Dips vs Bench press

So are weighted dips good enough for chest development to replace bench press? Cause I'm not keen on getting stuck under the barbell when I fail a rep on BP without a spotter.

I got short overarms and long orearms so i do dips isntead of bench. I dont see any difference in gains.

If you want a good/big chest then bench press isnt the solution anyways. You WILL have to do some form of isolation exercise for it.

do dips+dumbbell bench, its the best option, also consider doing floor press, it will build explosive strength like no other and overloads the triceps far better than any full ROM press does, safe to do too

you might as well not bench press my man

>long orearms
long underarms*

Sure is motivation to not fail your last rep

>If you want a good/big chest then bench press isnt the solution anyways.

wrong

Its part of the solution, but its not mandatory and not needed.

> I'm not keen on getting stuck under the barbell when I fail a rep on BP without a spotter

I don't understand this complaint at all. Rolling the bar off of you ("the roll of shame") is both easy and safe.

did someone say

>weighted dips

just ask someone to spot you on the last few sets you autist.

>not adding atleast 25% of your bodyweight
Not gonna make it.

IIRC you only train your lower chest. So dips/decline+bench+incline+flys will make sure you cover pretty much everything

>weighted dips

What if I have a home gym and I'm all alone you retard? Wouldnt that hurt my ribs and stomach?

Safety bars exist that stick out off the power rack just above your chest so if you cant lift the bar it falls on that and not you

Nah I've roll of shamed over 2pl8 and am so DYEL no one ever believes me I've benched anywhere near that.

>70kg 5'9
>3x10 1pl8 dip
>3x14 70lbs db flat bench
I love my titties.

>weighted tips

I've been doing dumbbell bench press since I think I have some muscle imbalance in my chest, they are great, just super set some dumbbell flys after each set for extra effort. I also do dips every monday and a lot of times I end up doing both bench press and dips on the same day.

i just bench without clips on the bar, if i fail a rep i just tip the bar and let the weight fall off

Use the Bench as a strength exercise i.e. 3-5x3-5 then use the DB Bench Press, Dips, Cable Crossovers etc as a Bodybuilding exercise i.e. 3-5x6-12

bench

dips always hurt my sternum and shoulders

dutchfag detected

Tallfag here

I wish i could do dips but my shoulders feel like theyre going to break out of my skin every time i do them

Kek

Being taller just means you have to lift more weight with the dips, stop being a pussy

>Have tall housemate who sometimes gyms with me
>Watch him attempt dips
>His knees touch the floor before he's even got full ROM

Height confirmed for gains goblin

Dips are by far more dangerous than benching is. My sternum hurts like a motherfucker when I do it. Narrow grip does help, but then I target the triceps more.
Bench, incline bench and after that maybe some dips. Be careful though

How tall?
I'm 6'3, I have no issues with dips.

Noob here, how do I improve my dips? I mean I can barely do 1... I bench 1plate, I'm 150lbs and been lifting for like 3 months. No way to do assisted dips in my gym - do I use an excercise/stretch band?

What is your dips position? Do you want to improve your chest or triceps more?
The more you bend forward, the more you work the pectorals. Conversely, the more you straighten your torso, the more you involve the triceps. Dips are excellent for stretching the pectoralis major and increasing the flexibility of the pectoral girdle. However, I would actually not recommend it to beginners, which you seem to be still, because it requires sufficient strength. Use the machine or resistance bands to master the technique and get strong enough before. Be VERY careful with your dips to avoid traumatizing the shoulder joint.

Thanx, m8. Will try practicing form with resistance band after my work-out proper is done.

Also, when I do add dips, do I do it on Bench day or cycle with Bench?

Ypu guys need to keep ypur shoulder in proper position. Dont push yourself all the way up at the top of the lift.
And have some forward lean to minimize the shoulder ROM.

>Cause I'm not keen on getting stuck under the barbell when I fail a rep on BP without a spotter.

I always see this on here. Do you faggots go to failure on every set on something? You dont need a spotter unless you're going for a PR...

you should be able to know when you're 1 rep away from failure, and that's when you stop if you have no spot. either way, just ask a strong looking guy to spot you if you need one, don't be an autist.

Yeah, you can do it after you are done benching. But do not lean too much forward and never go to failure, its really nasty on your sternum

Yes I know. How far the bars are apart is also crucial. The wider apart, the bigger the stress on your sternum

OK thanx alot. I see people lean forward lots to hit chest, but I take it I should avoid that and just lean a little bit?

I, or anyone else for that matter, cant say that. Everyone is different, that means their muscle insertions and origins are, too. Listen to your body. When you lean forward too much and it hurts, stop. Dont force yourself to go too deep when it hurts, just because someone else reaches that depth without problems.

How do I stop swinging during my dips,?

>How do I stop swinging during my dips,?
go slower, get stronger.

Thanks man.

Do them slow and controlled. You wont be able to do as many since you engage more muscles in stabilizing you, but that will make you grow more.

calm it down, use legs to counterbalance

You can't really overload any upper body exercise as easily as the bench press, that said it's not the end all be all. Make sure you're overhead pressing too, maybe throw in some dumbbell presses and you're golden.

Do both faggot

I found doing really slow controlled dips are the way to go. I have dip bars in my room. I'll do 3-5 per set with perfect form, and eventually do 100 in a night.

It's a better pec developer for some than the bench.

Can anyone recommend a good home set up for dips?

I want it to be as out of the way, and accessible as one of those door frame pullup bars.

what about the dips machine?

if i cant do a dip properly or if it hurts too much i can start there with a smaller weight

weighted vest and pushups

What is floor press?

If u truly are by yourself than just dump the bar to one side. If ur not than get a spotter for your last set.

>Weighted dips
I can't even do them unassisted.
>can bench 245lbs for reps but can only do 2-3 dips without a band

I do both dips and bench on the same day. Also how do people fail on the bench? Never failed once in my life or had to do the roll of shame.

Use a chest machine idiot

How much do you fucking weigh?

this

/thread

250lbs
Going to 200lbs, will I be able to do more dips?

Honestly kys