ITT: stupid things you did as a beginner (in your first year of lifting)

ITT: stupid things you did as a beginner (in your first year of lifting)

>bought and use protein powder and preworkout (instead of just drinking coffee)
>when cutting, restricted calories waaay too low. around 1400 cals for a 6'2 male lifting and doing cardio
>did a retarded bro split where I would hit one muscle one time a week, with about 5 or 6 random exercises
>started fat, lost 80 lbs. when I was in the middle of my huge cut, I would be super strict. I would feel like a failure if I drank a small cup of diet coke, even though it has virtually no negative effect on the cut
>Focused way too much on eating a lot of protein. I would eat a can of tuna instead of eating a balanced meal with a lot of carbs. Was afraid of carbs
>wasn't using a squat plug. Luckily a found an old squat plug in my mom's stuff. I guess she used to lift a while ago.
How about you?

Lifted for women

wait...i am still kinda doing that. what is the problem with it?

I mean, I know it is stupid to lift thinking it is going to completely change your luck with women and you'll become some alpha chad, but I think it is okay just to stay in shape to be more appealing. In my case it is to prevent myself from becoming fat

You gotta lift for you, if you lift for women and they don't come it'll break you, they do come and you start to slack off since you made it.
>disregard women
>acquire asthetics

bump. no one cares to share?

Put more emphasis on workout intensity rather than consistency

As rippletits explained it: "Preforming instead of training"

>almost killed myself on elliptical, heartrate meter said 220 or some shit
>never did deadlift, we were never taught of that in high school zozzle
>never did squat, just did leg press and hamstring curls
>back of neck lat pulldown
>I did the same eat a lot of protein
>bought preworkout and protein shit even though I didn't know what I was doing

>Over trained, didn't realise it was really a thing or didn't think I'd be able to do it.
>Doing some stupid split thing a pt gave me
Ended up fairly weak and was sick all the time, most of my bulking phase was just fat started 55 kg, went to the highest of 70 kg and now 63 and maintaining, I should have more muscle desu

bump

Used machines.

machines can have their place. for face pulls with a tricep rope. can be used for arm accessory.

I agree, free weights and weighted body weight stuff is better, but you can make good use of certain machines.

>220
For how long?

I really only use machines for training my back, but my gym is full of all kinds of machines I've never even tried.

Why shouldn't you drink protein shakes?

a lot of them are retarded, like a bicep curl machine. Just use a free weight lol.

But the lat pull down machine is really useful, especially for women and older people who want to lift, but can't really do chinups or pull ups.

>elitist wannabes: the thread

Why don't you faggots post some photos so we can see how your elite training and diet is working for you

I did weights all 4 years of highschool and only the football kids did deadlifts.

They don't teach you dlifts bc you don't need them when learning basics nor do you need it if you're not trying to get buff as fuck. Most ppl who go for aesthetics don't need dlifts either.

lol. I am not claiming to be elitist at all. What makes you think that? I am actually just mentioning mistakes I myself have made. I am making myself look stupid. I am doing this to give advice to others and to have a little fun.

I am saying that we are all human, we all did silly things when we first started. I am just trying to have a little fun and maybe get some good advice out of it.

>warmed up with the bar
>squatted ATG
>didn't tip the receptionist
>benched with dumbbells
>deadlifted without a spotter

Yet bicep curl machine doesn't train back.

Please post you back-day routine.

Oh. I see. It seems like I implied bicep machine trains back, but I didn't mean to. I meant to imply that a lot of machines in general are stupid, not just back ones lol.

But for my back, I really only do two excersizes. Chin ups and face pulls. I lift 3 days a week full body. I focus on progess overload. Adding reps until I get to 10 reps, then I add weight and lower the reps. Then I try to get to 10 reps again and repeat the same process.

in a year you're going to be posting this as your "stupid things you did"

Did SS without eating and then wondered why I was so weak

Cut on 800 calories and lost all my muscle

Current mistake was I over ate and now I have a bit more fat than I'd like.

Coffe is gross and makes you have to shit and gives you the breath of a homeless man.

Nothing wrong with pre workouts. And a shake is a fine meal replacement in a pinch.

What? Are you implying my back training is stupid? Chin ups, face pulls, and also deadlifts (which also hit back) applying progressive overload 3 days a week is a perfectly good way to grow a back. If you are implying that is stupid you really know nothing about training

I don't have a back day, because I am not stupid. I train full body 3 days a week. I am the OP. I know more than you pal

You're a fucking fag is what you are. Ooooh a strong lifts program talk down to us oh well lifted one...

cock sucker

lol. There is something seriously wrong with you kid. Unprovoked and very bitter.

I wasn't talking down on you at all. I was being light hearted the whole time until you implied that my back training was stupid. That pissed my off because you called my training stupid for no reason.

You just said it to be an asshole. Something is going on in your life that is causing you distress. Insulting people and perfectly good training programs on an anime forum is an odd way to vent your anger and frustration! I hope you feel better kid!

Can someone tell me what's wrong with squatting ATG?

I hope you die in a car fire you cunt.

im a noob. whats wrong with protein powder?

I still use protein powder in my homemade mass gainer, and I like pre workout but it's a ripoff. Now I just drink one or two glasses of coffee or espresso.

This.

Anyway.
>Didn't squat cause tight hamstrings instead of just stretching them.
>Just general shitty form
I'm becoming a PT now so relearning a bunch of shit.

Warming up with the bar is fine, it's a dynamic stretch. Gets your synovial fluid moving, but you could just do any number of other movements to have the same effect.

You're more likely to injure yourself and it doesn't improve muscle growth/strength growth significantly. Going 90/110 degrees is completely fine.

Thanks bb

It puts a lot of stress on your knees that might be spent better elsewhere, like playing with your future children. With ATG, you are putting unnatural stress on your ACL and meniscus, which means that you are going to quickly wear them down and inflame them, making future squats more painful, and more likely to cause further injury, b/c your form will be off.

My doc explained it to me kind of like this; your knees are brake pads. They are really good brake pads, and they can last you your whole life if you treat them gently. But by putting a lot of wear and tear on them (like with ATG, rucks, etc.) you dramatically reduce their lifespan.

He followed up this advice that my lifting days weren't over, I just had to be more careful about the lifts I did. Do seat-squats, do deadlifts, do OHP, there's so many other exercises to be done other than ATG squats.

are you me? coffee is so GOAT i drink 2 cans a day now

Nothing wrong is just that in most cases you can get enough protein from food.

>didn't invest in squatting jeans, thought they were just a meme

people think its magic when al it is is a dairy product

thought the clamps were 4 wrist exercise

Because Veeky Forums is retarded

>I am not retarded
>I train full body 3 days a week

Babby's 1st program

>coffee
>cans

U wot

Did starting strength. Fell into the squats and deadlift meme of super strong lower body and weak upper body.

I just started lifting again 3 months ago just focusing on upper body and now I am breaking upper body PBs left and right and looking better.

514s are GOAT
they contain my thighs and their more forward pockets don't make my hips look huger than they already are

Like I said...You have the lower body and you have no upper body, you got a problem building...wait a minute. You have the upper body, and you have no legs, you got a problem building your legs. You have the upper...you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, the upper body, it is easier to build. So if you have the lower body and you don't have the upper body, it is easier to build the upper body. You have the upper body and you don't have the legs, you got a problem building the lower body... No, you don't understand. You have the upper body, but you don't have the lower body, you got a problem building downstairs. You got the up- legs on the bottom, it is easier to build on the top, so you don't have much as a problem. Yeah

>GG,YH!

When I started lifting in high school I never did squats diddlys or anything involving glutes (had bad knees cause I was like 300 pounds when I started and played football tennis and wrestled) only did heavy leg press for legs. So my legs got big but my glutes are basically non-existent. I look ridiculous with big legs but no fucking ass. Pants constantly falling down because of it. I am still working on building them now, it is annoying as fuck having a lack of ass holding back my squats and deadlifts. Any good glute exercise I should throw in besides weighted bridges?

>stupid things you did as a beginner (in your first year of lifting)
Pretty much everything. I have gone to the gym many different times in the past, but now I discovered this board just months ago , and realize I lacked too much knowledge about fitness. Many people does.
I read the diet part of the sticky and learned a lot (plus more researches on the internet) and now I swear I know much more about nutrition than the average person. I gained a few kg of fat so now I have respectable weight. I'm eating much better and healthier than ever. Learned about supplements.
Now recently almost finished the sticky and know what to do in the gym, and what to not do. In fact today was my first day in the gym in a long time and finally worked out properly.
Some things I did wrong were:
>not eating well at all
Literally didnt know about nutrition facts of foods, the daily amount needed of micro and macro nutrients, and what are the good sources to get them from. Didnt know how to cook almost anything.
>using machines
>doing exercises wrong and never asking for help to the guy/woman in the gym
>bad sleep habits
>not following a concrete, correct program and doing things like 4 series of 15-20 reps with not heavy enough weight
>didn't know about the difference between simple and compound exercises
>suffered from anxiety which I couldnt control by myself for many reasons and was a smoker for three years
Now I have fixed all these problems and more, thank god.

>didn't realize the benefits of preserving body's protein by drinking my own cum after fapping

I have a lot of trouble eating (crohn's disease) and using a gainer shake actually helped me put on 3kg in 5 weeks. I can finally see myself getting bigger, senpai

pre workout with dmaa is way better then coffee

I started doing 200x3 curls with babyweight

Why would you try and eat Chron's disease you fucking idiot lmao

>>wasn't using a squat plug. Luckily a found an old squat plug in my mom's stuff. I guess she used to lift a while ago.

Chinups, facepulls and deadlift isn't enough, even if you're a beginner. You gotta do rows and/or pullups.

>wasn't using a squat plug. Luckily a found an old squat plug in my mom's stuff. I guess she used to lift a while ago.

Subtle. Took 50 posts for somebody to notice it.

Another thing that needs to be factored in is that you cannot dismiss biomechanical realities. Someone with shorter femurs and a long torso can go far deeper than someone with long legs. Try a wider stance and flare your knees more if you have trouble going deep.
Every body has different proportions. Dont see squat as an exercise to be performed with a narrow stance and toes pointed straight forward. Look at it is a movement that engages numerous muscles. This helped me find a squat position that feels natural to me

Are you kidding me?
Drink black coffee before the gym. Do NOT drink per workouts. The cause a ton of problems including arteriosclerosis which hardens your heart's blood vessels.
Don't listen to this faggot

Future knee replacements. Every doctor I've ever met all agree parallel is all you need. Not to mention that It is unnecessary to go any further

came to post this

citation needed

Fellow former fatass, I did almost everything you described there.

Except I'm still cutting at around 2000 calories a day and 900 calorie burn cardio sessions in addition to lifting.

My first 2 years were fucked in all honesty because I hopped on the full on strength training meme train and thought I was superior to everyone else.

>Did SS for a literal year. Initial progressed to fast and then pretty muched banged my head against a wall metaphorically in order to make gains.
Ended with:
Bench Press - 210x3x5
The "The Press" - 125x3x5
Squat - 290x3x5
DL - 345x1x5

>Hopped on 5 / 3 / 1 (BBB) and literally made next to ZERO progress in ~7 months. Added about 20 to 30lbs to various lifts. Deadlift started to stall out so I definitively decided "this program is garbage".

>my diet consisted of 6 months of insane dirty bulking, 4 months of insanely calorie restricted cutting, and 2 months of maintaining ~13%bf at 173lbs. I thought this was legitimately ok because you need roids to go below that body fat percentage.

>thought only accessory movements you need are Chinups, CGBP, Goodmornings, and rack pulls

>thought running was stupid and a waste of time

>thought compounds were enough for abs

>thought stretching was dumb even though I have literally the tightest and shittest hamstrings known to man. Even went to deadlift snap city multiple time because of shit mobility to the point where I needed surgery for a sub herniated disc.

Please learn from me guys. Don't be a stubborn meme spouting faggot... ;_;

Is squat plug actually a thing?

Well I did my research and shit and got pretty mad gainz in the first 9 months. Then I decided to cut and took it extreme, lost 10kg in a month and took a lot of muscle with that and became a normal looking pre gym normie. Now after 2 months of doing nothing I gathered the motivation to get my shit together and do it right this time

Typically you can get all the protein you need in eating a balanced meal. A lot of people like to think just drinking a protein shake is all the need, and they don't need to focus on a good diet or anything. These people typically eat shit food all day and then have a protein shake and make themselves feel like they've actually accomplished something nutrition-wise. Basically, no matter how big you are, you only need 120 grams of protein a day for sufficient muscle growth. Too much protein is something we don't really know the long term effects of, so it's better to just eat what you need to eat and not go overboard.

Also, some of the top protein powder brands have been inspected and have been linked to causing heavy metal buildups in the kidney.

chest everyday,not joking

Thanks bro I'll do the opposite

Ate a lot, lifts went through the roof, but I got too big, people looked at me like a freak. Wasn't really fat in that I didn't have a belly (big frame) but still you just look huge, it's not professional in the workplace.

Didn't really study form videos or anything much before I started. I'm sure people were laughing at me. My squats in particular were really bad.

Yeh but it's no-where near the size of a buttplug lmao

Did you develop a postural abnormality? Did it look funny?

>did a retarded bro split where I would hit one muscle one time a week, with about 5 or 6 random exercises

Ok the part where you do it one time in a week is stupid but whats wrong with doing 5 or more exercises for one part of the body?

I do it with my triceps abs and biceps

ye it didn't help my posture

I followed my "bodybuildider" friend who put me on a brosplit that contained deadlifts for 12 reps, no shoulder apart from lat raises and alot of machines. Needless to say no gains were made.

I've never seen a preworkout without caffeine...

You guys mind telling me what your bulk / cut routines are like?

>get into fitness Sumner before my junior year of high school
>5'5, 130 lbs
>decide I need to cut
>run 3 to 8 miles everyday after school. Diet consists mainly of broccoli, spinach, and celery.
>drop to 115 lbs, certifiably anorexic daily calorie intake

Thank goodness I found Veeky Forums and read the sticky

30 minutes

Yes, you could blow your ass out with any squat over 100kg. There should be a sign on your squat rack. Ask at the desk, they rent them for €1 a week, or free if you get a one year membership in Ireland

Using your mom's plug is fucking disgusting mate. Lick it and cum on it instead.

Hip thrusts

didn't lift weights for lower body, I ran 10 hours a week instead. still only use the treadmill for legs.

>bought and use protein powder and preworkout (instead of just drinking coffee)
>>Focused way too much on eating a lot of protein. I would eat a can of tuna instead of eating a balanced meal with a lot of carbs. Was afraid of carbs
oh shit this is me except I'm not afraid of carbs. Subbing protein shakes for a whole meal has helped me keep weight off.

borrowed a friends squat plug
was old and worn out
blew my ass out