QTDDTOT

Is it okay to replace Barbell exercises with Dumbbell ones if that's all I have access to? When picking a routine

Other urls found in this thread:

wsj.com/articles/research-shows-zero-calorie-sweeteners-can-raise-blood-sugar-1410973201
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2900484/
youtube.com/watch?v=BuCM7_bzkFo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no but it's better than doing nothing

Thanks. It's only temporary.
Btw I have another question.
I've read around that some people choose not to do flat bench press at all and instead replace it with DB incline bench press and weighted Chest Dips. Is this acceptable?

Whats a good site that can pin down your tdee really well I've been trying to find one but my autistic ass cant seem to find the right one.

This is coming from a complete novice but ive done that and have noticed more gains. Just remember to do the full range of motion and not pussy reps

I think I slightly fucked up my left wrist today on OHP. It's not terrible, just some pain, but should I switch up my routine for my wrist involved compound lifts (Power Cleans and OHP next week)? I won't do PCs until wednesday and OHP until next friday, but I usually do a 5x5 of full weight all the way through, should I do something like 1/3 2/3 3/3 2/3 1/3 for those lifts?

*Pain might be gone by monday, but just checkin what others say in case it doesn't

I have no interest in lifting weights. But I do have an interest in swimming. I've always been skinny fat. I've heard that purely swimming won't get you big, but can get you lean which is pretty much my goal: not to be soft but lean and firm. Is this true?

Wtf do i do now

you can do whatever you wanna do

dips are great

db inclines are pretty good

you have to swim sprints, so 25-50 meter fast as you can

Bump
Thanks for the reassurance

What do you think you do now? You go on a fucking date

How do I close

So I'm looking at Swim HIIT routines. Sweet. So if I couple my swimming with a calorie tracked, high protein diet, can I transition from skinny fat to lean? Or skinny lean rather kek

possibly

Lmao you don't even deserve to close. She already agreed you bum.

Pic for reference

desu, db chest press is better than bb. now, this is NOT the case with squats, but do what you have access to.

REEEEEEEEEE

I competed internationally and went to Olympic trials for swimming. You're kind of right. I don't think there's anything better to get a lean body, but what says is nonsense. You're going to have to do serious meters and you're not going to like it at all. You probably won't have the time required for it. Plus, every swimmer still does weights (most sprinters actually do more weights than swimming now).

Also if you're not 12 years old at the most, you might as well do rowing. The main thing people get from swimming, aside from great cv endurance, is it encourages shoulder growth when they're younger. You'd get better results from rowing for what you want.

Can i progress 531 slower, so that i increase per cycle 5lbs on lower body and 2,5 on upper body?
i really want to make slow but steady progress

Some people don't do flat bench. Usually, these are people who have lifted for a while and have shoulder issues. Dips are great, but I would also suggest doing incline and/or overhead pressing DB or BB as it is much easier to adjust the weight and progression on the latter lifts.

Thanks dude for taking the time. I'll seriously look into rowing. Funny thing, my friend actually invited me to go rowing next summer. So on a regular basis can I use the rowing machines? Are these okay? Naturally I wont be able to do real rowing regularly. And I assume I'd have to aim for distance on rowing machines right? As opposed to doing HIIT.

So just to sum up: rowing + calorie counted high protein diet + consistency = lean slender body. Is pic related realistic to what I can expect? I'm flabby and soft in areas of my body but I'm not worried about loose skin at all

Yes. So what you do is instead of adding 10lbs and 5lbs to the lower body and upper body lifts per cycle, you instead add 5lbs and 2.5lbs per cycle.

Cool, in my routine I'll definitely be incorporating OHP DB along with incline DB press and chest dips.

HIIT would actually be much more effective on rowing than for swimming. You could do it but you'd really have to put in maximum effort every session, otherwise it's just a waste of time.

I think I'll stick to the rowing now after reading about it. Any awesome rowing routines/program that come to mind? I'm looking right now

What's a good alternative to Flat bench press?

How the hell do you eat 2500 calories in 3 meals?
Im working and cant eat during working hours.
My lunch and dinner consist of 300g of chicken breast, one bowl of white rice, some salad and one orange.
That means I eat 550x2 plus breakfast which result to 1500 calories per day????

Flat dumbbell bench press

Dips

Are you fucking retarded? add a fucking snickers bar to each meal and you got your 2500 calories

Hey Kyle
My goal: aesthetics
My questions
1. Is leg press machine really that bad? Will using it over barbell squats make a difference with my aesthetic results?

2. Opinion on coolcicadas PPL routine to reach my goal? I plan on staying natty

Friend claims this is acceptable bottom of range of motion for leg press. What do you think?

Are you autistic? Ask her to go out for drinks or something you dumbass

range of motion depends on what you wanna train, longer ROM you activate more musclefibers, I usually do shorter ROMs when Im too exhausted to do full ROM, but only doing the short ones are not recommended if you want to build muscle more efficiently

Just do DB flat bench instead of BB flat, its what i have been doing for over a year

I've never been able to take pills with just water (long story...) but I am on multiple supplements which I take in the morning and evening with a diet soda. But apparently diet soda is just as bad about raising glucose levels as regular soda, so I need something new to take pills with that isn't full of sugar/sweeteners. Preferably something I can take with me, but not necessary. Any ideas Veeky Forums? Currently cutting btw.

THICC UNRELATED

Mass gaining protein shake with whole milk for breakfast/dinner

1. Yes and yes

2. Its bad. Do a beginner routine like everyone else

Diet soda does not raise your glucose levels. I don't know where you people get that stupid ass idea. It has zero, repeat ZERO, fucking calories how the fuck would it increase your blood sugar?

Sometimes I have the same problem. I don't know if it's because the water doesn't mask the taste of the pill as well, because juice/milk/just about anything else makes taking pills easier.

What about those little bottles of flavouring like pic related? You add a drop or two and it makes your water flavoured. There's a bunch of different types, for some time I was using those Crystal Light packages that you pour into bottled water.

It's still technically artificial sweetener stuff, but it's portable and maybe better than an entire can of diet pop.

wsj.com/articles/research-shows-zero-calorie-sweeteners-can-raise-blood-sugar-1410973201

There are tons of other sites that would disagree with you. There's this new website called Google. It's pretty cool. You can put words in it and it gives you free information. Try putting in 'diet soda glucose levels'. Hours of fun right there!

I have those, but I'm still trying to eschew fake sugars. Would love fruit juice, but that shit is pure glucose...

True, but if it comes down to having a bit of fake sugar vs. going through a struggle to take pills with water, this might be one of your better options. I suppose you could only drink as much as you need to get the pills down. A couple mouthfuls of fake sugar drink every day probably won't make a big difference in the long run.

I feel like you need to address the not being able to take pills with water that is weird. But also there is milk, coffee, tea, if you count the sugars into your macros fresh fruit juice is more than pure glucose, fibre and vitamins are good for you

Valid point I suppose. Gonna research the amount of fake sugar between the two real quick.

>wsj

here's a real study:

"The indicated increased clearance rate of plasma Phe after albumin may be caused by the significant increase of insulin, on which aspartame had no effect"

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

plenty of other choice quotes about how aspartame does not increase insulin or blood glucose levels if you have access to the study. which is to be completely expected from something that has ZERO FUCKING CALORIES. one more time: glucose is caloric; it has to come from something with calories; diet soda has no calories whatsoever

It's not the only source. And until there are as many credible sources as there are HURR WSJ articles, I probably won't be convinced.

dude i'm a biochem major at the #1 biochem department in the country. the idea that something that has zero calories (you know, like water) would lead to an increase in blood sugar is asinine. it's fucking absurd on its face.

Tell you what. Post some kind of proof that backs up that claim and I will let you win this argument. No contest, will 100% believe you if you are what you say you are.

Does anyone have the "average fitizen" pic? It's Wojak (aka le feels man) with
>hoodie to conceal gains
>ample capacity for feels
>mega quads
>10% homo

it is because some retarded logic like "It tricks your taste buds thinking its sugar and you start sending out insulin derp" it doesnt work that way, Coke Zero and light is sweetened with Aspartame(atleast over here), aspartame does NOT trigger any glucose levels or insulin, but sweeteners like Sucralose DOES increase insulin.

Can anyone recommend some good dumbbell-only intermediate workouts?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2900484/

Here's a study showing it does affect insulin. Your link sucked by the way. Would you hand in such a poorly formatted research study and expect a good grade?

>make one weird move
>pinch nerve in the neck

It just keeps happening. Paralyzing pain, basically can't move from the neck down, arm gets numb or hurts from the shoulder down. Ibuprofen doesn't help. I use Diclofenac orally and the gel and when it gets so bad that I can't get any sleep all I can do is go to my GP, he injects some painkiller in my neck and sends me home. It usually takes about 1 week until the pain is gone, but reoccurs pretty much every month, at least every other month.

Question is: What are preventative measures to avoid pinching a nerve in your neck or back? Obviously, strengthening the muscles in that area should help, but wouldn't it be very likely that it happens again during the workout?

Have to add, I have scoliosis, especially in the upper part of the spine.

>scoliosis in the upper spine

Well gee retard i dunno what could be causing that. Must not be drinking enough whole milk and taking your spine supplements.

How about you go see a doctor instead of begging for shitty medical advice on a Brazilian hiking forum?

There's no treatment.

Starting on SL 5x5 since I now have a squat rack and a barbell + weights (was just working with dumbbells and an EZ-curl bar before). Unfortunately I won't have a bench until the end of next week. Is there anything I can do to replace bench presses until my bench comes in?

Floor press. Weighted pushups.

Anyone know anything about muscle spasms?
I've had intermittent neck spasms in one spot for a couple of weeks now and it's worrying me a bit.

Is it normal for a 5'9", 154 pounds (70KG) male to not be able to cut and eat 1500 cals a day? I literally cannot eat less than 1700, the initial amount was a goal I put for myself mostly based on calorie calculators which tell me I should be normally eating around 2000 cals a day and that in order to lose weight I would need to eat 500 calories less than that. I just can't bring myself to though, I feel like a disgusting fat fuck.

I wouldnt say this is full ROM, imagine he was squatting to that depth.

Eat a banana.

300 cals is an acceptable deficit. As long as you eat under your maintenance it should be okay, but the "optimal" deficit is supposed to be 500 cals.
Also, eat more fibers. You'll be more satiated for fewer calories (and read the sticky if you haven't already).

... would you elaborate? Does potassium have something to do with muscle spasm?

I'm on a intermediate level by now, according to symmetric strength, should I move from my 3x a week full body routine that's been kinda of stalling and go to something like PPL or routine? I wanted a good routine that made me go 5 times a week to the gym.

Bumping

Bumpity bump

Any good routines without dl or leg press?

I know there's pretty much nothing to do about stretch marks outside laser surgery or the likes but even then.

I got this prunus dulcis oleosomes oil, it has that as the only ingredient. Is this fine to PREVENT stretch marks from happening? any dermatologist here?

You can do PPL if you want, intermediate just means that you shouldn't try and progress linearly any more. You now have to modulate frequency and intensity in some manner. Either 5/3/1 style where you taper from high volume down to low, Or weekly undulating volume like Texas method where you have a high intensity day work towards a single heavy set and a volume day lighter weight for as many sets as possible.

What's the point of Tinder if you can't fuck the women without a condom on?

It's tough I tell ya

Is there a template on how to build your own PPL? Can anyone link me?

In my experience, you absolutely can replace barbells for most exercises. Only things I'd say you couldn't do it effectively on are deadlifts. Squats might be a little more tricky because your body will need to stabilize more, but there's also other variations such as goblet squats.
I recommend checking out Scott Herman's barbell vs dumbbell videos where he weighs the pros & cons of both and decide for yourself.
youtube.com/watch?v=BuCM7_bzkFo

I feel too ill to lift, should I rest up and return to lifting on Tuesday?

Not that I know of, but here's the basics:

>Go around your shoulder girdle in equal volume.
>For strength; main lift>assistance lift
>For "shape"; main lift>isolation lift

I can help you bro. You can apply GZCL principles to your PPL.

Pick one movement that you want to make your main movement, your strength movement. For example, overhead press for push, deadlift for pull, front squat for legs. You train this movement first, and in lower rep ranges (1-5 reps or so).

Tier 2 is 1-2 exercises that are in between strength and hypertrophy. Ideally they will complement your tier 1 movements. For example dips, weighted chins, and stiff legged deads. 5-10 reps or so.

Tier 3 is gonna be 2-4 exercises that are less fatiguing to your CNS. They'll involve mostly a focus on very specific muscles and you're focusing on the pump to cause growth and prevent injury. Examples could be lateral raises, bicep curls, and calf raises.

Hope this helps.

Nothing wrong with skipping a day, just don't make it a habit. General rule is, if it's in your head then exercise, if it's in your chest then skip cardio, if it's in your gut stay home.

In the running thread, some guys were talking about "preworkouts" for when I'm doing long distance running. What are preworkouts?

Is bulking for a natty really a meme?

I think I'm a hard-gainer, and over the last year I really pushed myself to eat a lot of food. I gained 30lbs (without gaining too much additional fat) and have been wondering how to best approach my next year of lifting.

Should I just eat till I'm full and not worry about a caloric surplus or any of that stuff, provided I'm getting enough protein?

Cutting and bulking is only for competing bodybuilders, a normal person is better off lean bulking, roids or not makes no difference

fitnessfrog is fine

Bulking and cutting is not a meme.

If you are eating pretty consistently everyday, and adding weight to the bar, no need to change.

A good rule of thumb is bulk until you can't see your abs.

Fwiw ill be going all out till mid march / april

I don't remember any of that in any of the /run/ threads, but on my long, slow distance days, my "pre-workout" is a banana, 20 fl oz of water, and an anti-diarrhea med.

Theres a run thread ATM that is mentioning pre work out

Anti-diarrhea?

They could be warm-up exercises or stretches (doubtful) or supplements that are taken before a work out (caffeine, creatine, meth, etc)

U/L split or PPL for them natty aesthetic gains?

I thought /run/ threads stopped being posted because they were nothing but trolls and "how does I post the same question and get the same response thread after thread?"

I'm one of those people who gets runner's diarrhea really bad even if i poop prior to running. So I take an anti-diarrhea med prior to running.

been sick in bed since last wednesday, last workout was monday, probably won't be able to get in until tomorrow or monday

Just basically been eating at maintenance and resting, anything else I can do to preserve my gains?

So I gather that I should just try to eat whenever I feel hungry, while also eating mostly clean.

What I had been doing over the last year was really fucking difficult. I felt like puking due to sheer stomach volume after a lot of meals. I think that I am going to stop trying so hard to get calories in.

Your gains will be fine lad. Practice posing in the mirror and flexing, srs.

Just track what you eat and your weight, after like a week just add up all the calories and /7 and adjust for any weight change

preferring U/L here

My BP has stalled for like 2 months because I have nobody to spot me at the gym since I go at weird hours and I'm too much of a pussy to push myself without one. How badly would I be cheating myself if I tried supplementing with the smith machine?

Back when I was busy I'd do a U/L/full body routine. That way if I got busy I'd still be able to get at least the full body workout in once a week.

Bench in the squat rack.

I have never heard of runners diarrhoea!

I haven't lifed in two years and this is my only new years resolution. When I was lifting I only went to the gym i.e. I ate the same amount I normally do; 1200 calories a day (5'6 manlet). Needless to say I looked like shit and stopped.

I want to start again but I literally feel full most of the time and I only eat once a day (As well as the fact I'm busy from 7AM to 9PM. What are easier ways to ingest 1:1 protein:weight as well as get about 3000 calories daily?

Also, for the workout plans are the ones in the sticky still highly recommended or is there one generally recommended by Veeky Forums for beginner?

bump

So, a week ago I went to see my old mates from school I used to go to

Needles to say, I got completely hammered. I don't usually drink, but this was the first time I got actually drunk

I drank about 15-20 shots of whiskey, moonshine, liquer, vodka and absinthe (we played Roulette). I drank it by itself, without any water or crap like that

When I got home, I was throwing up for nearly three hours. Everytime I put my head back I thought I was going to die

My question is: undoubtedly I threw up everything I had in my stomach, did those calories from the alcohol count? I was there for maybe 4 hours

Thanks in advance