Running Thread

Running General Thread

Post goals, routines, stories, advice, questions, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
twitter.com/AnonBabble

is running for 500 cals in 35 mins good?
right now it's what I'm doing on threadmill 3 times a week (I don't go out now because it's too cold)

What is the distance? What is the pace?

using I do 30 mins, split in intervals of 2 mins:
>interval A is 11.5km/h at 0.5% incline
>interval B is 13mk/h at 3% incline
that makes it like 6.2km in 30 mins
during the remaining 5 mins I run slow as fuck so that I end up at 500 cals

I'm going to be running a marathon in October.

I have an 18 week training program to take me from about 3 mile runs, up to the full marathon.

In 18 weeks (so by start of May) I will be able to run a Marathon.

By then, I will have run 461 miles.

Where can I get information about nutrition?

Pic related.

Typically you burn around 100 calories/mile, which would put him at an average of 7:00/mile for 5 miles. Very respectable.

>tfw running in weather below 20 degrees F

Fuck this gay Earth

I've only recently gotten into running, and I'm slowly getting better. My problem is, I'm noticably better if I run in the evening than if I run in the morning. Is this a recognised thing/anyone know whats going on?

eating habits maybe?

Got 350-375 Miles on my Altra Superior 2.0s since getting them for Christmas of '15.

They're a little worn, but i can't find another pair anywhere (10.5, Grey/Green) and I don't want to take the chance on the Superior 3s being as good.

What do?

Also I really want the new Newton MV3s but they look like they're sponsored by McDonalds.

Image Familiar.

I've developed uneven legs most notably calves after an injury of my left ankle this past summer. My right leg dominates, but is there a way to make running or even cycling a solution to even them out? Ideally the stronger leg does not get stronger.

what do u guys think of while ur running

buttholes.

Life :'(

My waifu

Me in a better life

God damn those are some nice legs

Mine will never be that nice

I thought this is why we invented bicycles. I hate running so much I'd rather be 300 lb obese piece of shit than run a mile.

>tfw you come back to reality from a deep daydream and remember that you're running

recently, about the girl that broke up with me and how I can get her back :(

warmer muscles due to temp

ultraboost

just keep running and they will balance

I dropped most of my weight by walking actually. Of course by walking I mean borderline jogging at 4.5 mph on a 15-20 degree incline on the treadmill for an hour each gym session.

Oh that and I became bulimic, still am actually. 205 now just 25 more pounds until I'm at my goal weight.

>inb4 throwing up if you go over your caloric limit is bad for you

No shit Sherlock, but it fucking worked.

i do simple algebra problems in my head, i don't know why but its much easier while running than not

Started working out, could barely run a mile in 12 mins. 19 months later my best is 7:49. Might not seem like shit but I blew my PCL ligament on my knee a few years ago so it means a lot to me.

Squirrels. What that acorn they have in their mouth tastes like. If they have kids. If they are chasing another squirrel, wonder how hot the other squirrel is that they're chasing to sex.

I'm training for my first half marathon in mid February and on my crosstraining days I am doing pic related. Is this sufficient?

Pls respond

How my fat ass almost passed out during my first 3 story training session at the fire academy. The next round I'll be taking point ahead of my captain and I'm not going to let myself crap out again.

>farewell to joints the pic

Congrats!

I'm planning on running the half marathon this spring in my city to help with my cut. Right now I can do an 8 minute mile pretty comfortably.

Where do I get started?

Hope you can read this

hello, i want to get in to running but I don't know where I should start. reason being because I used to be a smoker and lifting wasn't really cardio so I never really felt how much my lungs deteriorated until I acrually went for a run.

>0.4mi in 4:50 before COMPLETELY winded

about 3-4 years ago I was able to run a 5mi event in about 40mins. and now I'm basically at square -1. I've already quit smoking, just passed a month 3 days ago. my lungs are starting to regain function again and I want to run again.

>4 days of rest at the end
I'd fuck it up and get fat desu

Yeah it's a little small but no big deal

Would it be harmful if I lifted on days I ran? Obviously I'm not going to push myself, but would it be a big issue?

Honestly I don't know. I am following that plan exactly. Other than a few push ups and meeting my step count, I am strictly running on run days and crosstraining on crosstrain days.

uh.. running i mean what else is there to tkink about when running, except putting one foot infront of the other, faster than walking

no you'd be fine
just eat enough

current goal is to be able to run a decent mile time I'd be happy with 5min30

I have been jogging about twice a week for the past 1-2 years, yet still I start feeling pain in my quads after about 5-7 mins of jogging. I've still completed miles before, best time being around 8:30, but the pain is still there. I don't know if it affects it, but I also do a "leg day" with squats and such once a week.

Thought of maybe upping it to 3 days a week jogging,but wanted to see if anyone here had any advice. My breathing is usually fine to go longer, but I stop because of the pain.

Goal for 2017: be able to run a half marathon by Thanksgiving.

I ran one this year but didn't train enough on hills and couldn't finish without walking. Gave up on running until yesterday. Could barely manage 2 miles then. I want to start running again and train for Thanksgiving next year, but lifting is my #1 priority. Can I get from 2 miles to 13 only running twice a week for 11 months?

Music and podcasts are nice.
Run on a track with qts and think about that jogger booty.
Think about what I'm gonna munch post run.

Thanks guys

Also, any recommendations for shoes? Right now I'm using these shitty old acers I've had for a while. I'm pretty broke so something with good bang for its buck

That's scary if you end up eating fat food.

Couch to 5k is supposed to be one of the best beginner running plans. I started from being just about as shitty as you (skelly as fuck, nothing but videogames all day) but I jumped onto my high school cross country team and got my ass kicked into shape. Sadly I don't know the specific schedule I ran but it's been six years since then and it's made me a better person in every way.

That's why I think about it during my run, If I just walk in and eat the first thing I see it'll be microwaved junk. If I thin my food while I'm running I can plan a healthy balanced meal.

Anyone feel really shitty after running? It's why I stopped. I had shit stamina, so when I stopped running, I would almost feel sick. This went on for months, so I don't know what happened. What's the best way to avoid this?

How do you make a treadmill more enjoyable? It gets to around -15 degrees where I live and it's way to cold

I don't know much about running nutrition but I seriously recommend using preworkuts for runs that are longer than 10 miles

Drink more water. Sleep more. Make sure you're not eating at a 1000 calorie deficit. If you maintain a healthy diet and sleep schedule your body will be able to adjust to your runs. Start with shorter distances (

I'm bulimic too it's hard to quit bro

It ranges from day to day really.

My ex was bulimic, her teeth were so rotten and I just thought it was bad hygiene. When I realized what was going on I felt so sick.

i daydream that i am an ambassador's son on some alien world doing cool shit with aliens

Can't people's teeth like start to dissolve because of all the stomach acid? I think I read that somewhere. Shit's fucked

My ex in high school was anorexic and had to go to the emergency room at one point

Does the soreness after runs ever stop? Leg doms feel good, but my knees and shins still ache and whine even after low mileage.
been running for a few years

Yeah, the acid is super strong (hence that's how it breaks down all your food) but when you barf some of it is in your barf and gets on your teeth, thus burning parts of it off and you get discolored ridged teeth

Hello Veeky Forumsizens!

I've been running to lose weight, plus, former army fag, I have a decent foundation to build on.

I've been aiming for six days a week, but life usually gets in the way of one. I do 5 miles, and average around 44 minutes, not great I know, but been improving. It's seen me drop near 30lbs since August, and I'm 17 pounds short of my goal of 165.

I want to clear 5 mile in under 40 minutes, and my best 1 mile time is 6:50, which I think is decent. I'm trying to continue my improvements. Good luck to you all!

toorealforme

>start your normal route
>engage autopilot
>start day dreaming
>run is half over before you even know it

Not really I've been running for 3 years now and still get sore everytime. get knee-braces and/or compression sleeves, they help me out a lot.

>(I don't go out now because it's too cold)

it was -5 here yesterday in Munich, Germany, I layered myself properly and went out for a 5k run. Didn't die, enjoyed pretty much every single step on the icy trail.

I used to run on the treadmill too, and will never do that again in my life. Just thinking about it makes me want to kill myself.

I always do HIIT for 20 minutes. On a threadmill. Walk 30 sec and run 60 sec. I want to spice up my HIIT excercize do you recommend something? I do HIIT to warm up and as cardio for fat loss.

>doing hiit for a warmup
and how do you warm up for the hiit sprints?

>gym has 2 treadmill rows facing each other
>not many actual runners, just curlbros running
>when i'm the only person running, every fucking time someone takes the treadmill across from me and makes eye contact, challenging me to a running duel or some shit
>half the time they run for 2 minutes with shit form and leave

i miss the outdoors.

Breathing, pace, posture

Yes. There was this book this guy wrote about the shit he did in some real fucked up fraternity in college. He said he threw up a lot while drinking, eating nasty shit and what not. He wore away most of the enamel on his teeth and started rotting away his teeth by all the puking he did.

I thought I was the only one

I thought cross training was something like swimming or cycling?

>Be 22 year old cocky marine scout sniper
>decide to run Honolulu marathon bc why not
>heavy drinker and smoker at the time
>drink the night before, contemplate not going the morning of but already paid like 100$ so fuck it
>show up, everyone is warming up but I literally never stretch unless I'm forced to
>course is shitty as fuck, seems uphill the whole way (anybody who has run the Honolulu will know this)
>finish in 4:45ish
>9/10 qtpa2t redhead gf is waiting for me at the finish line with six pack of miller high life and pack of marb reds
>all those dirty looks at while everyone is cooling down in kapiolani park and I'm sitting up against a tree drinking and smoking at 10AM
>all those no fucks I give

Well moral of the story is I literally destroyed my body doing that kind of shit and now am on 30% disability. Knees are completely fucked as is lower back. Still run and lift on a regular basis but I have to take extremely good care of my body or I'll be fucked for life. I also don't drink or smoke anymore. Sucks knowing I ever reached my full potential. If I could give myself one word of advice it would be to stretch.

Stretch

halhigdon.com/training/51137/Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

How fucking slow I am, and the inevitable side stitches that will come and make me even slower.

Preworkouts?

Dude fuck overpriced preworkouts for running. Just drink a cup of coffee or pop a caffeine pill.

I constantly think of the point I'm gonna quit (like "ok I'm gonna stop at 7 miles") then I get to that point and I can't think of a good enough reason to quit so I just keep going and repeat until I'm satisfied

That's my worry, running on I've, sliding and falling flat on my face!

What are these preworkouts?

I want to start running, but I'm 235lbs/5'9". Concerned about exploding knees. Would it be safe for me to start Couch to 5k now, or should I focus on getting the weight down with diet change first?

C25k

Daily reminder that HIIT is better than MICT (regular running)

>A 2015 systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials found that HIIT training and traditional endurance training both lead to significantly improved cardiovascular fitness in healthy adults ages 18–45 but greater improvements in VO2 max were seen in those participating in the HIIT exercise regimen

Milanović, Sporiš, Weston, 2015

>A systematic review and meta-analysis of seven small randomized controlled trials found that HIIT (defined as four intervals of four minutes at 85–95% of max heart rate with three-minute intervals at 60–70% of max heart rate) was more effective than moderate-intensity continuous training at improving blood vessel function and markers of blood vessel health.

Ramos et al, 2015

>A 2014 meta-analysis found that the cardiorespiratory fitness, as measured by VO2 max, of individuals with lifestyle-induced chronic cardiovascular or metabolic diseases (including high blood pressure, obesity, heart failure, coronary artery disease, or metabolic syndrome) who completed a HIIT exercise program was nearly double that of individuals who completed a MICT exercise program.

Weston, Wisloff, Coombes, 2014

>heavy smoker and drinker runs marathon in record last place
>this happened

unless you ran consistently every week you're bullshitting

>tfw wanted to do half marathon with roommate
>tfw had Achilles tendonitis for 3 months now and still won't go away no matter how much I stretch or do calf exercises
>tfw probably won't be able to do it now

On a cross training day, would swimming and calisthenics be too much?

I'm talking like pressups, situps, planks, and if I can find somewhere to do it, pullups.

Casual runner for a number of years. 5k 23mins, 10k 54mins and I'll be doing my first 21k soon. I ran on shitty converse shoes at the beginning too like an idiot. World of difference when I bought asics.

GOTTA GO FAST!!!

I'm transitioning to minimalist running. Wish me luck, run bros!

Crosstraining is really anything other than running that builds the muscle or streches it that running doesnt

Still do C25k

Thats why you do a detailed training plan right? I do Long runs then sprit training then hills then intervals and everyones told me thats one of the best ways... isnt it?

No. In fact, it will benefit you a lot.

What are different goals? Long distance runners don't excluse HIIT. Wonder why they do hill sprints?

Depends on who you talk to. To me, cross training is any other workout than running. You can continue cardio by cycling or swimming. You can work on your strength by lifting. Crosstrainjng helps by helping you heal from the high impact from running while focusing on other exercises that running doesn't develop well but still uses.

Shit running form and slow down. Chevk your shoes.

Focus on scenery, trying to trace patterns in my head if I don't have something like an idea on my head I'm trying to figure out. I usually get light bulb moments that help me write papers on or great ideas to present.

More anecdotal than anything else--i run better in the morning since I eat prior to running vs the evening when I eat after I run. The runners I know that do better in the afternoon eat prior to running vs in the morning. It's the same with morning runners.

If you completely focus on running than other forms of crosstraining, then yes. Long distance runners don't neglect other forms of running. They include it all, including sprints. Anyone who puts their eggs in one basket is an idiot or a HIIT-tard.

vapor gloves reporting in

the best shoe

I'm the exact same but I don't know anything more about it

I use my phone for tracking my runs but when it freezes the battery dies after like 10 minutes. What do?

just run, user

on easy runs I run through a busy public park and watch the qts

no, tracking is better for both training progress and my own feeling