Proper deadlift form

proper deadlift form

when i deadlift, do i need to do it with my back or legs?

i can lift a lot less when i pull it up with my hamstrings. but when i mainly use my back i can go way heavier.

in both cases i have a straight back.

Other urls found in this thread:

stronglifts.com/deadlift/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's primarily a hamstring exercise.

is pic related you? I can notice a few bad things about this form

no

It's a leg exercise

lul

The motion in a deadlift is humping your pelvis forward (ie, extending your hips by contracting lower glutes and hamstrings) while keeping your spine isometrically neutral (abs, spinal erectors and upper glute fibers). The bar coming up should be almost ancillary - you want to complete that "air hump" and meet the bar with your junk.

To that end, the spinal erectors shouldn't be a prime mover - they should be isometric .

>do i need to do it with my back or legs
Both, at once.

If you do it with your legs, you get stuck above the knees and can strain your latissimus dorsi, which is painful and hinders gains.
If you do it with your back, you risk going out of position from the get go, so you either get stuck below the knees or strain your lower back, which is snapcity.

so i should just do it?
just like this guys says
just stand up with the bar while my back is straight and hit it with my junk?

whats wrong ?

>deadlift
>leg exercise

it works the posterior chain, you fucking mongoloids. if you're only working your legs then you're only doing half the exercise.

OP the trick with doing the deadlift is to start lifting with your legs. Then when get about 1/2 to 2/3 through the upward motion you use your back to pull it into an upright position.

will that happen automatically if i just lift towards the way of least resistance, while keeping my back straight ?

The spinal erectors uncurve/hyperextend the back, and because you shouldnt do any of these during deads, so they are isometrically holding

correct it works the posterior chain but it primarily works the hamstring more than any other muscle you spaz. and no, you pull up with your legs then once you get to the knees (which is 1/2 the way through the motion, not 2/3) you pull towards your waist and drive your hips forward.

>do i need to do it with my back or legs?
Yes, it's called a hip hinge, it's a full body movement.

More or less, yes. Unless you have some preexisting massive leg/back strength discrepancy, your natural pull should be effective.

Learn to breath properly. Dont breath with your chest but your stomach. Tense your chest

lean back more. your arms are supposed to be streight like a tower

thing of yourself as a see-saw

your back, from the top extending all the way down to where it attached at the pelvis, is the see-saw

your legs/where your legs attach to your pelvis is the lever

you want your hamstrings to pull on that bottom bit of your back, where your back attaches to the pelvis

pulling that down should bring your back vertical and your chest up.

in the lockout position do not round your lower back. hump that bar man and your back should be in a neutral vertical position at lockout, maybe leaning back slightly.

correct

stronglifts.com/deadlift/

Read this OP. Mehdi is autistically detailed about form.

Not everyone's starting position is the same retard. You can't tell shit from two fucking photos.

I actually disagree with a few of those statements he makes but I guess they are good for a beginner.

Still I think every lifter has his own stance width/grip/hipangle/degree of toes pointing out wards and so on.