5/3/1 general

I've been seeing a lot of 5/3/1 threads pop up lately so I figured we could have a dedicated thread for it, and hopefully it'll stick around for a bit before 7 >tfw no gf threads replace it

How autistic do I have to be with my calculations? For example, my first set for bench is supposed to be 131.5. Can I just slap on 1pl8 and use that?

Other urls found in this thread:

jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101082310-the-training-max-what-you-need-to-know
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>131.5
Try to get as close as possible to that weight. Usually you can't be exact and you have to choose a weight either a bit below or a bit above what you are supposed to lift. Depending on your mood on that day you can decide whether it should be in increment lighter or heavier.

You shouldn't be doing 5/3/1 when anything around 1pl8 is weight you'll be benching. Just do literally anything else.

5 3 1 is autoregulated, which means that you will increase weight as much as you can after each block

I usually round up if I'm feeling really good that day, and round down if I'm doing a joker set or feel meh

Whys that

Because you literally progress once a month, while you can most likely still progress weekly

>130lb bench
>doing 5/3/1

unless you're a female i think you're wasting your time desu

yes you're kind of right, but it would just be much simpler and easier for a novice to milk out a linear progression scheme

Why should you progress so fast? With 5/3/1 you can progress 30kg in bench/OHP and 60kg squat/diddly in just ONE year. Just imagine if you would use it like ten years.

I've been stuck on 225 for like 3 reps for a while now

See My max is definitely not 130. I can crank tons of those

progress does not work this way unfortunately, or i would be squatting 1200lbs

Yes, but you probably won't because it has shit for volume and frequency.

When you're only benching 1 plate it should take a couple of months to add 30kg to it

5/3/1 is pretty shit, especially when you're still lifting relatively beginner weights. You're only slowing yourself down. But have fun thinking your bench will go up when you're benching one day a week only.

I use a 1 rep max calculator that breaks it down by percentage and rounds it for me.

doing 5/3/1 atm, I'm at
> 207 kg diddly
> 158 kg squat
> 110 kg banch
> 65 kg OHP
I'm progressing fast and loving it. Doing the BBB version, and using the app, which works really well.

OG 5/3/1 isn't good for bench famalam, add another bench day and do BBB

5/3/1 is the gains goblin of programs. I did it for like a entire year and progressed like shit. There's not near enough volume at the weights you're working at. 90-95% of 90%? God damn man. Fuck that. Sure you can do more if you feel up for it but you won't cuz you'll not be used to moving actual weight. I hated training on 5/3/1. It's fucking boring and shitty. Even his assistance program is called boring but big. If you want a program that has you moving weight and has decent volume do Doug Hepburn's routines. He's got 3 of them out there and they're good enough volume you'll get some mass and the weights are high enough you'll get strong. Fuck 5/3/1

>under 1plate
>doing something to increase your bench when you get stuck

Just do anything else

>see a bunch of people on Veeky Forums praising 5/3/1 awhile back
>I jump on the routine hoping to break past my plateau
>about to start my second cycle, see this thread
>everyone is shitting on 5/3/1
>feel conflicted now

God fucking damn it Veeky Forums

Day 1 – Chest
- Bench 5/3/1 with first rep last
- Incline Bench 5x10 @ 50-70% WM
- Face Pulls 5x10
- Chestly Flyes 3x10
Day 2 – Deadlift
- Deadlift 5/3/1 with first rep last
- Squats 5x10 @ 50-70% WM
- Pull ups (weighted) 3x5-F
- Incline Curls 3x8
- Reverse Curls 3x8
Day 3 – Shoulders
- OHP 5/3/1 with first rep last
- Bench 5x10 @ 50-70% WM
- Face Pulls 5x10
- Lateral Raises 3x8
Day 4 – Squats
- Squats 5/3/1 with first rep last
- Deadlift 5x10 @ 50-70% WM
- Pulls ups (bodyweight) 5x10
- Dumbbell Row 3x8

I ran this for three months during last summer between semesters. My lifts saw a pretty huge jump and I noticed a good amount of hypertrophy.
It's hard to sustain and I was sore and tired, but doing this at a 500 calorie surplus while hitting all my macros was great.
I addressed the usual concern of not moving up often enough by completely recalculating my one rep max, and therefor my working max based off the progress I'd made throughout the month. What I mean is that instead of just adding the usual 5lbs for upper body and 10lbs for lower body, I'd add whatever was required after calculating my theoretical one rep max off of my new highest weight rep max for that month. That usually meant ~15lbs for upper body and ~30lbs for lower.
I also cut out recovery weeks completely, which I think helped a lot in terms of progress, and when I started I was just about 1/2/3/4 for reps so it wasn't like I was doing crazy weight that required careful recovery.

All in all, with a couple modifications, every complaint against 5/3/1 with a BBB assistance setup can be addressed.
The program works great once you're no longer a novice.

So, had you read Wendler's book, you would have realised that you only use the 95 of 90 for the first month, then you use 90-95% of your 1rm for your next mesocycle.

5/3/1 is a great program that is very open to customization.

Not entirely true. 5/3/1 is actually somewhat of a linear progression scheme, albeit closer to a block than weekly. Most months you add 10/10/5 to your E1RM, unless yes, you bang out 5 reps on your 1+ week.

I completely agree with this sentiment. I resisted adding a second bench day to 5/3/1, but after missing podium at a meet because of my poverty bench, I finally smartened up and ditched OHP days in favour of a Spotopress day on Monday.

No. I read the articles he posted online. He endorses his "training max" throughout the whole thing. Never once in them does he say to move away from the training max. If he says it in his book that is the one place where he does because all his online articles and interviews he pushes that training max shit.

jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101082310-the-training-max-what-you-need-to-know

You should at least do two cycles before each deload (more if you're up for it), one first set last, and switch the assistance to the other corresponding U or L day to get more out of 5/3/1. I think Wendler himself says so in Beyond 5/3/1, it's been a while since I read it.
ie:
Bench 5/3/1 + OHP assistance
Squat 5/3/1 + Deadlift assistance
OHP 5/3/1 + Bench assistance
Dead 5/3/1 + Squat assistance

This gives more volume which a lot of people complain about, and you hit your main lifts twice instead of once a week. You can customize the shit out of the program so people who have basic complaints just haven't put enough effort into learning about it.
I prefer doing 5x5 pause deadlift or something instead of 5x10, and sometimes the same with bench/squat if I feel like I need it. I've started doing an extra set of 5 (around the first set last weight) of OHP and Bench too because I feel like I could use it.

You do know this just proves my point right? Sure he says change the TM but in that whole thing he says to still use a TM and he even emphasises a "low" TM.

He literally says "There is no hard rule for your TM"

At any rate, I would recommend discontinuing the 90 of 90 and instead basing the calculations off your 1rm directly.

Right. I can pick out pieces of an article to prove my point too man. But the whole tone of the argument is in favor of a training max and a low one that that. You can like 5/3/1 all you want. It's your lift not mine but don't get all shitter shattered because someone doesn't like your thing and then treat people like idiots. Especially since you're a massive faggot using a trip code on an anonymous image forum.

Hey you seem to remember more about the books than me. I think I remember reading something like you should hit like 5-8-10 reps on your last work sets, but that's way too many for me. Right now I'm getting 5, 3 or 1 rep exactly or maybe one or two more depending on the lift.
I'm setting PRs so should I keep doing what I'm doing or should I decrease my TM a bit? I've never decreased it before, but I have repeated cycles where I didn't increase it for bench or OHP because of minor stalling.

It works guys, just really slowly and gradually, so you still see plenty of faggots doing SS and going up 5lb every week calling it stupid because of unclear and nebulous reasons.

>a massive faggot

Friend, please don't act like a nine year old when you're trying to prove a point. I otherwise can accept what you said, but when you go calling people "faggot" it's really hard for me to take you seriously at all.

I actually aim a little closer for 7 on 5+, 5 on 3+, and 2 on 1+ days all around 9 RPE, but that's because I train for PL and enjoy the higher intensity. If you're only getting prescribed reps and they truly are a 10 RPE, I would lower my training max.

Been doing 531 for a while and I'm had great progress. Currently my working weights are
390 bench
490 DL
510 squat
230 ohp

Stick it out and do the 5x10s senpai

I don't think they're 10 RPE. I've just been having bad and unfocused sessions recently, I have more in the tank but I just can't use it for some reason.
I was sick and just had two weeks off lifting and I squatted for the first time today and it felt really good. Like I haven't felt this comfortable squatting all year and I even set a rep PR, so I think I can stay with the heavy weights for a bit longer if I keep feeling like this. I think my body was really beat up from not having a good break for 1+ year. I took deload weeks, but from now on I'm gonna take it more easy in them.

By the way what do you think about 5/3/1 for cutting? I was thinking of just repeating the same cycle and trying to hit the same weights and reps, and doing a bit less volume on the assistance. I figure it's an easy way to monitor potential strength loss, and I enjoy the program setup anyway.

>By the way what do you think about 5/3/1 for cutting?

I think it's quite well set up. I'd continue to try and advance monthly, but don't raise the weight if you can't get a couple extra reps in on the + sets.

Which app`? There seem to be several 531 apps.

So what does Veeky Forums think about the juggernaut method wich is basically the better 5/3/1?

Is 5/3/1 BBB really that good for size? I'd like to try some more hypertrophy oriented routine after some strength programs and hybrids i have done.
Or should i just do upper lower split with high reps?

What is 5/3/1?

I have been doing SL for 3 months and I wanna do something else.

I'm doing canditos until I reach 3pl8 squat and 4pl8 DL then I'll switch to 5/3/1. Currently at 1/2 for ohp and bp, 1.5/3 for squat and DL

No.

Exactly what you said

Don't forget to eat your brain candy

sheiko or 5/3/1 for cut?
im afraid of benching heavy just once a week because my strength may plummet

read beyond 531 before you post
do a beyond 531 variation. powerliftingtowin has an example if the site is up

linear 6 week or 6 week?

LP

Ok, we are nearly on the same path. Happy lifting!

IMO 5/3/1 is more dedicated towards hypertrophy and strength than traditional 5x5 because you can increase sets and decrease or increase weight as necessary while working within guidelines.

Day 1 of Week: Bench Press
>2 warmups of 135x8 185x3
>225x5 235x3 240x1 245x1 235x2-3
This not only increases strength endurance for your next workout, which can again be modified to achieve specific results but also trains your CNS to accommodate enhanced load. When you go in next time, you focus again on where you lack endurance wise. All lifts should be unassisted and I'm talking to the gymbros with their buddy helping them the entire time. I've been learning to fail and pull back to hit the safeties instead of asking for a spot, its dangerous but worth it because I know when I've reached my max.
Day 2 of Week: Bench Press
>2 Warmups '' ''
>225x5 225x4-5 235x2-3 225x4-5 245x1 225x3-5

This not only accomplishes a goal of hypertrophy but muscular endurance at an 80-85% of strength potential. Then I switch to Day 1 next time or increase the weights as necessary. The goal is to get 225x5x5 across the board on one day and move up to 230x5 when possible. You gotta eat though, and I've been failing on that aspect meaning progress is slow but lean gains come.

As a warning, this is all followed by accessory work as I'm trying to build a strength foundation with body building aesthetic results. I would call this a intermediate-advanced style of training not for anyone training with improper form in the first 6mo-2 years

Also she probably has a tight pussy. Gat dam