/OWG/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

/OWG/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>Speed Edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

teamusa.org/usa-weightlifting/clubs-lwc/find-a-club
roguefitness.com/adidas-powerlift-2-dark-grey-solar-yellow-core-black
roguefitness.com/adidas-adipower-weightlifting-shoes-black-scarlet-gray-metallic
youtube.com/watch?v=xqa8cN5uM-A
catalystathletics.com/article/1902/Jumping-Forward-in-the-Snatch-or-Clean-Error-Correction/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How can I be better and transitioning from first pull to full extension?

My coach keeps telling me to be fully locked out at the knees before I begin extending my ankles and pulling with my arms. But it's hard to figure out when and I keep missing the point and extending my ankles why knees are still unlocked.

Adequate triple extension happens all in one motion. Ankles, knees, and hips in unison.
You won't generate adequate force by locking your knees.

> extending my ankles when knees are still unlocked.

I should add that this makes my hips go way too much forward. I'm only practicing with the five kilo bar so I kind of feel like it's hard to properly do the lift since there's such little weight.

she's adorable

What should I look for in a olympic weight lifting gym?

And by that I mean how do I join a gym that won't have me do a million reps of shit and teach me absolutely nothing

teamusa.org/usa-weightlifting/clubs-lwc/find-a-club

Start here (if you're in US), user. Inquire about open gym hours, be adamant about wanting to learn weightlifting, and not a part of crossfit etc.

:3

I already checked that. Literally the only gyms that are near me are an hour away, located in the hippiest neighborhood in my state, and crossfit.

It's not like I don't have access to a gym with barbells. But I was more looking for someone to coach me on form. But no gym for crossfit.

I might be able to find a coach on craigslist that I can send videos to or something.

difference between powerlift 3 and 2?
are they a lot worse than adipowers?

But that form isn't

Powerlift 3's are just different in aesthetics. It's the same shoe. They're both shit just get adipowers. I got them for $100 on black friday. Wait for another deal if the price has gone up.

What is it with the Chinese and weightlifting?

Not that it's not impressive - it is. But why?

Honestly never done an oly lift ever, grew up doing football/wrestling/mma and all ive ever grown up with is people doing powerlifting style strength training which i am quite good at.
Oly lifts look very functional and look like they would hold a great place in becoming an overall stronger and better athlete.
Any specific route i should take for introducing them in my routine?

I live in northern yurop
everything up here is expensive
100€ is already a lot for shoes, and adipowers are 200€

are the powerlifts really that crap?

Hey owg what is your take on the Reebok lifters?
Asking cause I can't wear Adidas/Nike on account of my feet being hobbit-tier wide, but Reebok fits OK

No, elite athletes still use them.
David Bedzhanyan for instance.

Quad, a rugby player trip from a few years ago adovacted a push/pull/speed or horizontal/vertical/speed split.

Speed day would be either snatch or c&j specific. I can't remember exactly but it was something like;

- warm up
- learning exercises (like a muscle snatch)
-work up to a heavy single on either snatch or c&j then back off for a few sets
- lift assistance like pulls
- then medball stuff or whatever

Again this is based on my memory so.

I'd like to hear other ideas too

are the heels higher on adipowers?

guarantee it's better than yours

Google is your friend.

roguefitness.com/adidas-powerlift-2-dark-grey-solar-yellow-core-black
.6" heel

roguefitness.com/adidas-adipower-weightlifting-shoes-black-scarlet-gray-metallic
.75" heel

thanks, so it isn't too much of a difference

Those aren't Powerlifts, those are the PPIIs.

and how do they differ from pls and adipowers?

They are pp2 dude get with the program u haven't been away that long

Pp2 is a proper entry level weightlifting shoe. .75 heel that is solid

Powerlift is like .66 and has a heel that's more compressible

You still see top level lifters using both, especially women

All inferior brand... Nike much superior.

Try blue Nike...

so if I can get pp and pl at the same price, I should go for pps?

I would go for pp2 over pl 100% bro

thanks

SHe snatches more then ur bitch ass 100% guaranteed

Bet u can't explain why tho

Any thoughts on Rogues new russian bar? Are the grooved sleeves just a meme, or are they actually better?

They're better than nothing but they're heel height and heel material aren't adequate. You won't know the difference if you buy them but if you try adipowers you'll never go back.

(I thought I responded desu)

Read the pastebin fagoot

they help the collars stay in place that's all they're for

:)

My bad lads.

Poor Alex's record has been smashed by 6kg by a 16 year old kid. Guess those Iranian steroids don't help you overcome genetics.

Good lad.

I love this little nigga.

Form check

youtube.com/watch?v=xqa8cN5uM-A

Everything in the description.
Need tips. Just began Olympic weightlifting.

>wearing socks in carpet
>not wearing shoes
>iron plates

holy shit user, I'm impressed you're keeping balance on carpet wearing only socks

Hang cleans look alright for what you're working with anyways

delete this immediatley

115 lbs is not a lot by any means.
That's how I can keep my balance.

This

You're not extending fully, which is causing you to jump forwards. Give this article a read-

catalystathletics.com/article/1902/Jumping-Forward-in-the-Snatch-or-Clean-Error-Correction/

Thanks

>can snatch with no pain
>hitting triples at 80 no trouble
>still can't clean 50 without hip joint pain

fuggg :'DDDD

Caladan, I have a hip impingement and I find that if I really stretch my butt back in the catch I circumvent a great deal of discomfort.

I swear to god i've seen this exact same post like 2 months ago.

in the catch of the clean? Like increase torso angle?

Pretty sure I made it considering I made the webm, but I don't think I made any jokes about Iranian steroids

Currently on Texas Method for strength training at the moment. Not training for any sport in particular, just want to be strong.
I want to try having a go at the oly lifts because they're fun as fuck but my question is how can I incorporate them into the program and still progress.

I messed around with snatch and c&j about 6 months ago, adding each lift to the end of my two of my training days. (one day a week I'd do c&j, another I'd do snatch) I was struggling to improve the lifts even at babby weight and put it down to not actually doing the lifts enough to see an improvement.

How can I incorporate the olympic lifts into a texas method style routine whilst including enough volume to actually improve on them?

One of the reasons I'm looking at having another go at the oly lifts is because my gym recently got bumper plates so I'd be able to pull from the platform. (when I was doing the lifts 6 months ago it was only hang variations because I couldn't pull from the right height on the floor)

Just do a program like Dan John's beginner program or Lascek's Transition to Weightlifting, they have plenty of squatting volume attached to them.

Jesus fuck
Is every gym like this so fucking expensive?
Seems like 1500 a year is the absolute minimum.

Is that a curl bar?

>nj weightlifting

does this sound like a good gym?

Anyone tried these?

Lewd

Those just look like a retarded knockoff of powerlifts

I thought knockoffs of pp2 but ye

Yeah but they cost like half, 40gbp.

power perfect*

>tfw no pouting bad jerk gf

Only thing important with the shoes is if the height of the heel fits your mobility and if they have a steady base which all models do. Get good at lifting instead of looking like a DYEL internet guru in the gym with your romaleous and leistungs.

when is too late to get into competitive lifting?I'm 22 Only been lifting 12 months but already on 3-plate no drugs. Lift 5 times a week and it's my favourite hobby. My dream now is to compete in olympics for my tiny country, don't care if I don't do well just want to represent country.

is it too late or could I spend 12 months roiding and catch up doing 7 days per week? Is roiding fair game? I assume so but if not I'll try natty.

>not lifting barefoot
unless you're actually in competition this is retarded

how can you catch up with people who are already roiding?

so really I can't compete if I didn't start at 18? fuck it all feels like it's going so well though, but I still don't understand plateaus and whether or not this is realistic.

My country didn't put forward any lifters in Rio though so there might still be a chance, r-right?

>if I didn't start at 18?
AHAHAHA
Read up on any weightlifter who ever broke any olympic or world records. They all started lifting in their early teens.

Depending on where you live you might be able to succesfully compete on a national level. where I live for example the best snatch and c&j in the 85kg division this year was 120kg and 142kg, 262kg total.

meant for

the fact your country didnt put any lifters forward means your gonna have a harder time

snatch is low but that c&j is really really low

Unless your country is small enough to get free qualification like places like Kosovo then you'll still have to make some sort of qualifying standard

What are your current numbers

Well, it's really not a sport of interest in my country. There are maybe 10-15 oly lifting gyms in the whole country and there are no good coaches. I'd have to drive almost an hour to get to one, so I'm just working out in a close by crossfit gym. It's really dissapointing how much more popular crossfit is than oly lifting here. I guess that's what marketing does for you.

squat 160kg, deadlift 170kg, bench press 80kg

those are what I do as normal reps not personal records

I know it's nothing special but I feel good about what I've accomplished this year and figure I could probably get amazing results by end of 2017 if I do a few 2 month test cycles.

how much dyou fucking sn and cj?

I haven't even started, don't have the equipment for it and there are no powerlifting gyms here

you will never go to the olympics

and neither will you with an attitude like that

that speed and form on the webm are so fucking sick

I don't know what you mean, but you'll close the hip angle a bit. Just think 'stretch butt back'. Try it with powers first. If your knees are coming forward you're not doing it right.

Does anyone have the slow motion gif/webm of the weightlifter dropping his C&J and when the weight hits the floor, the force shakes the entire room.

it's just the camera shaking you fuck idiot

You've clearly never seen the gif I'm talking about, but I appreciate your overly aggressive behavior. You see, in the video I'm referencing, the weight slamming into the ground sends the lifting a inch or so into the air. It's pretty neat.

i've seent it because i made it u fuck idiot, u dont even know who u talking 2

No, YOU don't know who you're talking to. Do you even know who my father is?

It is a 25 lb bar. So probably.
It was cheap and it could hold weights and got it when i was 16

have you ever had any trouble with wrists? I am currently having a fuck of a time with my right wrist. I actually haven't done any classic lifts in about a month. It doesn't feel urgently serious, it's just one of those injuries where I felt if I kept using it it would become a chronic ailment. I feel it in the ball joint of my right wrist, on the left side, if that makes sense

bumpo

Hi /OWG/, I started oly weightlifting 2 months ago and I have made 0 progress on my snatch even though my cleans, squats, deadlifts, and presses improved.
I cant get under the bar properly so I basically end up in a power clean position with my feet extremely wide apart.
What can I do to correct this?
I also lose control of my bar half the times during the 3rd pull and it falls either forward or back (my Weightlifting shoes don't stop this problem). What can I do to improve my balance? Thanks

>tfw no Irish legume eating gainz

you realize that potatoes are legumes, correct?

the eternal mick strikes again

>you realize that potatoes are legumes, correct?

lol no. Potatoes are a nightshade, they're an entirely different family of plant.

It never shocks me to learn that a colleague of mine has been misinformed about the true classification of the potato. The potato is in fact a legume. A legume is plant that is able to fix nitrogen from the air and put it into the soil. A colleague of mine informed me that a potato is a plant that can do this. thus, it is classified as a legume, not as a vegetable.

'No'. A legume is any plant under the family classification Fabacaea. Potatoes are not classed under Fabacaea. Therefore, potatoes are not legumes.