Equipment for doing Starting Strength at home

What equipment do I need to do Starting Strength at home?

There are only 7 exercises I need to do if I understand correctly:
- Squat
- Bench press
- Deadlift
- Dips
- Standing military press
- Pendlay row
- Chin-up

For squats, deadlifts, standing military press and Pendlay rows I just need a barbell.

For bench press, I need a barbell and a bench. What bench do you recommend?

For dips and chin-ups, I'm not sure what I should get.

Roids

>For squats, deadlifts, standing military press and Pendlay rows I just need a barbell.
you need a power rack otherwise you won't be able to do squats. plus you can use it for pretty much everything, even pullups. some can even be used for dips.

one big thing about them is protection! you need it for benching at home and heavy squats. no exceptions unless you want to injure yourself

here is what i bought when i first created my home gym
>power rack
>oly barbell
>bumper plates
>dip belt for dips and chinups

wasn't that expensive either. found some great deals online. if you wait like 2 more months you can get tons of shit cheap from new year resolutionists

if you dont switch the squats for front squats(possible) and clean your weight into position youll need a rack

barbell+plates
power rack
bench

buy a high quality barbell. that's where you want to spend your money. next get a reasonable quality power rack. the bench doesn't have to be expensive, and get the cheapest plates you can.

that's basically it. there are no dips in SS and you shouldn't add them. you should do power cleans instead of rows, but that doesn't change the answer to your question.

>there are no dips in SS
yes they are. did you even read the book?

yes, I did. I have it in my hand right now, in fact. Please tell me where it says "dips" on pages 296-297 where the novice routine is described.

they are under assistance exercises which the book suggests you should do afaik

Read the fucking book

No, that's a misunderstanding. There's "SS" the novice routine and "SS" the book. The book is a book about barbell training and describes how to do a whole bunch of barbell exercises. It's not just for beginners, it's for everyone doing barbell training, and many of the exercises are for advanced trainees. The actual novice routine, the one people usually call "SS", is also described in the book. It's a specific routine that contains specific exercises, and it does not say you should pick and choose assistance exercises from the rest of the book. It actually specifically warns against adding anything to the novice routine.

>he actually paid for it

>i bought a book but only read 2 pages and now i'm arguing about the book

A barbell
A squat cage with pull up bar on top
A moveable bench you can put in the squat rack
Weights for the barbell
Mats for the cage and right outside for deadlift

This is literally all you need.

Yeah, I actually bought SS, PP, MOMG and Strong Enough.

I assure you I've read way more of Rip's material (or any lifting material) than you have. I know it's difficult for you to understand that SS is not a book about the novice routine, but that's actually the case.

he is absolutely right though. dips are not a part of the novice routine. pendlay rows aren't either for that matter.

straight from the book
>There is
no chin-up-like motion in any of the five major lifts, yet chins are a terribly useful exercise for
lifters at all stages of training advancement.
>Good ancillary exercises
contribute to functional movement the same way the major lifts do: they work several joints at one
time through a range of motion that, when made stronger, contributes to performance in sports and
work.

even rip himself said in one of the youtube videos that everyone should include assistance exercises but that they are not there to replace the main lifts.

>I assure you I've read way more of Rip's material (or any lifting material) than you have
>lying on the internet

yes, ancillary exercises are important _after the novice stage_. nowhere does rip say you should do them in the novice program

pic related is also straight from the book, dipshit

not even who youre arguing with

Rip states you are free to replace bench with weighted dips, even going so far as to say they are a superior exercise due to full range of motion. And that many powerlifters use weighted dips to maintain strength when injury prevents bench pressing.

they are. you are using so much more muscles in dips compared to bench. not only that, they strengthen the fuck out of your shoulders

To add that, Rip further says the push-ups are a better movement pattern than dips and bench press.

He only suggest dips because they are "easier to load." Now, keep in mind that Rip comes from a time were loaded push-ups = plates on your back. In the modern world, you can get 150 lb weight vest that increase in 3 lbs increments.

With the above in mind, weight vest push-ups could also be used instead of bench press.

Thanks a lot! What should I look for in a barbell? Any recs?

Gomad