Wendlers 531

Is wendlers 531 a wank? The first and the last week seems like a waste of time, just cant understand how can i gain if i do one leg day a week and the strength part of it is just slacking off. Could i just use week 2 and 3s rep scheme in my PPLx program and take the percentages off my actual maxes not just 0.9 of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

t-nation.com/workouts/boring-but-big-3-month-challenge
t-nation.com/training/complete-power-look-program
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Made some decent strength gainz on it

So what's the best intermediate program and why?

Bump

muscle and strength pyramid ebook by eric helms

Been doing it for a year, pretty much nonstop strength gains.

It works great. 5/3/1 is one component of the program, there are templates with different focus (and many more sets and reps to do on top of basic 5/3/1). Look for boring but big and triumvirate schemes.

Btw, the lower intensity of weeks 1 & 4 are part of the periodization of 5/3/1. Any carefully detailed program will take this in account in order to increase your strength. Even a LP one (such as Canditos).

The AMRAP set on week one should provide enough volume for the day since you would usually be able to crank out 8+ reps on it and wendler has advised for younger lifters who have better recover than the 30+ year old lifters or the advanced younger lifters 5/3/1 is aimed toward, to do multiple 1-3 week cycles back to back to back before doing a deload so instead of monthly youd be only doing it as few as a 2-3 times a year

I know a guy who reccomends doing 5% deloads every 6 week cycle of canditos n he likes it

Alright someone smarter than me made the program maybe i should give it a try. But how about protein synthesis taking only 48 hours? Im scared that my muscles will just melt away if i train a musclegroup just once a week.

Someone aware me on why 5/3/1 is good for naturals (specifically BBB) when each body part is only meaningfully hit once per week.

If your goal is strength you would probably get better results doing another program or heavily modifying 5/3/1. The low frequency of the lifts, the low volume, the low amount of "heavy enough" lifts(75-85% of 1RM) and the constant AMRAPs(huge effort for low reward) makes it kind of suboptimal for training for strength. Not to say that it's bad, but I believe a more boring program(high volume, medium intensity, a more planned out periodization) would be better for strength long term.

You'll hit each group twice a week:
> t-nation.com/workouts/boring-but-big-3-month-challenge

Logically, it is expected that you do the 3 assistance work at least, and also take your amrap seriously.

You should read more about 531, it's not just the table you posted. You are also meant to do accesory work, which is most of the volume.
Also, it's not each muscegroup once per weak but each movement. Together with accessory work, you train each muscle more than once a week.

Yes, but still the protein synthesis would take 48-72 hours which after i would be ready to do another workout. Feels like wasting time when doing a 4 day split

All the templates in the book have each upper body muscle group hit once a week.

Question: BBB groups different muscle groups together but could I swap the assistance movements around to get everything hit twice a week?
Eg instead of:

Day X
Bench 5/3/1
Bench 5x10

Day Y
OHP 5/3/1
OHP 5x10

I would do

Bench 5/3/1
OHP 5x10

OHP 5/3/1
Bench 5x10

Will this work?

531 works really well when those percentages are so taxing from a neuro standpoint that you need a lot of recovery between training sessions.

That being said, it benefits from a little "fleshing out" with accessory lifts.

This is my biggest problem with it, I can understand only squatting/deadlifting once a week when you're pushing +600lbs in those sessions, but otherwise it just feels like you can do way more.

What you're describing is actually what Wendler recommends in some of writings more recently. If you switch it around I find it actually works a little better, just do one or two warm up sets before the 5x10

What about this for more volume? t-nation.com/training/complete-power-look-program

Just did Canditos linear 6 weeks program, but I dont like squatting and dl on the same day.

I understand being weary about it but tfh I've never made better ohp and bench gans than doing BBB/Bodybuilding template. Perhaps brosplits were actually good all this time, who the fuck knows anymore.

It's meant for slow and regular progression, m8. You do the compound lifts for strength then a shitload of accessory work for hypertrophy.

Just because you could probably do another pl8 doesn't mean you should or have to. If you really can do way more than you're currently doing, use the 1x1+ set on the third week to go to failure and find out what your new max is, then recalculate.

Is 5/3/1 good for cutting?

4 day upper/lower texas method with lots of upperbody volume

best way

nothing is good for cutting
Sheiko if you have the time and autism
what numbers to what numbers

considering giving 5/3/1 triumvirate + jokers and FSL a go just because my life is busy as fuck now and I have little time to train

what happens if you literally just skip leg day on the deload weeks? surely they can't be that important.

try candito 6 week

I'm doing 5/3/1 bbb while cutting, strength still going up.