Shit Stats

Sub Brehs,
I'm a beginner and I'm doing 5x5 SL. I made nice noobgains so far, but something is bothering me lately.
My BENCH and my ROWS are increasing nicely but my Squat and DL is just ridiculous.

Stats:
>60 kg Bench (130 american units)
>40 kg Rows (90 american units)
>50 kg Squats (110 american units)
>60 kg DL (had to deload to fucking 50 kg today, because of shit form and weakness)

I'm 182 cm and weigh 76 kg
what the fuck is going on? Anyone has an idea here? hlp plz

pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

bretcontreras.com/transcribed-interview-with-stu-mcgill/
youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
youtube.com/watch?v=KGEKRjlZKf8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

forgot to mention, I'm also on a surplus aka bulking!

Please post face of the princess in your pic.

k. but hlp me plz

I refuse to believe it.

>60 kg DL (had to deload to fucking 50 kg today, because of shit form and weakness)

You're being too harsh on your form, or you need to try mixed grip.

>50 kg Squats (110 american units)

Probably a mobility issue. Lanklets often have trouble getting low on squats

We're pretty similar. Started SL around early November. 178cm, 78kg
My lifts for 5 reps are
>65kg bench
>55kg rows
>97,5kg squat
>97,5kg deadlift

Do you sleep enough? I eat around 3000calories and get around 7-8h of sleep. But I played sports most of life at a quite high level, just started lifting after 3-4 years of a somewhat sedantary lifestyle

Cliché advice around here is "work on technique" but nobody explains what exactly it means. Posting a video would help a lot.
What do you weight? How is your warm-up? Any problems with your grip or shoulders? Do you have long femurs or short? Are you able to pinpoint what muscles exactly fail when you squat because many beginners are not?

Say you your grip is too weak, at some point your DL will fail. Thats why have to start griptraining as well.
Same goes for squats? If your quads are too weak, do leg presses to specifically target your quads. Foam roll before and stretch after etc. Try a wider stance too

Thank you. I've read that if you can't DL the weight with regular grip, you shouldn't lift it at all. mixed grip is for oly?! Also last time I did 5x5x60 I had a stiff lower back and felt really uncomfortable for3 days, so I don't want to lift with bad form and fuck my shit up :(
How to increase mobility? I stretch 10 min before every workout
my sleep is shit, I wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep, do you really think that this could be it?

Sleep is extremely important, it is not a meme.

Where exactly do you fail during the squat? Can you feel a particular muscle thats responsible? Can you deep squat without weights? How wide is your stance, does it feel comfortable?

>I've read that if you can't DL the weight with regular grip, you shouldn't lift it at all

Bullshit. Are your forearms the main thing you're trying to train by doing deadlifts? If not, then they should not be a significantly limiting factor.

Also, "hook grip" is for oly. Mixed grip is regularly used in powerlifting.

I don't think that my grip or my quads are to weak. In both lifts (squat and DL) I feel, that my form is lacking because I can't keep a neutral spine. My lower back feels uncomfortable if I have to much weight.
I also do some lower back accessory like glute bridges

>I also do some lower back accessory like glute bridges

Stop.

If you can't even deadlift your bodyweight for 5 easy reps, you shouldn't be doing those.

Can you deep squat without problems? Low or high bar? How wide is your stance, have you tried different stances? Try a wider stance and flare your knees a bit, your femurs might be longer relative to your torso which might cause problems for squatting, but should be ideal for DL.
How much do you weigh?

I don't fail the squat, but I recognize that my form is lacking with to much weight, and I can't seem to improve. Responsible is my lower back, I can't keep my spine neutral. Yes I can deepsquad without weights. I also squad ATG. My stance is a little over shoulderwidth. But all that doesn't really feel comfortable. But it is possible, unless the weight gets to much. Should I increase my stance for example?

Ok Thank you

see I do lowbar. Thanks for the advice with the knees, I will try that.
I weigh 76 kg / 170 lbs

I'm kind of in the same boat as you (unusually weak squat), but I have hip dysplasia so I have to choose between squatting low weight to go low enough to count or half squat heavier weight, otherwise my right femur will blow the fuck out.

Make sure you're doing full, complete repetitions. If you have to drop weight to go all the way below parallel then do it. Squats are a very compound exercise so one reason why you might not be seeing much improvement is you aren't going through the full ROM.

Try different stances with lower weight and see what is most comfortable for you. Every body is different, there are no rules that dictate that your toes must be shoulder width.

Do you feel uncomfortable or pain somewhere else, shoulders, hips etc? How is your warm-up?
Since I started squatting with a wider stance it put less stress on my lower back and more on my legs? I also feel I am more "upright" when squatting

>hip dysplasia

1/2
>When you do a deep squat, there are several components that determine the amount of motion that they have. Of course, there is muscle tightness. But if you’re doing the squat then that’s overridden. That’s probably not gonna matter much. There’s the joint capsule, neural tensions, and for the clientele I see, people with disc bulges and traps in their back, that matters. The neural tension that they will feel through the piriformis area behind their hip and what not.

>But the most important matter on all of this is the depth of the hip socket. If people are looking up on the internet, depth of the hip socket and squat ability, they won’t find it. They have to go to the hip dysplasia literature. What they’ll find is that there are groups in the world with very shallow hip sockets and they have very high rates of hip dysplasia. The center of the world for hip dysplasia is Poland. They have very shallow anterior hip sockets and they can squat very deeply. The femur comes right up because there is no bone on bone contact there.

2/3
>It’s actually called the Dalmatian Hip, which originates on the Dalmatian coast of Croatia up through Bulgaria into Poland and into Western Russia, which is the Ukraine. Now I think I just named the countries that produce year after year, unbelievable Olympic lifters. They also have the highest rate of hip dysplasia. So again, it’s form and function – and form and function determines athletic ability. It determines where you become arthritic and all the rest. It was very interesting. I occasionally do legal cases as a spine knowledge source (I guess) and I worked on a couple of murder cases believe it or not, where they needed some spine expertise. And another one of the scientists was a professor of forensic anthropology. It was her who first showed me all of these different hip architectures and how they change throughout the world. So it helped her to identify bodies when the skin and the hair and other features were burned off, say. That’s the Dalmatian hip, which is ideally suited for deep squatting. Now you take the archetypical shallow socket hip and it’s a very deep hip socket and that’s a Celtic hip, prevalent in the Normandy area of France, Ireland, and Scotland.

3/3
>Now how many Olympic lifters come from those countries. Not very many. The reason is they have very deep hip sockets and when you measure the power production out of that hip architecture, you’ll find that they don’t have much power at the bottom of the squat pulling out of the hole to use an athletic term. But the top half of this squat is really powerful. So for throwing the caber and things like that, it’s a standing strength or a very shallow squat strength. That’s where the power is. Am I saying that all Scottish people have deep hip sockets and that all Polish have shallow? No I’m not. I’m just saying that’s the tendency from those genetic pools. Anyway, that’s a start to the discussion. And it’s not that I care where you’re from but what it motivates me to do is a hip exam. As you know, I have an assessment DVD where I show these techniques and then I can start answering the questions to guide athletes. Should they be squatting deep? Should they be concerned about butt-wink? Or should they avoid that because they’re stressing the anterior labrum of the hip. They are stressing their spines. Chances are that they are gonna survive a lot higher volume of training if they pull off blocks. So they only squat deep enough where they can save the labrum of their hip and save their spine. You know, say you’re an NFL lineman. Why do you need to deep squat if you’re an NFL lineman? Why not just squat as deep as you can to the point of where the pelvis starts to break away? Because that’s where the femur is collided up against the labrum of the hip anyway. Take all the stress out. You’re still gonna play offensive tackle in the NFL just as well. You’re still gonna get strong and better yet, you can now tolerate a higher volume of training because you’re removing that stress riser. That’s a key for a lot of people.

Dr Suart McGill
bretcontreras.com/transcribed-interview-with-stu-mcgill/

Holy fuck. A thread on Veeky Forums I actually learned something from

Only my lower back feels uncomfortable. I will try different stances. Thank you

Glad you learned something. For the demographics of Veeky Forums, it is surprising how little research is done around here.

These two videos will clear a lot of things up for you, it greatly improved my technique.

youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
youtube.com/watch?v=KGEKRjlZKf8

In the second video he analyses two different types of bodies: longer torso+shorter femurs and tibia and a lankier guy with very long legs. The differences are night and day.

very nice vids, thanks a lot

>tfw deadlift 150kg but bench 60kg
I only do incline bench but did all that shit that fit says with retracted scapula and everything else. Atleast flyes work my chest nicely..

Why are people so fucking weak? I squatted 110 kg and deadlifted 120kg for reps the first time I went to the gym in my entire life. Am I a wonderchild or is everyone else just auschwitz-mode? Not trolling I'm serious as fuck.

pbly shit form

>mixed grip is for oly?!

lol

Perhaps not ass to grass on the squats, but other than that it was great according to the people who I trained with (who had been training for years).

those vids should be in the sticky desu senpai

Glad it helped you user. The channel offers a lot of good stuff. Many here approach lifting wrong. Dont view squats or deadlifts as exercises that have to be performed in a particular way but as whole movements that engage muscles.
There are many guys that just cannot squat atg due to their biomechanical realities. Do not beat yourself up over it, adjust your stance so that it feels comfortable to you. If you do not compete, there is no need to apply the rules of powerlifting to your routine, for instance mixed grip. Why would you make it easier on your forearms if you want to train them as well?
Apply the movement in a way that engages the muscles most effectively in relation to your proportions and you will achieve results.

Your proportions, muscle insertions and origins, endocrine system, capacity to handle stress, ability to recover quickly are different. Be happy you can lift considerable weight without having to put in as much work as the next guy, dont be condescending towards those that are not built the same way you are.

>you are worth an extra 10k for every inch over 6'
>must be worth a minimum of 30k
>being 6'3" should be what negates her desire for money entirely
>you need to be 6'5" just to make less than 30k

Dumb bitch.

Ive been telling people this but most are more interested in shouting "read SS and be done with it" or demeaning other people than doing research and improving their own form.
The crabs in a bucket-mentality here is not helpful, but there are good, well-meaning people out there.

>lanklets
he's 5'11.5 which is pretty much 5'3