Why do you guys seem to hate the smith machine?

why do you guys seem to hate the smith machine?
i do my squats in them, is that bad?

It forces your body to move in an unnatural motion. Almost no exercises should be done in a perfectly straight line.

>why do you guys seem to hate the smith machine?

most guys on Veeky Forums get their opinions and hivemind from broscience, dom mazzetti, etc...
it's fine for a lot of different exercises. not squats though

also you can push towards the front or back and the bar will go up because its on rails, complete opposite of regular barbell movements where you have to push up and also balance so it actually doesnt go forward or back, smith machine is only useful for getting a pump and calf raises

The bar should most certainly move in a straight line during a squat. Its the most efficient bar path. The problem with a smith machine is that you longer work all the muscles that are used to make the bar go straight.

I grab the top and do leg raises

>The bar should most certainly move in a straight line during a squat.
Yes. A straight line over the mid foot, which cannot happen in a smith machine

how are things going at planet fitness?

That looks like a box squat

OP here
european
my gym is 5 minutes away from my school but it only has 1 squat rack and 2 smith machines
it's a cheap gym

American education at its best. topkek

so it doesn't train core as much i presume?

It's just a machine, and has the same inherent weaknesses as any machine compared to its free weight equivalent.

It has its uses.
None of them are called squats or benchpress unless were talking heavy decline

I don't hate the smith machine, it got me to 1pl8 and since I've never gone back. I see it as training wheels for real barbell squats

While the bar path should be straight up and down, getting the correct foot placement to do so in a natural movement is impossible on a smith machine.
Your form will literally always be fucked up on a smith machine

>a lot
Not bench
Not press
Not squats
Not deadlift
Not curls
Not pull ups

So....yeah, that's quite a lot init

The smith machine doesn't imitate life.

You can't just rerack life whenever you want!

Calf raises and shrugs are the only two I can think of

it will fuck up your back

because there is no gravity its like im lifting on the moon. also whats the bar weigh?

>1 squat rack and 2 smith machines
>smith machines are cheaper than squat racks

wat

a squat rack is literally just a box without the sides and a couple hooks to hang the bar

around 5 kilos i think
it's pretty irrelevant

I have serious mobility problems in my heels and literally can't get enough depth on Normal squats, even with raised heels, so Smith machine is the only way I can go ass to grass on squats. And desu mate, if you're squating on a smith, that's still more than most gymbros who skip legs totally.

I find I get better glute isolation on a smith anyway

Prepped for the hate.

No idea why fucking "desu" is in there, hate that fucking cookiecutter term

>Hurr I just discovered a three year old video am I funny yet I've only been on Veeky Forums for two weeks

Your form is shit

>why do you guys seem to hate the smith machine?

There's a word filter that replaced what he actually said. He didn't actually write desu.

Fuck off cunt

You only have the mobility needed because you spent so much time squatting down sucking your fat fathers smelly cock

because dom mazzetti said its gay

dom is never wrong.

If you type t b h together Veeky Forums replaces it with desu.

Ahhhh, thanks man

Work on mobility. A great way to do that is by actually squatting, not fucking your form and body up even more by using a smith machine you utter fucking retard.

Who cares? Is it making your quads bigger or not - that's what you should be asking.

I don't think you realise how severe it is you cunt, I've had months and months of physio for it, the fuck am I gonna do, just skip legs? you fucking autismo

i wish i understood why even cheap gyms stocked their rooms with multiple smith machines and one squat rack. like, surely a squat rack is less expensive than a smith machine.

smith is great for shrugs

The smith machine is great for many exercises, but the squat is not one of them. It's far better to go lighter on the freeweight. It is not natural for the body to push a lot of weight in a straight line while squatting.

I use it for negative rep close-grip bench presses, it's great

I use the squat machine for OHP. My gym does not have the proper rack for freeweight and when I OHP on the squat rack I can't load enough weight without feeling extra strain on my back.

Might be switching to shrugs on the smith soon, as I'm getting too strong for the heaviest dumbbells in my gym (120)

>physically cant perform a lift properly
>does it in an even worse format
Boy you sure know how to fix your body! Seriously find other lifts to activate your legs if it's that big of a problem

>tfw my la fitness has 2 sauat racks and 1 powerlifting rack

My wife and I tried for 2 months to squat on a smith machine at, yes ((Planet Fitness)). I can say with certainty it is impossible to do anything close to a 'correct' squat on those fucking things. It is impossible to move the bar over the mid-foot, knees not in front toes, ect.
>End result: constant back pain from unnatural movement
We now do our version of a hack squat.
Feet about 18 inches out in front (sorta like OP pic) Go deep, push off mid to back foot. And do goblet squats