How will you be exercising your brain in 2017 Veeky Forums?

How will you be exercising your brain in 2017 Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t9gzZJ344Co
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages#Common_reference_levels
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've started reading extremely popular books on English to better my English language skills and to finally be able to call myself literate.
Right now I'm on Fifty Shades of Grey to finally get why it was so popular in the world.

If you're reading a bunch of popular books read Catcher in the Rye.

Read literature to learn English.

I'll be going through this list, hope to finish them all minus what I've already read by the end of the year.

>heres my overrated reddit fedora core crap

thanks

I already read this book as well as 1984, Brave New World, Jane Eyre, all Sherlock Holmes novels, all five game of thrones books or other classical and or popular books

might recommend me some other interesting books

Here

Some of that is meme shit and you will recognize it once you start reading it, Ulysses and Finnegans Wake especially. Do it like me and start at 100 and work backwards, not everyone is going to read Gravity's Rainbow right off the bat and enjoy/understand/appreciate it.

I've read some of these books and don't really get the hype about

>Moby Dick
>The Bible
>War & Peace
>Faust
>The Catcher in the Rye

That's fine, from your list I would guess that War and Peace is probably the best but I love the Russian romantics. Anna Karenina is personally my favorite book.

The list is akin to what people who actually study and get elitist about literature enjoy as well, so probably not for everyone!

I'd recommend A Picture of Dorian Grey for ya.

I'll be learning a language, first just with Duolingo, to get my vocab, then start listening to radio stations, or find the odd tv show.

And then, once I'm confident enough, surprise my family that I can speak the language too. I won't have it perfect, I'll get things wrong, but then I can keep practicing.

Funny how by far the best book on here is The Magic Mountain and it's not even close to being on top.

>Russian romantics
I also love some Russian authors. Crime & Punishment is my favorite book.
I really liked the "peace parts" especially around in War & Peace while the "war parts" were just extremely boring for me. I don't think it's bad just too overrated for my taste.

>pic related is what I've read so far

*especially around Prince Bolkonski and Pierre

Glad to hear it, it's definitely on my list. And there's a miniseries with Dano that I bet is God tier as well.

Under the Volcano got criminally slept on as well.

>And then, once I'm confident enough, surprise my family

I'm planning on trying this too, but with piano. Been saving money for lessons and a decent piano since october. Managed enough for about a year of hourly lessons, 1 every week.

youtube.com/watch?v=t9gzZJ344Co

what language?

>telling someone who may not have fully mastered the english language to read joyce
>telling anyone to read joyce
fuck joyce

Polish.

Will you need lessons? I was thinking about getting a keyboard, and just learning on my own?

The Bible is religious literature. It really should only be read as such, i.e. reading it for religious guidance or whatever, not just for fun.

First reply I specifically mentioned the two Joyce novels as being meme choices. No one actually reads Finnegans Wake.

rolling for what book I'm going to read now

Good roll desu.

Is it too hard for someone with B2-C1 level English?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages#Common_reference_levels

Yes. I've read amazon reviews and more than a few native speakers had some serious problems understanding this book.

It's honestly something that's meant for academics and people who study English as a language professionally.
It's not a casual read or something that even the average or above average native speaker can get anything out of.
It's intentionally dense and confusing.

I want to start reading more

I'll be trying to maintain a 3.5+ GPA in electronic engineering.

shit's about to get hard though

I try to read 50 books a year as well as stay informed on current events. I'm also interested in physics and partical theory although the math eludes me. I always say I'll learn Spanish but I never make the time

By being a doctor.

Inb4 mad brainlets who think they have an iq of over 130 because they took an autism test when they were 5

>going back to school for computer science

>teaching myself web frameworks on the side

>planning on reading 24 books, alternating between sci fi / fantasy (for fun), literary fiction (for culture), and nonfiction (for knowledge), would be more but i'm not sure how much time i'll have with school and plus i'm planning on reading some behemoths

>learning French, maybe Spanish

>going to fuck around with stuff like arduino and raspberry pi

>I don't get the hype about the bible
Lol you're fucking retarded

Reading fiction/nonfiction, programming things I didn't know how to before, practicing math problems. That's about it.

how old was the oldest person in med school? I've thought about pursuing it, but I'm old as fuck and not sure if it's worth chasing an old dream.

roll

I'm beginning pharmacy school in the fall. Been out of college for a year now, feels good to go back

Well, first of all i'm in England if that makes any difference to you.

I actually did a graduate entry course where the average age was 26 and I enrolled when I was 21 so I was the odd one out really. The oldest person in my intake was 34 and had a PhD, but a few years before I started we had a 55 year old ex army pilot that graduated. The oldest person on the regular program was 38 and had 2 kids.

Never give up on your dreams bro, if you're smart and genuinely care for your fellow man then you should definitely join the ranks.

I've got two bachelor's degrees to finish in the next two years, so that should keep me busy.
I'd also like to read something that's not a science textbook or a philosophical treatise, but we'll see if I actually have time.

> what are you doing to get smarter Veeky Forums
> i'm going to read books and learn a new language
> in reality you're all lazy underachieving pieces of shit because that's the true nature of the human race and the majority of the human population

Thanks man, I'll look into it.

You people act like language learning software and reading is some kind of fucking accomplishment. Learn a hard skill. Learn woodworking or programming or something. You should already be able to play language games and read a book.

>Projecting this hard

>acting like learning programming is a fucking accomplishment

It's a logical extension of thought. Toddlers can do it on human brains. Subconsciously.
>it's how they rewire their parents to tend to their every need at all times of the day

This

In order to to make new neural pathways and improve the plasticity of the brain you have to challenge yourself with tasks other than reading. Learning a new dance, musical instrument fits the bill but don't think reading in itself will help you get gains.

Think of a book that both starts and ends on the same sentence, written in a fever dream about the death of a man who probably didn't die or kept oscillating through the spectrum of living and non existence or something

Pic related started rereading these from child in anticipation for the show

>entertaining myself with fictional stories will increase my intelligence
low IQ brainlets detected.
fiction is low brow. pick up a math book. something as basic as set theory will change your world view

>Reading fiction
People don't actually do this, right? Might as well just watch anime.

>a book about lolis is top 10
Seems about right

Loli is the thinking man's fetish.

>The Catcher in the Rye

Why do people like that shit book?

because dude weed lmao

Nabokov's a pretty fucking good writer mate. The book was more about the lolicon than the loli herself anyways.

I've started meditating, I'm going to do ~20 minutes every morning and night

How long does it take before you start to get somewhere with it? I feel relaxed and slightly more focused after a session but people swear that it's the key to totally changing your mindframe throughout the day. Is it a meme like "enlightenment"?

As a native English speaker, and a decently literate Spanish speaker, what's the next best language to learn?

I know technically it'd be Mandarin, then like Arabic, just by numbers, but I don't really have much interest in those cultures, can't imagine I'd really use it. If I do anything Asian I'd probably go Japanese.

What about German? Looks like it's the most common language across Europe. Any thoughts?

Roll.

Specifically focus on problems at hand and allow yourself to work through them.
You don't just clear your mind and magically start levitating. Once I'm in the relaxed state I think of what's been causing me stress, and why I'm allowing it to stress me, and what can be done about it, and the same thing applied to things about insecurities and personal faults.
You'll get better at achieving a clearer state of mind. 3 days and you won't be adept at anything. Keep at it!

I get what youre saying. Genesis sounds like it was written by a 10 year old. To get the most out of a religious text just read it as if it was stories.

Russian's an option if you want a bit more of a challenge than Spanish/German

Lol

This list is terrible for someone looking to get into literature. Some of the books here are the equivalent of post ironic memes for someone who's never seen the internet. Reading backward as other suggested is a good idea if you have too. Still, this is not the best list

>reading fiction shit
roll

Going to uni to study mathematics

Feels good man

I'm also considering making a real effort to learn Japanese (not for anime, but just to experience their culture better) , but I'm not sure if I have the discipline to put that on my plate. I """""""""need"""""""" Veeky Forums endless scrolling time.

yeah.. if someone saw this list and fucking ulysses was the first book they attempted to read, they'd probably give up altogether on literature

*tips fedora*

>reading nonfiction
People dont actually do this do they? Might as well just watch fox news

You have no concept of intelligence and how it is grown. Its just like a muscle. If you exercise it and push its limits it will grow
>tfw theres no hgh for noggin gains

Holden is relatable. Hes a priviledged faggot who constantly whines about what a martyr he is. If that doesnt describe everyone who reads classic literature for fun then idk what does

yes read it