What do Veeky Forums thinks about calisthenics?

What do Veeky Forums thinks about calisthenics?

fit hates it
I love it cause im a socially anxious bitch

Isn't it a lot of stretching and bodyweight?

Hope some anons know more than I do about it because I'd love to hear about it, looks like fun doing handstands and stuff

Stretch you fuck
Anyway yea, its essentially a bunch of bodyweight shit. You start at easy shit like pullups and learning handstands and shit. Then you work towards learning harder variations of shit, or doing shit on rings or adding weight. Also learning new movements like planches or iron crosses or w/e

My ankles and calf muscles are all fucked and I can't even get halfway down to a squat

Been looking at ways to stretch that specifically and found some stuff from calisthenics videos that seems to work

I can't even walk flat-footed as it is now

I came back to Veeky Forums after many months away to ask the same question, you've done my work for me.

I just moved away from home (and my gym) to a new place, but because of all the disruption across Christmas it would be a waste of money to join a new gym before the new year.

Is bodyweight going to do anything for me (besides endurance) if I do harder variations (pseudo planches etc.) in a regimented fashion and eat plenty?

that tennis elbow tho

That sucks to hear, just be consistant with the rehab brother, youll heal up

we have an old fat guy who does this with one bottle in the middle of town

do you have a photograph?

The planche is a straight arm position.

Only after you've mastered that can you do planche push-ups.

By then your connective tissue is so strong that you will likely never get anything like that.

he has elbow under his torso though

Just a matter of balance

Read Convict Conditioning, it basically teaches the calisthenics workout used in gyms
He emphasizes that calisthenics are natural movements and lifting are not

I've read that book. Some good advice, good mindset, and great exercises, but I believe it overplays the "unnaturalness" of weightlifting.

Don't read convict conditioning, at least not as a serious calisthenics routine. Some of the philosophy is okay, but the routine is complete shit.

100% not.

This guy is correct.

A true planche is an incredible feat of strength with a relatively minor need for balance.

Why is it shit ?
I am thinking of switching to the r/bodyweightfitness routine anyway

Because it says you should do 2x30 reps for many of the exercises, and there are way too many progression steps as well.

If you're looking for a decent bodyweight routine, use pic related instead.

Did calisthenics for a year, after going to the gym for a year

It was fun, felt more free and creative, training outside was nice. I really did enjoy it. But I made little gains. Im a naturally skinny guy, so it didnt do me much good. I personally need weights to put on size. I go back to the gym now for 3 months and gained more size than I did in 1 year of calisthenics. And I really did take it serious.

If youre a naturally big guy, calisthenics is nice, you could get pretty ripped doing it. If youre a naturally skinny fag like me, I wouldnt recommend it

sure, your body doesn't care if you lift weights or your own bodyweight

nice party tricks

Manlet

Body weight exercises are safer than free weight exercises because no external stress is placed on the spine. Their is also a good argument to made that the strength they build is better for day to day life because they are more 'natural' and also require balance.

But it is far more difficult to do progressive overload with body weight. as a beginner trying to move from push ups to one arm push ups is difficult as fuck. You also end up maxing out early because once you have mastered one arm push ups you have nothing else to do other than add volume.

I think convict conditioning suggests progressing from a one arm push up to a one arm handstand push up but that is like progressing from bench press to over head press, they are entirely different exercises.

Free weights are still king but body weight can be a useful addition to them.

Don't worry about the progressions yet, or plateauing, just start doing pullups. Do as many as you can until failure. It's hard, and you will see results.

Veeky Forums hates it. Either because lift mentality only or some douche tries to hype it up as a replacement for everything lifting.

I love it and practice it everyday. Its inefficient if your goal is get big but satisfying as you make progress on trick X and find yourself balancing better than the previous month.

sounds like you just need to eat more

Literally useless for lower body training.

When I first started getting Veeky Forums, I walked and did body-weight since I was too embarrassed to go to the gym. I follow the startbodyweight progressions and modeled my own routine on common strength training routines like SS and GSLP, trying to achieve balance on all "planes" (vertical push, vertical pull, horizontal push, horizontal pull, legs).

All movements are 3x5-8, once you can do 8 move to the harder variant in the chart posted All you need is a pull up bar and a stable chair and table.

Warmup: at first I walked but then once I got better I did quick circuits of easier movements.

A:
Squat Progression
Horizontal Row Progression
Pushup Progression

B:
Squat Progression
Pullup Progression
Handstand Progression

I got to assisted one legged squats, eccentric pull ups (was fat as fatass), decline diamond pike pushups, decline pushups, one leg inverted rows, before I started barbell movements.

I was doing c25k when I started too, and biking to work. Went from 315-235.

You won't build muscle as efficiently but its' fun and I was able to show off doing handstand holds and shit. At work we had a regular pushup contest and I did something like 45 where the other "strong" fat guys did like 6 before quitting.

Pullups are the hardest part if you're heavy. Focus on those and horizontal rows, they're so fucking good for you.

Also reddit/r/bodyweightfitness is a really good resource. Or it was when I was starting.

Veeky Forums hates because it's hard as fuck and nobody here can actually do any of the impressive shit

Looks cool but I'd rather stick to simpler bodyweight stuff since it's quicker and lets me be more of a cardiofag anyways. Pushups/variations, situps/variations, bodyweight squats/variations and pullups with varying grips is all I need if I just do 1 or 2 variations per main group exercise. Not getting big that fast since I'm a skinnyfag and do cardio but the gains are there.

Its stupid. You become strong 4 your weight/body and weak for everything else.

Also their legs are laffable.

Tricks are stupid planche is stupid everything i stupid.

Only being big mofo is good.

Bless ya all im out

something outside of fit's ability to delay gratification. Don't get me wrong weights are best bang for buck but calisthenics has advantages,

i signed up for a pl meet in early jan... thinking of doign a more calisthenics based routine afterwards

Monday and friday
Handstand pushups sets of 3 until i cant (once 10 sets, increase rom)
Pullups or chinups same, but adding weight instead
pistol squats 20 each leg

wednesdays
Deadlift ~ 75% 10 sets of 3

thoughts? going to cut for mid feb when i go away to tropics

I think it's effective but a lot of people just do it to show off

cant train lower back/legs with it reasonably

great for upper body

gymnastic rings + deadlifts/squats are god tier

>been trying to make progress with my planche training
>stuck on LMAOtucked planche; can hardly hold an adv. one for more than 5 secs
>down in the pumps so i research online
>"yo the core is heavily involved in here famalam"
>oh shit
>i'm_a_fucking_idiot.tiff
>try tucked planche again
>but this time with aN ACTIVATED COOOREEE
>N-NANI
>THIS POWER IS FAR TOO GREAT--!
>KUSOOOOoooo

heh, turns out dreams are attainable after all

If it's seriously that bad it might be the old Achilles. I'd recommend you get it checked if you don't see significant improvement in the next couple weeks

When I was a 109lbs skelly in May, Calisthenics is how I got my "starting strength" and gains within 2 months. Pull ups, chin ups, dips, squats, step ups, rows and push-ups.

I could not do some exercises like dips as the start and had to rely on negatives.

I highly recommend calisthenics. You truly feel strong when you have total control over your own bodyweight. It's a good thought knowing that in situations of extreme danger like your house is on fire and you have to climb out a high window or you fall off something and are dangling from a ledge, you'll be able to climb up walls or pull yourself up etc. and save yourself relatively easily.

Honestly no matter how much you lift if you can't do five pull-ups, you're not fit. Strongfat people are not "fit".

I personally love calisthenics.
Calisthenics alone can get you a decent body. You won't look like a bodybuilder but if you just want to be lean and have a little higher than average muscle it's fine. The control you gain over your body is also amazing.
However, if you want alot of muscle and strength weights is the better option. The two will compliment each other tho and mixing them can get you great results.

Calisthenics is mostly performance and not training.

Free weights allow you to increase your strength safely and gradually without risking your joints.

Free weights allow fat people the ability to get stronger while they lose weight.

Many body weight movements are better movement patterns, but they are more useful to an intermediate trainee who has gained the nessisary strength.

hahaha oh man i love how you're saying this stuff all casual, fucking iron cross, when in reality you probably can't do a crow stand

I see thanks man

No problem.
Godspeed user.