How important is this shit?

how important is this shit?

I started lifting 5 months ago and haven't stretched a single time, lifts have been going up, no injuries.

I don't see the point of stretching.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pgL8GkzpNsw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You'll understand once you get older or hurt yourself the first time.

I'm supposed to stretch before or after lifting?

I think shoulder and tricep could use some stretching after pressing...

where/how should I go about getting a stretching routine Veeky Forums?

very important and beneficial. Look at nature, every animal thats a vicious alpha predator stretches immediatly after waking up

After.

Both. If stretching/warming up wasn't important. Olympic level athletes wouldn't make it a point of doing it every time before they play/workout.

Stretching and warming up aren't the same thing.
Warm up before, stretch after.

Stetch before but don't holding it for too long. Just until you feel it, hold for a few seconds and change. Then repeat after the workout but try to hold for 30 seconds each.

I can't say whether it;'s from a lack of stretching but my back is fucking munted at the moment. So stiff and I now have to stretch for about 10 mins a night before sleep or I just feel like my whole back is super stiff in bed.

stretch everyday, you will thank yourself in 30 years when you have less aches and pains than everyone else

dynamic before, static after

Don't waste your time , while you stretch CHAD is DOING CURLS and getting all the girls CMON LETS GET BIG

I bulged discs in my back due to bad posture before I ever started lifting if I knew stretching and good posture played a roll I would've streched everyday. You'll understand

I do a mix of dynamic and static for 25 minutes before I start lifting. I do Oly lifting so I have to be that loosey goosey but if you just lift for aesthetics I'd imagine a quick 10 minute dynamic warm up should be enough.
Dynamic before, static whenever you want.

> static stretching before lifting

holy shit, are you retarded?

If this isn't bait, 5 months isn't really long enough to get injured doing anything.
You could say the same thing for lifting form. Even with shit form on everything it's unlikely you'll get hurt before you start lifting relatively heavy shit.

That said, I never see people at the gym stretch except when they're waiting for a piece of equipment and want to appear busy.

how is stretching after lifting - when your muscles are hurt and teared apart - a good idea?

Dynamic stretching before, dynamic and static stretching after every workout. I played sports my entire life, warm-up is part of my training.
Im very flexible by lifting standards and intend to keep it that way.

Every professional athlete stretches after his workouts, how this is even up for scrutiny is beyond me.

I'm a 28 year old former zac effron mode dude in looks and body, and in the past 6 months i've had to have a subacromial decompression in my shoulder, and tore my meniscus.

I never stretched

prepared to get fucked eventually and consider an hero

I stretch every day I go to the gym and I can bend over and press my palms flat against the floor. Other then that it hasn't really done anything for me, I usually do stretches to cool down from my warmup cardio before lifting

I went from flexible as fuck to leg pains & cramps, can't-scratch-my-back, can't lift dumbbells properly because of tight lats and shoulders etc all within 1 year of lifting

Stretches and flexible lifts are slowly bringing me back to normal but yeah, start sooner rather than later.

>and I can bend over and press my palms flat against the floor.
Tell me more

It's important if you're too tight to be doing some lifts.

If you've never stretched a significant amount, then it'll be helpful to develop enough mobility to have proper form. Other than that, I don't stretch either.

>start sooner rather than later

This. Start stretching now, and stretch every day. 95% of people in the gym cant even reach their toes with straight legs.

Enjoy your stiffness when you start lifting even heavier. Also, do dynamic stretches before your workout, then static afterwards.

please warm up and stretch every day, you don';t wanna get a massive spasm in your trapezius like I did.

OP here:

I always warm up in my lifts, however stretching was never necessary. I don't see the point in becoming more flexible in something that I am already flexible enough to achieve proper form.

everyone on fit should be foam rolling and stretching their hip flexors and pec major/minor at the very fucking least

Can doing this fix my bad hip and bad posture and my bulged disc

i bet you dont do cardio either, you massive fgt

dynamic stretch before, static stretch after

read the fucking sticky.

yes

enjoy the trip to Snap Fitness

>I don't see the point of stretching.

the problem is mobility, you lack it.

you won't see this now, you'll think you can ass to grass squat... or that you can overhead press. but the truth is you can't... i know because you're asking this question.

its not about whether you care about these lifts, its about whether you physically can perform them, whether your athletic or just a gymcurlbro.

A recent study came out that said people who stretch all the time have about the same risk of injury as people who don't stretch, and interestingly enough it is the people who stretch only some of the time who have the greatest risk of injury.
So either do it and always do it or don't.

bro.. I do... and even in cardio I don't stretch

really don't see the point

>What's wrong with smoking? I've been doing it for 6 months and haven't gotten cancer yet

I never used to stretch either so I know where you're coming from, but stretching/foam rolling/mobility work are very important if you plan to stick with lifting or any kind of exercise long term. Although if you're anything like me, you'll probably have to learn this for yourself the hard way

I had to learn the hard way about form and stretching.

it depends

it can help though

to get to the bottom of your bad hip and bulging disc you'd want to see a quality physical therapist and chiropractor

Bulging discs can be alleviated with traction (ins some cases) in addition to exercise and proper care / soft tissue work

I'm actually in physical threapy and using a traction machine my back still aches bit I am hoping it improves at least it let me know my posture was shit

There is not a one good solid argument in this thread for me to start stretching.

if you dont stretch before and after ure killing yourself. if youre active you should do it everyday

If you can comfortably be in every position you need to be for squatting/deadlifting/benching/whatever you don't really need to stretch, if you can't then you probably do need to. Stretching is one thing that there's just so much misinformation on if it's useful or not, or if people even do it correctly. One of the few good sources I've seen is this guy and his channel. youtube.com/watch?v=pgL8GkzpNsw

>If you can comfortably be in every position you need to be for squatting/deadlifting/benching/whatever you don't really need to stretch
thats just wrong

WAT BIG TO GET BIG CMON

the deeper you get into lifting, the more streching makes sense

but when I first started, I didn't stretch at all, I was bulking majorly, and doing so many warm up sets that I counted it as stretching.

you will stretch when you need to imo, but it depends on your goals and priorities. once shit starts lagging, add a stretching component to your workout where you just experiment with things, see how it all works.

once you become a more advanced lifter, you will be able to pinpoint things and have specific mobility concerns corrected for.

great come back, if you're comfortable in the positions you need to be what exactly are you trying to fix?

it warms up your muscles for one. which reduces cramping, and the potential for pulled or torn muscles/ligaments. it prepares the body for max oxygen delivery to all the muscles which improves performance.

getting properly warmed up is key to engaging all your muscle groups when lifting/working out.

CMON!

Dude wtf its everything.

I made zero gains before I started stretching, gain 30 lbs of lean muscle in 6 months when I started.

Muscle fascia motherfucker

these exercises dont cover all the motions a fit person needs to be able to perfom to be fit and healthy and prevent injury reliably

5 SPOONS C'MON

fucking minimum bruv

You don't need to stretch more than what you already need. Only important one imo is just heel to butt. 90% of people can't touch their toes. Hamstring is not really needed unless you play sports and run. Having a flexible need doing heel-to-boot is important though. Also if you do atg you better have stretched ass

GODDAMMIT

also tight hips. Just do a lunge stretch and you're good to go. If you take stretching seriously you're just going to waste time. Just do 2-5 minutes of post workout stretching for some gains. Don't do some wastefulshit like bodybuilders Piano who do 30 minutes of stretching everyday so they can suck their own dick. Fascia is not needed.