antranik.org/bodyweight-training
globalbodyweighttraining.com
startbodyweight.com
/r/bodyweightfitness
fitloop.co

>Youtube Channels

youtube.com/user/FitnessFAQs/videos

>Books

The Naked Warrior - www.pdfarchive.info/pdf/T/Ts/Tsatsouline_Pavel_-_The_naked_warrior.pdf
You Are Your Own Gym - www.pdfarchive.info/pdf/L/La/Lauren_Mark_-_You_are_your_own_gym.pdf
Overcoming Gravity
Coach Sommers Mastering GST Series

>tl;dr version?

Pressing/Planche Variations

- Pushups (Normal/Diamond/Pseudo-planche/Tuck-Planche)
- Dips
- Handstand Pushups (Elevated pike/Headstand/Handstand)
- Planche (Frogstand/Straight-arm frog/Tuck/Flat tuck/Straddle/Half/Full)

Pulling

- Rows
- Chin/Pull Up variations
- Rope climbing

Legs

- Pistol Squats
- Shrimp Squats
- Lunges

Core Strength (First 4 should be held for 3-5 sets for 60s each with little rest (1-2 min) between sets. 30s sets are fine for L-sits and pseudo-planche leans). The rational for the short rest period is that these are basic positions that you should be very comfortable in.

- Plank Variations (Forearm/Straight-Arm/Pseudo-planche Leans)
- Hollow Body Hold
- Arch Body Hold (don’t do this if you have low back issues)
- L-Sits
- Dragon Flags
- Front/Back/Side Levers Progressions

>Safest Static Hold Progression
Steady State Cycles: www.antranik.org/how-to-implement-a-steady-state-training-cycle

>Common Prereqs
> www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/3750-prerequisites/?p=93540

>Wrist Prehab
www.kitlaughlin.com/docs/wrist-mobility_bodyline-exercises_handstands.pdf

>Bicep Tendon Prep
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaH_HUMooyM

>Based Scooby teaches you how to do a pull Up
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

>How to make parallettes out of PVC
library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/13_03_Parallettes.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine/
youtube.com/watch?v=mSZWSQSSEjE
youtube.com/watch?v=_4EGPVJuqfA
youtube.com/watch?v=Tjoime5yemE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump. How quickly should I be making rep gains for pushups? I'm currently doing 3 x 50 for pushups (probably takes around 3 to 3.5 minutes to complete each set, I'm not exactly pumping them out rapid fire) with strict form. I'd eventually like to be able to do around 100 pushhups in under two minutes. Should I just stick with small increments in my reps (+1 rep a week each set) or try something else?

How do I boost my core strength beyond "do a shitload of planks"?

You should really move onto a harder push-up variation. When I was a kid I'd just do max push-ups Evey morning and evening. Got to 100 in 2 months from a beggining of 30 so I'm not too sure how to train for that.

Start learning L sits and dragon flags. Two of the best core exercises IMO.

if i'm doing SL 5x5, what's the best bodyweight routine to complement it?

bumping, genuinely interested

How do you cope with the inability to participate in Veeky Forums traditions like comparing 1RMs when all you do is bodyweight?

If you're already following a weight routine, I don't think you should add another routine on top of that. You'd be better off adding a few bodyweight exercises to your workout days.

I do weights and bw.
Even so I guess I could say (even tho I cant just yet) that I can do ninety degree push-ups or can rep out one arm chins.

I got a question as Im very new to fitness and just lost about 70lbs of weight. I started doing body weight exercises, but without any real routine. I usually do 20-30 sets of pushup variations (max reps) and the same number of crunch/situp variation sets (max reps) every day. That results in like 500 pushup variation reps and 500 crunch/situp variation reps every day with my current strength. Im not really sure if this is fine or not.

6'1
195 lbs

Thought I'd get the most reasonable answers here as Im only doing body weight exercises for now (besides curls (+variations) with 8kg DBs)

Pullups and pushups. is it better to do fast reps or slow?

which ones do you think would be the most beneficial? SL is only 5 lifts so there must be something bodyweight could cover that i'm missing

No, this is not a good routine at all. Search for the Redditch bodyweight fitness recommend routine and follow that. Also invest in a pair of gymnast rings, they allow you to do push-ups, pull ups dips, rows and more. If you have no where to hang them then get a door way pullup bar and hang it from that.

Depends. Fast if you want to build explosiveness and slower for normal reps.

I do hybrid routine.

Besides, if I list that I do sets of one arm chin ups for multiple reps I get respect.

Reddit*

Thanks.
Not sure, but did you mean this?
reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine/

Also, why is it so important to have a routine?

Someone post that pic that cover a bunch of exercises and it's levels of difficulty.

How do I into a hybrid routine?

Just add chin ups and dips

How will I live without participating in estating circle jerks?

practice one handed pullups maybe?

Those 5 lifts cover your entire body, so you're not missing anything. In terms of strength or size, you don't have to do any bodyweight exercises yet, unless you want to get a headstart on them. In that case, you could add pullups/chinups and dips/pushups to your workout days, maybe A + pullups, B + dips, A + chinups, B + pushups, repeat.

>Also, why is it so important to have a routine?
For the same reason that it's important to have a design plan when making a building or a recipe for a meal. If you don't have a firm plan of what to do, you'll either fuck up or not get anywhere.

Pic related?

>participate in Veeky Forums traditions like comparing 1RMs

It's not as though body-weight exercises are without their own competition standards e.g. how long a position can be held, most reps in a set time, maximum reps to exhaustion etc.

This is true but alot of Veeky Forums shits on calisthenics and says it's easy. Not many can do a full planche or back lever tho.

Mainly because the most they know from bodyweight exercises are dips, pushups, pullups and planks.

Yep.

>For the same reason that it's important to have a design plan when making a building or a recipe for a meal. If you don't have a firm plan of what to do, you'll either fuck up or not get anywhere.
Well, I kinda get that, but I don't really have the understanding why a specific plan of exercises seperated in sets with a specific amount of reps is better than just doing a steady amount of exercises and adjusting the difficulty by using different variations. Is there a good place to read about that? I didn't find much useful info in the sticky about that specifically..

Thanks for answering and If you have the patience to explain that stuff to me go ahead, if not thank you anyways

Not him but anyway.
No offense man, but your old routine was shitty and not balanced at all. If your just doing 50p reps of push-ups a night you're not gonna make any gains and with horizontal pulling you'll have terrible rounded shoulders and bad posture overall.

Without horizontal pulling*

Sure might be, its just what I started doing after I lost a lot of weight. Haven't been doing this for long. Just did like 500 reps total for pushup variations and the same for situp variations + some smaller things like 5 90s planks each day. I did it like that because I can just do a maxrep set of each exercise in like 5 minutes total (my maxrep is shit, no strength and still overweight)

Did that because I usually don't have uninterrupted periods oftime to do more than that at the moment, will change in like a week (will have more time soon)

It wasn't meant as a permanent "routine" if you can even call it a routine

>I don't really have the understanding why a specific plan of exercises seperated in sets with a specific amount of reps is better than just doing a steady amount of exercises and adjusting the difficulty by using different variations
In terms of bodyweight exercise, you do mix them, i.e. you do a set amount of reps and sets, and then increase the difficulty by doing a variation of the same exercise.

The reason for "x amount of reps for x amount of sets" generally comes from exercise science, where it's been found over the years that muscles respond differently to, for instance, high weight and low reps than low weight and high reps. The body is pretty good at responding adequately to specific stimuli. That's why really high rep ranges(20+) do more for endurance than for strength and size, because at that range, whatever you're doing becomes an endurance exercise, not a strength one. It's the same reason that you can't get big quads from jogging, because the load is too low and the "reps" are too high.

Yeah, I already understood that. But what I was trying to do was doing hard variations (for me diamond pushups or pseudo planche pushups are pretty hard already), do them until I can't do any more, take a break and do the same thing again (like 20-30 of those "sets" each day). I always ajusted the difficulty of the exercises so that my max reps were between 10 and 20 (usually came down to narrow or diamond pushups and pseudo planche pushups)

20-30 sets to failure every day? Sorry to put it this way, but that's completely ridiculous. The 'gains' curve pretty much stops increasing after 5-6 sets, so 20-30 is beyond overkill.
It's good that you keep the rep range between 10 and 20, but I think you should stick to 10 or 12, and increase the difficulty.

This is really useful, thank you user.

Thanks for the advice mate

So reps are fine at around 10 and sets are enough at 5-6?
Do more sets hurt? I mean I have the a lot of 10-15 minute timeframes in which I can do exercises, but if its counterproductive I can of course stop that..

Anyways thanks for the good response and your patience, didn't expect this when I came to this board desu senpai. Nice to see that there are some people here that will talk to new guys

Anybody know of good "freestanding" pullup bars like pic related? I'd buy pic related, but it's Wal-mart and I'm not confident enough in their quality to blind buy--some of the reviews say the bar flexes a bit.

Better to get power tower for dips.
I got mine at big5

Best bet would be a solid power tower or DIY.

There's a real market for hybrid routines out there I think. E.g "do this barbell exercise to help you achieve this calisthenic feat". It's all either pure calisthenics or pure weights.

>tfw 100kg
Every doorway pull up bar I can find can't hold my weight

That looks like a squat stand with a pull-up bar at the top, senpai.

I've done pull-ups with 90 lbs added weighing 180 lbs on my doorway bar.

But that wont happen.
You can use weights to assist yourself to do a calisthenics move but you cant do it by pure lifting.

Op here.
I wanna hear some goal you bros have for 2017 mine are as follows
>One arm chins
>Dragon flag
>Tuck planche
>One leg out front lever
>Ring turned out dips
Other anons share tips on how to achieve said goals, and how long it's taken him/her.

Should I just keep cutting forever if my goal is to get higher push/pull up reps and lower my run/swim times? Do I even need to bother with getting lots of protein if this is my goal?

I really wanted to get 1 arm chin up before 2017 but doesnt seem likely

In terms of other moves
>dragon flag
Do a lot of negatives with straight legs. Then start doing reps with a straddle. Thats how i got it without all the tucked stuff
>one leg out front lever
Greasing the groove. Do tucked front lever several times a day. Then do advanced tuck and get to 15 seconds. One leg out should be easy.
Also do tucked or advanced tucked front lever pulls
>ring turned out dips
Practice ring support and ring dips.

>make myself a hybrid routine
>get to ten pull ups
>get to at least a couple dips
>get to certain things such as L sits or dragon flags, still deciding on goals

my mobility is so shit i cant even do the most basic of leg stretches so fro 2017 id like

>enough mobility to at least do a full squat
>to be able to do 5-10 one armed pushups with each hand

and thats about it so far

what bar?

that's what im saying. Shit like the "gymnastic strength training" routines are actually kind of inaccurately named, as gymnasts use weights as well to perform movements. For instance, they train the deadlift to get a stronger back for movements which need the back. I've not seen an actual hybrid routine which advocates both weights and calisthenics

why not calisthenics to assist lifting?

Thanks brah. Why doesn't it seem likely? Surely if you're doing alot of weighted chins and assisted one arms you'll get it.

You'll get this thing np mang

Its december 30th lol i have 1 day.

>Before 2017
Didn't read that, assumed you meant during 2017.

Wanna start to pull myself over the bar by the end of 2017 plus i need to start getting coordinated and get better balance but im not sure how to exercise balance and coordination

saving this thread from the archive

God bless your soul.

how is a wall plank hard?

Bodyweight exercise builds balance and coordination. I know niggas who can squat 3pl8 on the barbell but can't do a single pistol squat. Complex movements like the muscle-up take a lot of coordination.

thank you anons

handstandpushups are awesome.
can do about 12-15 right now

I can barely do 2 now.
What i find most difficult is holding the position at the bottom, the actual pressing feels easy for me.

>12-15

holy shit
post pics

Can anyone vouch for this book?
>Complete Calisthenics: The Ultimate Guide To Bodyweight Exercise, by Ashley Kalym

yeah it's pretty dank

pics of what?
i do them with feet against wall for clarification

the balance aspect is the hardest i find. the strenght part u can prepare for by doing some OHP

Fuck off.

Seriously, anyone who's not retarded, is this worth a read?

Woah just take it easy man

Has anyone here had experience with jumping chin-ups to build the strength needed for real chin-ups? How well does it work?

this seems like a pretty harsh reaction considering you actually got an answer to your question

Yep thats how i got good at the pressing.
This is really good that means you can do the pressing part easily. You should start doing it free standing.

kek

Well, I thought he was teasing me. I was just wondering if anyone here's read it and applied it, or if it's not necessary given all the material that's already available.

Thats what I did in a 7th grade and ended up building strength for 3-5 pull ups. Its definitely a good idea and make sure to focus on the negative when you come down.

i will shortly ! ive done the balance part for fun without going down sometimes, could do like 10sec tops. but that was without warmup and in just a few mins. i'm really looking forward to getting good at this!

Feet on the wall like a supported handstand. Not necessarily hard, but not particularly easy.
You may be thinking of just leaning against a wall in a plank lol

Anyone who has done weight training and moved on to body weight training, whats the difference in muscle mass gain and strength gains you've noticed?

You will have more gains with balance and tendon strength.

Just bullshit like everyone else does

was doing body weight for like a good 2 months, i stopped because my job switched my work schedule and it just fucked up with my sleeping habits overall. Going to start again tomorrow with the basics and go from there. Body weight training works great for me because I'm somewhat of an introvert and don't like the whole gym scene, if anything I go to see how my dead lifts are doing. Why do you body weight Veeky Forums?

I like working out at home more
I like putting my tendons under stress
I like being shirtless during workouts
I also like the variety of exercises

i moved from weights to bodyweight a while ago. visually it's nothing dramatic you don't lose your gains neither do you pack on a crazy amount of new muscle because hurr novel stimulus. you're still doing resistance training and based on your eating that will dictate your gains. i like it more because it's varied but it's the same thing basically - getting strong. people who think lifting and bodyweight are on two ends of a spectrum are just close-minded faggots really.

On the arch hold.

When I try to bring my legs up with my feet together, my legs start to arch kinda like I'm bow-legged. Is this bad form and should I strive to raise my legs together, as straight as possible?

Also what muscled is it supposed to be working? I mostly feel it in the hamstrings and lower back.

I have been doing pic related for a month and a half. Red circles are showing where I am right now.

I have two questions;
1-I start trembling towards the end, and for an half a hour after workout. Any idea why?
2-My right wrist hurts during pike pushups and only during that. Why do you guys think so?

Any other suggestions/advice you would make?

I'm doing 20 wide, 20 diamond push ups, as many crunches as I can and 40 squats. Now I need a bicep/back exercise but I can't even do 1 rep pullup/chinup. What is the bodyweight way to build strength to do it?

>My right wrist hurts during pike pushups and only during that.

As you go down, make sure you keep your elbows close to your body, don't flare them to the sides. It can make the exercise a bit harder, but it's the proper way to do it, and it decreases wrist strain by distributing some of it to the elbow and shoulder.

That infographic is great, but look to other people when it comes to form. The guy is notorious for flaring his elbows to the sides, which is terrible. I mean that decline pike pushup picture is horrible, lol.

You can try these if you keep having wrist trouble: youtube.com/watch?v=mSZWSQSSEjE

also make sure your diamond pushup form looks like this: youtube.com/watch?v=_4EGPVJuqfA instead of what the infographic guy does

rows, and pullup progression exercises. basically columns 2. 6. in this pic:

Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'm flaring elbows. I'll try to fix the form in next workout.

I wonder, what is your routine?Can you post it?

those rounding shoulders are bad form

do negatives - step on a chair, grab the bar and let yourself down as slowly as possible.
the next step would be laying your feet on the chair while trying a pullup to help a little bit and then just reduce the force each week until you don't need it anymore.

Please help

get to a decently low bf and stay there
too low hinders performance and gains

bw row is easier

For dudes who train for BUD/S, how in the hell is it possible to improve in calisthenics AND running AND swimming all at the same time? Seems like there's no recovery time if you're training for BUD/S, and on top of that wouldn't the cardio kill at least some of your gains?

BUD/S?
Also I have experience with playing foot ball (2days per week) & cyling (2days per week) I recommend doing your calisthenics stuff beforehand, however it may effect your performance. Also cardio only kills gains if you're an idiot who doesnt eat.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tjoime5yemE

>mfw i thought it was too cheesy/cringy of an infomercial
>then i realized i was smiling back at the video
>did i just...?

i was just looking for pistol squat progressions, honest

Is 8.5% good or too low?

Why do I feel like this ugly, balding DYEL faggot gets mad pussy

Just go to the gym and use free weights you autistic losers