QTDDTOT - January disaster drills edition

>T-11.
At least we guilted SIR into doing another comic.

Other urls found in this thread:

press.endocrine.org/doi/pdf/10.1210/jcem.81.10.8855787)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>stupid reddit frog mascot in OP

6 days until 1 month of lifting from skinny fat coming up and I'm wondering what my maxes should be like?

I was pretty proud of my bodyweight squat (185) for 2 reps (failed on 3) the other day, is this good? normal?

What am I looking for?

it's a shout-out to a lot of /r9k/ and /pol/ migrating over here during January.
plz no bully.

Go on symmetric strength and find out, but 1XBW squat on your first month is pretty decent.

Can someone post this year's SIR comic?

When someone takes a photo of me, standing straight, you can see that my hip isn't centred but more moved to the right side. How can I fix the scoliosis?

It will be out on new years day.

It's better you take it to a doctor than Veeky Forums.

sup Veeky Forums

I'm started lifting again after a 3 months break because Uni, i'm following SS but the problem is, i'm already stalling at a lower weight on squats and on the others lifts are becoming more harder to lift. Don't know that's wrong since i actually sleep and eat much more than on summer.
Anyway stats: 20M 55kg (kek i know)
DL: 100kg SQ: 80kg (90 on summer with no problems) OHP: 34Kg i don't bench since i have pectus excavatum and bench would make it worse. Should i switch program ou keep trying SS?
> inb4 e-stating

Probably time to move on to TM or PHUL or something with those numbers. As far as not benching goes, how close is your sternum to your heart? Did a doctor tell you not to bench?

thanks for the reply, isn't a bit early to switch to TM? I'm considering the SS intermediate program. Doctor said i don't need surgery and don't have any health implications, desu isn't that bad and i'm used to it.

>55kg
L O N D O N

Well you have a 1.8XBW deadlift and a 1.45XBW squat, that is getting close to intermediate territory. Then again, the high deadlift suggests good leverages or poor form.

How tall are you? BF%?

1,70m / 5,6ft manlet

Deadlift was always easy for me, probably because body proportions dunno

edit: don't know about BF probably around 10~11%

>My right traps is bigger than the left one.
>What do I do to isolate on my left traps?
Anyone?

170cm is 5'7''.

Assuming it's 5'6'' and 10%BF your FFMI is 17.6.
Assuming it's 170cm and 10%BF your FFMI is 17.1.

That's well bellow average even for someone who doesn't lift. Maybe you have a light frame and your underdeveloped chest accounts for some of that, but it's still very low. You must have great leverages to pull what you're pulling or poor form.

Are you sure it's not down to your right shoulder being fucked up? If it's just down to traps then you can do one armed shrugs, do your weaker side first and then only do whoever many reps you managed on the weaker side with your stronger one. It the difference is really big, do some extra volume on weaker side.

Is there a general agreed upon month to begin bulking/cutting or is it down to individual preference goals? When would you say is best for both?

I have a flight on Friday morning, so I might miss a training session. It's volume day on Texas Method and I'm considering doing it tomorrow evening instead.

Sound gucci?

Also I'm considering taking a week off for Christmas. My question is how much should I deload when I come back. Should I even deload at all?

My squat form is starting to become a bit fucked up, but deadlift again isn't a problem.
Thanks anyway will work on my form, deload and hope to overcome this

People tend to bulk over the winter and cut during summer. But that's just an excuse to hide your developing gut under hoodies. It doesn't really matter. Personally I cut above 18%BF (when I start to look like shit, more than usual) and bulk once I'm down to less than 10% (unless it's beach season.)

Unless you're a raw beginner a week off won't make a difference, just work your way up to where you left of, maybe you'll have to very slightly deload, but probably not.

My hip was misaligned and caused my back disc to bulge. Will it heal and will I ever squat again.

Who's looking forward to all the new years resolutioners? Bitches gonna be mirin my lifts, gonna grunt extra loud on my deads and intimidate all the faggots who'll quit 2 weeks in.

how insecure are you man?

Only a doctor and time can tell. But there are quite a few people who came back from bulging disks and squatted again (my uncle for example) but most guys just stick to leg press and I think it's for the best.

fuck off, real questions only

Can I more or less skip a beginner program and go right to an intermediate program? Symmetric strength says my lifts are all novice currently. I was looking at doing PHUL or PPL

Hi Veeky Forums, I have a few goals that I've set by the end of February, and I'd like people's opinions on whether or not they're achievable, I know it comes down to me and how much effort I put in, I understand that, but I just want an outside perspective.

My goals for the end of february are:

40kg OHP 3x5
60kg Bench 3x5
100kg Squat 3x5
140kg Deadlift 1x5
80kg Bent Over Row 5x5

My current stats are:

32.5kg OHP
47.5kg Bench
80kg Squat
107.5kg Deadlift
65kg Bent Over Row

182cm, 68kg, started at 59kg a couple of months ago, reasonable? I'm doing ICF 5x5 at the moment.

Is it normal to curl more than you skullcrush?
If I'm warmed up, but not fatigued from a previous exercise, I can strict curl 50 kg for about 10 but I can only skullcrush 40 maybe 45
my biceps have always been quite stronk (former climbfag) but I'm just wondering if my bis largery overpower my tris

i'd like to know as well

Not recommended, progress is faster on linear programes and you also need to build up your tendons, ligaments and develop things like proper form and MPS efficiency. All things that happen much easier on beginner programmes, strength standards can be a good guideline but they are not what makes the difference between intermediate and beginner.

>goal: 100kg squat / 140kg deadlift
>current: 80kg squat and 107.5kg deadlift
Deadlift is usually 105-115% of Squat (depending on routine and leverages,) 135% and 140% is way too high. You probably have terrible form one or both of those lifts.

>80kg Bent Over Row 5x5, 60kg Bench 3X5
>47.5kg Bench, 65kg bent-over Row
Nigger what the fuck are you doing? Bench and Row should be theoretically equal for good shoulder health - but since the Row (especially the bent-over variants) are inherently much less stable positions than Benching, it is acceptable for rows to be 10-20% lower than bench. Having a significantly higher Row (and at higher sets) probably means that you have terrible form on one or both lifts.

I'd say it's not reasonable and you're going to get hurt because you have bad form.

you'll most certainly reach them, you've still got some noob gains so make the best of them, if you eat enough and workout at least 3-4 times a week you'll surpass your goals
one more thing, your bent over row seems to be waaay ahead of your other lifts, are you sure you're using proper form? even if it's a pendlay row it still seem to be to high compared to your other lifts

Depends, usually people have underdeveloped push muscles and everyone loves doing curls (plus it's easier to cheat a bit on curls) so it's not uncommon for people to curl a bit more than they skullcrush.

I heard from someone here that as a novice it's fine for your lifts to be imbalanced and you should give it longer time for them to balance out, my form is good on all the lifts, I'm purposefully holding back on adding weight on certain lifts for the simple fact that I want to prevent injury.

What exercises can I do with no equipment to build strength before I can get access to a gym (1 month probably)?

>it's fine for your lifts to be imbalanced a bit if starting out
is very different from
>it's fine for your lifts to be terribly imbalanced months after you started training

>my form is good on all the lifts
Then you have the weirdest leverages ever or a genetic defect/injury in your quads. What do you think is more likely?

Either use shit you have lying around (lift cans/buckets filled with water/sand) or do calisthenics.
There is a good calisthenics progression chart and routine, should come up on google.

been lifting for almost 2 months, 1 rep max on squat is 205 and i weigh around 143 at 5'10. is that good or bad?

It okay.

I hurt my hip squatting, I was pushing a new pr when I know I shouldn't have been, and I really think I hurt my hip joint. What are the chances?

Also I'll add, for a week after my left hip was really hurting walking down stairs and stuff, not even my quads. This injury happened a month ago and my squats still aren't back to what they used to be

Please be a little more vague.

Describe symptoms in detail:
Do you feel pain? what kind? where? is it constant, occasional or does it only happen during squats?
Have you lost any mobility? or maybe strength?
What happened exactly?
How long have you been lifting?
Stats?
Have you ever had hip injuries before?

But people here can only make educated guesses based on their own experience, if you want to make sure go to a doctor.

Where can I go to get good info about test?

e.g:
1) How do I measure test?
2) How does test vary with age?
3) How does test vary by gender?
4) How can I increase test?
5) Should I want to increase test?
6) What exactly does test do?

>1) How do I measure test?
By having a blood sample taken and sent to a laboratory.
>2) How does test vary with age?
It usually peaks around age 18-20 and then slowly but constantly drops year after year.
>3) How does test vary by gender?
Men have a whole lot more.
>4) How can I increase test?
Either by making positive lifestyle changes: eating healthier, not being too fat or skinny, lifting, getting rid of stress, sleeping properly, having sex, being succesful. Or by way of injecting it.
>5) Should I want to increase test?
How the fuck are we supposed to know, probably if you like putting on muscle and being confident.
>6) What exactly does test do?
For a full answer you'll need a degree in biochemistry and endocrinology. The gist: It makes you more muscular, more confident and dominant, allows your benis to work, makes you horny, makes your skin rougher and makes your beard and bodyhair grow, deepens your voice etc.

Okay so in detail, I pushed a PR of 185 squat at the gym when I know I shouldn't have, I was cutting, and doing stronglifts 5x5 (I know its stupid but I was just doing it while getting ready to bulk up and do SS for 3 months) and afterwards, and for a week onwards I felt a dull pain resonating form my hip. Not so much my muscles. For a week afterwards I had some pain walking, which amplified while walking up or down staircases. I tried going parallel into a squat form and it really hurt. After a week I was able to go parallel with barely any pain, another week I was able to go parallel with no pain, but when weight was added it would ache again. Its been about a month, and since then I've been able to start squatting with like 100 on my back, 120, so i'm making progress, but I can still feel the same ache sometimes when i'm squatting. I've never had a hip injury prior to this. I'm actually trying to bulk right now, i've started SS while on a 400 cal surplus, so i'm going up in my bench, OHP, rows, etc but i'm just wondering if I should stop my bulk and wait until my hip feels better again.

Thanks, I know it's just a guess but I just want to know if it sounds like anything youve heard of before.

Are home gyms feasible for beginners? I did SS for a while last year and made some progress but got too busy with work to keep up. I still have my gym membership but kinda hate the time investment in travel/going at inconvenient times to avoid crowds.

test peaks around age 28 though
also: average test or a bit higher than average has no effect on muscle mass
rest is pretty much correct tho

let it rest, try to do nothing intensive with your legs

learn to deal with crowds

Alright, any estimate on how long you think I should leave it to rest? Also does this mean I should stop my bulk and just eat at a maintenance until further notice? I lost 21 pounds so I could do SS for the next 3 months, and make some sick noob gains. Kind of bummed out about my hip though.

> I pushed a PR
This is a bit confusing: on a linear programme every session should be a PR, do you mean a 1RM PR or a 5X5 PR?
>doing stronglifts 5x5 (I know its stupid
It's not. Ignore the memes, as long as you follow the additional advice on the site (like changing to 3X5 at the right time etc.) it's a fine programme.
but I was just doing it while getting ready to bulk up and do SS for 3 months)
You don't need to bulk before a beginner programme, especially not with another one.

> I felt a dull pain resonating form my hip.
Where exactly? If it's near your groin it's most likely a pulled adductor or tendonitis, if it's at the front it could be a flexor. If it is coming from your hip joint (which is hard to tell) then it could be bursitis or a pinched nerve or any number of things.

Does it hurt when you deadlift?

Standard procedure is to assume it's something minor and just rest for two weeks, do gentle stretches in the meantime and take it easy after the two weeks are up, if it reappear do to a doctor.

SL is perfect for the home gym novice lifter. Check out Craigslist and LetGo to see what people are trying to sell for Christmas money.

So its going to sound kind of stupid. I was 185 lbs, I was obese then I started browsing Veeky Forums. I Lost 21 pounds doing cardio + doing SL 5x5 to basically familiarize the exercises for when I think i'm thin enough to start a bulk. During my cut, I completed 5 sets of 5 reps of 185 lbs squats. I think I hurt my hip through that. The pain was felt near my groin, deep in my leg. It felt like it could have been my joint. It didn't hurt to deadlift or pendlay row. Do you believe I should see a doctor? Its been a month now, and its been getting slowly better and better.

>test peaks around age 28 though
Could be, I've heard anywhere from 18-30.
>average test or a bit higher than average has no effect on muscle mass
MPS increases with free test, all other things being equal. The difference between 100pg/ml and 130pg/ml might not be very big, but it's there.

If you have the money to get decent gear, sure. Training just with dumbbells and stuff like a pull-up bar is doable but not optimal - you need a rack/half-rack/adjustable stand with safeties, a bench, a decent bar and some weights, maybe some rubber matting.

How do I know for sure if I am balding? I am asking the already bald dudes of Veeky Forums

>Since July or so see more hairs on the drain after showering, though there is no noticeable thinning (IMHO or maybe I am in denial) or pattern baldness could be observed just yet
>IDK if its just the lighting but when I look in the mirror (with lights above) I could kinda see my scalp
>whenever I pull my hair right now I am able to pull like 1-3 pieces of hair
>just counted the "losses" as I just showered and counted like 35 pieces when I ran my fingers through it and collected the hair (I know I know)

What do? All the males on the dad side of my family is bald, while none of the males on my mom's side is.

>The pain was felt near my groin, deep in my leg. It felt like it could have been my joint. It didn't hurt to deadlift or pendlay row.
Again - only a doc can tell for sure. But going by this it's most likely a deep adductor. Probably due to too wide of a stance or simply due to them having been weak. Rest for about two weeks, do gentle stretching, work way back up.

no idea, could be a problem with a ligament, with an attachment of a muscle, could pretty much be anything so just wait

for it to be noticeable, you need to actually measure the micrograms of muscle mass though
I can't really explain it well but you could watch one of Omar's latest vids where he goes in depth about if high test helps with muscle mass

Can someone check my form?

No matter what I do my last but of stomach fat won't go away. All I want to do is bulk and get my shit going. I honestly am shocked when I see the former skinny fats lose their stomach, it's the bane of my existence.

Dont Go so low you are buttwinking

Not the greatest angle, usually you want to record more from the side.
>The bar seeming uneven on your shoulders is probably down to angle.
>You hit depth and then some.
>Can't tell if your right knee collapses a bit or that's down to the angle.
>Looks like your core could be tighter or maybe it's buttwink.
Overall decent if you're a novice.

Should I postpone bulking for 3 months on SS until my hip is better again?

Stats?

Everyone loses a bunch of hair daily, balding or not. You're not gonna get any answers by pulling out more of it.

form check? My bench is lagging behind big time.

are macros important for weight loss?

some background info: I did keto for awhile but I found it too difficult to maintain in my current situation but I'm unsure on what macros to pick now.

>for it to be noticeable, you need to actually measure the micrograms of muscle mass though
>watch one of Omar's latest vids
I did, I'm going to have to disagree. Of course test boosters are mostly a scam, and of course a high test guy is still going to be closer to low-test guys in terms of MPS than to roiders - but the difference is certainly more than micro-grams looking at the figures.

If a 2000% test increase can increase the combined LM gains trough higher MPS/lower catabolism by 600% (the study he presented in the vid,) and (press.endocrine.org/doi/pdf/10.1210/jcem.81.10.8855787) going from 200ng/dL to about 600ng/dL (300%) can increase total LM by 15%. Then it stands to reason that the response is non linear and subject to diminishing returns. You can draw the same conclusion by looking at someone taking 3g/wk and someone on 1g/wk. So within the normal range +100ng/dL is probably much more significant than +100ng/dl in someone who roids way past physiological doses.

>Not touching chest past the first couple reps.
>Either that bench has a couple screws loose or you're wobbling way too much.
>Can't tell if your arms are at 90% or 45% or in-between at the bottom. Anything over about 60% will end up damaging your rotator cuff in the long run.

He touched his chest literally every rep.

Retract your scapula more. Stop exhaling on the way up. Exhale after you lock out each rep. Then take your breath again, brace, then begin your next rep. Don't exhale again until that rep is complete.
Bring your heels closer to your head. Drive them into the floor and create tension.

Keto is overhyped.

1. Eat enough protein
2. Get enough fats to maintain hormonal balance and joint integrity.
3. Fill up rest of your calorie allowance with mostly complex carbs.
It's no less effective at losing fat and much more conductive to lifting and not feeling like shit.

>He touched his chest literally every rep.
Doesn't look like that to me, first couple of reps clearly hit the chest (maybe a bit too hard) other reps stop just short. Or maybe if bar path isn't consistent and the latter reps go lower on the sternum.

That's touching. He didn't sink it as deep into his chest as his first reps, but the bar is touching.

Well I guess I have shit depth perception then. I could swear it high enough over the sternum to not touch.

pls

1 month into working out and I've been very committed with diet + progress + gym attendance.

I alway follow whatever my friends are doing and it's usually just a brosplit but now that it's xmas break I'm doing my own thing by myself and was wondering about a routine.

I was thinking about doing

Legs/Arms/Back and Chest/arms (no tricep*)/legs with cardio on Sundays

Is this too much? I don't want to overtrain or w/e or not let my muscles rest.

* - idk bro science friendfag said that tricep doesnt need to be hit that often cuz its a "small muscle" probs bullshit

you need to read SS and then you can decide what to do

Read the sticky.

You don't need to bulk anyways as a noob.

the guy talking to you is a fucking retard. you need to eat more. you can probably hit 150/300/350 as a manlet on SS

thanks. And yeah, I could feel the bar on my chest each time.

Is it okay to deadlift before my pull day provided that I only do upper back exercises on pull day?

This is my routine: PPLPPLx
I want to start deadlifting on my leg day and alternate it with squats.

Which of the handles am I supposed to use for chin ups? I can't do any from standstill because I'm too fat and don't have enough muscle, so I've been doing negatives. But the widest ones don't feel right and there are no instructions on the machine specifying which ones mean what.

>the guy talking to you is a fucking retard.
Fuck you too. I'm going by established strength standards, I doubt he's eating too little if he made 3 months of continuous progress.

i have taken these calcium, magnesium, zink tablets for 3 days now and suddenly i only sleep 7-8 hours instead of 10 hours. wtf do these things do ?

The calcium activates the *serotonin* in your body, which controls REM and sleep functions.

Your sleeping more efficiently. Some nutcases take *melatonin* to try to get the same effect, but calcium is much more natural... The other ingredients are synergistic to the process.

>look up Victor Conte's "ZMA" product.

What is a realistic weight for me just decently lean shape not ripped or anything? 6'2 I've been anywhere from 160lbs at 18 to 230lbs now at 25. Cutting to 170 makes me feel like dying.

i used to take zma and it didnt do this at all.

though zma doesnt contain calcium. so maybe thats it ?

these are the contends of my pill
calcium 1200 mg
magnesium 375 mg
zinc 10 mg

it says to take 3 pills a day but that seems massive overkill. recommended daily dose is already at 100% for all of these with only 1 pill.

the mirror

Because you were deficient, 10 hours is way too much for most people.

>ZMA
It's not bad, but its benefits are way too overblown by some.
>"In 2004, a study funded by a research grant from Cytodyne (another supplement producing company) with 42 resistance trained males showed that ZMA supplementation had no significant effects on total and free testosterone, IGF-1, growth hormone, cortisol, the ratio of cortisol to testosterone, or muscle and liver enzymes in response to training. No significant effects were observed in changes in strength, upper or lower body muscle endurance, or anaerobic sprint capacity.

>In another study done in 2006, a team of German scientists conducted a study on the effect of ZMA and testosterone levels in the body. The result showed an increase in zinc secretions in urine making it much darker like blood, but no effect on the level of testosterone in the body."

so probably bout 170 lbs. Guess ill just have to feel like shit for the rest of my life

How are we supposed to know what decently lean means to you?

At an FFMI of about 22 most people are decently muscular, add 12%BF at 6'2'' that's about 195lbs

But if you're overweight - you still need to lose it- fat doesn't turn into muscle, after-all.

you dont understand. i have slept a consistence 10 hours for my entire fucking life.

my parents gave me my veggies and fruits. and shit.

i just cant imagine that i have been deficient for my entire life. especially since i used to drink a ton of milk. (not gomad)

I guess I already know the answer to my own question. around 170-180 lbs. It just seems like ill never have enough muscle to look good at 190

If you reach an FFMI of 22 and have an average frame size - yes you will.

>FFMI
not sure what that means? but what would my lifts have to be like to be 12% at 190. just an estimate

Did the "tfw to intelligent for x" meme originate here?

anyone?

Fat Free Mass Index
(= your total weight in kg - weight of all fat on you / square of your height in meters.)

Roughly:
19 is dyel
20 is late novice
21 is starting to get somewhere
22 is good
23 is ripped
24 is fantastic

My guess is around 2/3/4/5.

>My guess is around 2/3/4/5.
Probably lower rather than higher. Maybe 275 bench.

>2/3/4/5.
Damn thats gonna be a bitch. but thanks at least I have a goal now

Bad news user. It started on /r9k/.

Grip for chins should be a bit wider than shoulder width, palms facing you.

As I corrected myself in , it's probably going to be a bit lower - but that's all approximate (depends on leverages, genetics, type of training etc.) Only one way to find out.

thanks user, I figured I was doing something wrong.