/OWG/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

/OWG/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>Happy Holiday's Edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

kilosnotpounds.com/products/california-roll-2-0
kilosnotpounds.com/products/copy-of-california-roll
store.hookgrip.com/shop/russian-knee-wraps/
store.hookgrip.com/product-category/equipment/knee-sleeves-wraps/
eleikoshop.com/products/eleiko-knee-support
roguefitness.com/nutrition-more/brands/rehband
youtube.com/watch?v=SrSHE2ZuvG8
instagram.com/p/BOcrH2mBUJh/?taken-by=ulfsarkkk
coffeesgym.wordpress.com/2016/12/22/common-sense-approach-to-cj-cummings-training/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My parents want me to get something for under $100 for my weightlifting. What should I get?

I've got shoes already, old ass Wei Rui VX3 but still works fine. Thinking about knee wraps. Any suggestions?

KNP makes a dece pair of knee wraps.

kilosnotpounds.com/products/california-roll-2-0

kilosnotpounds.com/products/copy-of-california-roll

unfortunately the site says sold out.

Hookgrip also makes knee wraps.

store.hookgrip.com/shop/russian-knee-wraps/

Mmm what about knee compression sleeves?

Hookgrip makes them as well.
store.hookgrip.com/product-category/equipment/knee-sleeves-wraps/

Some people use the slightly thicker Elieko sleeves
eleikoshop.com/products/eleiko-knee-support

rehband is also fairly popular.
roguefitness.com/nutrition-more/brands/rehband

complete waste of money

Do they not help support the knee at all?
Would a weightlifting belt (kinda looking at the Eleiko ones) be a better buy?

They just want to give me an useful sub $100 weightlifting present for me.

my wish for chirstmas is wl gf brehs ;_;

Kinda better for just keeping knees warm. The rebound of sleeves isn't as pronounced or noticeable as wraps.

Valeo, and Harbinger make good but cheap belts.

I see.

I wanna get something nice UpTo $60-70 for a belt and the rest spend on wraps. Any suggestions in that price range for quality stuff?

I wanted to get eleiko equipment but heard their stuff isn't the best in that department

4in Valeo belt is dece, shouldn't be more than $25 on amazon.
$15-25 for the sleeves/wraps.

Get a pair of generic cotton wrist wraps for pulls -- Pic related. $15 on higher end. You can get PL straps, cut and retape them to be like pic related.

All under $100

I've seen two other people widen their knees (and then their knees go further in) like that.

Honestly, I would think it would destroy your knees if anyone did that. How do they get away with it?

if i were you id just get the hookgrip knee sleeves. theyre cheap, and theyre going to be better long term than expensive knee sleeves. if you need knee sleeves to squat, then youre squatting wrong.

Who /squateveryday/ here?

who /bigfatass/ here?
I really need to do something to my upper body

I squat every workout, although I tend to only work out like 4-5 days a week instead of the full 7 because I'm a lazy fuck.

Hi /owg/. Merry Christmas! I asked these two questions yesterday already but forgot to check back for any replies.
I just recently started doing olympic lifts but can't get in a full squat position during the 3rd pull. I end up in the starfish position (power snatch but with an extremely wide receiving stance). I also find it difficult to balance the bar above my head during the 3rd pull. It feels like my bar wants to swing either back or forward despite me pinching my back muscles together (I also have weightlifting shoes already).
What can I do? I've been stuck with no progress for 2 months. Thanks!!!

I just injured my right knee last week doing that. I would also like to know how they get away with that especially since they are squatting a lot of weight

Hip snatches, drop snatches, overhead squats

> think i have a pretty decent clean technique
> watch clean at 8 times normal speed
> cringe
God fucking damn it. I was really almost happy
My feet don't even jump at the same time. My back is too bent over during triple extension, and I don't shrug at all

Can I snatch decently with low ceilings and improve from snatches and pulls only without any OHS work?

Something like this but I'm not sure how I'd lower the bar since I can only stand up just past parallel. I found this to explain what I mean. youtube.com/watch?v=SrSHE2ZuvG8

Also, can I develop strength for jerk with supramaximal weight basically like jerk dips only?

Rogue EU vs Eleiko training bar?
I found an eleiko used like twice selling for £650 instead of £1k. Rogue EU bar is £695 iirc.

Drop it when it hits the ceiling

> could not make it into the gym yesterday. had a 22 day streak
feels pretty bad

question: i have the cash to get adidas powerlift 2, any thoughts on them? does anyone have a suggestion better than them? should i really get them a size bigger than my other shoes ?

thanks

Adidas I've found are true to size/sized like a sport shoe unlike Chinese brands who are sized larger like dress shoe

Power perfect 2 is a better call if you can afford. Maybe sales be on after Xmas. Probably can get romaleos cheap soon when romaleo 3 released

form check pls
instagram.com/p/BOcrH2mBUJh/?taken-by=ulfsarkkk

dip a little bit steadier and shorter in the jerk

What's the difference between Oly and other straps?

I have a pair of Nordic straps that seem fine? My grip is way above my strength level ATM anyways. Seems like snatches are the only ones that might use those special cotton Oly straps

Flexibility, look at his body position at the bottom of the snatch squat.

Also, training to get used to the weight being above you helps quite a lot.

i have the rogue eu bar and its sublime, really top notch

It doesn't have anything to do with flexibility, it's personal body mechanics. Their limb lengths are such that this is the position that is the strongest and safest. It is absolutely peculiar to them and you SHOULD NOT TRY TO IMITATE THESE LIFTERS.

Get a haircut.

Knees too forward in the jerk. Push butt back in the dip (you should feel glutes and hammies stretching), keep chest/shoulders raised.

And keep your core tight. You're coming loose.

You're also cutting your pull short, especially in the clean. Get tall, all the way on your toes, traps to ears, then use your arms. You could power 108 like that.

Anyone that tells you to 'get under it faster' is a moran that dkwttb. Speed under comes from active engagement of the traps and arms after full leg extension. This also gives your more control of the bar, and an active catch.

Plump

front squats 4x/week yes or no

Does your vertical jump from jumping forward translate into your standing vertical jump? Why can people jump a lot higher when jumping forward (like with box jumps) than with just jumping in place?

because the difference in the two jumping heights is your ability to bring your feet as far up as possible
when jumping forward you're able to essentially just jump onto the corner ledge and work your way up past that
you can't do that when just jumping in place

stop save my webms and axe retarded newbie questions

u discust me

>and axe retarded newbie questions
How to raise my vertical by 30 inches?

Dude has the weirdest footwork. He transfers the weight to his toes 3 times during a lift.

Why is it that a shoulder width grip is used for jerks and not something closer to a snatch grip? With a shorter range of motion to get the arms locked out fully, wouldn't that mean you'd have to exert less effort to complete the movement? Clearly, since nobody does it this way, there must be a reason. Can anyone tell me why?

the rack position would be off and try holding bigger weights above your head with that wide grip

Have you tried doing a front squat with a snatch grip?

what's up with moradi's shoulders on snatch?

Has someone got any oly program for taekwondo or martial arts in general? I'm kida short for my weight category and would like to add some speed by oly lifting.

How hard is it to lift 140kg in the snatch for a decent lifter in the 94kg?

Would it be easy for someone who focuses only on deadlifting, overhead pressing and high bar squatting to quickly get strong at the olympic lifts? Stats are 600/550/255 (Strict military).

Why is red plates followed by a green plate so aesthetic?

They are complementary colors.

Who are the good guys in weightlifting?

Russians seem like bros despite being colossally popped

Chinese seem alien and unfriendly and it's hard to root for them, but ATG and HookGrip seem like huge fanboys and constantly uploads long videos of them.

Brazilians

Too many other factors to give you a straight answer.

A lot of people do jerk with a wide grip. Look at African and south American lifters, especially the Africans they almost all use a very wide grip. There's one guy who powerjerks with his snatch grip,almost collar to collar

because they have huge arms

will xiaojun compete in the next olympics?

Redpill me on Tian Tao

Is he elite or just a one hit wonder

A lot of people were theorizing that 2016 would be his last olympics, but considering he set a snatch WR, I fail to see why it would be. Only time will tell if he can maintain or increase his strength.

2016 was his first olympics, so like I said earlier, only time will tell.

yeah thought so too, since he has snatched as much as 180
as long as there aren't any injuries, why not?

Partly. But apti has huge arms too and his jerk is narrow. Also lasha.

We discussed it at the gym before (one of the lifters is a Cameroon international who does the re rack on collarbones) and he seemed to think it was partly their 'lifting culture' they learn from a young age but also black dudes are built right to rest the barbell on collarbones while Europeans don't seem to have the physiology

Really also depends if China have anyone better to send and if he stays in good books of China weightlifting. A lot can happen between now and then

was doing texas method but started getting sick last thursday, so my 1x5 on friday was totally fucked. got way sicker by saturday, and yesterday i recovered. today i feel a lot better, but seeing as how it's monday, i have to do a 5x5, ideally based off my new 5rm - which i couldnt hit on friday because i was sapped.

should i just go in today and try to hit the 5x5 i did last monday?

Nigger brains > nigger logic > nigger technique

Shitskin detected. Go back to your favela.

Any third world white country like khaz, uzbek, greece, etc that gives athletes who have nothing a chance to work hard and compete would be considered the "good guy"

If you watch the hero's journey of Ilya, dimas, etc you'll see the all started from nothing and got to the top through hard work.

bumping my question

maybe if leg strength is an issue, and not technique. and even then, just program smartly - i.e. don't +90% every session

Need more information you shitbird.

What's your routine look like?

Generally speaking, if you try to FS anything beyond 80% 4 times a week you will run out of gas and fatigue yourself.

You linked some chink on roids as ur pic, are you trying to follow his routine?

This is why /owg/ is literally retarded. You're all reddit cucks who think you need to copy the technique and routine of a 5'3 asian.

Not to mention the DYEL name fags that blog post.

>you will run out of gas and fatigue yourself.

he fell for the meme

>calling other redditors
>afraid of going over 80% 4 times a week on a single lift

bet you think you need to have rest days between squats too. lmao get out weak fuck

Front squat 4x a week is retarded tho unless you train full time desu

if you aren't training full time what is the point

coffeesgym.wordpress.com/2016/12/22/common-sense-approach-to-cj-cummings-training/

We do 85%2RM x 2 pretty much every day at our gym. Coach is from Bulgaria and we're following the principle of constantly operating within your 3RM's

I'm a bit worried myself but so far I haven't had any issues with my front squats and fatigue.

I've worked on my ankle flexibility for about two weeks.

Even got an extra cm on my adipowers

Been doing shoulder stretches and upper back foam rolling (my shoulders actually hurt more all the time now compared to before)

Still can't maintain a good and stable overhead position with the bar straight over me. I keep pushing my shoulders back because my chest leans too much forward at the bottom of the squat and I think I'm getting some impingement. As mentioned before I'm now having pain when I'm not really doing much more than moving my shoulder around freely. When I did strict and narrow overhead press I never felt anything.

Any advice? Do I simply need to get stronger in my upper back?

Should add, the pain mainly comes when I'm raising my shoulders laterally or anteriorly. No problems with my rear delts and traps.

got rogue fractional weights, eleiko knee sleeves and eleiko 5in belt, and rogue OLY straps for christmas

aaaawwww yeee

Guys I'm fucking worried.

Girl at work has invited me back to her place sunday night after we get off work.

What the fuck do I do?

Fuck her ass dry

TELL HER WHAT REALLY HAPPENED ON 9/11

Tell her about the Jewish threat against a white America

Put on those lifting movies from Netlfix then correct form constantly to show you're superior

Watch Sword Art Online.

are your glutes stablizing the weight on a straight spine?

if you're dedicated to holding the weight up with your shoulders you're gonna stall at like 135

>SAO
nigger you what? even if this is a joke, dont even post this ironically

Shoulders need to be raised. Think about shrugging them up, not 'pressing' them out and back. Traps should be engaged at all times. Likewise, you diaphragm/chest need to be raised. Core needs to be locked. You do not need radical shoulder flexibility to overhead squat. If you are having difficulty getting into the bottom position comfortably, you more than likely have a HIP inflexibility that is limiting your ROM.

>Chinese seem alien and unfriendly
They're polite and friendly as fuck
Like all Asians

Watch 2012 Olympics
77kg

lol

If you're a literal dyel, maybe you can't.

Hey /owg/

Can anyone recommend a beginner OW + Aesthetics routine?

Most I have found online are crappy / low volume.

At this stage I'm still working on learning the techniques with the bar / low weight.

Do literally any beginner 3-4 day a week program and alternate push/pull assistance bodybuilding. It's that simple.

Okay thanks I'll keep this in mind.

Weightlifting is not a fucking anime
There aren't good guys and bad guys

Shrugging shoulders is a meme.

UK weightlifting is a joke, delet this

True, we all might as well quit if we have anything else in life to do

You shut ur dirty mouth

Help her prepare for the upcoming race war.