Deadlifting help

So I've deadlifted a few times, but the last time I fucked what feels like a disc in my lower back. I typically do either 1-2 pl8. I constantly check my form when I'm deadlifting and it's by no means perfect, but it doesn't seem bad. I'm worried if I continue deadlifting I'll fuck up my back permanently.

Any ideas as to what I'm probably doing wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JodMxA4tN6I?t=292
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't deadlift if it hurts you

> last time I fucked what feels like a disc in my lower back
> I typically do either 1-2 pl8.
>my form...by no means perfect

C'mon, bud, you've answered your own question here. Get your form 100%. Go lighter until you can, then do a progression. Don't ego lift and don't just fuck around.

Is it crucial for deadlifting to keep your shoulderblades contracted? I understand that it helps keep your (lower) back straight but it is by far the hardest part of the dl form for me.
Currently trying to perfect my form before going >2 plates

If you feel your form is not enough to get you hurt, then you must be doing bent over rows. You hurt yourself doing rows

Or your form really did hurt you.

Not really, at least not for me. I focus more on getting my lats tight and fixed downward.

Also, breathing into my belly and bracing myself helped me fix my SI joint problems, which caused me lower pack pain when I started hitting 2pl8.

i dont know what is your weight and shit,
but if you have major pain while only doing 1-2 plates that is pretty good indicator that you have already close to snapping shit up.

I deadlift 140kg for reps with SHIT form (not that im proud of it, still working on it since im lanky noob) and lot of rounding and i dont have lower back pain

you might want to check if you didnt have some sort of injury or pathology before you even started lifting due to lifestyle or shit

just my thoughts

as for shoulder blades being retracted, watch chris duffin deadlift coaching video with supertraining, he explains how to posititon and brace your upper back just before lift

Are you sure it's a disc and not a muscle you've strained? Look up the Valsalva manuever if you want to keep your lower back muscles intact.

If you want real help you'll post a video. Otherwise we're just left guessing

not op here

provide input how to get into better position on the start, i feel like its my primary issue, hips shooting too high and not working with my legs enough

i will practice it next deadlift day
no, didnt have pain from lifting like this, just sore middle trapezius

There are a ton of very helpful videos on youtube. Literally just search "proper deadlift form." Having a visual aid will help a lot more than a text reply.

Imo, the best thing you can do for your deadlift is to record yourself (from the side, of course). You can't just your DL form from the front and you shouldn't be cocking your neck to the side to stare in a side mirror. Use a lighter weight than normal, record your sets, then compare with youtube tutorials.

Note, its 3pl8 that i pulled for reps first time, wanted to see form breakdown

Some people suggested doing snatch grip deadlifts to force my hips lower,
I have wingspan 10cm bigger than my height at 187cm

Also my glutes arent probably doing their work and it ends up being a crane like stiff legged

Fug

Learn to hip hinge + brace properly

L-spine doesn't look horrific, you just can't seem to keep an extended t-spine.

work on strengthening your upper back, get your lats packed upon set-up and stop thinking about merely pulling the bar off the floor, think about driving your feet into the ground

yeah thats what i thought

i seem to not engage my lats strong, but i do brace decently
my lats are still weak, im lifting for 3months and i can do like 5 wide grip pullups only at best

but its getting better

If your back was straight it most likely wasn't a disc.
Sounds more like a pulled spinal erector to me, happened to me one of the first times I deadlifted.
Just take it easy for a week and once you're better, brace your fucking core.

>not working with legs
Yeah I see that in your webm

So if you look at the last pull in my webm you'll see that I'm pulling the slack out of the bar before I even bend my knees to initiate the pull, I think about driving my ass out (think anterior pelvic tilt since I have a propensity for lumbar flexion, you may not need that cue) before the pull.

The setup is definitely the most important thing for deads and bench imo

Shoulders in front of bar instead of over it
Not sitting back enough
Not engaging hips throughout the lift

just focus on squeezing your chest up, that'll force u to keep a neutral spine unless you start hitching the weight

Squeeze chest up. It will feel very awkward and tight if done right, not painful but uncomfortable.

Pull slack out of the bar.

Push the ground away, rather than pulling the bar.

Brace your entire core.

when i squeeze my lats and chest hard, and like reverse shrug with my shoulders i feel pain in my left pec, or just underneath it
also some poppin at times

bad or really bad?

right pec*

what the fuck lately i keep fucking up the left right for some reason

I get pain in my sternum when I do that. Not sure if it's indicative if injury, so don't lose sleep over it

i will be monitoring it anyway

it doesnt really get into way of lifting for me

just awkward

I think it's normal to get little niggles here and there. They have a tendency to pop up periodically

Hey man, my primary issue is coming down on the deadlift.

I get that you're meant to break at the knees first and send your ass back, but after that the weight rolls down my thighs and feels like it's pulling the lower back in a bad way that's hard to avoid without just full on dropping the weights. What am I missing?

Yeah don't bend your knees until you pass them so you don't catch your kneecap and blow it out on the way down. The bar shouldn't really slide down your thighs, only up.

Try that and see if it helps, be wary, a lot of injuries are caused by trying to control the descent too much. If you're on a deadlift platform, don't worry about coming down too fast, if you're not, get deadlift couple mats and put those under the plates like webm related

when did you start to use belt ?

btw arent you pulling the bar too much backwards ?
you could reduce rom a bit

Got a belt shortly after 5pl8

Helps squats more than deads

>bar too much backwards
Huh?

youtu.be/JodMxA4tN6I?t=292

4:53