How come vikings were reported to be very tall people in a time when nutrition and healthcare was shit?

How come vikings were reported to be very tall people in a time when nutrition and healthcare was shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann's_rule
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen's_rule
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The viking culture, especialy for men was very much centered around strength and fighting.

It could be that viking women selected for tall men more than other cultures did

They weren't. They were literally midgets by today's standards. You've probably heard they were comparatively tall because they had better access to meat and dairy than people other places in the world.

Ss+gomad

cus everyone else was shorter.

>What is relativity

Maybe they are the people of eating much? The other ones are beaten and maybe they are to eat small and the other guys eat big food.

-b-but Rolo and Floki are tall

when the average britbong was 5'2" then 6'0 is bretty gud.

And why was everyone else shorter?

-b-but they are not vikings..

That's pretty decent for that time, Americans pretty much average around that number today

>very tall people

Norsemen were, on average, 1-2 inches taller than than other Europeans.

Europe has always had better food than elsewhere in the world because we can drink milk and we have a good climate for farming.

Hmm, average today is 5'11-6' depends on country so that's pretty good. I don't trust that stat thought because the average for men 100 years ago was that exact number here in Norway. And I have been to numerous viking-houses and even for someone 6' tall it would be uncomfortable to live there.

>Hmm, average today is 5'11-6'
It isn't in America

so they were tall

A-are you s-saying I will be a t-t-tall-guy if I move to US?

I think 5'9 or something is average so yeah you might be

I was there this year and many people were wider than they were tall

>I don't trust that stat
>I don't trust those numbers based on actual archeological findings and measurements
>I'll trust my own subjective bullshit

Noice

>vikinganswerlady.com
I can't bother to see if she actually has archaeological sources though, pick on me for that instead.

Read an interesting paper related to that a while ago. The reason why nordic people have an abnormal percentage of people that can be considered beautiful is that the selection process for warriors to get a 'spot' on a raiding ship was extremely competitive and when they went about their reaving and pillaging they spread their genes to the most beautiful women they encountered while the rest had their farms and small families.

> Was

That's because all the Pakis are bringing down our average. Real brits tend to be fairly tall.

When in doubt if someone is a real brit, do pic related.

I'm not a manlet, I am a viking

Maybe in 1-2 countries... rest is average 5'9 or so

Average for young blacks and whites is 5'10"-5'11", the older generations might be an inch shorter, and then Hispanics and Asians bring the national average down to 5'9"

We can still pick on your for your logical fallacies. Don't try to pass the buck onto some chick.

Hispanics and Asians are Americans too though, you can't just exclude them from the statistic because you don't like it.

There is nothing wrong with what I said

Genetics and access to meats and dairy, as well as selective breeding lead to what they are today.

Being a lanklet in war time generally means you're a bigger more visible target, more areas to get hit and slashed, slower movement and more wind up time for your actions.

>some lil cunt slashes your femoral artery.

>Being a lanklet in war time generally means you're a bigger more visible target
I think that matters more now with guns than it did then, ofcourse they had bows, but the majority of fighting was hand to hand, and then being big and strong is definately an advantage

I don't trust a random number on the internet because of the knowledge I have accrued throughout my life from various sources and that is a logical fallacy? I agree I should check to see if the source is legitimate, but I am not denying that number, I just don't trust it at this point.

>scientists say

>54%

superior dna

they raped everyone in europe probably giving them better genetics

300bc britain the average height was 6 foot, misconception that everyone before now was a malnourished manlet is bs.

I'm just giving you details m8

When you compare good 'ol 56% USA to >90% white European nations, you can get a different perspective by breaking things down by race.

>The viking culture, especialy for men was very much centered around strength and fighting.

No.

No one said malnourished. But there is a clear difference between Europe and Asia in terms of height AND average height has skyrocketed the last 100 years

Ye no doubt, just a lil on edge havnt fapped in 4 days

Feel you man

Merry grissmes brah

>average today is 5'11-6'

This is excellent hait.

bait*

I was not baiting. Average in Norway is 5'10,86". This is from people measured in the military. The tallest nations Netherland and Bosnia are 6' average as far as I can gather.

Swedes and/or Danes are a tad taller than us Norwegians if I remember correctly.

Average height in iceland is 180cm

Julius Caesar said that the Gauls were much taller than the average Roman

Whether that means the Gauls were tall, the Romans were manlets or even if that's accurate or true, is uncertain

I want to believe

Why would the vikings considered to be tall to the Anglo Saxons who themselves came from northern Germany/Denmark?

Probably because of sami blood though

I doubt it desu. The shortest people by county were from middle-norway.

It's likely that Scandinavians had more protein in their diet, due to the abundance of fish and large game

most of the norwegians in the military are just angry manlets

you would know

>300bc britain the average height was 6 foot
Viking Age 800-1000 AD
Irrelevant

because no one wants to admit they got their shit rekt by manlets

>hey these vikings came to my village and burned down my house and raped my wife
>wow how big were they
no one in that situation is going to admit that a manlet pushed their shit in

it is a literal fact that romans were manlets

the tallest men in the army for the first cohort were 5' 10" minimum height IN ROMAN FEET AND INCHES, read de rei militari

in modern measurements they were 5' 7" and these were the tall ones lmao

so who's /ourguy/? ragnar or rolo?

This is factually inaccurate. For most Norsemen, having lots of children, being a man of your word, and strengthening your kin-group were the most important things in life.

because a larger body is more adapted to colder weather,therefore they evolved that way

Genetic adaptations have a good part of it I believe. Take a good fed chink and compare him to an underfed Viking.

But im not a scientist and im just making assumptions so feel free to tell me that im clueless if I really am.

Viking weren't actually taller.
What we know about Viking is written accounts by their victims, generally decades removed from the actual events and with no real understanding of Vikings, or photos to go by.

So, of course the Irish monks (or whomever) emphasized that they were a group of wild crazy giants.

In reality, the large majority of Vikings were farmers and had nothing to do with raiding.

So what you are saying is that lanklets are weak subhumans? Ok got it.

Back in the day, people used to do things. Culture and society wasn't based on sitting around playing xbox and looking at naked women on the internet. You actually had to move your body most days and do physical things in order to strive as an individual and as a clan. These viking guys probably built shit all day or hunted or practiced fighting each other and then ate a shitload of food and got huge. They also knew the importance of appearances and were vain and groomed a lot.

We know this stuff now but pretend that it doesn't matter.

If you wanted to fuck a girl like pic related you had to work for it.

Vikings weren't tall

/thread

>If you wanted to fuck a girl like pic related you had to work for it.

The same applies today

>being a man of your word, and strengthening your kin-group

C-could it be? Someone on this laotian basket weaving forum is actually informed about the Norse worldview?

If I'm not mistaken, some of the earliest records of the "Norsemen are tall" meme comes from Roman records when they first encounter the Germanic Teutons. The romans subsisted on a grain heavy diet and the average Roman soldier was maybe 5'5.

Tacitus describes the Germanics as eating a lot of meat and being tall, but since the average Roman was pretty short, "tall" could have meant that they were on average maybe 5'8. So they probably weren't giants by OUR standards, but by the standards of the day.

animals in colder conditions are generally bigger because they have better surface area to volume ratios and lose heat less easily.

Why do most of the biggest animals in the world live in the African savannah?

They have more food

Yep, I'm a heathen, it's exactly the sort of worldview and form of spirituality that I identify with, although I have a lot of respect for the old Celtic, Slavic, Greek, and Roman ways.

>t. Thorkell

Latsbrah please go

That's exactly my point. You can't sit around all the time saying tfw no gf.

Make yourself better. Go be active. That's the whole point of life man.

>implying a dude who picks up pieces of wood all day and then eats scraps of meat and vegetables is going to be as big as a guy on a bodybuilding routine who eats 3k calories a day

you know how I know you're an idiot?

why are you guys so worried about vikings when their present day countries are being cucked?

Nah, you got it wrong you fucking retard. Animals in colder conditions have stubbier arms and legs to LIMIT heat loss. More surface area exposed = more heat lost. Fuck, take entry level bio before trying to spew out bullshit.

You can in relation to the question asked. he wanted to know if he would be tall if he moved to America. The answer is both yes and no depending on where you move to. If you move to an area with a low Asian and Hispanic population then yes, You can exclude them from the statistics.

Veeky Forums is 99% manlets and they're worshipping historical manlet, not sure what the problem is here

go back to highschool americuck.

Hmmmm this makes a lot of sense
Im from a cold country and my ankles/calves are very thick. Same thing for all my siblings.

Vikings were around 175 cm tall on average going by bones and shit they examined.

Did you even read it?

People weren't stupid, especially the vikings. They knew physical work built muscle and they new eating a lot also made you big. Why would you assume they were so retarded that they just picked up sticks and ate scraps. They worked hard on furthering themselves and feasted.

For the same reason people from that part of the world are still taller than everyone else:

Genetics.

Even nutrition everywhere is shit, then they are still relatively taller.

If you couldn't figure that out on your own, you should be sterilized.

I've finally found a heathen on Veeky Forums that wasn't a Asatard in one of /pol/s pagan bashing threads.

As an ASH this is a good feeling.

Manlets die in battle

you're mom selected for my dick more than your other siblings did

No, I'm saying that Vikings were a culture of people with little time to spare towards anything other than their job and also had little nourishment on top of that. I'm not sure what "hard work" people would be doing besides hunting, building, and fighting. It's like trying to say peasants of the middle ages were yoked because they "worked hard", doesn't make any sense. Like peasants, vikings were likely really skinny and short.

Only Jarls were vikings. The aristocravy basically. They would have plenty food to get big and strong. The thralls might have been skinnier shorter and weaker though. Compare aristocratic Greek citizens such as Spartans with Helots as well

There are dozens of us!

To go Viking meant to go travel on an expedition, that mostly involved trade but may have involved raiding. Vikings were also freemen, not just nobility.

So the more work we do the shorter and weaker we get?

"The examination of skeletons from different localities in Scandinavia reveals that the average height of the Vikings was a little less than that of today: men were about 5 ft 7-3/4 in. tall and women 5 ft 2-1/2 in. The most extensive recent anthropological study was carried out in Denmark, but the situation must have been similar elsewhere. Skeletons of people as tall as 6 ft 1/2 in. have been found, and those in richly furnished Viking graves - belonging to high- ranking people - were on average considerably taller than those in the more ordinary graves, undoubtedly because of better living conditions. A double grave on Langeland in Denmark contained two adult males, typically, the smaller one had been decapitated, and had probably had his hands tied behind his back, while the other was interred with his spear in the normal fashion - obviously a case of a slave (measuring 5 ft 7-1/4 in.) who had to accompany his master (5 ft 9-3/4 in.) in death. However, the skeleton found in Jelling church, thought to be that of King Gorm of Denmark (later known as Gorm the Old), was only of average height. This man was 5 ft 7-3/4 in. tall, with heavy, robust features, but not heavily built." (Else Roesdahl, The Vikings, p. 31).

In 921, an Arab, Ibn Fadlan was sent by the Caliph of Bagdad to accompany an embassy to the King of the Bulgars of the Middle Volga. Ibn Fadlan wrote an account of his journeys with the embassy, called a Risala. During the course of his journey, Ibn Fadlan met a people called the Rus, a group of Swedish origin, acting as traders in the Bulgar capital. Ibn Fadlan tells us:

"I have seen the Rus as they came on their merchant journeys and encamped by the Volga. I have never seen more perfect physical specimens, tall as date palms, blonde and ruddy..."

European observers made similar observations. The Annals of Fulda record that, in 884, the Franks defeated a party of attacking Vikings in a battle in Saxony, mentioning their great size:

Quales numquam antea in gente Francorum visi fuissent, in pulchritudine videlicet ac proceritate corporum.

[In that battle such men are said to have been killed among the Northmen as had never been seen before among the Frankish people, namely in their beauty and the size of their bodies]. (Coupland, pp. 188-189)

You are right, and he is half right.

Animals in colder areas are
1.Larger than their warm-area relatives
2.Shorter but thicker limbs than their warm-area relatives

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann's_rule
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen's_rule

For reference, polar bears are the largest bears, siberian tigers are the largest tigers (and felines), mammoths were considered larger than elephants.

>lanklet delusion

>Overwork and bad nutrition leads to physical impairments
Wow you're a fucking genius

Thats probably because vikings were farmers with a protein heavy diet(relative to most other countries), and also warriors.

hollywood

they were 5'9 in a world of 5'6/5'7 saxons, just like the celts were 5'7 in a world of 5'4 romans

Achmed pls, just because your race never surpassed the 5'7" height that doesn't mean that white men 1200 years ago weren't taller than you are today