Highbar or lowbar?

highbar or lowbar?

youtube.com/watch?v=yQuCi2h_kNI

this thinks highbar, generally.

but i really want butt. so i follow rips advice.

but why does rip want us to lowbar ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VX8msgwF_nQ
coffeesgym.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/the-low-bar-squat-is-not-an-exercise/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ripp's squats are VERY hip and posterior-chain dominant because he wants you moving a lot of weight fast. You sacrifice your quad development so you will have a mediocre squat.

Do highbar and incorporate Glute thrusts into your workout once you finish with SS because it's a good lift for Glute gains and helps your DL too

lowbar if you also do front squats otherwise high

High bar = Veeky Forums (badass)
Low bar = reddit (dyel)
Front squat = 9gag/ratemypoo.com (straight shit)

I don't understand why you would ever do highbar when you get more quad development out of front squats...

at least low bar fags get a nice bubble butt

Low bar feels way better for me. Squatted high bar for 1 and a half years and ever since I made the switch squatting is more fun and I'm moving more weight.
I pull sumo so my quads still getting enough work.

t. I have poor mobility

aren't lowbar easier if you have shit mobility?

Yup

>alan thrall

Both. Low bar will transfer to deadlift a lot, but doesn't stimulate quads as much as high bar, which doesn't transfer to squat very well.
I just use a safety squat bar instead of doing legit high bar because it hits my back and core much better imo.

Lowbar squats still heavily involve the quads, just slightly less. Ultimately there's so little difference it doesn't matter unless you're highly autistic.

Transfer to deadlift*

i think i will go for rip's advice until at least 2 plates.
then switch it up with highbar in a year or so.

that's fine if you have good mobility. if you have shit ankle/hip mobility then you can't maintain that upright back and hit depth. people who has those problems can usually squat under parallel with only lowbar posititon.

and if you think that highbar works more muscles you are wrong. just because you can't feel a muscle working doesn't mean it isn't being used.

I'd recommend the opposite. High bar to at least 2 plates it will have better carry over to low bar and you can fix your flexibility issues (if you have them) while you go up in weight vs trying to fix them when you already have a heavy ass load on your back.

Why not address your shitty mobility while you get used to the lift. Instead of settling on low bar and shitty mobility. It is going to be way easier to address your mobility as you do the lift then trying to address it when your working toward a 3 plate squat.

My main squat is semi-lowbar and i use highbar as assistance.

i don't understand why people think you can only do one type of squat

frontsquats take more mobility than high bar squats lmao...

It's mostly retards new to lifting who think one is superior to the other.

tfw you can only high bar squat because of crippling tendinitis and nerve pain.

>why you would ever do highbar
I dunno, ask olympic weightlifters. The fuckers with the strongest fucking quads around. They high bar more weight and go ATG than raw powerlifter low bar to parallel.

i have a lot of issues, but i think i fixed a lot of flex issues. i can now touch my head to my knee with straight legs.

i have the pinching sensation in the front of my ankle that means i have an obstruction there, so i need to use some rubber band work on it. and i am not sure if working that spot will only affect 1 workout each time or if the obstruction will go away at some point.

second i need to do lizard lunges to open up my hips and remove the pinching sensations there.

my ankle flexibility should be good to. i can touch my toes with my elbow with a fully stretched leg(lifting my toes up under something)

youtu.be/VX8msgwF_nQ

Except 95% of Veeky Forums wants to look like olympic weightlifters not like fat ass power lifters.

Please try again

You got memed on newbitch.

Get Olympic lifting shoes with a raised heel. They will help greatly with any ankle pain while high bar squatting.

but its the front of my ankle. raised heel would only make it worse.

>gets BTFO
>b-but he's f-f-fat
He still wrecks any raw squat an Olympic lifter has done. You don't have to look like the guy, I was just proving your dumbass statement wrong.

>implying doing a certain type of squat effects your bodyfat

Not exact, when you high bar squat your ankle joint angle will be around 75 degrees normally or so. Its one of the reasons people's heel come off the ground as they don't have the flexibility in the ankle to get their ankle to that.

When you low bar due to the body lean and the way your hips sit back your ankle tends to stay at that 90 degree angle.

Weightlifting shoes will keep your angle at 90 degrees when you high bar squat. Best way to test it is to take a 10 or 25 lb plate, put it under your heel and squat like your high bar squatting and see if it bothers your ankle.

I just moved and my new normie gym has 45 pound barbells with 0 knurling on them so lowbar squat became impossible. I got to a 365 lowbar squat now im working my way up from 2 plate to get it for highbar now.

Yes there is a big difference between them. Idk how people think they are just "slightly different."

coffeesgym.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/the-low-bar-squat-is-not-an-exercise/

High bar to Low bar has better carry over then Low bar to high bar. Another reason i think unless your into power lifting, high bar is better overall for general strength purposes.

oops meant to >grees when you high bar squat. Best way to test it is to take a 10 or 25 lb plate, put it under your heel and squat like your high bar squatting and see if it bothers your ankle.
>>>

those powerlifters that go on a cut are fucking built like a tank. you think that fat is moving all that weight?

Are you a powerlifter? Then do lowbar.

If you aren't then do highbar. That is unless you are only there for pure ego lifting, as you can generally move a little more weight in lowbar.

>>Yes there is a big difference between them. Idk how people think they are just "slightly different."
But there is only a slight difference between them. You'll probably get your highbar to ~90% of your lowbar in a months time.

I rotate high bar and low bar every set

4x5

2 hi
2 lo

Put a bar on your traps, squat. Hows it feel? Great? Great, squat like that.

Feel shit? Move the bar lower, squat. Hows it feel? Great, squat like that

Feel shit in both positions? Front squat.

Still feel shit? Mobilise the shit out of your shoulders/pecs/lats/hips/groin and try again

The main thing is to pick a squat you like

Rippetoe squat form is good for taking a dump in a public restroom when you don't want toilet seat contact- otherwise high bar master race

How do you address mobility?

Americans are so fucking stupid, how can you put the bar slightly lower on your back and arrive at this piece of shit? Why do every idiot on the internet think that a lowbar squat happens by pushing your ass a mile back and folding your back almost horizontal to the ground?