

its that simple yo

I guess the part that confuses me is how do I burn fat while staying the same weight? For example, say I eat more and do resistance weight lifting as suggested until I hit 140 lbs. How do I then lose the fat without losing the weight? Once I start eating less again my weight will start dropping. I want 10 pounds of muscle.

Do I need to go past 140 pounds, and then cut until I hit 140? Or do I stop at 140 and just maintain and continue working out and the muscle will replace the fat over time?

>How do I then lose the fat without losing the weight?
What are you talking about? If you lose fat you will weigh less and therefor lose weight. I'm assuming you mean lean body mass.

Look, I'll say it again. Surplus until you're satisfied with your muscle, then cut the excess bodyfat.

>how do I burn fat while staying the same weight

This is inefficient, but possible.

Not gonna get into it because I do not recommend it.

> I want 10 pounds of muscle.

The easiest way to gain muscle is to bulk.

To gain muscle and fat.

Then you cut, to lose the fat.

You've been 'cutting' ,so you're not really building muscle.

>. I want 10 pounds of muscle.

So the most efficient way to do this is going to be to bulk and cut. Trust me. No motive to mislead you.

You don't get 'fat' when you bulk. You gain a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of fat from a +250 bulk for a month. And some muscle. After, cut at -250, and lose the tiny tiny bit of fat you gained. Repeat.

One thing by the way,

>10 lb of muscle

Is a fucking shitload for a female, you don't have high test levels, that's gonna be forever. I don't know much about female bodybuilding but shit, has to be fucking year + MINIMUM

She's talking about fucking body recomp and eating at matienence, talk her out of it, I gotta go to the gym.

I was supposed to leave like 10 minutes ago.

LOOK

OP

EAT AT SURPLUS AND LIFT HEAVY OBJECTS = MUSCLES

EAT AT DEFICIT AND LIFT HEAVY OBJECTS = BURN FAT

YOU'RE NOT GONNA DO BOTH

DO THE FIRST, THEN THE SECOND

SHIT

Ok I think I understand but I'm a guy I never said I was female I guess you thought I was because I am short.

I understand thanks I appreciate it. Please go you are late hurry!

Okay so with the info in this thread, I now understand I must gain weight while I work out, and then when I am happy with how my muscles look I cut weight while still working out, and I keep the muscles I gained.

Will the work out routine in the OP be sufficient for increasing my muscle mass while I gain weight, or will it not be enough and I'll mostly just gain fat and end up right back where I started when I cut again?

I really don't want to go to the gym and be around people unless I have to. I like the peace and quiet I have while I work out.

Didn't even read the comments.
P90x. Then once u can keep up with it. Go gym.

Weight = Muscle weight + Fat weight
When you cut, you're not gonna stay the same total weight. The goal is to lose as much fat and as little muscle as possible. Your weight is gonna go down regardless.

Since you like push-ups and pull-ups, get this:

amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-Adjustable-Weighted-Vest/dp/B015XULAQE?th=1&psc=1

It goes up to 150 lbs in 3 lb blocks.

Start with one block and increase the weight every workout.

Once you start stalling, change to 3 sets of 5 reps for push-ups and pull-ups with the vest and use bodyweight as a warmup.

Also, rotate in some chin-ups for bicep work.

Oh, and add in squats with the vest for legs.

Endurance exercises aren't good for mass, so no. You'll just burn a lot of calories and stay where you are.

Put some headphones in and go to a gym.

What are the purpose of endurance exercises then? I admit I did no research at all until now towards working out. I just decided I wanted to lose weight and did exercises I was familiar with and then started adding sets and reps.

Where do I start at the gym? What are some routines that will cover all the bases and that I can start small and add sets and reps like I did with the push ups, pull ups, and crunches?

I am guessing bench press and curls will be part of it, what else?

>What are the purpose of endurance exercises then?
Endurance. If you do a lot of running you'll eventually be able to endure doing a lot of running. If you do a lot of pushups you'll eventually be able to endure doing a lot of pushups.

It can also translate to other things. If you do a lot of endurance arm exercises you'll be able to carry shit further, for example.

As for routines, again it depends on your goals. I do the 5/3/1 routine for strength which basically comes down to doing one compound lift for strength (like 3 sets of 5 squats) and some assistance lifts for hypertrophy (like 3 sets of 12 leg presses to help with squats).

Check out these videos and pick one that sounds good for you
youtube.com/watch?v=-DqtIxL_ek4&t=611s
youtube.com/watch?v=sak1x1sY27E
youtube.com/watch?v=iKzJZ-vApE0