What is proper squat depth?

I heard ATG is bad for your knees yet it feels better for me, only going to parallel feels like a lot of tension on my kneecap.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rlfKofRWBsw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

lemme guess

you heard it from dyel faggots at the gym, the same fags that always try giving shitty advice on your other lifts?

You are right. What you heard is wrong.

highest sheer force (forces moving against ligaments of knee) occur during quarter squat

highest compressive forces (absorbed by meniscus) occur the lower you go

highest glute, hamstring and quad EMG occur below parallel (90 degrees)

Is there any truth to ATG squatting hurting the knees though?

No.

Going beyond a range that your flexibility can handle in any exercise will be dangerous, so if you CAN'T yet atg with good form it will be bad. But nothing about atg is inherently bad for any part of your body.

layne norton disagrees, that's why he hinges at the hip more instead of bending his knees more.

Does this honestly look like a squat to you?

Layne Norton squats like that because he has shit ankle mobility. Doing it the way he does it is a great way to destroy your back.

Powerlifters only go barely below parallel as going any lower is a disadvantage in competition.

Part of the reason powerlifting is joke but everyone has an opinion lel

i know, he squats like an idiot, i was just being retarded. i'm glad someone called me out on my bullshit.

no this is caused by long femurs

No offense, but Layne Norton is a more trustworthy source than you are. He says he does it this way because he has long femurs and a short torso.

I heard him say that on a bb podcast and he is as well credentialed as anyone but...he's full of shit. Look at that pic. His mobility, flexibility is shit. Obviously. Trust your eyes

Honestly, the man has a phd in his field so he mist be intelligent... but why the fuck does he continue training the way he does when every year he has a injury that puts him out for months on end (bulge disk, neck damage, broken wrist).

if i even thought about attempting that form my back would snap

He snapped his shit up a few months ago though.

Fair enough. Now that I look at him, he is pretty skinny for someone who's been lifting his whole life...

Ok, you've convinced me. Fuck you Norton.

slightly below parallel is good, lower than that is for people who are training for oly lifting. Just don't stop at 90 and your knees will be fine.

some people will never deep squat properly because of shape of their pelvis

squat as deep as you can without buttwink and youll be fine

mobility might be issue for some - push out your legs while in third world squat and force hips forward by flexing ass a little

It depends, but the minimum is parallel. If you powerlift go to parallel and slightly below, otherwise go as deep as your mobility allows

I have long femurs and short torso as well, yet I can hit ATG with no issues. He just has very bad mobility

>What are proportions

fucking mong

Everybody benefits from full ROM, although not everybody can do that. So, no, lower than parallel is not only for oly lifters

I squat sumo and to just below parallel. I try to practice normal width but my mobility is shit. Making progress in squat depth though. Someday I'll be atg. Someday.

ATG is literally safer for knees than just breaking parallel though.
Also if you're flexible enough there's really no reason not to always go ATG.
Well, unless you want to ego lift I guess.

If you can't ATG get squat shoes. They're not a fucking meme.

Why would you go any deeper than is required for three white lights?

>I heard ATG is bad for your knees
don't listen to the faggot bucket crabs at your gym. deload and hit depth and save your knees.

>what is stance width

ATG is only bad if your knees are going too far over your toes, which you'll know is happening because after a few sessions you'll end up with a wicked case of patellar tendonitis.

Stretch your ankles and calves, get some OLY shoes, and squat ATG.

>acronyms
might aswell not post anything faggot

>can't google a 3 letter acronym
nigger detected

Layne "Natty" Norton (PhD, Esq., MD., CQC) is an idiot and the only reason he has any records whatsoever is that USAPL is garbage at testing their athletes.

I had huge acl problems when going atg. Stopped squatting for 2 weeks and now its fine. According to this pic, i shouldve dodged the maximum sheer forces on the acl and yet it was my only problem i had when squatting. Any clue why?

Shear*

He also has blown out every joint in his body and is AGAIN unable to squat more than 225 without pain.

Make sure you go below prallel without pain and with good form

That will look different depending on your proportions

Personally I preffer doing rippetoe squats, not quite ATG but allow you to build a big squat and big legs/glutes

ATG is the best way assuming you have the mobility. If not work at it until you do.

youtube.com/watch?v=rlfKofRWBsw

Klokov is 6ft so dont listen to shitposters about body proportions

What ever your lifting federation calls a clean lift.

The most important thing is that you squat down until the stretchreflex of the hamstrings is activated. And that should be below parallel. If your mobility is that good that you bounce of your calves before you get a stretchreflex you will automatically go ass to grass. Is that healthy? I don't know and i am pretty sure people are still debating that.

The real awnser is everyone is different

layne norton is injury ridden. if i have learned one thing in the world of resistance training, its that PhDs don't mean shit.

i have longer femurs relative to by torso than he does i don't need to do anything like this

i dunno why he does that. maybe it helps him lift more weight. nothing to do with his femurs though. unless his legs are like 75% of his height, he can just let his knees come further forward. his shins are almost vertical.

Clarence is an ugly man

>i have longer femurs relative to by torso than he does i don't need to do anything like this
wut

That's a horrific "squat". What a faggot. Why don't you folks learn to think for yourselves instead of following these pathetic know-it-alls. If a guy that squats like that tries to give me advice I will laugh in his stupid face.

Remember the guy has a phd in nutrition.

HOW DOES ONE ACHIEVE GOD TIER ANKLE MOBILITY?

long femurs isn't the whole story. proportionally long femurs are what are notable.

my proportions are shitter for squatting than that. why is he so adamant on keeping his shins so upright? all he has to do is let his knees come further forward and he won't need to snap his back up (again).

>this guy was lifting for a few years in plg a niche that is terrible when it comes to form
Fitness "industry" is a joke regardless, it's all bro and mom science and actual physical facts and years of experience by actual only lifters get thrown out the window because durr

Fuck my phone, meant pl and oly

A person that squats like this should not be of guidance to anyone, this is practically a good morning and fucks your lumbar in every way imaginable

Depends on the type of ATG. ATG low bar is bad, hurt myself for the first few months of strong lifts. Could be a coincidence, though. Can't imagine it being, because the pain went immediately away after I did highbar ATG instead

High bar ATG is fine.

What a stupid thing to say, Goebbels had a Doctor, even 2 titles, yet a lot of people wouldn't agree with his opinions because they have no basis for the most part in science. Don't get me wrong, I still share his views

Just squat like Olympic lifters, they squat atg beltless even 3 times and more bodyweight atg, they don't pop blood vessels, don't scream like retards don't need chains and cages, just a bar, weight and their platform. Its beauty

I started wearing an expensive brace on my knee and now doing ATG and no problems so far. Deadlifts fuck me up though so I don't do those. The only kick in the balls is that due to the extra depth, I now bench as much as I squat. :/

Lol, how can you have such a fucked up body thst you can't go atg, just like taking a shit squatting

Just stretch and warm up

>I do x because of excuse y and z
Amazing how deluded people can be and to what lengths they go to argue away their shortcomings

He said once that athletes who let their knees pass their toes see more knee dysfunction. I don't see this as being true, but this is his reason for not letting his knees pass his toes

pfft. bullshit. take one look at the entirety of olympic weightlifting then tell me if that's at all accurate or not.

alo, that's pretty rich for a guy who's PhD may as well be in how to injure yourself while squatting like a retard.

one thing they do need, though, is short femurs. ATG high bar without proper proportions is literally impossible for some people no matter how flexible they are.

I'm not sure about the necessity of short femurs. I think if your ankles are flexible enough you can achieve a deep squat position even with long femurs. I olympic lift myself, and have never had any issues with my knees beyond the usual minor tweaks

layne norton is a pussy bitch bloho would beat his ass

Even someone as weak as Connor McGregor could kick his ass

Just vomited a little

yeah bro im sure everyone would be impressed by your 185lbs aye tee gee squat.

>powerlifting

Not even once

>impressed

Annnnd that's the crux of it with you 'powerlifter' tards. You lift to impress other guys in the gym with how many plates you're "squatting".

Enjoy snap city

>I heard ATG is bad for your knees

This is what normies say to feel better about 1/4 squatting

>Annnnd that's the crux of it with you 'powerlifter' tards.

Why do you have to hurt, user? We didn't do anything to you.