I told my friend only retards hurt themselves chopping wood and he told me ive never cut enough wood to get tired and i...

i told my friend only retards hurt themselves chopping wood and he told me ive never cut enough wood to get tired and i dont know.

i made this picture to show him how only a total retard would cut themselves chopping wood and he still wont relent. wat do

I cut myaelf prweety bD once. Ii chop regularly

If you are splitting a particularly large and not dry log, it is better to catch it on the edge so it will more likely split (as opposed to the splitting maul sinking into the center of the log).

You should always have your legs spread when you chop.

There is very little chance of you hurting yourself doing it properly.

>t. chopped a cord of wood by hand back in November

he is right. After you chop wood for 2~3 hours you kinda get tired and after you get tired you make very bad decisions.
I don't chop woods after I get tired. Never again. Fuck woods.

Your friend is rigth, you are wrong, and you probably never did an honest day's labour.

well dang

tfw btfo

Don't worry user, at least you haven't learned this particular lesson the hard way.

Seriuosly, don't fuck around with axes when tired and/or drunk.

Your stickmen's grip illustrates very well that you don't know wtf you're talking about.

SS and GOMAD

You're supposed to use an ax, user

How did he hurt himself?
If he chopped his dick off, you have a point.
If he got some kind of splinter or accidentally hit himself with the axe leaving a small scratch, then he has a point.

Those tiny splinters of wood.
Goddamn

Look, I chopped 2-3 foot thick tall by 3-6foot wide logs with a 5 or 12 pound splitting maul every winter to fill my fireplace since I was 14 years old.

I've never even USED a fucking split to help either.

I will tell you that you have to be both exhausted, chopping at night and completely stupid to badly hurt yourself while chopping wood.
That's just how it is.

Just like working out, you can hurt yourself if youve been going at it for more than 2 hrs as you naturally get tired and begin to lose focus on what you are doing

>i made this picture to show him how only a total retard would cut themselves chopping wood

You agree on this fact, your friend is just looking out for your safety.

I didn't and I'd spend an entire day doing nothing but.

Worked as a lumberjack/landscaper from 13-19, starting as just a loader/unloader, moving up to chainsaw and eventually climbing. Used everything from chainsaws to axes. You can hurt yourself, but really only if you just fuck up. Has little to do with being tired but rather just how careful and experienced you are. When chunking up a larger log to cord it up, it has a lot to do with your angle and making sure your axe doesn't slide or scrape the surface. This is generally true for all chopping. Make sure your stance is balanced and ready in case something goes flying or misses, and make sure you're swinging with a balanced angle so you can control how the axe enters the wood.

So yeah, only a retard inures themselves. Learn how to do it and you shouldn't injure yourself. That said, it is seriously the toughest job I've ever had. Moving thousands of pounds of wood for 8 hours and then deloading that same wood into a dump is fucking exhausting. I worked with the same guy for years and he just gave us a 5 minute lunchbreak to eat, and then it was back at it.

>you can

what happens is people get to comfortable doing it, their grip/stance loosens a bit and shit hits the fan. Happens when you have been doing it for an extended period of time/tiredness/cockiness

Your friend is 100% correct.

Is disappointed that this made me chuckle

This

....Tony?
In Washington?

Were you able to workout when you worked? I cant imagine doing this full time and working out.

Holy shit, not Tony but I am in Washington. City?

What did you cut, your fingers?

It really depends on the frequency. It was essentially just a large hodgepodge of powerlifting, strongman, and bodybuilding exercises. If my boss didn't want to work or didn't have anything lined up, I'd just work out instead. Everything down to the fingers would be sore. But yeah generally recovery was pretty necessary because you'd be doing intense fullbody workouts whenever you worked. At most I'd usually just light pace runs if I had work lined up just so I didn't have any fatigue in my legs and so I could also keep my cardiovascular efficiency up.

Yeah... But I didnt

Live in Tacoma
Worked in Kitsap/Mason county.

Tony was the only other guy there who worked age 14-18/19 like me.

Let me ask you a question:
What is likely to happen in the gym if you use poor form on, say, squats and deadlifts? Answer is obvious: you'll have a higher likelihood of getting injured.

Now, what happens, do you think, if you do too many reps per set of squats and deads, or are starting out very fatigued to start with, even if you normally have good form? Answer is, your form starts to degrade, and the likelihood of injury increases.

Now, knowing this, what do you think happens when you're chopping wood for a long time, and you're getting more and more fatigued as you're doing it? Answer is the same as the above: Your form starts to degrade, and in your struggling to hit the target, you miss and end up injuring yourself with the axe.

Not far-fetched at all.

I used to do this as a young lad when the logs were too thick/long for me to chop in one swing.

Anyone else do/done this?

I always imagined the first swing as beheading someone with a greataxe, and the second as crushing a skull by powerswinging a warhammer.