Diet/Fat loss Thread

>General weight loss/diet thread?
Been lurking for almost a year. Kinda got inspired last year to get healthy. (partially if not mostly due to all you healthy fuckers)
Quit drinking, smoking, drugs, cut out crappy foods for the most part.
I've gone from 245lbs down to 180 from diet and exercise.

Few questions if anyone can help

1. Whats ideal macros for shredding fat? Right now eating >20 carbs a day and around 200g protein and 100g fat (give or take). Seems like google is full of bullshit diet macros and everyone has an opinion. Any hard facts that one ratio is better than the next?

2. What would be a good body fat percentage goal/weight to get down to before I start lifting and building some muscle? Was thinking 160 lbs but not sure what my bmi is atm,
>Male 6' 180

Also if any anons who trying to lose weight or kick addiction have questions ask them here I'll answer what I can.

20g of carb and still pull off 200g of protein?? Do you not eat any fruit for vitamins??

not him but I'm running 200g protien 30g fat and 0g carbs to cut...

Using multivitamins for vitamins.

Wanna KMS desu this sucks

Don't look at it as a goal weight, look at as a goal bf %. Ideally, get to 10%.

10% is very lean. The leaner you get, the more muscle is added and less fat is added during a bulk.

>start lifting

Do it ASAP. You've been lurking for a year. You don't know that rule number 1 is lift weights? Holy shit.

LIFT ASAP! You gain GAIN muscle on the cut as opposed to LOSING IT.

Right now you are losing muscle and fat. Instead of gaining muscle and losing fat. Does that make any sense?

But Veeky Forums says you can't gain muscle and loose fat at the same time

That is true but only true for people that have been bodybuilding for years.

When people say that they are talking about how a bodybuilder that has trained for 5 years can't gain muscle without bulking lamo

you didn't do a good job of lurking

OP here, nah no fruit too much sugar, supp with daily vitamins. For 20-40g of carbs mostly vegetables.
Diet is mostly Fish, meat and eggs, some whey if I'm on the go.

I do lift 3 times a week. As far as losing muscle and no fat? I'm pretty sure that's not accurate, Im eating at a calorie deficit of around 1600 a day so I cant really build.
When I said "lifting" i meant bulking..
But I do maintain muscle mass by lifting every other day and plenty of bcaas and a high protein diet.
Also post above isnt me.
Is any of that inaccurate? Just my understanding atm.

You actually can build muscle at a deficiet of -1250. I did.

I dunno about -1600. I haven't tried. Maybe it's possible.

>losing muscles and no fat

what I meant was if you cut without lifting you will lose BOTH muscle AND fat which is bad (duh)

you don't need to worry about losing muscle on a cut really until you're well established as a bodybuilder

at this point you can gain muscle on a STEEP cut. I did it.

When i said 1600 deficit I meant 1600cal a day, I guess would be around a 1k deficit.
But thanks for the advice I'll continue to lift.
I also do a ton of cardio like biking hiking and running. Not sure if that will effect gains? Always eat back any calories burned so I stay around a net of 1600 a day.

I did my cut doing cardio too. IMO it's the best way to do it man, healthiest.

Just keep it up, Keep in mind you'll gain minimal muscle, because you know, 1k deificet, but you'll gain SOME muscle.

You're not gonna be addonis post cut but there will at least be some muscle on your frame

sounds like you are doing everything right, keep it up

Thanks dude.

Not sure if you know the answer but..
From what I understand excess calories are either stored as fat or muscle right?
How can you build muscle if your body is burning more calories than its intaking? like maintenance for me should be 2500ish right? so if my body is burning an extra 900-1000 calories of stored calories how can I build muscle?
Genuinely curious..

Dude, before and after pics pls? I weigh 240 lbs and aim to get down under 180 lbs in 2017, at 5'10. Would be really nice.

>How can you build muscle if your body is burning more calories than its intaking?

So excess energy is stored as fat. Excess energy doesn't get stored as muscle, ever.

What happens is when your muscle fibers get torn, your body uses protien to heal them. When they heal, they are bigger than before they were torn.

Thing is, if you are eating a surplus, this process happens a whole lot better. When you have extra calories/energy, your body is like 'alright I guess I can put on a lot of muscle, times are good, energy is in abundance'

But if you're at deficit, your body isn't as concerned with building muscle, and the process doesn't happen as efficiently. It can still happen. Your body repairs the torn fibers. There just isn't the same increase in size or strength. The priority isn't building muscle now, because the body is afraid you are in famine, and it doesn't want to overcommit to building muscle (which is harder than fat to break down in times of famine)

If you have a lot of muscle on your body, your body pretty much doesn't/won't put on any muscle during the 'famine' (cut). At all. It's like 'fuck you have more than enough already'

That's where the axiom 'Can't get muscle on a cut' comes from. It only applies to people that are known as 'Dyels' in these parts.

I don't have any before pics. ill post some current pics in a bit, out atm. But you can kinda imagine a 6' 245lb dude. Wore a size 38 pants and xl shirts. Now i wear a medium and size 34 waist.

Cleared that right up for me thanks. Makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. Now you got me all excited dude shit I want to go lift haha. I dont think im exactly dyel, I lifted all four years in high school so my legs are pretty muscular but have since then lost a lot in my arms and chest and put on all that extra weight after a tough breakup. Hopefully I dont look dyel after im done with the cut..

If you're out of dyel mode, then you won't put on muscle during the cut.

However, you can minimize or even stop the loss of muscle. Not possible without lifting. That's why lifting while cutting is recomended no matter what, to everyone, at any level

I see a lot of fats think to themselves 'well I start lifting when I hit xxx weight' no. bad. wrong!

Do you have a plan to start losing weight? It took me about 8 months to lose that 65 lbs.
These are the things that helped me get on the path to weigh loss..
1. Start by walking and stretching every day (you'll instantly feel better) Work your way up to running and other cardio.
2. Change your diet, cut out carb loaded foods out and start eating more protein (1-1.5g per lb of goal weight?) 180-220 grams a day?
3. Drink only sugar free, non carbonated drinks (water, coffee, some sugar free drinks are ok in moderation)
4. Big thing that helped me stay on track is a calorie counting app and exercise tracking app.
I use myfitness pal and sports tracker to calculate calories for the day
5. Plan your meals and cook in advance so it's not inconvenient to eat healthy.
Also browse Veeky Forums inspiration threads haha

Yeah I worked blue collar jobs since I was 18 (23 now) most of them pretty physically demanding so I dont think I'm dyel. just a lot of extra unwanted fat (for now)

eat less.

boom, fat loss secret revealed, you can now close this thread and never make one again.

biggest keys to losing weight FOR ME

>keep carbs under protein
>little of sodium as possible
>set a real goal

my example of a real goal would be
>in 90 days im going to lose 15 pounds

specify the exact number of days and the exact number of pounds.

Bit of a blog post, sorry lads. Had a really rough year, but a couple of months ago I decided to lose weight and start lifting. Last night I had my first mires, from my childhood crush who was grabbing my arms and saying I looked really good. Just feel so fucking high right now, I love lifting.

>worked blue collar jobs since I was 18
>so I dont think I'm dyel

Yeah, but do you even lift, bro?

True that, for me it was the max recommended (for health) at 2 lbs a week was the goal so I didnt start losing a lot of muscle.
But sodium for sure, cant believe I left that out.
Not that it causes you to gain fat BUT,
less sodium equals less water weight/bloating and you actually feel more lean. Which in my opinion mentality plays a big role in weight loss.
For me when I started weighing myself and seeing steady progress I got excited and really buckled down.
But even losing those first couple lbs of water weight and actually seeing yourself get a bit slimmer helps a lot.
that's a pretty good feeling eh? My ex's bestfriend started hitting on me after she hadn't seen me in 8 month before i lost all the weight. Talk about an ego boost.

I do user, i do.

Here's after pics
Am I dyel?

where's your chest muscles? yes, you are dyel.

yup you look like a slightly overweight guy who doesn't lift

keep in mind 6' 180 = 5'10 ~160

extremely lol.

If it makes you feel better, I am dyel too. This just means you will put on muscle easier. You can gain muscle on the cut 100%. From how hard you are trying I would suprised if you hadn't.

Keep up the good work

You may even have lost more fat thank you think from the weight you put on...

Damn oh well, working towards a goal. I wish i had some before pics to show progress. Was pretty bad..

Not going to give up. Just going to lift harder for now on the cut I guess.

Going to see if i can find an old picture for comparison. No facebook since high school so..

On

>On

From what I read with keto can you lose a lot of muscle because of the low protein in the macros..
Current weight? goals?

Op here, From what I read having a lot of protein in your diet can kick your body out of keto, is 200g a day enough to do that or am I in full keto mode without knowing it?

Bump with fit bitches.

Only thing that can kick you out if me to is carbs

I read somewhere thats its possible for excess protein to be converted into blood sugar and end ketosis? Bro science?
So if im in keto do I need to be eating carbs every so often to replenish glycogen?

Sounds like bro science since only carbohydrates gets broken down into glucose. When you're doing keto you should be aiming for

nice, so while im keto do i have to have high amounts of fat in my diet? Or can I stick with what Im doing (high protein). I love eggs meat and fish bruh.

Basically

Excess protein turns into carbohydrate for sustenance through something called gluconeogenesis, so don't go crazy with proteins

was gross and obese a couple years ago, now down to 5'7" 115 twink skelly mode
feels good

i lost around 40lbs of fat with psmf from march to july, went from 333 to 270. felt great and then just did a very low cut diet for the next few months, i'm now at 250 and tried to get back into psmf to reach my goal of 200, by the 10th day i had huge pains in my chest and testicles, thought i had testicular cancer, went to the doctor and apparently everything was fine so the only culprit was my diet. Once i started eating normal again the pain disappeared

I was still taking a multivitamin everyday and i ate around 800 calories (hitting my protein goal and staying under 15g of carbs) , pretty much the same thing i did before, why is my body such a bitch now? not enough excess fat anymore? i mean i'm almost 100lbs lighter but i'm still obese

How strong should I be for my first cut? It's about time I do one, I've been bulking/maintaining for two years, but I keep worrying about not being strong/big enough.

Just out of curiosity, could someone live on a diet of only rice and water? If so could they get fit too?

You wouldn't have enough protein to to sustain a fit lifestyle plus rice doesn't have enough amino acids either. This is why you usually see rice paired up with beans and chicken. I mean you can probably get away with rice and beans if you are to poor to afford meat.